The IPL Auction Snub (No Pakistan players selected)

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jan 20, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    So what do you think?

Is it true that no IPL franchise was interested in signing a single member of the T20 World Cup winning team or were they warned off by Modi and the BCCI?

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I think it's quite obvious that the franchise owners were warned off from buying any Pakistani players. In the first IPL Pakistani players went for bargain basement prices, and IPL franchise would've been happy to have a punt on a Pakistani player for that sort of price. I don't know if this is one of Modi's games or a result of pressure from India's Sports ministry but either way it's pretty childish stuff.

Personally I think the whole situation reflects badly on Modi and the BCCI, if they had inside knowledge about a block on Pakistani players then they should have withdrawn their names.

3. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Pakistani players were going out of their way to be part of IPL. I honestly do hope they least feel insulted by this snub. We have some of the finest players in the short version of the game.

No way there weren't good enough for IPL. It seems to me that teams did in fact have shown interest in the players but for then most likely told not to go ahead with their bids.

I hope this inspires our players do extemely well in the matches Pakistan is involved in.

4. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Perhaps it's wrong for me to feel like this but I'm really glad they got snubbed, at least now they might understand that neither Modi nor the BCCI is theirs or Paksitan cricket's friend.

5. mmkextreme_1

mmkextreme_1 Talented

Jan 20, 2010
    I am glad from the inside that Pakistani players are left out of the mickey mouse of a joke tournament..now for one they will get there head strait and for two will head into the T20 WC fresh like we did for the last tournament..I really hope our players realize that there is no use of kissing BCCI as*..and just give them the could shoulder and move on..damn have some self respect!

6. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    I honestly do not care for IPL however I feel if given the chance the players have every right to earn their bread and butter. ICL offered that chance and I always took the players side. PCB was in the wrong.

It should now make more sense. We had no problems with India back then. We had no problems with ICL who originally came out with the plan for T20's only for BCCI to come out with IPL.

It was our board which back stabbed our players and made such a big deal to the point that most people think our players back stabbed their country while the reality is that PCB did everything BCCI asked to crush ICL purely from a business point of view.

and this is what they get in return. Players need to understand the situation and simply not put their names forward anymore...now it is more about self respect that IPL/BCCI has shown its true colors. have some self respect!

7. FAQ

FAQ Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    Its evident that someone is not too happy about the success of Pakistan in this format

8. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    Yaar Merc, it was all political. Why would you pay an injury-prone Bond 700 K and not even bid for Afridi (perhaps the most precious commodity in t20 cricket right now)? When we have the likes of Shilpa Shetty dishing out "cricketing" reasons for these non-selections, you know where this league is headed sooner rather than later (yes, down the drain).

9. nazimcricket

nazimcricket Youngsta Beauty

Jan 19, 2010
    I don't care one bit for the IPL and I wish that the Pakistanis didn't care either, but the lure of easy cash will ensure that the players will go running everytime Modi pretends to hold the door ajar for them.

10. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Part of me is glad that Pakistani players were snubbed. They deserved it. Waise between its a political gimmick. India can't seperate politics from sports so this is what we should understand. Plus they are known for their sneeky peeky attacks so nothing is new.

11. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Its a fitting response on the face of all bollywood loving Pakistanis, we should get it through our skin that Indians hate us and are unanimous in their hate for Pakistan we on the other hand want to start confidence building measures and what not. If these players had any ounce of self respect and national pride they would not have put their name forward to start with. On one hand Indian army chief is threatening to attack Pakistan and here these cricketers want to go and play cricket in mikey mouse tournament. I am glad no Pakistani was selected.

12. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    "Pakistani players' exlusion an 'ego boost' for us" - Modi

Lalit Modi has defended the non-selection of Pakistani players by calling the move an 'ego boost'. None of the players from the world champion Pakistan were given a contract by IPL. "One must understand our stance", said Modi to a swarm of journalists. "Why does a Pakistani get to hit the winning runs of an Indian tournament and be the highest wicket taker as well?".

