The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sportistan' started by chandtara, Jun 22, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Amir Khan was on the Jonathan Ross show this week. He basically said his last fight was fixed against him without actually coming out and using those exact words.

I didnt see the fight, is he right? Was he the clear winner?

From the clips they showed he seemed to be battering the other guy but the clips were only a total of about a minute.

2. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  3. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    Ok, Steve bunce explained it best. (im paraphrasing )In football you have violations like two footed tackles and pulling shirts. If you go in for a 2 footed lunge you're gonna get red carded. If you pull a shirt ref may just warn you for it (i hope thats the right eg). What khan did was tantamount to repeatedly pulling Petersons shirt despite being warned repeatedly. Khan kept pushing and he kept getting warned till the ref nailed him.
    That aside the way de la hoya and the khan camp treated peterson was not nice. De la hoya the gimp kept implying that khan should have won etc which is sad especially as peterson was nothing but respectful. Goldenboy also manage peterson so you'd think they would at least give the guy some positive feedback. Maybe peterson should just ask mayweather to watch his back lol that dude knows how to get under dela hoyas skin.

4. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    They just dont make boxers like they use to!

5. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Vladimir klitschko leathering this moremeck guy!

6. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    This is as one sided as it gets!

7. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    this is borderline embarrassing! You'd think mcwhatshisnmae would get a few body shots in.

8. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Is this the best the heavyweight division has on offer? No one out there to challenge these brothers

9. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    he's a cruiser isnt he? So he aint even a genuine heavy. Apparently my bro goes theres a really good british heavy coming up the ranks.

10. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    mcormick showing some movement at least now....oh he's out.

11. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    And that is that! That was way too easy!

12. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
  13. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Yep unfortunately thats the type of challenge out there at the moment

14. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    that guy on sky now, the scouser is the dude i was talking about.

15. Passionatelover

Passionatelover Youngsta Beauty

Feb 19, 2012
    ooops Moormeck was trying to headbutt him but didn't work lol
    pathetic fight on this level .........but thumbs up to Klitchko!!!!!!!!!

16. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    I'm hearing rumours that Vitali v Haye might just go ahead? I hope Hayes pinky toe doesn't get the better of him tis time if it does happen!

17. Passionatelover

Passionatelover Youngsta Beauty

Feb 19, 2012
    It might happens....last chance for Haye and probably it would be a Good by with a knocked down ;-) I have personally nothing against haye though

18. Victorious Pakistan

Victorious Pakistan Smooth Operator

Feb 29, 2012
    They guy your talking about i think is David Price, Tall and very good boxer. Wtched him in 2fights he is Technically good and very strong. Bright future for him.

The heavyweight devision is gone to a point of a joke now. There is no one who can take on the Klitschkos and it is boring now. Hopefully that David Price can come through though, he seems the best there is to offer at the moment.

19. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Lol did u watch david prices interview after the last klits fight. To paraphrase a little price said "Aint no way im stepping into the ring with the klits for at least two years. them boys are just too damn goo.d" I found his response a little dissapointing.

20. Victorious Pakistan

Feb 29, 2012
    LOL then we have no hope in the heavyweight division. xD Dissapointed now :(

21. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Guys just check out Adrian broner, he's pure entertainment and he models his stance on mayweather!

22. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Broner looks like he could be a hand full. But whether he is mayweather good is yet to be seen. Maywetaher won his first title at 21 so broner has his work cut out.

23. Victorious Pakistan

Feb 29, 2012
    Have seen him before and yes he is simular to Mayweather in approach and tactics. But as wajid said he has a long way to go. I don't think he will ever be as affective but lets see.

24. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Kell Brook V Matthew Hatton tonight in the battle of the roses. I'm from Lancashire but I can't see Hatton beating Brook.

25. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Adnan Amar on the same card, watch out for him

26. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Lennox Lewis Says Heavyweight Division Is “Dead” - Says He’d Come Back For 100 Million!

[​IMG]By James Slater - Retired great (retired most likely for good but maybe not!) Lennox Lewis has basically said he’s had it with the current heavyweight division. Claiming the division is “dead” and that the fights of the all-conquering Klitschko brothers are “boring,” the 46-year-old said today’s heavyweight title fights make up a “circus.”

Speaking with German paper Stern, the man who ruled (off and on) from 1992 to 2003 says that both the Klitschkos and their challengers are in the sport just for the money.

“Right now, the heavyweight division is dead,” Lewis stated. “The Klitschko brothers and their opponents are just filling their bags [with money]. Their opponents will not improve, they wouldn’t have even made sparring partners for me..”

