The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sportistan' started by chandtara, Jun 22, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Any boxing fans amongst us?

Some big fights due this year.

Haye V Klitschko in a few weeks, followed by Khan V Judah.
    Mayweather V Ortiz in September followed by Pacquiao V Marquez Part III

Some decent fights coming up!

2. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Big fight this weeked. Can Haye pull it off? What are your thoughts people?

3. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  4. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    It's almost here, time to let the hands do the talking! Really looking fonward to his one!

5. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Haha, Dr Steelhammer taught mr talk a lot a boxing lesson. And what an excuse by Haye "I broke my toe"

6. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Amir Khan-Floyd Mayweather Jr fight moves step closer

[​IMG]

Amir Khan has set his sights on a fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr within the next 18 months and is confident the mouth-watering match-up will go ahead.

WBA light-welterweight champion Khan has put in place a schedule that he hopes will lead him to the American.

The Briton, 24, takes on Zab Judah on 23 July and then plans to face Erik Morales, Kell Brook and Mayweather Jr.

"We believe in Amir and believe he is ready," Khan's promoter Richard Schaefer said. "These are big plans."

He added: "I've had conversations with Mayweather and his adviser Al Haymon and they are definitely open to a fight with Amir Khan, absolutely."

If Khan does get the chance to face Mayweather Jr, the fight is most likely to take place in the United States, though Schaefer did not discount the possibility of it being staged in Britain.

"Mayweather absolutely loves the British fans so I wouldn't rule out him fighting here," Schaefer stated.

"He feels the UK market is the biggest one for him outside the US. We'd have to see if we could do the Khan fight here from a timing and pay-per-view point of view, but it's a big stretch."

Mayweather Jr is scheduled to meet Victor Ortiz in September and Schaefer added that the 34-year-old is also keen to fight Manny Pacquiao.

"Floyd has indicated he would like to do the Pacquiao fight," Schaefer commented.

"He said to me he'd be open to fighting Pacquiao next if the testing issue can be sorted out.

"Amir would then fight in the autumn against Mayweather.

"I spent the last week with Mayweather and he said he wants to fight more than once per year.

"Whether he delivers on that promise, I don't know, but I really believe he does want to fight several times a year.

"He's mentioned to me the possibility of fighting in December again.

"Floyd has rediscovered his love for boxing and is ready to go. He's hungry again."

BBC Sport - Amir Khan-Floyd Mayweather Jr fight moves step closer

7. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Khan V Judah this Wekend. Really looking forward to this one. Come on Khan do us proud!
    Was watching the build up the other night. Amir looks in fantastic condition and really focused. Inshallah he can pull it off saturday night

8. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Smashed it Khan! Was way to quick for Judah...blow didn't look that low to me! Massive improvement. Things are looking good for the brother!

9. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Five boxers to get training from Amir: Woda

ISLAMABAD, July 24 (APP): President of Pakistan Boxing Federation (PBF) Woda Khan said on Sunday that a team of five boxers will go to England for training at boxer Amir Khan’s gym. Talking to Pakistan Television, he said that Amir Khan won light welterweight world title last night, because of his ability, fitness and training. Woda Khan said that Amir Khan offered the PBF to send young boxers to his gym for getting training. “We are sending five boxers to Bolton, England very soon to get quality training from a champion.”

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency )

10. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    Pacquiao v marquez is just hype.....aram has deliberately set up marquez to appear to be a threat but the truth is he's over the hill and this fight will be a one sided pasting. If credit should go to anyone its floyd mayweather dudes putting his neck on the line with a very very dangerous Ortiz and not getting enough credit.

11. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Prescott: McCloskey is One of the Final Roadblocks on the Road to Khan

Prescott: McCloskey is One of the Final Roadblocks on the Road to Khan

I really hope that Prescott wins and then Khan will have to take care of some unfinished buisness against Prescott. Not till he takes out Prescott, the haters will always be on his back regardless of what he is achieving against much better opponents.

12. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  13. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Lol pacquiao cant make an entertaining 247. Marquez is just as stale. I will just wait for the boxing to do the talking.

14. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    WTF was adamek doing in the ring with vitali? The dude was getting jabbed to death from the other side of the ring. The dude showed no head movement, no angles, flat footed, it was a walk in the friggin park.

Jesus H! Cant wait for some real boxing. Carl the cobra froche anybody???

15. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Missed the fight but the outcome I kind of predicted! Mckoulsky dealt with Prescott I see. Heard he took some real shots in that fight too. These Irish lads can take a punch!

16. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Prescott was whining about the decision and moaned that khan would be happy now lol!

17. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Haye still hasnt learnt his lesson has he lol?

18. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    Haye = shrewd business man

19. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Anyone see B-hop and Dawson on Saturday night?

20. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Khan reveals strained relationship with Pacquiao camp

[​IMG]

Amir Khan has revealed a rift has formed between his representatives and stable-mate Manny Pacquiao's team, sparking rumours the close friends could meet in the ring.

Khan and Pacquiao train out of the same Wild Card gym in Los Angeles and are both coached by revered trainer Freddie Roach. The fighters have always got along well and been supportive of each other when preparing for their respective challenges, regularly sparring together and going on arduous runs side by side.

Both men have always affirmed they would never clash in the ring but, with relationships between the opposing camps appearing to sour, clamour for a mega-fight could soon start in earnest.

Members of Pacquiao's corner have banned the Bolton-born fighter from sparring with their man and the pair no longer train at the same time. Khan, who is preparing to defend his IBF and WBA light-welterweight titles against Lamont Peterson in Washington DC on December 10, admits there is tension with Pacquiao's camp.

"It's strange," he told the Bolton News. "There's tension in the camp. My team are cool and I'm just concentrating on Peterson but his team seem to be worried.

"His camp don't want me sparring with him and now we train at different times. It's like they're keeping us apart. We still see each other when one comes and the other goes, and have a quick chat, but it's not how it used to be. It's like his people are thinking there could be a fight between us."

Khan has made his intentions to move up to 147lbs after the Peterson clash clear, with the 24-year-old already targeting a super-fight with the unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr in 2012.

Despite the Brit stating regularly that a fight with Pacquiao would not be viable, recent developments suggest an unexpected showdown could be moving closer.

Khan said: "Manny's never been on my radar. We're good friends and I'd never want to put Freddie and Alex [Ariza, his conditioner] in that position. I would prefer to fight Mayweather but so many fights happen nowadays you just never know."

Amir Khan reveals strained relationship with Manny Pacquiao camp | Boxing News | ESPN.co.uk

21. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Khan better stay away from Pacman. This wreaks of a setup by camp pacquiao. Khan aint even touched his prime yet. They may want to fight khan when he's a beatable non finished product to cement their own legacy.

22. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Vitali v Chisora very shortly.
    Chisora slapped Klitschko at the weigh in yesterday, I have a feeling this is going to be a beating and half tonight!

23. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    The fights on sky free channel 456.

24. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    I was wrong! Vitali looked his age tonight, chisora followed him around all over the ring. Vitalis experience got him over the finish line. Chisora is a real character...spitting in vlads face at the start wasn't very professional either. He may get a match with the other brother now

25. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Lol Vitali did look a little jaded...but that chisora is a clown. For once i give props to davis haye for getting the best shot of the night!
    [​IMG]

26. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    lol and he's arrested now

27. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Chisora has a few screws loose in that head of his, that brawl at the press conference was mental!

28. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Vitali was apparently standing on a chair laughing his face off....he gave the commetator two thumbs up.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  29. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    Chisora is a plonker, agree with Wajid, im glad Haye got a decent shot in on Chisora's face. Also glad he went for Chisora's trainer when he decided to come after Haye, Haye took them all on, even his own trainer Adam Booth lol

30. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Haye doesnt want to fight chisora and is looking for the klitschko bros.Sad that. Haye chisora could have done reasonably well ppv wise.

31. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Anyone watching the maidana v Alexander fight later? For those in the u.k it's on at 3 on sky sports. Should be a decent fight.

32. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Didnt catch my attention.

33. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Main event just about to start but just watched this Adrian Broner guy fight, he mirrors his style on floyd mayweather and he looks really good! Very cocky but backs it up in the ring!

34. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    sounds like Maidana got battered which is a surprise, needs to drop back down to 140 again. from what ive heard, he was awful against Alexander

35. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Yeah was very one sided, he's got that power punch, If it doesn't connect he usually gets outboxed. Alexander looked pretty decent. Went the distance the fight but there was only one winner.

If you get a chance, check out Adrian broner...this guys fight style is modelled around mayweather. He looks really good and he is an entertainer!

36. Taazi Khabrai

Taazi Khabrai Cricistan News Bot

Mar 9, 2010
    Dereck Chisora has been suspended indefinitely by the World Boxing Council for his behaviour before and after his fight with Vitali Klitschko.

British heavyweight Chisora was involved in a brawl with countryman David Haye at the news conference after his defeat by the Ukrainian in Munich.

Chisora also slapped Klitschko at the weigh-in and spat water in the face of his brother Wladimir before the bout.
    The WBC said it was "one of the worst behaviours ever by a professional".

The body demanded Chisora, 28, should seek anger management treatment before it considers whether to lift the suspension.

Jose Sulaiman, president of the WBC, said the authority would also look to impose a "serious" fine on the Zimbabwe-born fighter.

The Londoner, ranked 14th in the WBC's heavyweight division, will also be taken out of the organisation's rankings.

"The WBC is absolutely condemning behaviours that are not to be accepted in boxing under any circumstances and will act as soon as it can proceed to impose the fines and sanctions as we consider necessary," a statement read.

"Boxers are gentlemen and show to the world an example of honour and fair play when, after a tremendous battle, they go to the centre of the ring to pay respect to each other.

Chisora ban outrageous - Warren
    "Dereck Chisora is not going to tarnish the sport for those born in the humblest beds, who become sports heroes of the world to live a life of dignity and pride."

The WBC statement made no mention of Haye, who is currently unlicensed.

Chisora is due before a British Boxing Board of Control hearing on 14 March, and his manager Frank Warren told BBC Radio 5 live: "I don't understand how someone can be banned without having a hearing. I've never ever heard of anything like that. There's been no hearing.

"There were some things which he did which absolutely were wrong and he shouldn't have done, and I'm not condoning that but there were a lot of things happening behind the scenes. All this stuff needs to be taken into consideration before anyone decides what happened.

"Everybody is entitled to natural justice no matter what they've done."

Underdog Chisora earned plenty of plaudits despite his points defeat by heavy favourite Klitschko in Munich on 18 February.

But all the post-fight headlines were overshadowed by the brawl between Chisora and former WBA champion Haye, who lost to Wladimir Klitschko in July.

It's an indication of how a lot of people in boxing are feeling. It means he can't box for any title that comes under the jurisdiction of the World Boxing Council but potentially he could still fight for one of the other three world titles

Chisora accused Haye of glassing him, with Haye later admitting he was holding a bottle when he punched his fellow Briton.

Chisora threatened to shoot Haye after the clash and was detained by German police the following morning, though he was later released without charge.

Haye, who has officially retired from the sport, left the country without speaking to police, while it has been reported that it could take Munich police two weeks to question him because of red tape.
    Both fighters have since apologised for their behaviour.

The German Boxing Federation have already indicated that neither Chisora nor Haye will be welcome to fight again on German soil.

BBC boxing commentator Mike Costello believes the outcome of the BBBofC hearing will be pivotal for Chisora's future.

"They have his licence and if they decide to ban him then his only option is leaving the country to try to get a licence - but even that won't be straight forward because they will support whatever decision the BBBofC come to," Costello told BBC Radio 5 live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/17200218

37. Taazi Khabrai

Taazi Khabrai Cricistan News Bot

Mar 9, 2010
    The World Boxing Council says British boxer Dereck Chisora will receive a proper hearing despite already being given an indefinite ban and heavy fine.

Chisora was banned for his behaviour before and after his heavyweight title bout with Vitali Klitschko in Munich.

But WBC president Jose Sulaiman said: "He is a human being so we're not going to put him in the trash."
    Bernd Boente, the manager of the Klitschko brothers, said Chisora "needs help" to control his temper.

