The weight training/fitness thread

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by chandtara, Sep 12, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    With them sticking vat on protein powder, i have to agree with waqared that buying chicken breast is a viable option.
    People forget that protien powders are for convenience and not a replacement for whole food protien. Its there just to supplement your protein intake.
    Eggs for example, cheap as chips and probably have a better nutritional content and bioavailability than some powders.

2. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    It seems everytime i come out of the gym this is how i feel.

3. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    How many of you wear tank tops when going to the gym lol ?

4. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    This aint Jersey Shore. PS that aint really contributing anything to the thread either. What exactly do you do for a hobby?

5. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    lol easy tiger
    I was just asking cos its quite poplar around here . What do i do for a hobby ? watch sports ,play sports and hang with friends .

6. Saul Goodman

Jun 12, 2011
    Good for you. Your comments really dont add much to the discussion.

7. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    I know but it was a genuine question i had on my mind .

8. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    Thats crazy . The fastest i have ever run 3 miles or 5k was about 32 minutes and that was after weeks of running 5k every day . I lost quite a bit of weight this year but i still haven't reached my target .

9. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    I don't wear tank tops. I wear t-shirts.

10. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    How much of getting big comes down to genetics ? I have two close friends who go to gym together and have been going for 6 months regularly (4 times a week ) . One has gotten a lot bigger then the other their diet isn't much different either .

11. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Its called "genetic potential". Thou I think 6 months is not long enough to actually judge a person based on their genetic potential.

12. Express Pace

May 11, 2012

Maybe one of them has a faster metabolism and needs to eat more.

13. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    Thanks
    btw why are you offline ?

14. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    apparently tapatalk wont show me online if I dont have my setting set to online from the browser.

edit: another thing to note is what @express said above.

15. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    I am proper interested in this but way too lazy . I got decent cardio machines but not enough equipment for weight training . The only thing stopping me joining the gym is i think i would be too embarrassed to workout at the gym with people watching .

16. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    thing is once u start and you see a slight gain, you really get serious about it..and it becomes an addiction to a point. Especially after sometime when your pumping some iron you feel the blood rushing into yoru muscles, and they feel tight..that's the type of feelings you aim for when youre working out.

But its really important to start off with someone who can help you our with proper guidance, because there are wayyyyy too many myths out there. Some stuff work for some and doesnt work for others. So its like a trial and error thing.

17. Express Pace

May 11, 2012

No one will be watching you. Not America's top model.

18. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    Yeah i heard that from a lot of people . My uncle was only 16 when he started to lift and he trained for 10 years straight because it was so addictive .He saw it as a stress reliever and his way of getting back at people .

19. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    Lol i know but i am so used to doing stuff on my own with no one around to pass judgement .Honestly i don't care what others think but a part of me does . If that makes sense .

20. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    lol I dont know about the second part..but when youre working out it definitely takes your mind off the things. Plus, your work out is more effective if your concentrating on the muscle youre working out on. Sounds strange, but it really works!

21. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    Neither am i but he got up to a lot crap when he was younger and he hanged around with the wrong bunch .Anyway don't want to go off topic .

22. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    its all good. to each their own..not gonna judge bro.

23. Express Pace

May 11, 2012

I doubt anyone will be passing judgement bro. They are too busy doing their own thing. If you don't want to go a gym and have some space at home, you could work out at home.

24. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    man nobody got time there to sit and judge others. Really, youll see many starters lifting 5 pound dumbells. You have to start from somewhere. You think all those big guys got up one day and started lifting 200 pounds?

25. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Go to gym with friends bro.

26. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    lol true i have all ready got dumbbells and a barbell but they don't provide enough resistance need to buy more weights . Lol you lot do everything in lbs everything here is in KG .

27. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    yeah lol. Lbs, Miles etc.

28. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    They keep asking me to but i am unsure atm .

29. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Go for it.

Its atleast worth a try imo.

30. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    yeah but dont do anything stupid with friends where you start competing whos going to lift the heaviest and all. Correct form while lifting >> lifting heavy weights. It protects u from injuries as well.

31. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    WaQaReD!
    Saul Goodman

Sup guys, I just want to copy and paste my query from PP as you guys seem to know what you are doing.

Sup guys, been getting chunky in the mid section region which doesn't look good coz i've got a skinny build.

Anyways due to time/distance constraints etc I've joined my work gym which is pretty impressive in terms of equipment ( and free).

However due to some H&S type issues they have pretty much removed all free weights apart from dumbells ( not heavy ones).

Anyways simple question, is there any real gains that can be made from machine weights? They get quite a bad rep on the internet but wondering about your guys opinions. I guess i'm looking for increase in chest/shoulder region + arms mainly but will be working out the whole body.

They have pretty much every machine weight possible. These aren't the plate ones but the stack ones.

I guess what I am asking is that are these as big as waste of time as BB forums make out to be?

If not waste of time can you recommend the most effective way to use them?

Note I dont really care about strength gains too much, if cosmetic changes are visible i'll be happy enough.

32. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Firstly, I dont think anybody cares.

Secondly pick a time when you know the gym is going to be very quiet, work out at those times till you are comfortable using the equipment and your confidence increases.

33. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    I am gonna start on the first of next month .

34. CricketFan96

CricketFan96 Smooth Operator

Aug 4, 2012
    Am getting more fat day-by-day, any advice on what to do? I'm going to 2 P.E lessons a week, eating fruit, planning on going in the school gym and walk hell loads. Any advice on how to get fitter?

35. Express Pace

May 11, 2012
    If you want to lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit. So eat less, exercise more or both.

36. Express Pace

May 11, 2012
    Eating fruit isn't going to make you lose weight. Fruit has calories like any other food.

37. bystander

bystander Emerging Player

Feb 18, 2013
  38. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    machines have their place but nothing can replace free weights or the big compound movements like squat, deadlift, bench press and overhead press

something is better than nothing though so if it is all you have to work with then give it a go why not? Do they at least have a smith machine?

cosmetic changes or getting rid of the 'chunky' midsection will come down more to diet and cardio than weight training really

if i had only machine weights to work with I would try intensity techniques and advanced techniques such as drop sets, supersets and giant sets

39. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Thanks bro. They do have a Smith Machine.

What are the main 'free weight' exercises you recommend, if its squats etc I can buy a bar at home to supplement my gym machine work. Will that be more beneficial?

Do things like shoulder press, chest press etc have any of the similar benefits as free weight equivalents?

40. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Thanks bro. They do have a Smith Machine.

What are the main 'free weight' exercises you recommend, if its squats etc I can buy a bar at home to supplement my gym machine work. Will that be more beneficial?

Do things like shoulder press, chest press etc have any of the similar benefits as free weight equivalents?