The most memorable "cameo" innings played in ODI cricket?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Majid Khan, Aug 25, 2016.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Majid Khan

Majid Khan Youngsta Beauty

Mar 27, 2010
    There's been many a great innings that have been played in ODI cricket over the years, but there are some 'special' innings that we will have enjoyed so much that they are memorable and bring that feeling even today when you watch the highlights, like Saeed Anwar's 194, Ijaz Ahmad's 139* v India at Lahore in 97-- yes THAT innings! or Inzamam's 122 v India chasing a score of 350 and nearly doing it -- for me I'm privileged to have grown up an in era watching many such entertaining 100s from the likes of Viv Richards, Lara, Tendulkar, Azharuddin, Jayasuriya, Aravinda De Silva, Saeed Anwar, Inzamam, Saleem Malik over the years who were my all-time favourite batsmen.

But the question I have is not about great 100s - what is the most memorable 'cameo' innings of just 20-30 runs that you have ever seen? For me there was one innings that I still enjoy and find thrilling even when I see it today in highlights, it was a brief cameo knock by Mohammed Yousaf in the Pakistan v Australia group stage match in the 1999 World Cup. Does anyone else remember that innings?? he only scored 29 off 16 balls with 4 fours and a six, but every shot was so stylish and perfectly timed , I remember watching this live and bear in mind this was the 90s before the T20 era, Yousaf's batting was just breathtaking. The best thing about it was these were all proper cricket shots and against quality bowling, not mindless slogging like Afridi or brute force / power hitting like Gayle.

Watch here in this video clip from about 12 minutes to 15 minutes:

2. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 18, 2012

The knock that made many Bengalis shed tears after they thought they would beat Pakistan in the Asia cup at home.

The knock that culminated with Afridi's "twins" against the rivals India.

The fact that both these knocks came quite close to one another was also a treat as an Afridi fan.

3. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    Afridi..what a crazy player. We will never see another of his kind. Unbelievable hitting.

And lol athar ali khan, he was literally in tears and harsha was only adding insult to injury with his excitement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Sarfraz ahmeds 40ish in the asia cup final.

He wasnt that famous at the time, but it was his little cameo which contributed to the win in the final.

5. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Razzaq v SA at Abu Dhabi.

6. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    hows that a cameo lol. it was a hundred.

7. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    even better

Afridi 1st 100 :yk

8. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    for me the best I've seen is

of course Afridi V india @ Asia Cup 2014

Rashid Latif used to play some at no.3

9. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    Umer Gul against SA in wt20 when the match was all gone ?

10. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
    Lol the end of that innings was mad. He started off slow

11. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Aug 31, 2011
    Probably what @Desi_Joker posted. Afridi walked in twice with the match virtually over in the semis and final of the Asia Cup. He somehow managed to pull it back for Pakistan in both of those games

12. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
    Afridi, one of a kind.

13. London_Lahori

London_Lahori Tracer Bullet

Feb 18, 2014
    I remember a few of the cameos from our lower order in the 99 WC, especially Moin Khan with his swipes to the leg side.

Particularly against Australia and SA.

14. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    @Majid, Great call with the yousuf innings. I was at headingley that day and was a privilege to see that live. I can't describe how great that six on the leg side was.

On the topic of these type of cameos, moin also played on of those innings in the same match. However, some of those shots were a bit edgy and obv nowhere near the class of yousuf.

One of my favourite innings was saeed anwar's innings vs India at Bangalore in the 1996 QF. 48 off 32 balls so prob slightly longer than the criteria you gave, but pure class

15. Majid Khan

Majid Khan Youngsta Beauty

Mar 27, 2010
    Wow that's some match you went to see, that group game at Headingley between Pakistan and Australia in 1999 WC is one of my all-time favourite ODI games... it was just so thrilling to watch. Inzamam's wonderful innings, Yusuf and Moin's cameos, and then Wasim Akram's bowling.. what a team.

Agree, Yousaf's shots were just pure class and I created this thread with that innings in mind , can vividly remember every shot he played in that innings with such style and authority.

Saeed Anwar's innings in the 96 QF v India was also awesome.

Compare that to some of the modern day batsmen - I noticed recently that Hafeez has scored 11 ODI centuries -- call me biased, but I can't even remember one from memory !! LOL, honestly I do not remember a single innings from Hafeez where I sat up and noticed him, thinking "WHAT A PLAYER!" ! . And then there are cameos of 30s / 40s from players of yesteryears that I still remember so vividly, anyone else feel the same ?

16. PakistanZindabad!

PakistanZindabad! Cornered Tiger

Sep 29, 2012
    Afridi's 88 vs SA that gave hope of victory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
    Afridi against South Africa in 2009 WT20I. Was great with both bat and ball.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

18. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Inzi in Semi-final 1992WC. That one inning always over shadowed Inzi's WC games.

19. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Yea great match to see, the atmosphere, all the performances you mentioned and the icing on the cake was shoaib's inswinging Yorker to remove Steve Waugh.

Normally that would be the best day of cricket I've seen live in the ground, but I was also at lords in 1992 on the 4th day (which turned out to be the last). Saw wasim, waqar and mushy clean England up, major pak batting collapse and then wasim and waqar taking them to victory with the bat! I'd say it's a tie between both matches!

Haha this is the crazy thing. All those greats from the past and we're stuck with the hafeez and maliks of the world.

Not only that, we get so many sixes these days, big bats, small grounds. A lot of innovative shots, but give me authentic, classy, timed sixes like saeed, yousuf any day!

20. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    The effort with the bat by Anwar Ali and Bilawal Bhatti in their ODI debut against SA.

Also Ajay Jadeja's innings in that 1996 WC quarter final.

21. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Since you mentioned Anwar Ali, his 40 off 15 balls or something against Sri Lanka (T20). That was one hell of a cameo inning.

Starts at 17 mins.

22. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
    ^ what a game and a smash and grab win.

Sensational cameos by shahid and anwar.