The weight training/fitness thread

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by chandtara, Sep 12, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
  2. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    You don't have to be eating grilled food all the time.

3. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    16 :D

4. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    I'm not going to steam it either thats too bland - you can't BBQ everyday, if you have any other suggestions I'd happily try them.... I can't get out of eating saalan lol... whats your diet like?

5. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    I eat anything and everything, just make sure it fits my macros and caloric intake.

6. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    Depends on what your goal is.

Try cooking vegetable (Broccoli, spinach etc) with boneless breast meat in olive oil.

7. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    Salans and Biryanis full of oil ain't too healthy. :p

8. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    good shout with cooking in olive oil - ghee just has that special taste lol

I dont mind vegetables either so thats okay.

Boiled rice - heard a rumour that the starch is washed out so it's not as fattening, true? I'm looking to build muscle but I would ideally like to minimise fat gain whilst I do this.

9. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    Not so sure but i don't think so.

Reduce the carbs if you want to keep the fat to minimum.

10. Express Pace

May 11, 2012
    You only live once! Everything in moderation is fine.

11. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Stan1 white meat isnt that fattening

Try Fish & Chicken but obvious with minimum use of oil & spice lol

12. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    But we desi's do nothing in moderation.

13. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    yaar the white meat is fine, it's the masalay, oil/ghee and roti that goes with it that does the damage lol Passionate Pakistani

Saj001 hmm, I'll concentrate a bit more on getting my macros right... what would be the right amount for my goals? 40/30/30?.... lmao I don't know what that means just made it up

14. Express Pace

May 11, 2012
    True, that is why our community is suffering from diabetes epidemic. They say be the change you want to see in the world. So we can start by living healthier lifestyles ourselves.

15. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    You are confusing me now.

What are your goals? Get big and lose fat?

16. Express Pace

May 11, 2012

That just means 40% of cals coming from protein, 30% from carbs, 30% from fat.

17. Stan1

Stan1 Talented

Sep 8, 2011
    they don't need to add up to a 100% do they? If they don't that kind of makes sense right?.... my goals are muscle gain. But because I know I will need to bulk, and be in a calorie surplus, I ideally want to minimise the fat gain element of gaining weight, and want as much of the additional weight as possible to be muscle.

18. Express Pace

May 11, 2012
    It should add up to 100%. Basically if you aiming for 2000 calories, 800 should come from protein, 600 from carbs, 600 from fat if you following 40-30-30 ratio. Personally I just keep it simple, aim for 1gram protein per 1lb bodyweight, and eat whatever I like to fill the rest of my desired caloric intake.

19. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    The fat will still be there, unless the amount of situps, crunches you are doing is creating a calorie deficit......which is unlikely. There are more efficient ways to burn up calories.

20. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Abs are made in the kitchen...control your diet (stay in a caloric defecit) and you'll get your abs...everybody has those rectus abdominus muscles, the visibility of it depends on the amount of fat covering it. Burn that and voila!Abs!

Sit ups/crunches aint going to do squat. It might tone your abs, but that too will only show up once that layer of fat is shed!

There's no such thing as spot reduction..yet!

21. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Flat bench Barbell press
    Dumbell bench press - 3 sets
    Bench Press - 3 sets
    Inclined chest press - 3 sets
    Flys - 3 sets if possible

22. TM Riddle

TM Riddle Smooth Operator

Feb 2, 2013
    and the time interval between these?

23. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    do a set, take a min or so break then do another set.

don't have too long breaks in the gym.

exhaust your musles and rip them like mad

24. TM Riddle

TM Riddle Smooth Operator

Feb 2, 2013
    light weight or heavy weight ? heavy I suppose..can I do more reps with light?

25. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    if you want to bulk.. do heavy weights and shorter reps

if you want to tone/slim - do more reps with reasonable weights

26. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    WaQaReD! at your peak was the main food you were eating and how much of it? Talk me through your diet.

27. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    my diet is pretty much the same and pretty bland
    breakfast - scrambled eggs and toast(wholemeal bread)
    then at work i take 3 tubs of chicken breast to eat through the day with a piece of fruit
    after work i might have some oats or nuts another piece of fruit such as a banana
    then after training I will have another protein based meal such as a salmon or tuna(with cheese) omelette
    I have to admit on chewing gum or other better tasting forms of nuts has kept me sane whilst dieting, sugar free jelly was good too - I also will use Sundays as a day off from dieting, once I'm down to a low bodyfat I will take the weekend off from dieting.

I'm still weight training and still Boxing and that diet has served me well - I tend to think Pakistani's react to carbs worse than other people so I keep mine pretty low

28. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Thanks for sharing.

What was/is your routine in the gym? How often do you go? Did you break your sessions down to certain parts of the body?

29. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    You think right.

30. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    My routine changes - currently I am doing a full body workout 3 times a week. I am Boxing once a week and also I will try to fit in another light workout/Boxing at home. Other times i will do a split with bodyparts.

If I am dieting then it is 4 times per week with weights, once boxing and then another workout either a run or boxing at home (my son is almost 12 and he also Boxes so I batter him lol)

31. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    chandtara What are you trying to do? Bulking or cutting down?

32. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    I want to bulk but lose a bit of fat first. Iv been going 3/4 times a week for the last month doing cardio and lightweights to ease back into it after almost 6 years off the scene.
    Are these protein/creatine shakes any good? Iv always stuck to my milk lol!

33. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    At the moment i am doing split body parts. What the best combination? For example i did chest and shoulders yesterday, thinking of doing back and legs today and then arms on thursday

34. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    I would train back and legs on separate days if you are doing a split. They are both the largest muscles in the body so would be better served training separately with a smaller bodypart.
    Wouldnt like to say there is a best combination, push/pull or upper/lower body splits are quite popular though

35. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Whats your take on these protien/creatine shakes? Are they any good? Any side effects?

36. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    currently dont use either, have used protein shakes pretty regularly in the past
    not a huge fan of creatine and I would probably recommend to save that money and spend it on better quality food but theres enough scientific data to suggest it has its benefits.

Getting in a good amount of protein is essential so if you are struggling to do that then a protein shake is very useful. Personally I would rather pay £40 for 10kg chicken breast lol

37. Express Pace

May 11, 2012
    Weight training is a tough game. Requires a lot of dedication.

38. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    True that . I don't lift but I wanna get started but it's hard to fit in around college . One thing I have noticed is though 90% of the guys that do any training their ego grows depending on how big they get .

39. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
  40. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
    Creatine is good for strength but it will make you bulky (Water weight). I think you are better off without it for now.