1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Time for Babar to replace Root in the Fab Four?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Munna, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Why is Root still considered one of the best of the modern generation?

Below are the Test batting stats since 1st Jan 2019 and Root's numbers are bang average for a high caliber batsman. It's not even hidden anymore that Root has been struggling ever since he took up the England's captaincy from Cook. That 226 runs innings in Hamilton gave him some relief otherwise he was on the brink of falling out of favor. It's actually Ben Stokes who has been the best English batsman since the start of 2019 and his stats are much better than any other in every category.

On the other hand, we have Babar who has been in supreme touch in the same time period (though less no. of matches played). And I think its this upcoming series between England and Pakistan which might decide if Babar can finally be included among the Fab Four/Five. We know he's already considered a fine LOI batsman and it was the test format where he struggled a great deal during his initial matches but now... he looks quite settled in this format too.

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 11.45.26 AM.png

2. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    I personally have never seen Root as being in the 'top tier' alongside Kohli, Smith and Williamson. Ive always seen him as second tier (with Babar later joining him).

He very much remains second tier, as does Babar. The latter is well on his way to joining the fab 3 but he isnt quite there yet (this series will defo help in catapulting him up there if he performs as we hope he will)...

3. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Yes Babar needs to cash in this series and really make his mark.

4. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Broad and Anderson could make things happen in quick time when they play in England.

Let’s hope, Barber has enough support from the other hand before he could play a long and effective test innings.

5. thair9999

thair9999 Emerging Player

Oct 17, 2010
    Too early for Baber to be considered one of the best of the modern generation. He needs to play some more before comparison.

6. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    So nervous about this series. It's going to be tough for Babar and he hasn't had his usual form coming into it but if he can salvage runs he will overtake Root unless Root also has a party which there is a high chance he will. Looked amazing when he made 254 at Old Trafford in 2016. ATM Root better because he has more matches under his belt.

7. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    How many away hundreds have Root and Babar scored in the last couple of years? I think that should decide who among them deserves to be in the fab four.

8. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Babar has an extremely lovely style of playing cover and straight drives, and I may be wrong but for some reason I feel that he is somewhat limited of a batsman.

He has to learn a lot and expand his skill set. He needs a lot of variety to play many different kind of strokes, and most importantly, learn how to improvise?

His total focus for now seems to wait for his favorite line and length ball and play extremely lovely looking strokes in covers and straight behind the bowler’s back.

He will need to learn how to consistently score on very good and difficult balls.

Playing Anderson’s outswinger will be an interesting contest.

9. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cornered Tiger

Oct 5, 2014
    I would say the problem is the number of matches and time. There are two major reasons behind it that i wont concur to such a replacement so easily.

First that root has played nearly four times the number of test matches than babar. We can say that babar is part of Pakistan team thus wont get to play as much but the fact is that Root has 93 matches in comparison to babar's 26. No matter what those 93 are an experience and are a performance that have solidified some stake to the claim. This disparity means that Babar will have to play alot more with alot more consistency before we talk about removing and adding him to the FAB 4. This portion cannot be ignored so easily.

Secondly while i have supported babar azam since his amazing score in the final against India in the U-19s when all were falling like ducks and him and unmukt chand, i believe, stood up for their teams and played extremely gritty knocks that showcased them class apart however i would still give him more time due to the simple fact that we have a very high rate of batsmen fizzing out. Some very fine batsmen were simply not able to make do with their skill and talent. We need to give him more time to solidify his standing and gain the huge experience necessary where his admission into the Fab 4 will be smooth and automatic.

I see a potential in him to become something great and in this era of batting, he has a good opportunity to stake the claim for the best batsmen we ever produced and for that he needs consistency and hard work. Two of our legends aka Inzamam and Yousaf both of them did not live upto their skill and yousaf used to throw his wicket away at the start despite being heralded as one of the best prospects we ever produced, when he started and even after that amazing year of form, he wasted what he was and what he could have become. Lets give him time. He is 25 and with more matches and more consistency and stability, his position will be made himself.

This series will be a very good test

10. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Root doesn't belong in the Fab 4 anymore, while Babar has to average above 50 in Tests in order to be considered in the Fab category.

11. TalhaSyed

TalhaSyed Youngsta Beauty

Mar 12, 2018
    Babar is on the right path Alhumdullilah but needs more time

Babar has played 138 games, whilst Root, Smith, Kohli, and Williamson have played 272, 237, 416, and 291 matches respectively.

You also look at longevity and Babar has played for 5 years whilst Root, Smith, Kohli, and Williamson have played for 8, 10, 12, and 10 years respectively.

InshAllah if Babar keeps going and performing across all 3 formats for another 3-4 years until he passes the 200 matches mark then he can be considered amongst the modern greats inshAllah. For now he just needs to keep his head down and keep doing what he is doing inshAllah.

12. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    This series will show if he can be spoken of in the same category...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

13. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    He plays all conventional strokes. Don't know what you have been watching?

He can play flick, Pull, late Cut, Cut, Backfoot punch, straight drive, midwicket drive, square drive, cover drive.

He can play almost any shot. Just because he doesn't play unconventional shots doesn't mean he's limited. It means he is sensible.

14. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    In my opinion, he has room of improvement in two main areas - first, how to improvise and take cheeky singles and doubles to frustrate the bowler and fielders.

Both Kohli and Miandad come to mind. Sharp and quick.

Second, he plays those strokes usually when the ball deserves it. And really it’s not a bad skill - many in Pak can’t even do that. They make a mockery out of a halwa ball.

What Babar needs to go to the next level is score runs on difficult and good balls that are hard to hit.

15. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    I don't agree with improvisation. Because you might as well work in your strong game that'll make you better as opposed to wasting time on improvising. Singles and doubles can come. I'm sure he is aware of this. Not many great batsman improvise. It's just a modern day trend and is only has a worth in the last 10 overs in a ODI or a T20 match. Where as conventional batting is required for large periods of ODIs and Tests also Babar with his conventional style is not scoring runs at a extremely slow pace. With experience he will get even better.

If you ask me Babar must improve on making really big Test hundreds or even ODI hundreds and must also learn to stop getting out in a series of dismissals. For example it's very unrare for Babar to get out in consecutive innings the same way however he has a series so in one batch it will contain Bowled, LBW, out of a half pitch from a spinner, holed out in the deep, caught behind, caught in slips, run out. And then start the series again. And again. So he must work more on not getting out in a silly manner and also sure up his defensive play so Bowled, LBW and Caught behind are extremely rare. It's rare to get him out that way already but he needs to work even harder.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  16. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Nasser Hussain says it

17. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
  18. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Instered in @Shahzad.Firdous analysis.

Firdous seems a guy with a bowling mentality need his opinion on batting especially babar azam.

19. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    As if you already don't know?
    Of course he doesn't believe in these meager Fab 4's or Fab 5's.
    His emaan and faith is in Fab 1. And there is nothing before or after it. And that's Misbah of course.

20. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Fab 1 right now is Babar Azam... Babar Azam has a cool mind and mentality similar to Mohd Yousuf whereas Haider Ali is aggressive like Indian batsmen Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli. I prefer watching these Pakistani middle order batsmen more the likes of Inzi, Yousuf, Younus and Misbah... reason is they are so calm under pressure... T20 World Cup 2007 mein Misbah ke saath bad luck hogayee thi otherwise it was the innings of the decade for me... Misbah was so calm under pressure and calculated as well.. his mind was working like a computer... 2011 World Cup Semi Final mein bhi i think he played a very good innings.. people criticize him for that innings but that pitch infact was turning square even for part timers like Yuvraj and it was difficult chasing under lights... it was infact a very good innings.. we did not lose cus of Misbah.. we lost cus we did not play Shoaib Akhtar in that match... so in my opinion Fab 1 is Babar Azam right now cus he is so cool and never loses his temper and is cool as cucumber under pressure as compared to Kohli or Rohit... Being aggressive is good but one who can bat under pressure is the real batsman for me...

21. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Woh pitch itni mushkil thi ke Sachin jaise expert batsman ne bhi 6 chances per 85 runs banaye the... aur play and miss itna kar raha tha.. itna lamba turn ho raha tha even part timers ka like Yuvraj aur 2nd batting mein to pitch aur buri hogayee thi...

22. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    Root didn’t look like he would make it into the Fab 400 today.

23. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Babar gives of lalu vibes. So good. He should have made a century in this match but he isn't clinical enough to get it. He needs to wake up and make runs. He needs to concentrate on that 4th stump line and bouncers. England have a plan. Remember Smith. He was so patient and good with dealing with that line from England. Kohli did nice as well. Babar learn. Otherwise England will eat him up because now England have a strategy.

24. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Very well put.

He doesn’t seem to understand the concept of being street smart - someone who is shrewd, sharp, quick, proactive and a master of playing mind games with the bowler. He can’t improvise either.

I don’t think he has any strategy and plan to play according to the bowlers, venue and conditions.

He simply waits for the ball in his zone and play a pleasing to the eye stroke. That’s all his focus is.

25. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    He needs to play at only those deliveries that are within his body range... he needs to avoid everything outside offstump. Just bowl into my body and I will score runs. Anything here or there i have nothing doing. This is England. This is not Asia.

26. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Who even cares? Fab 3, fab 4, fab 10. What difference does it make?

Babar has been quietly going about his business, let him continue. All this talk and essentially he failed in this test.

At the end of the day, we don’t need validation about his ability. If he does well it’s good, if the rest of the world don’t want to recognise it, who cares ?

27. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    Let us down when it mattered. Some players have good stats, others have good stats and are clutch.