The Mohammad Irfan Blog (All blog entries in one place)

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Mohammad Irfan Blog Introduction

by Abdul Habib
    4th February 2009

Mohammad Irfan is a 6'10 fast bowler from Multan who lacked someone to make a sifarish (influential backing) for him. Despite being very talented and uniquely gifted due to his height, Irfan was unable to get a placement with any first class cricket teams because of his lack of connections.

That's where I stepped in to arrange a meeting for Irfan with Pakistan's assistant coach Aqib Javed (at the NCA) and the rest as they say is history!!

This blog isn't for the purpose of hyping Mohammad Irfan up as the next Joel Garner or as an international superstar. This blog is to chart his progress, his successes and his disappointments in his journey towards a place in Pakistan's domestic scene.

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
  3. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Photos of Mohammad Irfan at the NCA (courtesy Saboor Ahmad)

by Abdul Habib
    17th March 2009

Saboor Ahmad is the NCA's fitness trainer and an all round good bloke. He helps Pakistan cricketers with their gym work and is currently trying his best to build up Irfan's strength and stamina up.

Saboor has very kindly sent us some pictures of Irfan at the NCA. There's also a few other famousf aces in there too!

A huge thanks to Saboor and he said he hopes everyone likes the photos. Click the link below to see the photos...

Photos of Mohammad Irfan at the Lahore NCA

4. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan Blog: Opening the bowling with Shoaib Akhtar

by Abdul Habib
    12th February 2010

[​IMG]

Mohammad Irfan achieved his dream in late 2009 when he signed with Khan Research Laboratories. This was thanks to months of hard work from Azhar Ali, Aqib Javed, KRL coach Rashid Iqbal and NCA trainer Saboor Ahmad.

A couple of days ago the rain robbed Irfan of a chance to open the bowling with Shoaib Akhtar but today was a different story. KRL were up against the Lahore Eagles and Akhtar was the captain. He lost the toss and KRL were put in to bat on a good batting track, Mo Idrees (104) and Bazid Khan (59) combined to put up a total of 263.

The Eagles began their chase against an opening combination of the world's tallest bowler and the one-time world's fastest bowler. Akhtar had a hamstring niggle so wasn't able to generate his usual pace but still managed to get through all 10 of his overs. Akhtar is really committed to proving his fitness for the T20 World Cup and so played despite the hamstring niggle.

Despite the Eagles boasting Mo Irshad in their bowling line-up, the fastest bowler on display today was Mohammad Irfan. Team mates estimated that Irfan was bowling in the high 80mph range. Irfan took 1/20 in 8 overs at an economy of just 2.5 runs per over.

Akhtar told Irfan that he was on the right track and that if he kept on improving like this then he would takes stacks of wickets in places like Australia, South Africa and England.

Despite his great bowling Irfan wasn't needed to complete his quota of 10 overs because of some great restrictive bowling by KRL's Saeed Anwar Jr who took 1/24 in 10 overs. It was a great first game for KRL and hopefully they can keep the momentum going for the rest of the tournament too.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  5. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan Blog: An Azhar Ali century takes KRL to their second win

by Abdul Habib
    14th February 2010

[​IMG]

KRL captain Shoaib Akhtar lost the toos to Sui Southern captain (and keeper) Ahmed Zeeshan. It had been raining heavily for the last few days and there was a threat of the rain spoiling today's game as well so Sui Southern put KRL in to bat first. Sui were hoping their pace attack could use the conditions to their benefit and skittle KRL out for a below par score.

However KRL (and Pakistan A) opener Azhar Ali had other ideas and stuck to the wicket weathering the early onslught to keep his team in the game. Azhar told cricistan.com that "The pitch was sluggish and slow, it was a pitch where a batsman would have to be patient and run lots of singles because it was difficult to get the ball away to the boundary." At the fall of the second wicket Azhar was joined by Bazid Khan (94) and together they put on a partnership of 138 runs which lifted the KRL total to 291 runs.