Chisora slapped Klitschko at the weigh-in, spat water at his brother Wladimir in the ring before the fight and brawled with British rival David Haye at the post-fight press conference.

Chisora's promoter Frank Warren questioned how a punishment could be issued without an official process.
    Sulamainc responded on Wednesday, saying: "He must pay for the mistake but also we have to give him another opportunity.

"We're going to have a hearing. It will take place as soon as possible," he told Sky Sports. "We're asking our representative to go ahead and do the hearing immediately."

But Boente agreed with the decision to ban Chisora.

"I think it's the right step because somewhere and somehow you have to stop people like Chisora," he told the BBC.
    "It's the right way to go. Someone has to help him."

Chisora's eventful fortnight
    17 Feb 2012 - Slaps Vitali Klitschko at the weigh in
    18 Feb - Spits at Wladimir Klitschko
    - Goes the distance with Vitali before losing on points
    - Becomes embroiled in a brawl with David Haye at the post-fight press conference
    19 Feb - Released without charge by German police
    28 Feb - Given an indefinite ban by the World Boxing Council

" He beat his former girlfriend , he slapped Vitali, he spat at Wladimir and was completely out of his mind in the locker room while bandaging," he added on BBC World Service, "so the guy I really think needs help."
    Chisora's behaviour in Munich was described by the WBC as "one of the worst-ever by a professional".

It also demanded that the 28-year-old should seek anger management treatment before it considers whether to lift its suspension.

In the statement, it said: "Dereck Chisora is not going to tarnish the sport for those born in the humblest beds, who become sports heroes of the world to live a life of dignity and pride."

David Haye's part in the brawl has also been questioned but Boente believes that the incident was just the "final straw".

"Don't forget what he did before," said Boente. "He spat into Wladimir's face and slapped Vitali which had nothing to do with the brawl at the press conference. That was all before then.

"Everybody knows exactly what happened. He did it in front of the cameras and then the British Boxing Board of Control have to make a decision. I am pretty sure he will get a fair hearing.

Despite the events Boente is refusing to rule out the possibility of a rematch with one of the Klitschko brothers, although concedes that it is unlikely to be Vitali.

"I am pretty sure Chisora will be banned for at least a year and I am not sure Vitali will still be fighting by then.
    "But a fight against Vladimir in a year or two is possible but, first of all, I think Chisora needs some help."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/17210817

38. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    The man is a moron. He is like watching the worst part of tysons career in fast foward but without any of the good stuff. Man's a joke anyone who loses via decision to tyson fury should be quite and stay and not make such an arse of himself.

39. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Did Floyd Mayweather Jr. just call Manny Pacquiao stupid?

By Vitali Shaposhnikov: "Just by speaking to Pacquiao on the phone, I mean, he's not one of the sharpest knives in the drawer," Mayweather said. (http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...uiao-not-one-sharpest-not-getting-50-50-split).

Seems like the animosity between the two champs will continue to grow exponentially, and its all Floyd’s doing. Starting with the racial slurs, Mayweather Jr. continues to pepper Pacquiao with insults every time the media makes an appearance. Whether Floyd was referring to Manny’s decision to reject his offer or in general, essentially he devalued the Filipino Congressman’s intelligence.

Some assume this to be a very smart business trick, a way to elevate and continue the excitement that the potential of their fight brings. Others simply label Mayweather Jr. as a racist who is obviously running scared.

It could be both, or may perhaps be neither, no matter who Mayweather Jr. is, there will always be people who give him the benefit of the doubt. Personally I think that while some tactics and verbal assault is good for promotion of fights, there are times when crossing the lines becomes very apparent. Floyd has reached that point, and is now starting to come off as absurd.

Manny’s intellectual rank is not only unknown to most of us, but more importantly it has nothing to do with Mayweather’s inability to get him to fight in May. Sorry Floyd, this one is a miss.

40. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    I think pacman should take the fight to floyd. If Pacquiao trashtalked a little more maybe he could coax maywetaher into a fight.
    Manny if i was you i would talk to a gentleman named chael sonnen. Lol then we'll see if mayweather wants to fight or not.