1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

The weight training/fitness thread

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by chandtara, Sep 12, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014

what?

2. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    Face punches are typically banned in knockdown tournaments as no protection is worn whatsoever (apart from the rudimentary mouth guard and groin cup), although iirc a few years some Kyokushin tournaments were launched in which light gloves were worn (nothing like 16 oz, so possibly more dangerous) and head punches allowed - no head guards worn either.

From what I've heard - I have never done full contact sparring myself - head punches are practiced in training with regularity in top dojos but not prior or in knockdown tournaments (apart from the recent ones cropping up, like I wrote above). Suffice to say, bare-knuckled punches to the temple regions could cause far too much damage to the CNS than it would help the technique of fighters.

I think the problem with how karate as a whole is considered a bit "wishy-washy" and, excuse the language, a load of bullshit is due to the styles which promote self-discipline, self-defence, dedication (and sometimes "having fun" lol) over fighting full contact. Making the styles Westernised (via ridiculous films such as Karate Kid) has also not helped karate's reputation.

I'd say Kyokushin is the only true style of karate which is full contact and promotes an ability to fight in a street-fight situation, not just in a controlled dojo environment. A lot of other styles are actually off-shoots of the original kyokushinkai (adding grappling etc).

A bit of history behind a style named daido juku/kudo which you may have heard about:
    Have you heard of the name Georges St-Pierre? Often rated as the best MMA fighter in the Welterweight division...he also trained in Kyokushin.

K-1 was also founded by a guy who had trained in an off-shoot of Kyokushin and many successful fighters have trained in reputed Kyokushin dojos from a young age.

http://www.nathanligo.com/kyokushin-kan-instructors-seminars-concept-1-head-punches/

3. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    I'd learn silat. ComradeVenom
    Looks awesome and focuses on speed.

4. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    My Khalu is the coach of Pakistan's National Silat team.

5. PakistanZindabad!

PakistanZindabad! Cornered Tiger

Sep 29, 2012
    Kickboxing is something I'd love to take up eventually

6. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    Heard about the guy doing the kumite I originally thought it was something they made up in blood sport lol.

7. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Is he really? Awesome!whered he get the training from?

8. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Yeah he is, I have no idea to be honest, he is the one who created Pakistan's silat team. He used to be Pakistan's Wushu team manager but left for some reason and then created Pakistan Silat Federation.

I reckon he learnt it whilst visiting other countries. At the moment he's in Thailand because the Silat World Championship is starting on the 7th.

9. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    thats awesome man...good luck to him iA

10. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    WaQaReD!

I started doing cycling with this machine I don't know the name of... for my cardio to reduce stomach fat

but my groin gets numb after doing it for 10 minutes, is it normal ? should I stop when I feel this ?

my target daily is to do for 15 min, 20 max

11. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011

is this a serious question - your groin gets numb riding a bike? adjust your saddle position and height
    I've probably given the same advice previously to others, but try and alternate your cardio sessions between steady state cardio and high intensity interval training, a couple of each should be fine, 15-20mins is plenty for high intensity interval training types of cardio

12. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014

the saddle isn't big enough i think but I stop when i feel like this

then start after a minute

btw, steady state and high means normal speed and high speed right ?

13. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 18, 2012
    Or sit properly on the saddle instead of constantly bouncing on it. :shrug

14. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011

yes steady state is staying at a constant pace, eg around 60%
    high intensity interval training or hiit would be alternating periods of all out effort with slower periods, ie 45 seconds steady pace, 15seconds fast and repeat for 15mins

15. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014

my beastly bum is bigger than the saddle :rofl :ssh

16. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011

please, spare us the thought?! arse like an angry sea monster x

[​IMG]

its this big?!

[​IMG]

17. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
  18. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    :rofl :rofl

I see the problem. I was leaning forward too much because I wanted to feel like riding a actual bike :p

Thanks for the advice xx

19. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
  20. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Might have to bring this thread back to life to bring back @WaQaReD!

21. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Aug 31, 2011
    Forgot about this thread, does anybody here take BCAA tablets and Whey?

22. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Anyone doing/done Stronglifts 5x5?

23. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    I think i will text the main man to come back and help us with our questions

24. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Yeah I do this, 5 of my most favourite exercises too.

Warm up by doing Pullups, Pushups and Tricep/Chest exercises on the dip bar followed by various resistance band routines. I was following an intermittent fasting diet which went to absolute crap since I have gotten back to Ireland.

25. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Yeah its the best exercises anyway, core ones. Ah you do the pullups/dips for warm-up? I do them (and reckon they would go better) at the end, as supplemental exercises (pullups after workout A (squat, overhead, deadlift) and dips after 'B').

Although i always hit plateau's with the Overhead Press, cant seem to properly get through it. I try supplementary exercises to strengthen my shoulders (dumbbell press/front raise etc) but still not much improvement.

26. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Yeah I do body weight exercises as often as I can because I enjoy doing them even though may not be recommended but I find that lifting heavy weights afterwards does not lead me to feel much strain. Would show you my results with just one month of this, plus my eating patterns and it shocked everybody but I really have lost the plot since I got back here. My routine has been disrupted even though I have a dip bar and bench in my room. I guess you take it for granted when you have this stuff available around you

What is your diet like? could tell you a very good bulking diet but at the same time one that would not allow you to get fat either

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  27. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Honestly, diet is terrible (not in the sense that i eat crap all the time, more in the 'i gotta eat more and eat proper' sense). I have a naturally fast metabolism so find bulking hard anyway (though the advantage of that is, i can eat anything and not pay for it, unlike some of my friends...just a little while ago i had and egg/cress sandwich, pasta, curry/rice and a donut lol.
    My chest develops at rapid pace but overall im not lucky like some, who can develop overall quick time.

Yh go ahead?

28. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Any ideas on how to make protein shake taste better? They literally make me sick.

29. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Which one do you drink?

If it is the gold standard one from optimum nutrition and I assume the chocolate one then maybe move on to the vanilla or strawberry. I have found the chocolate one to be very bland in comparison to both Strawberry and Vanilla. You can get the double chocolate ones too

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  30. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    yeah man Dmd you

31. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    I've tried different ones. My taste buds dislike them. The only one I can enjoy are these ready made ones.

[​IMG]

32. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    I have a better idea. Let's start how much you weigh thread :srt

33. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    All protein shakes taste rubbish...its an unwritten rule lol

Who cares though, its about the effect rather than taste

34. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011

That looks like a lot of protein in one go. You could just buy Mooju from Tesco whenever you want? 30g of Protein in one Milkshake and it also tastes nice. Quite cheap too if you were to compare it with buying Whey Protein Powder

35. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Height: 183.88cm - Weight: 83Kg

36. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Height 5'11
    Weight 113 Kg (was 125 Kg 4 weeks ago)

37. cricketrulez

cricketrulez Banned

Feb 1, 2010
    You lost 25+ pounds in 4 weeks?

38. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    That is impressive, did you do a shed load of deadlifts, cardio and squats?

39. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011

It is possible, a friend of mine lost 20 Kg in 3 weeks, he came back after Xmas holidays all slim, our entire class was in shock. His secret, a lot of cardio and football every day for 6 hours lol.

He used to be a big guy

40. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    A friend has joined the Cambridge Diet Plan. Will be interesting to see the results.