291 runs would be difficult without any complications but with the weather worsening, the total had to be recalculated under the Duckworth-Lewis system. Sui Southern needed 233 runs in 42 overs and ended up falling 68 runs short.

Mohammad Irfan bowled really well taking 2/38 in 9 overs. He was ably assisted by the spinners Nauman Ali and Saeed Anwar Jr who took a combined 2/67 in their 20 overs strangling the fight out of Sui Southern's chase.

Shoaib Akhtar pulled up injured two balls into his 4th over, he had pulled his calf and was unable to bowl any more overs in the game. Still his team won the match and KRL are off to a great start winning the first two games they've played.

6. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan Blog: KRL remain undefeated but NBP go through to the semi-finals on run rate

by Abdul Habib
    18th February 2010

Irfan was a little depressed when I called him, the first thing he told me was that KRL were out of the competition and that they wouldn't be playing in the semi-finals.

So I asked if they'd lost the game, Irfan replied that they'd beaten the more fancied HBL by 19 runs. Irfan took 1/35 opening the bowling with Rahat Ali as Shoaib Akhtar was unavailable to play once again. I asked Irfan why Shoaib hadn't played the last two games despite saying he would and Irfan said that Akhtar had said he wanted to rest his leg so he could play the semi final and the final.

Irfan said he had some good news for me, he's heard that he's been selected for Multan in the upcoming regional T20 tournament. He's excited to play for his region and is hoping to continue progress he's been making in the 4 day and 1 day versions of the game.

7. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan Blog: The Lahore match is a Quarter Final

by Abdul Habib
    1st March 2010

[​IMG]

On the 28th of February 2010, Mohammad Irfan fulfilled a life long dream. After years and years of trying, he was finally picked to represent the Multan region. Irfan said "When I heard that I'd been picked by the Multan region I wasn't sure if it was true, it's not the first time I've been on a list for Multan. I heard the same thing last year, that I would be playing T20 for Multan but it never happened. However when I arrived at Karachi and joined the team, it all became very real and I'm loving the experience so far"

The first game was a bit nerve racking for Irfan because it was being broadcast live on TV. He said he was excited about being on TV because he was hoping it would bring him to the notice of the selectors and the fans. But he also added that the TV cameras bring a lot of pressure with them because many cricketers think this is my chance, I have to do it all today.

Irfan said that he was really disappointed about being hit for two boundaries in his 3rd over against Peshawar after a good start in his first two overs. But Multan won the game and that's all that matters to Irfan. He wants to see Multan in the semi-finals and the final.

Irfan was determined to do better against Quetta and he did a lot better. He took 3 wickets and had this to say; "I've taken 3/14 in 4 overs against Quetta, I had to up my game today and I did. Now I'm hoping to carry this form into the match against the Lahore Lions. We don't see that match as another group game, for us it's a knockout match. For both us and the Lions it will be a quarter final match and I hope the Lions are prepared for a fight because we want to go through just as much as they do."

When asked if he was worried about the big names in Lahore's batting line-up and whether he really thought Multan stood a chance of going through. Irfan stated "My team, the Tigers, are a very strong unit. We have good batsmen and good bowlers too. We may not have many big names but we all have big hearts. We're not backing down, we're going into this match to win it. As for big name players, the bigger the player the more I want to add his name to my wicket tally."

He added "When the day of the game comes there's no big names or small names. There's just me with the ball in my hand and him with the bat in his hands, whoever keeps his head will triumph."

8. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan Blog: I'm predicting a Wolves v Stallions final

by Abdul Habib
    6th March 2010

[​IMG]

I've just spoken to Mohammad Irfan and he told me that the Multan Tigers took strength from being labelled as the underdogs, they didn't mind being written off by everyone else because they knew that they had the right work ethic to challenge any team. In the end the Tigers fought till the very last ball and only fell two runs short of pulling off an upset against the much stronger Lahore Lions team.

Irfan said that before the game, when the Tigers were making plans for the Lions batsmen he had been told that it was his job to take care of the left handers. Irfan replied that he was confident about getting Nasir Jamshed's wicket because he always got Nasir early. After the Lions game, Nasir (a good friend of Irfan) came up to Irfan and said "from now on I'm going to tell my coaches that I don't want to play in any games where lambu (the tall guy) is on the other team."

When I asked what the plan had been for Salman Butt, Irfan replied "Everyone knows that Salman loves to drive and since I get extra bounce, Manzoor Elahi told me to tempt him to drive and that Salman would edge the ball behind him. When Salman came in I tried the plan on the first ball and it worked."

Irfan lamented missing out on a hat trick, he'd wanted to take away a slip and put in a short midwicket hoping to get the batsman caught trying to hook/pull a bouncer but the captain wanted to try something else.

Talking about his 4th over Irfan said "Before I bowled Hafeez ran up to discuss a field change and we brought the third man in, in hindsight it was a bad move. Umar Akmal noticed what we'd done and took full advantage by giving himself room and launching into his shots. It's disappointing to get knocked out when you come so close but there will be other opportunities in the future."

Irfan thinks that we will see a Faisalabad Wolves and Sialkot Stallions final with the Stallions taking the cup for a 5th time. He thinks that the teams are well matched but the Stallions have much better death bowlers and the Wolves will struggle to make full use of the last 5 overs.

9. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan: Waqar said we're practically neighbours

by Abdul Habib
    25th March 2010

[​IMG]

Irfan is back at the NCA in Lahore and is playing for the NCA XI team which is taking on the Afghanistan national team in a series of practise games. The NCA XI have won the first two games, by large margins. The final two games will be held on the Fri 26th & Sat 27th March.

Just before the Pakistan Day tournament, Irfan was practising at the NCA and ended up sharing the nets with most of the Pakistan players.

His first delivery to Salman Butt went wide at which point the coach came over and told him off saying, what's the point of you running in all that way and then wasting your energy by bowling wide.

Irfan took the advice on board and carried on bowling, he had Butt 'slipped' twice (eg a nick to the slips but there are no slips during nets) before Misbah came in to face him. Irfan bowled Misbah on his 3rd delivery and really enjoyed testing his skills against batsmen from the national team.

Later on he got together with fellow left arm fast bowler Mohammad Aamer for a mutual coaching session. Aamer wanted Irfan to show him the grip he uses to get the ball to swing in whilst Irfan wanted to know how Aamer gets outswing so easily.

But the highlight of the day was when he was spotted in the nets by Waqar Younis who came over for a little chat. Waqar was very happy with the way Irfan was bowling and asked him where he hails from. When Irfan named his village, which is near Waqar's hometown in Multan, Waqar said 'so we're practically neighbours then'

Irfan is hoping that he can continue to keep developing his game and impressing the likes of Waqar.

10. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan: Talha, Cheema, Wahab, Sohail and I've been called up to the Pakistan camp

by Abdul Habib
    30th March 2010

[​IMG]

Cricistan.com's own 6'10 giant left arm fast bowler is delighted to reveal that he's been called up to train with the Pakistan players. Irfan received a letter from the PCB asking him to join the camp starting on the 29th.

Cricistan can exclusively reveal that in a surprise sensible move, the PCB have called up Mohammad Irfan, Wahab Riaz, Mohammad Talha, Aizaz Cheema and Sohail Khan to bowl to the Pakistan team in the nets.

Usman Qadir, Abdul Rehman and Ahmed Shahzad have also been called up to the camp as well.

Irfan told Cricistan.com that "Those of us who aren't part of the T20 squad or the reserves, spend the morning working out at the NCA whilst the national team does their training. But in the evening we all attend the net sessions together."

Irfan has been enjoying bowling to international batsmen and even got the chance to send a handful of deliveries down to Afridi.