Lewis may have a point if he is referring to guys like recent Wladimir challenger Jean Marc Mormeck. But to be fair, the Klitschkos have ducked no-one and it’s not their fault if there is no-one out there capable of testing them. Also, guys like Dereck Chisora, Eddie Chmabers and David Haye would all certainly have been good enough to have at least sparred with Lennox! But Lewis went on, describing why a typical Klitschko fight is boring in his opinion.

“At some point, the referee steps in and stops the fight,” he said. “They are boring. If you are looking to decide the best boxer in the world it must be decided by an epic fight. Not this circus.”

But again, who can give either Wladimir or Vitali an “epic fight?” The last man that gave either brother a great, truly memorable action fight was Lennox himself, when he went to war with “Dr. Iron Fist” in his final bout before retiring. Hang on, is Lennox attempting to set up an “epic” ring return?

“For 100 million, I’d come back,” Lewis said, not specifying if that figure related to dollars, pounds sterling or deutschmarks. “For that I would take my pyjamas off and go to the gym.”

And we’d all tune in if the all-time great (some, such as fellow legend George foreman say Lennox is THE best heavyweight of all-time) fought again. Lewis has said many times that he is too smart to come back; that he has done all he needs to do in the squared circle. Has the 46-year-old had a change of heart and is he willing to come back to add some much needed drama to today’s heavyweight picture?

There would be positive and negative reactions from the purists if Lewis did come back (mostly the latter), and “circus,” that word Lennox used to describe today’s heavyweight division, would likely be put in a number of articles written about his own ring return.

Don’t do it, Lennox. The division may lack drama, but the titles are in good hands.

27. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Lol lewis was begged for a rematch by klitschko after that fluky cut lol and now he suddenly decides he wants in for a ridiculous amount?

28. Victorious Pakistan

Feb 29, 2012
    Lewis was very lucky that day.

Anyway, looking forward to another weekend. Erik Morales to fight vs Danny Garcia. Looking forward to this. Wonderfull fighter is Morales. Enjoy watching his style.
    Anyone else going to watch this one?

29. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Kell Brook would 'destroy' Amir Khan, says Eddie Hearn

Kell Brook would "destroy" Amir Khan according to promoter Eddie Hearn, while opponent Matthew Hatton rated the Sheffield fighter as "better than Saul Alvarez", the Mexican Wunderkind, after the 12 round 'War of The Roses' battle on Saturday night.

[​IMG]
    Dominant: Kell Brook (right) lays into opponent Matthew Hatton Photo: PA

[​IMG]
    By Gareth A Davies, Boxing Correspondent
    1:43PM GMT 19 Mar 2012

[​IMG]33 Comments

Rising welterweight star Brook could be matched against Khan in a pay-per-view fight backed by Sky which would sell 40,000 stadium seats, believes Matchroom promoter Hearn, one of very few viable pay-per-view contests which the broadcaster would currently consider.
    The underlying question is whether Khan, about to move up to welterweight after his re-match with Lamont Peterson in Las Vegas on May 19, would take it.
    Brook, who is still a work in progress, proved his world title credentials with a classy, high-profile win against British welterweight rival Hatton by a huge margin on the cards. He dominated from first to last, to earn the WBA and IBF Inter-Continental 147lb titles.
    Hatton, having just completed his 50th professional fight, his nose broken and his face and forehead furrowed with lumps, gave his impression from the firing line.
    "He’s the best fighter I’ve faced, really. I’d include [Saul] Alvarez in that. Kell broke my nose in the first round and I thought things wouldn’t get much worse than that, but they did to be honest. I think there’s a bright future, definitely a future world champion, and I wish him all the best."

