1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Tanvir Ahmed criticises selectors for ignoring him

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Jun 29, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    LAHORE - Tanvir Ahmed, the discarded Pakistani fast bowler, is devastated at being continuously ignored by the selectors and feels that he has always given his best for the country.

The 33-year-old made his first-class debut in 1999 and after consistently performing for Karachi in the domestic cricket for almost a decade; the fast bowler debuted for Pakistan in 2010 against South Africa in United Arab Emirates (UAE).

The Kuwait-born cricketer picked up six wickets in his very first match at Abu Dhabi and impressed with his nagging line and length and the ability to move the ball in the air as well as off the pitch.

Tanvir has so far played four Tests, two One Day Internationals and a T20 for the country. His stats in the longer version of the game are quite reasonable as he picked up 16 wickets at an average of 24.56.

On top of that, the fast bowler is more than handy with the bat as he has already scored a half-century in Test cricket, which ironically came in the last Test he played against West Indies at Basseterre and since then, he has been sidelined by the Pakistan Cricket Board.

In a match dominated by spinners, Tanvir got to bowl only 12 overs but the lanky cricketer did pick up a couple of cheap wickets. While speaking to Pakpassion, Tanvir expressed his disappointment over being dropped even after performing well in both the departments of the game.

“Even in my last Test match against the West Indies I scored 57 in the first innings and because it was a turning track I was only given the opportunity to bowl 12 overs but I still managed to take 2 wickets for 32 runs. After that I was dropped without any explanation,” Tanvir said. Karachi’s player claims that he can serve the country as an all-rounder if the selectors show faith on his abilities.

He expressed, “I’m really puzzled and shocked by my treatment and I think I have been treated unfairly. I performed with the ball and with the bat, my batting average for Pakistan is better than some all rounders yet I am supposed to be a bowler.”

http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-n...r-ahmed-criticises-selectors-for-ignoring-him

2. Zeeraq

Zeeraq Talented

Apr 28, 2012
    Well it was quite a shocking decision from PCB to sack him for no reason, He's better then Cheema

3. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    16 wickets in 4 games with an average of about 23. That include a game against saffers on a dead pitch. Plus he was also a decent batsman.. Dont know why they dropped him :facepalm

4. AZK

AZK Emerging Player

Mar 3, 2010
    certainly isn't better than Cheema, but I do feel for him.

his biggest issue was fitness I would say, would really struggle to come on for a 2nd or 3rd spell.

but did not deserve to be cast out, definitely.

5. Zeeraq

Zeeraq Talented

Apr 28, 2012
    What have Cheema done in Tests to be labeled as better then Tanvir?? Tanvir got a 6fer against South Africa and played an all important role to defeat WI in the 2nd Test.

6. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    he was very much consistent n was surely better than cheema and to add to the bowling, his batting was the best amongst our tail-enders. #iqbalqasimubeauty

7. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Though i feel for tanvir ahmed, but he should had not done this interview, as he is already in reserves lista for bowlers for the test series, and cause of this interview, who knows pcb might have dropped him..

I really dont believe that this was an interview, but more of a chit chat between a journalist and tanvir ahmed, who then published it as an article

8. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    shahrukh619 I think it was a PP interview.

Tanvir Ahmed tbh had exactly what we need...fine new ball bowler and sturdy at the tail

9. AAKS

AAKS Youngsta Beauty

Sep 18, 2011
    He is a much better test bowler than anyone in our current squad including Cheema. And to add to that, he is a fine batsman down the order. Its really a disgrace that he has been ignored for no good reason

10. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Its unfair that Sami is in place of him in the test squad you could argue. Tanveer not making the final XI is not the biggest of surprises over Gul and Cheema/Junaid.

11. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    I had raised the same thing about him being dropped from the test squad earlier in another thread aswell.

As AZK has rightly said so that the major thing that hampered Tanvir was his over all fitness levels which weren't that good when it came to his 2nd and 3rd spells mostly so it could be that the PCB has over looked him due to that reason but with the PCB you can't really be too sure as to what has happened for his not being in the side.

From his side, he should be atleast trying to improve his fitness levels as with his age being nearly 34 now he doesn't have much time on his side as I don't see him playing for more than 1 or 2 years max that too only if he can significantly improve his fitness levels and show he can go through 2nd and 3rd spells without struggling much.

12. Karachi-King

Karachi-King Talented

Jun 4, 2011
    his nickname is aunty tanvir lol!

he can be good for english conditions and south african conditions. but he would always look exhausted in his 2nd and 3rd spells

13. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    Cheema is better than Tanvir:facepalm. Only if he is your garaien ( from your village):D

14. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
    He should go back to domestic, improve his fitness and pick up wickets rather than criticising the selectors.

15. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    Issue with Tanveer, beyond the stats, is his role in the team. He is a work horse the guy who is suppose to run in all day and bowl line and length. You can't be that guy with Tanveer's fitness level. His drop is pace was alarming in his 2 or 3 rd spell. Plus he isnt a spring chicken either.
    That being said he deserve to be in the list of top 20 test players in Pakistan. He is horse for a specific course.

16. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    ^I agree, i saw some of his clips against saffers in dead pitches of UAE and he was swinging the ball at good pace.

If his pace is good, and he can swing the white ball as good as he does the red ball, can we use him in our T20 side, we rely too much on gul in the bowling department, and srilankan pitches are not exactly english in nature.

17. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    ^^

A) Grammar on my first post was atrocious I dont know how you understood anything I said
    B) He is a swing version of Rao. Those type of guys don't last long unless they are playing for the Kiwi's.

18. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    What wrong has he done to be sent to domestic?