The tallest fast bowler in the world

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jan 18, 2010.

The tallest fast bowler in the world

by Abdul Habib
Jan 18, 2010 at 3:56 PM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009

mohammad-irfan-cricistan-tallest.png

In March 2008, I did an interview with domestic legend and ex-fast bowler Nadeem Iqbal. During the interview he told me that he had a 7 foot left arm fast bowler training at his academy. I found it hard to believe him because if such a phenomenon really existed then surely even the incompetent PCB wouldn't have missed a 7 foot fast bowler!! However Nadeem insisted that he was telling the truth and so I began to keep tabs on Mohammad Irfan's (the giant) progress.

I was regularly calling Nadeem for updates on Irfan's struggle to get into a first class team but things weren't looking great for Irfan. He wasn't rich and he had no-one influential backing him and (in Pakistan) without that no first class team could fit him into their bloated squads. 8 months passed and Irfan couldn't afford to keep dreaming of becoming a cricketer, he had a family to worry about and so around October 2008 he gave up on cricket and turned his focus to earning money for his family.

Nadeem and I weren't happy but there was little we could do if the PCB and Pakistan's first class teams weren't interested. For a long time it looked like the story would end there. But then in February 2009 I arranged an interview with Pakistan's assitant coach Aqib Javed. During the interview I put Aqib on the spot and asked him if he would agree to take a look at Irfan and judge his ability. Aqib was understandably wary about a tale of a 7 foot left arm fast bowler coming from someone he had never met but after some persuading he agreed to meet with Irfan. Keep reading the blog to find out what happened next.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments