The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sportistan' started by chandtara, Jun 22, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    I think we should be fair. He didn't lose to Bradley and he still is up several fights on Marquez. Tbh Marquez was working like a dog while pacquiao was playing with his kids.

2. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    I thought Manny was ahead before the knockout but thats boxing for you, all it takes is a split second and a lapse in concentration. All this involvement in politics isnt helping Manny in any way. He says he wants another fight with JMM, lets see what happens

3. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    He was definatly ahead. Was it me or did pacquiao look noticibly slower? I think marquez trained harder and smarter....manny on the other hand was telling roach what to do, which begs the question why is roach even there if manny is dictating the agenda?

4. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    martinez or Alvarez v money that i wanna see, i think the ginger assassin will give him a run.

5. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
  6. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    It was a good fight and there will definitely be another rematch between the 2. Manny was dominating the fight early on and was caught with a counter punch. If he had avoided that punch, he would have put JMM away early in the 7th. Also, JMM seemed to be a bit more muscular and cut for this bout.

7. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Khan vs Molina is also coming up in a few days. A make or break fight for Khan here going up against a relatively new boxer who will be looking for a major upset. A slight mishap here and Khan will never get his career back on track.

8. Waq

Waq Emerging Player

May 9, 2010
    It seems a good few years now when Pacquio was regularly KO'ing of stopping people. He seems to have lost that explosiveness.

What is all this circulating about Marquez taking PEOs? Anything concrete or substantial?

Mayweather will surely want a piece of this action and comfortably beat Marquez a few years ago IMO. Pacquio may not be so keen but there is money for some good battles.

Interesting if Amir Khan wins his next fight and goes up to welterweight. Khan is not a great boxer but very bang bang exciting and may fancy his chances as these boxers age.

9. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    I don't think Manny is as committed to boxing as he was in the years past. He's spending a lot of time in politics and he's renwed his faith in religion so he's spending more time around Church.

There has been a lot of speculation about Marques and potential PED usage because he showed up more muscular and cut for this fight. His new strength and conditioning coach, Angel Hernandez, was busted a few years ago for providing PEDs and HGH to a lot of athletes, mostly Olympic, that he trained. He was connected with the BALCO scandal.

Le's see how much Khan has improved his defensive skills. If he's still going to be overly aggressive then he has no shot against the great boxers, regardless of their age. Right not he needs to win this fight convincingly because he's going up against a relatively unknown boxer. If he take a misstep here, it could all be over.

10. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Sour grapes mate. TBH watch 24/7 and you can see the difference in work ethic. After the PED cloud surrounding pacman its quite sad that they'd throw that at marquez . I dont want to see manny fight PBF anymore if anything i'd rather see a certain mexican ginger that punches like a ton of bricks fight money.
    On the contrary, i think khan is a great boxer but cant scrap for shit. He should box and use that range and speed. I think he will break molina down and tko him by R8 or 9.

11. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Ive got khan via TKO in the 8th! Hopefully the muppet will use his brain before getting in the line of fire. That said Angel Garcia for some reason will be watching the hand wraps on khan back stage......just to wind him up i presume but hopefully Hunter will have told him to STFU and follow Wards lead by doing his talking in the ring.

12. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    I think the PED speculation is understandable given the fact that his strength and conditioning trainer has a history of being involved with PEDs.

Speaking of the Alvarez, I don't think he's ready for PBF. He's got a couple of impressive wins under his belt but he's got a long ladder to climb still.

Khan better step into the ring with his brain fully functioning or else this could be Prescott all over again. Leave the cockiness at the door and come prepared for a fight. An he needs to get Garcia Sr out of his head. Garcia is a certified douchebag and I hope Khan wins this one comprehensively and gets a rematch with Danny. Khan was dominating that fight early on and would have won if he had just kept up with the game plan.

13. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Lets be honest here, a) Just because of his conditioning coache's previous history doesnt mean that JMM was on anything especially knowing his history and the fact that the spotlight will be on them big time.
    b) Pacquiao made a big furore over steroid testing against PBF even taking floyd to court over baseless speculation that he was on PED's. For the pac camp to speculate the same on JMM wreaks of double standards.
    c) While pacman was helping jinxy prepare for high office, going to birthday parties, pushing his camp back 2 weeks and opting for light jogs......jmm was in the gym pushing serious weight. It was inevitable.

As for khan he either puts his brain in gear and folows hunters plan or he gets use to boxing on the same cards as other washed up loudmouths such as chunky degale. Now there is no plan B this fight is pretty much a relegation battle for khan, International or domestic......time to ante up khan.

14. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Mayweather V Alvarez in September?
    If it happens, this will be MEGA!

15. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Arguably a little early in Alvarez's career but if he loses to the greatest boxer of his generation it will be no big loss. Tough tough fight for mayweather as Alvarez is no mental midget lime victor Ortiz.

16. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Kal yafai on prizefighter now

17. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Mayweather: Negotiations for Devon Alexander fight are almost completed

By Jeff Sorby: Unbeaten Floyd Mayweather Jr. is claiming that he’s on the verge of fighting a unification bout against IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander (24-1, 13 KO’s) on May 4th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Mayweather said on his twitter tonight: “The negotiations for my fight are almost done. The front runner is IBF Champion Devon Alexander. It’d be a unification bout at welterweight.”

How the fight could be a unification bout is the big question given that Alexander is under contract for a title defense against Kell Brook. If Alexander takes the fight with Mayweather, he’ll get stripped of his IBF title by the International Boxing Federation for failing to fight his mandatory challenger Brook.

Mayweather is either playing a game here or he doesn’t quite understand that Alexander is under contract for his fight against Brook.