Sohail Tanvir, the Pakistan allrounder, won the purple cap in the inaugural IPL and hit the winning run off the last ball of the final to give Rajasthan Royals the title. Another Pakistani Kamran Akmal was also a part of the victorious Rajasthan Royals as the wicketkeeper-batsman.

"They're the world champions. They have the best strikers, the best pacemen and the best spinners in this format.", continued Modi. "Thats not good for us. How will Indians win the orange, purple and pink caps then? Eliminating Pakistani players from IPL was our only hope. Their win/loss ratio in T20 internationals is so good its ridiculous. They're the world champions. And now we should allow them to own us in our own domestic tournament? I dont think so."

Modi felt not only Pakistanis were battering Indian cricketers, they were also becoming bigger crowd attractions even in India. "The way the Indian crowd cheered for Shoaib Akhtar during his long run-up of a spectacular spell in the first IPL, I've never ever seen Indian crowd cheer for any Indian bowler. Even though we've had some great expess bowlers like Zaheer, Pathan, Agarkar, Nehra and others. Ok I admit they're mediocre trundlers, but how can we let them feel inferior by allowing the real cricket talent that is Pakistan players to play with them and take the spotlight?"

But Modi's claim of inferiority complex didn't just stop with cricket; "We have applied tons of fairing creams, myself included, which is the most profitable product in India. But Pakistanis have been consistently better looking than us. In addition, they make fun of our sizes."

Shilpa Shetty, the owner of Rajasthan Royals and an underachieving Bollywood actress, echoed the inferior IPL commissioner. "Why should we bid for Afridi who did not even have to go through plastic surgeries like me to look that good. And what do I get for the money I spent? I still get laughed at in reality shows by average looking white women." Shilpa Shetty was pwned in a trashy British reality show nobody watches, by an equally trashy white woman. "Besides we have a good spinner in Irfan Pathan and hopefully he will spin the ball this time".

Shetty and Modi have further agreed to sing songs in the middle of the field, with a hundred backup dancers, after every 5 overs of the matches. The songs will feature lyrics describing the match situation of the last 5 overs, clearly naming the heroes and the villains in a given scenario. Famous Bollywood lyricists will work with expert cricket commentators such as Sir Arun Lal to come up with the lyrics on the spot.

13. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
    This should only pump up the players to do well for their country. Maybe the IPL teams feel security provision will be an issue. If this was the case, they should have raised these concerns before the Pak players registered themselves for the bidding process.

The whole thing has left a bad taste in the mouth.

14. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    You're right zee, this reminds me of the years when India wouldn't play Pakistan because losing to Pakistan wasn't acceptable. This situation sort of mirrors that in the sense that having Pakistani players topping the wickets or runs whilst Indian players aren't even in the running will impact badly on the Indian psyche.

That's a great parody Wasim but sadly it's closer to the truth than most will guess.

15. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Wasim had me going for a minute as I didn't realize he was making fun of them. Good post. Anyway I think the least the players can do for us win the T20 world cup all over again. That would really put IPL in its place.

16. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    feather the only problem with us winning the tournament this time is that we have the best T20 team in the world and the favourites tag never sits well with us.

17. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    20 overs is too short for such psychological effects.

18. Qazaa

Qazaa Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    I think if the likes of Eion Morgan can be bought for 20/20 aciton then the likes of Afridi and Gul were gold.

Pretty pathetic friom the Indian goverment.

19. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Yeah but we can choke any time anywhere and in any position.

20. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    I dont think you understood me. You choke when the pressure gets to you. 20 overs is too short for the pressure to build up, imho. We go all guns blazing anyway. Look at our unbelievable record in T20Is !!

Thanks to galli cricket, we're the best at short-spanned brilliance !:D

21. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I've always said Pakistan is a great one day team, they always shine for at least one day of a test match :D