The weight training/fitness thread

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by chandtara, Sep 12, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    I have found the bar twists to be an incredibly usefull exercise especially for obliques and tranversis abdominis.

In order to get an 8-pec, you will have to work on the lower 1/4th of your rectus muscle which is not easy as most of the usual core exercises fail to target that area. You will find that simple exercises like knee ups and crunches can help you alot.

(Disclaimer: GP with special interest in Sports Science Medicine)

2. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    Guys...does whey protein contain animal rennet??

3. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Because Whey can be obtained artificially from cheese, essentially an animal produce.

4. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    so its been a few months been controlling what ive been eating, have shed about 10kg. looking to lose another 6 or 7 kg by the end of the year, and 11, or 12 kg overall.

got chatted up by a stranger on the tube the other day, first time in ages, so got motivation to keep shedding. :D

5. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Yes, gwan son! #EastEndmode

6. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Are you guys using any supplements along with your workout and diet plans? I was thinking about starting on Amino Acids but somebody told me that if you stop working out you will become all flabby.

7. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Great going dude. Whatever gets you motivated. Taking care of your appearence is all about self-respect.

8. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    So guys have finally decided to participate in the Leeds Triathlon 2017. Always wanted to do this but somehow it got pushed back for one reason or another. I got eight months to train and need to focus more on cycling as have not had any practice for a long time. Running and swimming should be fine.

9. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Nice, good luck!

10. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    Can't relate.

11. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    Because they come with weight pouches and you can keep adjusting them for your body workouts lol.

12. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    @Bart I would only trust optimum nutrition supplements

Grab yourself some Whey and BCAA from them

13. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Yes

14. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    What? :D

15. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    I have heard that if you are taking BCAA and you stop exercising your body becomes flabby. Is that true?

16. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Branch chain amino acids like other proteins supplements are anabolic in nature i.e. they increase muscle mass and prevent catabolism. Whilst you are taking them you will have increase muscle mass and growth. If you take them alongwith training than the gained muscle will become toned and shapely at the same time. If you have taken them for some time and then stop training, the increased muscle mass will not just disappear but because of lack of tension stimulus, muscles will just go flabby and softer. This can happen with any anabolic agents, whether proteinacious or steroidal.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  17. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Since you are a doctor would you advice taking them? I am not a hard core weight lifter. I work out for an hour or so (around 4 days a week). My workouts are not that strenuous (light cardio with some weight training).

18. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    @Bart

It totally depends upon your objectives. You need to decide whether you want to build mass or just keep fit snd active. If you want to build mass and do weight training with it you can use Amino Acid supplements but avoid steroids. There are so many AA products available commercially and you can opt for any well known and proven brand, no problems as long as you take them in recommended amounts and do regular weight training with it. The reported risks to your kidneys or cataract etc are minimal.

If you take protein supplements, you must keep up with fluids to keep yourself hydrated as you dont want to strain your kidneys with all that metabolic waste load.

If you just want to keep fit and active then you dont really have to take nutritional supplements. A balanced healthy diet with good porportions of meat, poultry, pulses, carbs and fruits should do.

I do both cardio and weight training but never took suppliments but get asked alot by patients about these. Another important thing is not to go overboard with catabolic exercises e.g. long sustained running etc if you want to have good muscle physique. Short bursts of cardio and HIT should be fine. People running long and hard cannot build reasonable mass at the same time.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

19. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Thanks for the insight. The objective is to have a lean body (not a big fan of bulky body), however it seems I just cannot get it lean enough. I had a ligament tear couple of years ago while playing football and since then I try to avoid running long distances. My cardio in the morning is mostly limited to incline walk on treadmill for 10 minutes and climbing up 11 stories (from 4th floor to 15th floor apartment) after the weight training exercise.

I feel my body fat percentage is not going down, it probably is due to bad diet. However, I was wondering if increasing the muscle mass would help the process as muscle does burn more fat.

20. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. That is the bottom line. There are many variables but the basic thing is you need to be burning more calories than you are taking in.

21. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Well I am not overweight by any means. I weigh around 76 / 77 kgs and my height is around 5 ft 11. I think the issue is more of a skinny fat one.

22. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    76 kg on 5 foot 11 height is not overweight at all. But if you want to get leaner you will have to look into you diet and see if you could cut some carbohydrates but dont overdo it. Carbs are not evil as they are portrayed recently.

I agree with your BMI if you feel your body and muscles are a bit flabby then weight training should help you.

10 minutes treadmill on incline is a good idea but try to do a treadmill cooper test and see how fit you are. You can slowly improve your results as you work on cooper test by running as fast as you can for 12 minutes but make sure you have an incline of atleast 1.

Fitness is more about stamina and endurance than muscle mass and ability to lift heavy weights.

Resistance bands can also help shape and tone up your muscles. They are lightweight and portable and do not put strain on your joints. There are many bands available but Bodylastics seem to be quite good and their build quality is exceptional.

23. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    I agree with that, I will take the cooper test within this week and post results here but I would like to think that I am generally quite fit. As I said I climb around 10 to 15 floors via stairs every day and am able to do so fairly quickly and without feeling like I am about to collapse.

However, the issue seems to be body tone, even when I get my weight down to 75 / 74 I still feel that my body is not well toned / lean. I would still have lose pecks and some flab on the stomach.

24. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    @Bart
    I was a naturally skinny guy with very quick metabolism but this specific exercise routine really helped me out. In 2015, I had gotten quite fat due to overeating and because of this lost 4 waist sizes and gained plenty of muscle within 4 months.

This was my routine

7:30 - 8am - Woke up and took some BCAA tablets (Protein Shake is another alternative)
    Started working out for as long as I could manage in the morning. So since I had to go to labs I would drink a coffee and go to labs.

10am: would bring a pack of protein shakes with me and make it up in uni and drink it.

12: My first meal of the day. 4 egg spanish omellate (cheese, pepper, tomato, turmeric, ginger, cinnamom, spices, oregano, mixed herbs) and 3 bars of wheatabix. You need to keep your first meal your biggest of the day. High in protein and carbs. Eggs have a lot of protein, Wheatabix have a lot of protein, carbs and Fibre which is a healthy alternative to a lot of other foods. All in all you get around 30+ g of protein with that meal, and because you have already ingested two protein shakes you have around 90g of protein built up in a space of 3 hours.

1500pm: your second meal of the day, normally just ate a tuna sandwich, high on protein, but only with wholemeal bread.

You can choose to work out between now and 7 if you so wish yourself, you have plenty of time before your last meal of the day at 7. Protein and carbs are high in this meal again.

2100 pm: your detox period before you sleep. Shit tonnes of water and green tea. You need to get any toxins you built up during the day out of your body.

Repeat cycle for as long as you want, I personally do not recommend doing it very long because when you ignore cravings you lose all energy. It does show good results but you really need to be smart with it. It is a good bulking routine but you also lose a shed load of excess body fat.

Here are my gains in general, do not like posting this stuff but yeah, do not want to post topless selfies either but this is from last year, have more gains since then. It works, put yourself through workout hell whenever you decide to workout and you will see changes.If I post pictures of my body from 3 years ago there is a pretty major difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    If you want to be lean and not look like an obese body builder this is the best routine to follow

26. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    @Prince Pathan are you still following this routine? This is where my original question came from. Somebody suggested taking BCAA tablets in the morning before workout to maximize my muscle gains but the only reason I am a bit hesitant is that I don't want to put something in my body which would cause adverse affects later (if I stop working out for a couple of months for instance).

27. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Dont worry it does not do that at all. You are not going to be taking the entire box. It does absolutely nothing to you. Just aides you in your workout. Technically you can be taking BCAA going on runs everday or even a lot of walking. I mean unless you plan to sit at home for 4 months plus not moving from your seat. I just started it again and feel healthier already.

28. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Correct.

BCAA are unlikley to cause any longterm complications particularly if taken in recommended amounts.

29. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    @Bart you are absolutely fine. Why you want to look like a roasted Chicken?

30. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    @Prince Pathan I have bigger muscles than you and I have not seen the gym's door for a decade. :p

31. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    I specifically explained I was naturally skinny like everbody in my entire family and have had to build myself up over the years, not showing off was giving @Bart genuine advice as it worked for me. This was also in May 2015.

You are also much older than me :p you have a headstart. What I posted will only look impressive if I post pictures from 2012 lol

32. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Just pulling your leg dude. At your age I was also doing this stuff.

33. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    I know mara lol. Ma explaination kole che genuinely naray wum. Used to hate myself lol

34. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    I wake up at 6 AM every day. I go running Monday, Wednesday and Fridays, and swimming on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I have just started cycling over weekends as training for a triathlon. I used to do weight training three times a week with free weights mainly but now doing more of resistance training with bands (mainly at work) as get very little time for weights and just cant give up cardio as love it so much.

I used to eb quite chubby and
    Good physique and nothing wrong with demonstrating results of your hardwork. Interesting I used to be very chubby few years ago, weighing a whopping 82kg at one point. I only weigh 62KG now and very lean. Never felt fitter!

35. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    62 KG really? What is your height?

36. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Haha I am 6ft and weigh 82 KG now. Used to be 6ft and weighed 55kg. Was actually extremely anorexic if you look at it from that point of view. The males in my family are all quite thin not in a good way. Its genetics so it feels good to walk around with muscle mass. Have more now, will post more eventually

@Mohsin should be following this routine after I showed him all my results so he can probably tell you if it is effective or not @Bart. Not sure if he takes BCAA or not but gave him good dietary advice for this too as I have a major interest in food micro and nutrition also

37. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    178cm. (5 feet 10.079 inches) - 19.6 BMI

38. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Aren't you under weight?

39. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Nice height MasAllah :) At 5.10, I am the shortest among my brothers, including you :D

40. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    It depends upon your perspective. At 82kg, my BMI was 25.9, at 62kg, my BMI is 19.8. If you look at the range, I am now within 'normal' BMI range i.e. 18.5-25. Agree BMI is the not a perfect measure in all cases specially for taller guys, but even looking at the waist size, I dropped from ~35cm to 28cm and much happier with that.