Test squad for next series?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Shahzad.Firdous, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Looking at players' performance on this tour, which players would you retain for next test series? There are still 4 days to go and a lot can happen but still you would have gotten a general idea by now. For me, next test series:

1. Imam
    2. Shan
    3. Azhar
    4. Babar
    5. Fawad Alam
    6. Asad Shafiq
    7. Rizwan
    8. Yasir Shah
    9. Abbas
    10. Shaheen
    11. Naseem Shah
    Reserves: Musa Khan, Usman Shinwari, Shadab Khan, Abid Ali, Harris Sohail.

2. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Abbas will also be dropped after this performance imo. Rahat Ali should replace him.

3. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Yasir Shah should also get a boot here!

4. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Need to try Shadab Khan and Usman Qadir in test cricket imo.

5. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Sorry any test squad which includes Azhar and Asad now is absurd. What good are these two when they haven't done anything for years?

6. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Also, I refuse to give new lineups. The players I know just aren't good enough for the job. All players are just so hit and miss. No consistency. No will to improve. No emotion. No passion

7. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    This was for yesterday. Right now, I can hardly put 2 names on the team sheet which are Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi.

8. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Updated test squad for Sri Lanka:

1. Abid Ali
    2. Ahmed Shahzad
    3. Azhar Ali (on scrutiny) c
    4. Babar Azam vc
    5. Fawad Alam
    6. Asad Shafiq
    7. Rizwan
    8. Shadab Khan
    9. Shaheen Afridi
    10. Naseem Shah
    11. Rahat Ali
    Reserves: Musa Khan, Usman Shinwari, Usman Qadir, Usman Salahuddin, Harris Sohail.

9. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    despite SF changing his mind and putting up the same trash every three seconds, the way they should be doing it is:

1) find out who the top FC performers are on a) career or last 5-10 years to get a sense of relative potential skill set and b) combine that with top performers on recent form over the past two or three years. so you have a measure of both class and form.
    3) weight those two measures depending upon results and standard deviation - favouring consistency.
    4) draw up a short list of the best proven talent on an apples to apples basis.
    5) eliminate those players who have already been selected but have failed.

use any resulting squad as your best pool of players, use whatever skills you think you have for identifying talent (no one globally has ever demonstrated a consistent ability to do this from amateur fans to professional players of administrators afaik) to pick between them. that process doesnt ensure picking the best talent, but its better than any other single method. if a player selected using this method fails after a fair number of chances (30-50 innings in whatever format), move on to the next on the list.

simple, defensible, fair, meritocratic and provably effective.

#endthread

use that method independently for each format, and for the love of God, stop ruining talent and careers by picking players for the wrong format. for example, babar and shan should be the first two names on an ODI squad list, but have as yet been unable to demonstrate they can play the long format. simple and obvious.

without having a current full fc list, its pointless putting up a squad, but from the last time I looked at it a while ago, it would end up looking like something I put up a few days ago:

ive been a high fan of alam, but I think theres a case to be made that its too late now and he's in a decline. Azhar was middle order, so I dont think its too much of a stretch to say that one of saad, or Usman is a relatively good substitute.

good point on the openers though, and I would want to see all the FC openers and see how they have done to work out who actually does deserve a place on merit. dont think Shan does, so would be more inclined to go for abid (fc 40) and even Fakhar (fc40), rather than imam (fc36) and shan (fc34) - thats merit. but there may better players than them if we had the full career stats in front of us.

so if we are looking at merit, and without the full list of stats, certainly this is a more deriving side:

1. abid (40)
    2. fakhar (40)
    3. saad (45)
    4. haris (48)
    5. alam (56)
    6. Salahuddin (47)
    7. Rizwan (44)

= total expected contribution from top 7 of 320 (fc sum of averages)

vs current:

1. shan (34)
    2. Azhar (39)
    3. haris (48)
    4. asad (41)
    5. babar (38)
    6. ifti (40)
    7. Rizwan (44)

(imam (35))

= total expected contribution from top 7 of 284 (fc sum of averages).

thats a massive disparity. averages dont guarantee success, but they should be used to prioritise opportunity. if a player scores heavy in FC, and then is given 30 innings to see if he can step up and fails, then you move on.

even if you consider alam is now closer to 40 as opposed to his career 56, Azhar is probably closer to 25 rather than his career 39 too, so thats pretty much a wash.

10. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Hoping Shan and Asad get centuries tomorrow!!

11. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Unfortunately those selected by Misbah are the best we have and you could tweak one or two here or there but this is the best we have. This combination needs to play for a year so that they get settled, Abid Ali should get a chance and Imamul haq should sit on the bench or dropped@@ Shan has to score in this innings too!! Azhar is also on tight scrutiny, Asad has to get runs too!!

12. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    no they are not the best we have.

asad, azhar, imam and shan all need to go. two because they have proved that they are not up to the mark at this level, and two because they havent proved that they deserve a chance in this format.

but note that these four were mickeys picks before they were misbahs inherited team.

13. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Shan
    Sami
    Azhar (unfortunately since he's captain)
    Babar
    Shafiq
    Fawad
    Rizwan (wk)
    Yasir
    Zafar
    Shaheen
    Nasim

In an ideal world, Abid would get selected ahead of Azhar, and Zeeshan Malik would be in the squad.

14. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    After watching the complete series, I decided this is the best 15 for Pakistan in tests:

1. Azhar Ali c
    2. Shan Masood
    3. Harris Sohail
    4. Babar Azam
    5. Fawad Alam
    6. Asad Shafiq
    7. Rizwan
    8. Yasir Shah
    9. Abbas
    10. Shaheen
    11. Naseem Shah
    Reserves: Rahat Ali, Usman Shinwari, Shadab, Abid Ali.

@Del @godzilla @Ahson8

15. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Azhar Ali i felt was out of nick having not batted at international level for about a year as there were no test matches in the year literally and he does not play short formats. Imam was also out of nick having not played any cricket since World Cup!!

16. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    So you wanna go with 3 pacers on Pakistani wickets, seriously?

I would go with Yasir & Zafar/Nawaz, because both of these can bat too a bit, specially Nawaz.

Only 2 pacers are enough.

17. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    no.

18. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    These are Pakistani pitches which suit reverse swing too and not UAE wickets which are completely spin friendly!! I have Harris Sohail, Fawad Alam and Azhar Ali as backup spinners to Yasir Shah and Shadab is his replacement if he gets injured.

19. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    I would pick Iftikhar as 16th player as we need spin allrounders who can bat,. Fawad Alam, Harris Sohail and Azhar Ali are preferred cus they can bowl as well as bat. Same for Iftikhar.

20. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Still.

21. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    17th player: Kashif Bhatti. If u discover that you need to pick 3 spinners:

1. Azhar
    2. Harris Sohail
    3. Babar
    4. Fawad Alam
    5. Asad Shafiq
    6. Iftikhar Ahmed
    7. Rizwan
    8. Yasir Shah
    9. Kashif Bhatti
    10. Abbas
    11. Shaheen

22. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Why are you so adamant to pick Zafar, who actually spins the ball and can bat too?

23. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Kashif Bhatti is a proper allrounder and he was selected as backup spinner to Yasir Shah on this tour!!