Thrilling end to what was a dull test match; Changes required ....!!

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Shahzad.Firdous, Oct 18, 2015.

Thrilling end to what was a dull test match; Changes required ....!!

by Shahzad Firdous
Oct 18, 2015 at 6:40 AM
  1. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    alistair-cook-adil-rashid-pakistan-england-s.png

The first test between Pakistan and England ended in a draw after dull 4 days and a tense final day. The match suddenly became interesting as Adil Rasheed came into his own on a 5th day pitch offering some assistance to spinners and with him being a wrist spinner; it offered him more than others. With England having to get 99 runs in the fading light and Pakistan bowlers trying their level best to stop England from getting those runs through mostly spin on a 5th day wicket, it became really interesting before Umpires called off the play 8 overs short as it was getting really dark and it was already around 5 45 -550 local time.

Pakistan themselves were on the receiving end of this new rule a month ago but this time, they were saved by this rule so they might say it’s a fair rule!! It’s fair to say that if fielders cant sight the ball, then the umpires should call of the match and when day had been called off previously at 5 37 then if the match is allowed till 5 48 then umpires have allowed enough time to England to complete the match!

If we analyze this match, Shoaib Malik and Alistair Cook got double hundreds in the match. Whereas, Shoaib Malik’s innings was delightful, Alistair Cook’s on the other end was a story of endurance and batting for long periods in the UAE heat to which Cook and his men are not familiar with. England had come knowing that it will be tough for them like their previous visits to this part of the world. They were helped by the injury to the main player of the whole series – Yasir Shah on which the outcome of the series depended before the match and still he holds the key!!

Memories of 2012 drubbing would still be fresh on some of these player’s minds who were part of the squad - the likes of Cook and Bell who were present last time but most of this squad is young and have never come to this part of the world in past! They came on the back of an Ashes win like last time and in 2005.

But now the situation is even difficult for someone as good as Yasir Shah. England have their confidence sky high after managing a comeback after Pakistan posted 523 in the first innings. Now they would think that they can even play Yasir Shah with ease so all the more difficult for him coming in!!

Pakistan need to make lots of changes to their lineup in the next test in my opinion, particularly their bowling attack. Rahat Ali and Imran Khan looked ineffective on this pitch as it was a totally lifeless pitch for fast bowlers. Imran Khan bowled better than Rahat but still they need a better attack than this. They could help themselves by playing an extra spinner in the next test and they could replace Zulfiqar Baber as he went wicketless for 70 overs and ended up with 1 wkt in 72 overs. That’s just not good enough!! On a pitch supposed to offer something to spinners at least and him being a world class spinner, more was expected of him so they could replace him with Zafar Goher or maybe Bilal Asif but they already have an offspinner in Malik. Yasir Shah would obviously be coming back.

Surprise change!!

Intikhab Alam hinted at a surprise change in the lineup for 2nd test. Let’s see who it is! It maybe Mohammad Amir as far as I am concerned and I think we need him after nearly losing the first test. We need to strengthen this pace attack and in my opinion; we need Mohd Amir for the 2nd test.

If I was in their place, I would make 4 changes. Yasir Shah and Azhar Ali coming back in their places in place of Shan Masood and Rahat Ali, Mohammad Amir in place of Imran Khan and Zafar Goher in place of Zulfiqar Baber.

To make it clear, here is the lineup I would select for the 2nd test after what has transpired in the first test:

Hafeez, Shoaib Malik, Azhar Ali, Younus Khan, Misbah ©, Asad Shafiq, Sarfraz, Amir, Wahab Riaz, Yasir Shah, Zafar Goher.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
The writer is a lawyer by profession and qualification and freelance journalist as well and a regular contributor with articles and comments at Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments