'The art of commentary isn't telling people what they are seeing'

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Don Quixote, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    An excerpt from Ian Chappell's interview;

Are there two or three guys that you like listening to today from the modern generation of commentators?

Of the guys from other countries, I like listening to Nasser Hussain, because I think Nasser looks at the game as a captain - captain of both teams. And I think that's how you got to do it. And I am surprised that more blokes who were captain don't look at it that way. But I think Nasser is very good at looking at why is this team on top, what's that team got to do to get back into the game. He's got ideas and he's got opinions and he's quite prepared to state them. I think that's good.

One of the greatest compliments I was ever paid was from a guy called Pat Murphy. Works in radio for the BBC, also does a bit of writing. I had done an Ashes series in Australia with BBC radio as well Channel Nine. At the end of the series Pat came out to me and he said, "I've worked with you before," he said, "but I really enjoyed this summer. You know the reason why I enjoy working with you?" I said, "No, why is that Pat?" and he said, "Because you tell us what might be about to happen rather than what has happened."

And that's one thing that really annoys me. Every time I hear it on television I can hear Brian Morelli in my ear, saying, "Last ball, last ball, last ball." What he's meaning by that is all you're talking about is the replay and I can hear some commentators actually waiting for the replay to come up before they say something. Now, if you've played ten or 15 years of international cricket and something's just happened on the field, you should not have to wait for a replay before you say something. You should be able to make some comment. What if something goes wrong with the machine downstairs and the replay doesn't come up? You're just going to sit there with nothing? It's very boring television when all you hear is just the last ball, the guy talking about the replay. It will be mostly because he's just talking about what you're seeing. And that's not the art of commentary - telling people what they are seeing.

Source: www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/1047805.html

Wasim Akram shud learn :p

2. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    standards of modern commentary are quite poor, in the era of t20 theres just too much screaming and nonsensical hyping.

doesn't sit right with me, if the crickets exciting, ill be on the edge of my seat, if the cricket is poor, regardless of format a screaming commentator is just annoying.

my tops are nasser, athers, gower, lawry. worst are wasim, gavaskar, shastri, or any sri lankan.

3. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Tony Greig was my favourite. From the current lot Nasser and Athers are good.

4. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
    This was Wasim's hilarious commentary in the t20 the other day rofl

5. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Nasser is a top commentator. Reasonably unbiased and makes bold calls. A good technical analyst and understands the mental side of cricket quite well.

Wasim is fascinating when he talks about how the ball swings and how wrist positions etc. What I find annoying is how he literally reads out the scorecard most of the time.

Pakistan are 200/5 after 39 overs runrate is 5.126726 required rate is 6.782666 Malik is on 25 from 38 and Sarfraz 40/50 at a strike rate of 80. Wood going into his last over and has taken 3/47 economy rate of 5.1767.

Its like chill bruh we can read the scorecard.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Top Spinner

Top Spinner Tracer Bullet

Feb 27, 2013
    Wasim is the worst.period.

7. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    I like bishop. He is awesome.

8. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    The best.

9. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Wasim is embarrassing.

10. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    For wasim, everyone is one of the best fielder in the team lol

11. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    its kinda interesting the first time, but gets a bit staid after hes mentioned it the 39th time. the theory of swing bowling ain't rocket science, its pretty simple. i dont really need to be reminded every game.

also i've heard numerous commentators talk about reverse swing like no one knows what it is. oh you look after one side of the ball, make one side rough, you have to bowl fast, imran, sarfraz..... yada yada yada

i like the older commentators, who were comfortable with silence, benaud was a master of it, would often go a few balls without saying anything if their wasn't any need too.

also hate commentators like mark Nicholas, needlessly praising everyone, to the extent his praise is essentially meaningless. when boycott is pleased with something, you sit and take notice.

12. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Nasser Hussain, Athers, Geoffrey Boycott, Michael Vaughan, Bill Lawry, Dean Jones...all awesome commies. Warne is also very very good.

I discovered Henry Bloomfeld on BBC radio 5 live, also awesome. Gotta say, obviously tuned into BBC 5Live a lot as I was at work and they are awesome to listen to test match cricket for.

13. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Wasim gets a lot of stick for reading out what's on screen - and yes it annoys me too.

But one thing he does do is give some insight in to the game which a lot of pak commentators don't do.

Nasser is good, but he repeats the same tactic over and over again "I'd have a leg slip to Morgan". How many times did we hear that when wahab was bowling? But yes overall he's a good one. Athers is good too.

My favourite commies over the years have been Ian Chappell and boycott. I could listen to Geoffrey all day.

14. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Nasser Hussain best line imo "Australian players are running everywhere" rofl

Bill Lawry and Nasser my favorite

15. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    still better than what we have aka Rameez khushamdi Raja

16. Top Spinner

Feb 27, 2013
    Have you listened him when a spinner is bowling and batsman plays a shot, "Gareat shot against the spin","Gareat shot with the spin".. :fp

17. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Bill Lawry's commentary was an absolute joy, no other comentator has has given me more auditory joyful pleasure than his hyperexcitable dramatic screamings especially when a difficult catch is taken in the deep. He may not be the best but he was the most entertaining for me.

18. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Wasn't a big fan of benaud. He would regularly start chatting about 1965 3rd test at the MCG.

The absolute worst commies are the Aussie C9 ones. They just sit about calling each other by nicknames and engaging in 'banter'. Michael 'Slats' Slater makes me cringe with his bias although I admit I loved how his emotions got the better of him when Johnson got Jimmy anderson out in the Ashes. He seemed to forget he was in the box and started shouted like a fan. ' Your out of there Jimmy!!'

19. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    yeah, slats is annoying, so is healy to some extent. the lawry and greig combo was awesome on aussie commentary, standards have really slipped.

also used to like robin jackmans commentary, had a very smooth and measured delivery. havnt heard him much recently

20. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I slightly disagree with @ElRaja about the commentators screaming/over excited .. yeah there are some like dany morrison and shastri who exaggerate thing bt then there are likes of Ian Bishop and Pomie Mbangwa who make certain moments more memorable. even ramiz raja during that asia cup between Pakistan and India when Afridi hit ashwin for 2 sixes

21. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    he has a lot of faults but at least he's not scared to speak his mind unlike Rameez khusamdi Raja who couldn't even do his job as 3rd man in the test series, always came up with lame views lol

22. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    I think Rameez is still much better than Wasim.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree / Dislike Disagree / Dislike x 1
    • List
  23. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    he's better than Wasim for boot licking if that what you meant to say

24. maddgenius

maddgenius Fantasy Draft Wins: 4

Oct 6, 2014
    How come no one mentioned Bumble?

25. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    aye yaye yaye yaye yaye

26. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Remember the name

CARLOS BRAITHWAITE

27. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Theres a time and a place for it. If you cheer every boundary as if its a world cup thats been won its a bit too much.

28. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Oct 4, 2014
    Robin Jackman passed away due to cancer

29. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    really? his cricinfo / wiki profiles dont mention it :|

30. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    He is alive.

31. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    What?! No man, he was diagnosed but hasnt passed away, not that i know of

32. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Oct 4, 2014
    My bad... mixed him up with Tony Cozier there. He was diagnosed with some vocal chords problem and hasn't been doing commentary since 2012 I guess.

33. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    Pakistani commentators need to print this statement out and put it up on their wall.

I like Warne for the most part but does grate on me when he whines about captains not being as aggressive as he'd want. Mate you can't have fielders covering every part of a cricket field or 800 slips in place !

He read the game brilliantly though - especially when a leg-spinner was on. Would talk you through everything the bowler might be thinking, and often predicted what he's gonna do perfectly. Wish he was around to see Yasir Shah.

34. Top Spinner

Feb 27, 2013
    Wasim Akram makes alot of sense when he speaks in Urdu. #PTV-Sports

35. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
    Viv Richards is an incredibly monotonous commentator.

36. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    ^ Yeah hes a really poor commie. I dont think he is totally comfortable speaking English?

37. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
    Just seems v uncomfortable. it's just not his thing.

38. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    For such a great cricketer he has very lame insights towards the game.

39. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Bill Lawry - love his enthusiasm

Nasser - GOAT

Bishop - Wonderful person

Atherton - straight

Loyd - Comedy

Rameez Raja - Adulation Champion

Chisti Mujahid - Legit

40. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    The Pakistani commentators (barring Rameez as he is a legend) must learn something I guess.