To be sure, Alexander would likely be more than happy to give up his IBF title if it means he can get a fight with Mayweather because the money is SO much better than what he’ll get for defending his title against the dangerous Brook. There’s no guarantee that Alexander can win that fight, and that would be his only title before. But with facing Mayweather, Alexander would likely get at least $5 million for that fight, if not more depending on how well it does on pay per view.

Alexander isn’t the ideal opponent for Mayweather if his idea was to try and get as many boxing fans interested in purchasing his fight as possible. Alexander doesn’t have much of a fan base to speak of and he doesn’t have a crowd pleasing style of fighting. He’s kind of the opposite of a crowd pleaser, so Mayweather will likely be the only draw in this fight.

Many boxing fans and writers were assuming that Mayweather would be fighting WBC interim welterweight champion Robert Guerrero because he’s a Mexican American and Mayweather has selected May 4th, the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo to fight on. Alexander is an American of African descent and it doesn’t make sense to fight him on the Mexican holiday. If the fight happens, you’ve got to wonder if Mayweather suddenly got cold feet at the thought of fighting Guerrero. Maybe it’s Guerrero’s tendency to rough up his opponents or maybe it’s his high work rate that caused Mayweather to change his mind.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2013/...r-devon-alexander-fight-are-almost-completed/

18. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Looks like Brooks may be getting a fat 'please step aside' check coming in the post. Though i would have prefered him fighting Alvarez.

19. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Adrian 'The problem' Broner will be back on our screens tonight. This guy is guaranteed to provide us some entertainment!

20. Geordie Ahmed

Geordie Ahmed Emerging Player

Mar 17, 2012
    Is the fight on Sky? He will comfortably beat Rees

21. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Yep, its on Sky. Can also see him winning this won comfortably. Love watching him fight, he is pure entertainment! Not only can he talk the talk but he walks it too!

22. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    For those who have not seen him -

23. Geordie Ahmed

Geordie Ahmed Emerging Player

Mar 17, 2012
    A comfortable win it was for Broner

24. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Yep as easy a win as most predicted. Rees was way too small for Broner. Did well to get up from the uppercut but did not have the power to trouble him. Broner needs to go for the big names now

25. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Broner wins but it doesnt really move him up the food chain. He needs to step it up and not pad his record out.

26. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Mayweather faces Guerrero on 5/4; Floyd signs with Showtime/CBS

Showtime/CBS to televise his pay per view fights. HBO attempted to keep Mayweather by making “an aggressive offer” according to Dan Rafael, but it wasn’t enough. The six-fight deal is for 30 months, which means Mayweather is going to have to be a little more active than he’s been lately.

Fighting once a year isn’t going to get the job done if Mayweather is to get all six fights done in just 30 months.

Mayweather’s adviser Leonard Ellerbe told ESPN “HBO, they made a great offer, but Showtime PPV/CBS was substantially greater in every facet. So bottom line, HBO was outgunned. They came to a gun fight with a knife.”

HBO’s statement on losing Mayweather as quoted from Rafael “We made an aggressive offer and responsible pay per view offer. Now we move on.”

HBO still has Manny Pacquiao and rising star Adrien Broner, so they’re not going to be hurting too much by the loss of Mayweather. However, losing Mayweather is a BIG deal, and you have to wonder who’s going to take the blame for this.

Mayweather is the biggest PPV star in the sport and it’s going to be a tremendous blow to HBO for them to lose him. The only consolation is that Mayweather might not have too much time left in his career as a top fighter.

Showtime/CBS is taking a big risk in signing Mayweather for six fights because he could start losing to the top fighters soon.

He barely beat Miguel Cotto last year in May, and he’s not fought since then. If Showtime has a release clause in their contract then they can possibly void the contract if Mayweather starts getting beaten left and right, but I can’t see them doing that unless Mayweather’s PPV numbers drop off dramatically along with the losses.

In other news, Mayweather will be fighting Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero on May 4th as part of the first fight of the six-fight contract. The fight with Guerrero will be announced shortly. Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, the WBC junior middleweight champion, is expected to be on the undercard facing WBA champion Austin Trout in a unification bout.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2013/mayweather-faces-guerrero-on-54-floyd-signs-with-showtimecbs/

27. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Exciting news, this guy just doesnt fight enough lately!

28. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Looks like pacman has called it a day.

29. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Alvarez in action tonight!

30. Renaissance

Renaissance Formerly Goliath

Apr 29, 2012
    Watching sum selby guy fight

31. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    If you can then watch the Alvarez fight later. This guy is special and a rising superstar. Trout should give him his best fight up until now. It's on Boxnation

32. Renaissance

Apr 29, 2012
    I have boxnation... What time is it. Im not into the ins and outs of boxing i.e i dont know much other than the main fighters. Btw sky sports one this muslim sounding guy is playing next

33. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    It's in america so it's going to be a late one. I reckon around 4ish. Well worth staying up for.

34. Renaissance

Apr 29, 2012
    Not for me :p I have got an exam on monday so tomorrow will be all work... can't stay up lol

35. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Tyson Fury is a moron. Good to see him land on his arse in the second even though he won against a cruiserweight.

36. Renaissance

Apr 29, 2012
    Audley Harrison got merked

37. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Lol that was like watching a one sided fight back in high school! Wilder is a beast!

38. Renaissance

Apr 29, 2012
    Loved his little fe fi fo fum thing lool

39. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    David price is right though. Wilder telegraphs his shots big time. The klitschkos would rape him. Tyson fury would be a great next fight for him though.

40. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    The last time I watched him he was just as devastating. 28 fights, 28 wins all by knockout! Is he the guy the heavyweight division has been crying out for?