it was a serious plaudit, given the way Alvarez is viewed in the USA.
    Brook, 25, was under pressure to impress topping the bill in front of 10,000 fans at the Motorpoint Arena in his home city.
    Carrying a 26-0 (18KOs) record into the fight, Brook was a heavy favourite with bookmakers who perhaps overlooked Hatton's experience and recent form.
    The 30 year-old, despite a relatively modest 42-5-2 (16KOs) record, has hit his peak in recent years and showed he can mix it with the best when he survived 12 rounds against WBC light-middleweight champion Saul Alvarez last year.
    Amid a raucous and at times violent atmosphere, Brook established himself early with the cleaner shots, his superior handspeed self-evident as he broke Hatton's nose in the opening round.
    Hatton did land sporadic solid shots, but was largely frustrated as Brook's superior speed and timing continued to give him the advantage.
    Hatton was down in the ninth and though referee Marcus McDonnell scored a knockdown, it seemed the Mancunian had slipped as Brook threw a left hook.
    Hatton landed a beautiful left hook early in the 10th, jumping into it and hammering home to Brook's jaw, but the Yorkshireman was able to take his opponent’s heaviest shots.
    There is still more development needed by Brook, shown when he was going for the finish late in the fight, yet the points win was lopsided with scores of 118-109, 119-108 and 119-107.
    Hearn said: "Brook versus Khan is one of the few fights that would bring back pay per view on Sky in Britain. Will Amir Khan take it? I don’t imagine he will.
    "You are going to see the change in British boxing. Broadcasters are going to demand proper fights. They are not going to allow the general dross that has been put on tv for the last few years.
    "So broadcasters will put pressure on people like Amir Khan to put on fights that make sense. And let me tell you one thing. Kell Brook would destroy Amir Khan.
    "We could sell out a Kell Brook against Amir Khan in a 40,000 seater stadium tomorrow. If Khan wants the fight, great. We have the product, the support of the fans, and the backing of Sky Sports. If he fought Amir Khan, they would both get millions of pounds.
    "If Khan doesn’t want the fight, we’ll move on and fight someone else. But we can come back here again, and sell out 10,000 again."
    Hearn insisted Brook had been a rough diamond waiting for promotional polish.
    "We signed Kell Brook eight months ago. They said he couldn’t sell a ticket. He hadn’t boxed in Sheffield since he was 18. So we went back to basics. Let’s build the kid in his home town. Hillsborough Leisure Centre, 1,300 people, sold out with a month to go. Ponds Forge, 2,000 people, sold out with two weeks to go. Sheffield Arena, let’s have a punt - 10,000 people. You tell me another fighter in Britain who is selling ten thousand tickets. It’s not happening. This kid is capturing the imagination of the public, and we’re looking forward this year to big fights."
    Brook, his face marked on one side after the contest, said: "Of course I want Khan. He said he would fight Matthew Hatton because he is the best fighter in Britain at welterweight. Well now Khan knows who is."
    So, if not Khan, who will Brook face next? "It has got to be a big name," said Hearn. "The British boxing public aren't stupid. I was nervous. Maybe Paulie Malignaggi, Marcos Maidana - that would be a beautiful fight for Kell, and he’d stop him in the middle rounds.
    "Or Shane Mosley, Devon Alexander. Proper fights. I was nervous before this fight, because Hatton is very experienced, very tough. But Kell’s still in first gear. For the first six rounds it was one of the most clinical boxing performances I’ve seen. Massive respect to Hatton, he is a very tough man, but every fight for us has been a step forward."
    Flying colours, indeed, on Saturday night.
    Brook certainly has the armoury, the belief, the footwork and the speed. How he is matched from here will be intriguing. The potential is clearly there, but how he graduates in the tests ahead will be the making or breaking of a potential British great. Those other ‘gears’ need to be seen, in probing contests.

30. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Hearns and co dont half talk rubbish. Kel brooks is a good fighter but he doesnt have any power although he is a very slick operator. Destroy khan he wont, but it would be a very competitive and interesting fight.

31. Geordie Ahmed

Geordie Ahmed Emerging Player

Mar 17, 2012
    Would this be the same Hearn that promoted Fraudley Harrison against David Haye, how laughable that he talks about dross yet his fighter served up probably the worst boxing performance of all time

32. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    The very same:) Re fraudley v Haye, i dont know about you but i kinda fell for the hype.

33. Geordie Ahmed

Geordie Ahmed Emerging Player

Mar 17, 2012
    I watched it BUT I knew Fraudley was going to get hammered and it was worth watching for that

34. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    stopped hating harrison a while back...now the dues a bit of a tragic figure. I always thought he had a punchers chanc if nothing else.

35. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    .......and that is why mayweather is p4p king.
    Fight Pacman and stop making excuses.

36. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Latest is that Haye V Chisora has been set up for July. That one should be fun!
    I missed the Mayweather V Cotto fight as I was on my way back from Pakistan. Did anyone watch it? Heard it was a pretty decent fight?

37. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Floyds reflexes are as sharp as ever......cotto got a little more credit than he deserves. Fmj is still pretty much at the top of his game.. Too bad pacquiao has no brains....if i was in pacmans shoes id be ringside ready to call him out and humiliate him into a fight.

38. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Forget money v pac. This is the fight i want to see. HE GLASSED ME BRO!

39. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    Cotto is a quality fighter and did really well but FM is just on another level really, when the going got tough and the money rounds began towards the end of the fight he upped his game and took over. the way he figures out a boxer is amazing, the left uppercut he started working on Cotto especially. he probably could have dropped Cotto in the 12th but he knew he had won and just kept his distance as the fight finished

watch out for Alvarez too, he beat up Mosley, Alvarez would paste Khan imo too.

40. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Out of curiosity i wonder where that fight will be held? Chisora is a no no in uk and i cand imagine the NSAC being too receptive to an chisora application assuming he gets into the Usa considering his convictions.