"I beat Afridi 3 balls in a row before he shouted out 'well played yaar' and advised me not to change my line saying it was very good." remembered Irfan.

But the highlight of his day was when Waqar would come over to him to give him some advice. Irfan said the first thing that Waqar picked up on was the length that Irfan was bowling.

"Waqar walked over to me and told me that because of my height what was a good length for other bowlers didn't suit me. He said that if I was hitting a normal bowlers good length then I would be bowling too short and the batsman didn't need to play at the ball. Waqar advised me that a good length for me was to pitch the ball a little fuller and then my natural bounce would take care of the rest."

"Waqar went on to say that when batsmen saw my height they would automatically go onto the backfoot. So when I bowled fuller than they were expecting it would pull them forward and give me a better chance of getting a wicket" stated Irfan to Cricistan.com

Irfan is busy taking on board all the advice that Waqar has been giving him and implementing it into his bowling. He feels that it's already made a noticeable difference and he cant wait for more gems from Waqar.

11. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Mohammad Irfan playing for Moddesrshall cricket club

by Abdul Habib
    30th March 2010

[​IMG]

Cricistan.com's own giant left arm bowler will be coming to England from mid-April to play in the Premier Division of the North Staffordshire and South Cheshire League. Additionally Ijaz Ahmed Jr will be playing for Modderhall's A side this season

Irfan who only debuted in first class cricket last season, has had a very successful first season playing for KRL in the Pakistan domestic. He took 43 wickets in the 10 first class games he played. He's also represented Pakistan's National Cricket Academy against Afghanistan and Pakistan A, impressing a lot of people along the way.

Currently Irfan is training with the Pakistan cricket team at a national camp in Lahore where he's caught the eye of national coach Waqar Younis. Waqar who was impressed with Irfan's control, has been advising Irfan on the correct line and lengths to bowl for his height.

Moddershall Cricket Club was founded in 1922 and has previously been home to former Pakistan A legspinner Imran Tahir. Tahir claimed 80 wickets for Moddershall en route to their 2008 North Staffordshire and South Cheshire League Premier Division title success. Tahir now plays for the Titans in South Africa and is now hoping to play for the South African national team.

Moddershall is also the club that Rangana Herath was playing for when Sri Lanka called him up to face Pakistan last year. Herath ended up taking 15 wickets in 3 games.

Hopefully Irfan can pick up some of that Moddershall magic and get noticed this coming season.

12. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Afridi and Razzaq told to annihilate Irfan

by Abdul Habib
    10th April 2010

[​IMG]

At the training camp in Lahore, the players have had two more days of practise matches after the first game where Pakistan A beat Pakistan.

However these haven't been typical practise games. Cricistan.com has learnt that the Pakistan coaching team are trialling something a bit different. They're selecting two batsmen and two bowlers and setting them a target.

For example the batsmen must score 60 runs in 6 overs and the bowlers have to stop them from doing that. Every time a wicket falls it adds 10 runs to the total required. The first set of target scenarios took place on Wednesday 7th April and only involved the players selected for the T20 World Cup.

However today (Saturday 10th April), all the players took part and Mohammad Irfan ended up in the unenviable position of being picked to tame Afridi and Razzaq.

That's right, Razzaq and Afridi were given free license to take apart Irfan's bowling and to plunder 60 runs from 6 overs. Bowling from the other end for the first over was Mohammad Sami who went for around 15 runs, the other two overs at the opposite end to Irfan were bowled by Hafeez who also went for a few runs with a few boundaries off his bowling.

But what happened at Irfan's end? Did the twin cannons of Afridi and Razzaq send him flying into the stratosphere?

Luckily for Irfan he had a secret weapon in his corner, a little somebody called Waqar Younis who was there to advise Irfan on what to bowl. Irfan told Cricistan.com that Waqar asked him to aim to make the ball rear up at the throats of Razzaq and Afridi.

