Tribute to the Maddest of All Maxes; Shahid Afridi retires from international cricket

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by ASLI-PATHAN, Feb 21, 2017.

Tribute to the Maddest of All Maxes; Shahid Afridi retires from international cricket

by Nasir Jamal
Feb 21, 2017 at 10:58 AM
  1. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    227919.jpg

It all started in the autumn of 1996 when Pakistani team went to participate in a quadrangular tournament in Kenya. Mushtaq Ahmed the Pakistani leggie got injured and Pakistan was forced to call a rookie leg spinner who was on duty with Pakistan under 19 in West Indies at that time. His debut match was against Kenya in which he did not bat but bowled 10 wicketless economical overs. It was a very quiet debut for a player who will be later known as the maddest of all mad maxes. Pakistan’s next match was against Sri Lanka who had won the World Cup barely six months ago. Pakistan was in need of a big win and for that they needed a big total on board while batting first.

Pakistan lost its opener Saleem Elahi early in the innings and Promoted Shahid Afridi the rookie leg spinner to bat at No. 3 as a pinch hitter. They took this decision because they saw him hit the Cricket ball very hard in the nets. Little they know at that time that this will change the entire outlook of Pakistani team for the future. Shahid came in and hit the second ball he faced for a six. The rest is history as they say. This was the start of his whirlwind career which would eventually last two decades.

[​IMG]

These two decades are like a roller coaster ride for Pakistani Cricket fans and Afridi has been the biggest reason for this. We had seen the highs & lows of Pakistani Cricket during this time. The highs of playing WC 1999 final, winning WT20 2009 when no one gave us a chance, winning triangular series down under, winning series against arch rivals India on their home soil. And the lows of losing to Bangladesh, not making to the Semi Finals of ICC tournaments since 2011, spot fixing saga, oath gate saga, losing matches to arch rivals India in ICC World cups etc. Afridi was part of this all, seen it all.

129384.2.jpg

Afridi epitomises the best and worst of our country, its hope and audacity, its spirit of fun, its maddening caprice. Listen to the roar that greets him when he walks to the crease. Afridi can win you a game, or get out first ball to a scandalous shot. The only guarantee is that you will find out in a hurry. He had given us much joy & despair in equal numbers during these two decades. Sometimes made you so mad whenever he played his customary innings of 0 (1) that you wanted to pull out all your hair. But sometimes gave you such joy & satisfaction that you would forget all his past mistakes and accept him as he is.

He is the true description of Pakistani Cricket team of the 90’s. One word which was rightly associated with Pakistani team was unpredictable and that exactly is what Afridi is. Who can forget the joys of watching him putting the Indian bowlers to sword at Kanpur or that two Sixes of Ashwin in the Asia Cup or getting Pakistan over the line in the final of WT20 2009.

There have been plenty of mad moments and crazy antics that have been a part of Afridi’s international career such as roughing up a pitch with his spikes, biting the ball, several international retirements and comebacks, punching a fan, and speaking openly about issues with the board and management. Yet these are not the reasons why Afridi will be remembered by the world.

For the cricket loving nation of Pakistan, Shahid Afridi is a hero. He is a proven match winner who single handedly won matches for Pakistan with the bat, with the ball, and even through his fielding. His 32 man-of-the-match awards in ODIs, the highest ever among all Pakistan cricketers and third highest in the world, is a testament to Afridi’s match winning ability. His 11 man-of-the-match awards in T20Is is the highest number of awards in the history of the T20Is format.

Afridi will be remembered as Pakistan’s most valuable ODI player and a giant of the T20 game. He captained an average team to the semifinal of the World Cup in 2011 where he was the joint leading wicket taker of the tournament; he was the player of the tournament of the World T20 in 2007 where Pakistan ended as runners up; he was the main architect of Pakistan’s victorious World T20 campaign in 2009 where he was the man-of-the-match in both the semifinal and final.

[​IMG]

Yes you can argue that he is not an astute Captain. He has his fair share of short comings in this aspect but then show me a man without any short comings. No one is perfect. Sport is meant to provide entertainment to its viewers and Shahid Afridi provided exactly that to all the Cricket lovers all around the World. He was an entertainer the likes of which Cricket will never see again. As written in his Cricinfo profile “ Of Shahid Afridi it can safely be said that cricket never has and never will see another like him. To say he is an allrounder is to say Albert Einstein was a scientist; it tells a criminally bare story.” All the Pakistani fans irrespective of their love or hate for Afridi had said this sometimes in their life. “Koi baat nahin Afridi abhi hai, Afridi kuch bhi kar sakta hai”. Means no problem Afridi is still there he can do anything. We are so used to watching him for the past 20 years that we had lost his value. The true value of this mad max will be known once he is no more in the team.

I thank him from the core of my heart for the entertainment & joys he provided us and wish him good luck for his future.

Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
      Nicely written, @ASLI-PATHAN
      Have criticised him often, but there is no doubt that he was a superstar. WT20 2009 was the best I've seen him bat.

2. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
      @ASLI-PATHAN Fantastic article. End of an era.

476 international sixes. