The weight training/fitness thread

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by chandtara, Sep 12, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    How much were you having?

2. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    3 scoops including 2 BCAA tablets.

But those 3 scoops amount to approx 60g protein. 2 bcaa tablets are relatively harmless too. I think because its a fasting regime

3. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Life is precious. Body is okay, my face is all I need to get far. Going to go natural from now on. Whey protein can suck my nob

4. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    Good luck with the blood test, hope everything goes well. Whey is generally considered safe if there are no underlying issues.

5. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    Yeah I know think I have been seriously overdoing it. Thanks buddy hope so too. I need to come here and criticize Mohammad Amir

6. cricketrulez

cricketrulez Banned

Feb 1, 2010
    I ended with ulcers and serious case of heartburn. I didn't realize/recognize I was allergic to whey. It got to a point where I couldn't eat a slice of pizza. Stopped whey and all went back to normal.

yogurt is a great substitute.Try Greek yogurt if want to avoid the carbs.

7. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    I don't take any protein powdered supplements, just take a balanced diet with a higher protein proportion from usual sources like eggs, poultry, and plant protein. Being a medic, I was always hyper-conscious of the effects of highly concentrated proteins on my kidneys.

My weight training is going steady as usual. I might not be the biggest guy in the gym but I do have some endurance and strength, and being aware of muscle groups, primary functions, insertions etc, I manage to keep my form near perfect.

There must be reasons why relatively fit big guys like power lifters, MMA fighters, professional wrestlers die so young compared to the general population.

8. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    But surely a scoop n half of protein powder after a workout isn't harmful...yes?

9. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    No harm if taken as 1gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, but also depends how effectively your kidneys clear the excessive urea and creatinine. Hydration is very important too.

10. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
  11. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
  12. cricketrulez

cricketrulez Banned

Feb 1, 2010
    Read up a bit on allergies. If your body's immune system is sensitized to something in the protein powder or even the protein powder itself, even half scoop will do plenty of damage you can't afford.

13. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Well i am a noob in this, i want to get rid of my pepsi belly, i have started walking. at most i can do is running. how much should I walk/run everyday?

14. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Eat less and move more and you will be rock n rolling....

15. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    I would give you advice but clearly I over do things lol

16. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    @Fireworks11 @MNA Thank YOU

Yeah, the K and Creatinine still high but back in Liverpool, need to do something about that lol

17. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    @Prince Pathan I need good advice. I have lost quite a lot of weight in the recent past and I was diagnosed with Ulcerative-Colitis (mild) a few months ago. I went to the gym for a while but had to quit that gym as I got annoyed with the music. However, finally, I have found a gym with no music but I have no friends in that gym which means it will be quite a difficult task to maintain going there. However, the coach is a nice man and he will be sufficient for me once I start going.

However, a lot of people including the coach have said that I can't gain considerable weight with Ulcers and I find that to be quite demotivating. I don't eat a lot as I find it useless but I can forcefully try to reach a set amount of calories and I did that when I went to the gym and was successful in reaching a set calories. With the illness, there's a huge amount of risk of flares when you eat bad and once that starts, there's no use of eating. I figured out that this was partly a reason for not being underweight severely as I used to only eat when I felt fatigue and loss of energy.

I am 5'8 and weigh 58KG at this point. 21 years old. I read reddit.com/r/fitness/faq too and found all of the information really good and I made a chart too with specific foods. Also read up on Ulcer forums but my Ulcer is not as bad as others Alhamdulillah so there's a difference, I feel, in what I can achieve compared to others.

More later, please do reply. JazakAllah.

18. Prince Pathan

Aug 31, 2011
    I will send you my workout regime and diet without the use of supplements because you have already had ulcerative colitis and probably a bad idea to take BCAA and Whey. Keep in mind it will mean waking up at very early times and fasting throughout the day
    Fat is cut but muscle should maintain and slowly the stronger you get the more weight you will put on due to pure muscle.

I have not taken supplements for 2 weeks now but instead eating a bit more to make up for it.

You need to include vegetables in your diet dude also oatmeal and wholemeal foods in general.

19. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    just an update, managed to control to my diet to some extent, am around 93kg now, hit a wall for abt 6 months around 97, 98 kg then started losing again about 2 months ago, aim is still 85kg.

reducing the belly is good, waist down from 40 inches to just a smidge over 36 inches, but makes the love handles and man t*ts more prominent, which is shitty, since xl clothes look too loose, and large seems a bit too tight.

biggest change is ive reduced processed sugar to a minimum, havnt had a biscuit or a choc bar for 2 months, havnt had more than a very small portion of chips for the past 3 or 4 weeks.

can tell my belly and appetite are far less than before, and my energy levels, and general well being is a bit better.

20. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    @ElRaja for your height, recommented weight is 70-75kg.

I am also 5'10-5'11. Last yr I was weighing in at 74kg. Due to health issues, I have cut out a lot of junk food (chocs, crisps, biscuits etc). I do regular excercise & light weights. I now weigh around 68kg give or take. People do tell me that I look too weak of late, but I actually feel better in myself. I wake up hungry..whereas previously I was always bloated & hardly had a appetitie but I was still eating all the bad stuff. This is due me eating in moderation & self control.

21. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    that would be too low imo, people have diff body types, i am fairly broadly built, (i cant get shirts of the rack cos the sizes for me are too tight around my neck) i think my ideal weight would be closer to 80 kg, but have to chunk up the goals into easier to attain pieces, 90 kg is the first aim, then 85, then wherever i think i feel comfortable.

one of my mates cut down to 80 kg and hes an inch or so taller than me and looks seriously ripped, he does some weights, but my immediate aim ain't rippling abs and super definition, just getting healthier.

22. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    at 89.5kg now, 36 trousers well comfortable, wearing 16.5 slim shirts which are a bit tight but not too bad.

also managed to get into some hillfiger jeans i got as a gift 2 years ago which were way too tight for me, but i kept them as something to aim towards.

next aim is 85 kg, lets see how this goes.

still sticking to no biscuits, chocolates, etc, been nearly 4 months now, now have minimised chips, etc to maybe two or three times a month, been trying, but failing to restrict diet soft drink consumption, just cant find an alternative at the moment.

have some wierd fat distribution which is a pain, my legs are toned like an athlete, literally no fat on the lower half of my body but still have man t*ts and belly fat which is annoying. guess only option is to keep going till i have burnt off all the fat.

23. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Why are you restricting diet soft drinks?

24. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    have heard they aint good for your kidneys, also aint good for teeth, and generally they ain't been around with consistent recipes for long enough for anyone to know why the exact long term health effects are.

i just go by the principle the less synthetic chemicals the better, i mean humans have been eating and drinking certain things for tens of thousands of years, habitual weaknesses notwithstanding its not that hard to eat healthy if u willing to pay.

bread and rotis are too hard to give up tho.... :/

25. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    I am four weeks into a non-meat/poultry diet...

26. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    I guess there may be other side effects but no conclusive evidence. From a purely weight loss pov though there are no issues with them. In fact I have found they make me full faster.

Sounds like you are taking things slowly which is good but I'd recommend doing some resistance training to prevent loss of muscle. A few years ago I lost a couple of stone and looked skinny with a shirt on but underneath body composition was ruined as I had twig arms and a big belly. Will take a lot of time to change body composition.

If you do have the time I'd really recommend hitting a gym or even a body weight routine at home!

Also Yeah bread is impossible to give up lol its like the only thing you can have for breakfast and lunch when you are on the go.

Good luck with the whole fitness thing bro hope it goes well!

27. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Well done man!

Bread isnt that tough to give up tbh...i (unintentionally) gave up bread during Ramadan and then just continued to stay away from it. Have probably had literally 6 slices of bread since the start of Ramadan and now. You feel a lot better, bread is so bad for you, it amazing.

28. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    ive put in a bit of resistance training at home, so lunges and squats, curls, etc with not very heavy weights, but enough to be able to tell my legs at least a tad stronger than before, i can actually see some muscles jutting out my legs which is nice, but i have bambi legs anyway so any little work makes them look better.

totally agree with you on the weight loss point, diet drinks work, there's no doubt about it, but id rather not be drinking them as much as i am.

plan on hitting the gym too soon.

29. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    I havent had any red meat since march and no chicken since ramadhan which is good few months. It was hard to resist first but now i dislike any meat dish.. in fact i dont even like the sight of it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

30. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Started gym more than a month ago.. used to be quite active and run in park but felt my upper body is quite weak (power wise) and needed to improve on that.

Anways apart from physical benefits, gym/work out improves you drastically mentally as well.. you might feel tired physically but mentally very good. Also keep you away from wasting your time on nonsensical things lol.

31. amirfanforlife

amirfanforlife Smooth Operator

Apr 19, 2012
    Agreed, I miss going to the gym... can’t wait to start going back again. Leaves you feeling fresh after a good session.

32. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    update time guys, have eased in a bit of sugar and chips back into my diet, so have like a small choc after dinner every now and again, or a handful of chips once a week.

so long story short, or fat story slim should i say.... snort, lol, am at 85.6 kg now, had to throw out nearly all my old clothes cos they didnt fit anymore, am wearing some 34 inch slim jeans and am on the right track i guess.

down side, my fat loss is super uneven, i dont even have pinchable fat on my legs, but i still have a belly, and the man tits altho smaller are still present unfort.... the weight that has come off recently seems to have been a bit off the love handles and a bit off my upper back.

i think @s_h_a_f was on to something, will pbly have to lose another 10 kg or so. havnt managed to cut out the diet drinks altho dont drink them as often as before.

so tl:dr have lost more than 21kg now, waist down from 40inch to 35inch, fitness imrpoved. downside, still a long way to go.

33. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    You going vegan ?

34. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Mid 80s is also my target. I lost around 5 kilos in two weeks. Turns out walking 3 hours a day and 2 meals did it for me. But its not healthy skipping meals

35. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    I also have two meals. You can make up for third meal by having a healthy snack, i.e, fruit.

36. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    Tbh, diet drinks are just a fad. They still contain artificial sugar (aspartame) which is probably worse.

37. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Best is to have 5 meals but few bites insteaf of having 2 big meals.

38. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    thats huge, i aim to lose abt 1 to 2 kg a month, and been on it for 18 odd months now, with a 2, 3 month lapse in between.

39. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    That’s the healthy way what you’re doing. What I’m doing could come back to haunt me in future

40. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    update time, so ive been doing this nearly 2 years now, well a few months still to go i guess..

currently at abt 80kg, thrown out about three or four hundred quids worth of clothes last month. can just abt get into slim fit medium shirts, and 32 inch trousers now. its nice when people start noticing too now.

the last few kg has made a huge difference on my face with very little baby chubb remaining, altho still not skinny by any means. next aim is 75kg, and need to start bulding some muscle.

in terms of general fitness ive gone from getting out of breath running up a flight of stairs to doing the 200 steps at covent garden in one run, could barely stand at the end and was shaking like a geriatric but for me its a big deal. :)

tl:dr -> since may 2016 have gone from 107kg, 18 inch regular fit shirts and a 40 inch waist to 80kg, 16 inch slim fits and a 33 inch waist.