In the end, Irfan only went for 9 runs off his 3 overs taking the wicket of Razzaq and only getting hit for 1 four by Afridi. So the bowlers won the day against two of the biggest hitters in the history of the game.

Another interesting encounter was when Hafeez and Kamran had to score 60 runs off 6 overs against Saeed Ajmal and Mohammad Asif. They lost two wickets but managed to reach the revised total of 80 runs therefore winning their encounter.

These target matches are probably being used to try and help the Pakistan team focus on an objective and prepare for chasing/defending a target. Cricistan.com thinks that these target scenarios are a great idea and hopefully we'll see more new initiatives being implemented in the future too.

13. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Fawad sets it up, Irfan finishes it

by Abdul Habib
    17th April 2010

[​IMG]

The third and final T20 practise game between Pakistan and Pakistan A took place on Friday, it was held at the training camp in Lahore. National captain Shahid Afridi was busy in Karachi with the launch of the T20 World Cup so Misbah Ul Haq took over the captaincy of the Pakistan team whilst Mohammad Hafeez captained Pakistan A.

Essentially both teams were Pakistan A teams because both teams were a mix of first team and reserve players. The Akmal brothers were on opposing sides but neither of them did much in this game.

Pakistan A batted first but were in trouble very early as Asif took the wickets of Khalid Latif and Umar Akmal in the first over. Aamer took Umar Amin's wicket and after 15-odd runs Hafeez eventually fell to Aamer as well.

In no time at all Pakistan A were 40-ish runs for 4 wickets requiring a miracle to make a game of this match. Cometh the hour and cometh the man, Fawad Alam stepped up and began to rebuild their innings. Eventually Pakistan A recovered and scored around 145/7 with a big 50 from Fawad Alam.

Pakistan's bowlers did a fantastic job with Asif and Aamer on top, Ajmal and Azam also took a wicket each.

Pakistan went into the chase confidently, after all they were looking at a relatively modest total and were favourites to beat Pakistan A.

But they hadn't reckoned on running into a giant. Unfortunately for them they did.

Irfan opened the bowling for Pakistan A and took 2 wickets in his first over, removing both Salman Butt and Kamran Akmal. Sami came on from the other side but went for 8 or 9 runs. Then Irfan came back and bowled a 3 run over to keep the pressure on Pakistan. Irfan was unlucky not to have more wickets with a couple of catches being dropped off his bowling.

Misbah came out to steady the innings but got a nasty bouncer from Irfan which broke his helmet. The match was stopped as everyone rushed in to check on Misbah's health but afer a short break he was fine to continue. In fact Misbah went on to score a big 50 himself and remained not out in the end.

But Pakistan A's spinners dried up the runs through the middle of the innings with both Hafeez and Rehman taking a wicket each. Misbah got some support from domestic batting legend Naumanullah who'd been drafted in specially to play this game but it wasn't enough. With 24 runs needed off the last over Pakistan fell short by 10 runs.

Another victory for Pakistan A who win this series 2-1

14. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan Blog: I still can't believe it

18th April 2010

[​IMG]

Mohammad Irfan was watching the TV in his room at the Lahore NCA when there was a newsflash on Geo reporting that both Mohammad Irfan and Mohammad Sami had been selected to join the Pakistan T20 World Cup squad. Irfan was aware of a team meeting taking place at the NCA but was still a little shocked to see the news announced all over the media.

Irfan exclusively told Cricistan.com about what he was feeling at the time "I was in a state of shock; I couldn't believe what I was watching. Of course I'd been hoping for this to happen but never did I dream that it would happen as quickly and dramatically as this. I was preparing myself for a possible call up to play during the games coming up in England later this year but this is totally unexpected."

The first person to congratulate Irfan was a friend from Burewala who called him on the phone as he sat in front of the TV still taking the news in. Irfan then came out of his room and met Shahid Afridi and Waqar Younis who both told him to come to a meeting of the Pakistan team.

"Afridi said mubarak lambu you've made it into the team and Wicky bhai said shabash (well done) this is the reward for all your hard work and perseverance." a stunned Irfan told Cricistan.com.

During the meeting Irfan was officially told of his selection and congratulated by everyone. Sami was welcomed back into the team whilst Irfan was welcomed for the first time and told that the real hard work begins now.

"I'm going to be fitted for my official Pakistan kit tomorrow, then I'm to report to the NCA on the 23rd to join the team before we fly out on the 24th."

"I'd like to thank my parents for all their patience and prayers, as well as all those who've supported me in my cricket career. From the first day that Nadeem Iqbal spotted me to this day when I've been called up to play for Pakistan." said an emotional Irfan to Cricistan.com.

I reminded Irfan that he had to carry on the tradition of Pakistan debuting left arm bowlers in T20 World Cups. Tanvir was a success in 2007, Aamer in 2009 and hopefully Irfan will do it in 2010.

I asked Irfan if he had anything else to add and he was very adamant that I include the following quote.

"I'd like to thank the people behind Cricistan.com who've supported me from day one. Just over a year ago, I'd given up cricket and I was working as a foreman in a plastic pipe factory when Abdul Habib (currently with Cricistan.com) arranged for me to meet Aqib Javed who was then the assistant coach of Pakistan. When Aqib saw me, he was so impressed that he asked me to come back to the NCA the next day and then my journey began. Habib and Cricistan.com supported me even through the bad times, they were there to reassure me when things weren't going as planned and congratulate me when things were going good. They never gave up on me."

"I would like other organisations and companies in Pakistan to learn from Cricistan.com and to also extend their support and sponsorship to other youngsters as well. There are many youngsters in Pakistan who can’t dedicate time to following their sporting dreams because they don't know anyone influential or because their families need them to be the breadwinners. Initiatives like this one are needed to help more sportsmen achieve their dreams." said Irfan in a message to businesses and organisations in Pakistan.

If Irfan debuts for Pakistan then at 6'10 he'll become the tallest player to play international cricket in the history of the game. Previously Bruce Reid and Joel Garner were the tallest at 6'8 but Irfan has 2 inches on them.

15. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan Blog: Left arm spinner Rehman replaces fast bowler Irfan

Abdul Habib
    19th April 2010

[​IMG]

Yesterday Pakistan's captain, coach and chief selector all unanimously selected Mohammad Irfan to join the Pakistan squad for the T20 World Cup. Irfan's wildest dream had come true but today in a move that makes no sense to anyone who knows anything about cricket, Ijaz Butt has forced Abdul Rehman on the Pakistan team.

Rehman will become Pakistan's 5th spin bowling option. Does a team boasting the likes of Ajmal and Afridi need yet another spinner in their ranks?

Speaking exclusively to Cricistan.com Mohammad Irfan said that he was given the news by Waqar Younis.

"Wicky bhai came and informed me about the decision personally. He told me that I shouldn't lose heart and that I was still in his plans to play for Pakistan." stated a dejected Irfan.

Irfan said that naturally he's a little down about being dropped but that he hoped it meant that God had something better in store for him.

I reminded Irfan that T20 cricket was a risky business and not the best place for him to make his debut. He would only have 4 overs to impress and T20 was a game where any bowler can take a beating.

I told him that he was better off debuting in an ODI or a Test match where he would get 10 to 30 overs to show what he was capable of.

Irfan replied "I can see the logic in that Habib bhai and hopefully you're right about this. I have to focus on the future. My next assigment is to play the Pentangular tournament for the Baluchistan Bears and I will make sure that I raise my game even higher."

In conclusion I reminded Irfan that the most important part of this debacle was that Irfan was now a household name and that meant that even if he didn't get his chance this time. He was now on the radar and that he would get his chance very soon, Insha Allah (God Willing).

"Insha Allah" came the reply but the gloom was still there.

I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for Irfan, one minute he's realised the dream he toiled for over a decade to achieve. And the next minute it's snatched away.

16. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan Blog: Irfan cancels league contract to fight for Pakistan place

by Abdul Habib
    24th April 2010

[​IMG]

Speaking exclusively to Cricistan.com; Mohammad Irfan has revealed that he chose to stay in Pakistan and fight for a place in the national team instead of taking up a lucrative league contract in England. Earlier this year Irfan signed a contract with Moddershall CC which is a club in the Staffordshire league in England. Irfan doesn't come from a very rich background so the money from this contract would've made a big difference to him and his family.

But Irfan knows that this coming season will be his best chance to get into the Pakistan team and he doesn't plan to let anything stop him from achieving his dream.

"I was really excited about the league contract because I've never played in England before and it would've been beneficial for me to get used to those conditions. Also it would've helped to give me some financial stability whilst I continued to chase my dream of playing for Pakistan.

But at the end of the day I think it's best to be honest with others and with yourself too. My priority will always be to represent my country and the best way to achieve that is to stay here at the NCA and continue to attend camps and play as many games in Pakistan as I can. When I play here in Pakistan there's a greater chance for the selectors to spot me and hopefully that will increase my chances of getting picked this year." Irfan told Cricistan.com.

Irfan also revealed that he didn't want to let Moddershall CC down by having to walk out on them mid-season if he got called back to a training camp or even to the Pakistan team.

"At this stage in my career it's very important for me to participate in every event that the PCB calls me for, I want to make myself fully available. Because of that it wouldn't be fair for me to go over to England and then come back every time my name is included in a PCB camp or game. Moddershall deserves better than that." Irfan stated to Cricistan.com

Moddershall's Andy Hawkins had mixed emotions when he heard the news that Irfan wouldn't be playing for them this season.

"We were all very excited about having Irfan as our professional this season and we're disappointed to lose out on a talent like him. With his height and bounce he's something out of the ordinary and I think he'd be very successful on our pitches. But I also know that he's worked really hard to get noticed by the Pakistani selectors and I can understand why he's chosen to stay. I just hope that he fulfills his dream and gets selected for Pakistan." Andy told Cricistan.com

When I asked if they had lined up a replacement yet, Andy said that they were waiting on visa approval for Asad Ali of Faisalabad.

Asad Ali is a very good fast bowler himself and could turn out to be another shrewd pick by Moddershall CC.

17. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Irfan: We should've won the final

by Abdul Habib
    2nd May 2010

[​IMG]

The Baluchistan Bears were humbled in the RBS Pentangular final, they were bowled out 78 runs short of the target. The 110 run partnership between Abdul Rauf and Abid Ali came too late in the day, the Bears were already 8 wickets down when Rauf joined Abid at the crease.

Speaking exclusively to Cricistan.com, Mohammad Irfan felt that the Bears had let the Dolphins run away with the game in the first innings.

"At one stage the Dolphins were 37/2 and then again we had them 133/4 but I think we relaxed and let the game run away from us. It was Hasan Raza's experience and calm head that was the difference between the two teams. He made sure that his partnership with Faisal Iqbal was full of singles and doubles and they ended up with a big score." Irfan told Cricistan.com

Talking about his own bowling Irfan said "I took a couple of wickets and had catches dropped but I should have bowled better. It was a slow wicket that suited spinners and slower bowlers. On the day their slower bowlers did more damage than ours, our middle order struggled and so we failed to reach the target."

In other news Irfan told me that earlier this week he appeared on Bolain Kya Baat Hai with his Baluchistan and Multan skipper Abdul Rauf. He said he was nervous but he thinks it went well.

Irfan has also been picked to attend a 3 week camp in Lahore, it starts on the 5th of May. The camp will include 24 of the most promising players from Pakistan and it'll be another chance for Irfan to impress the selectors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.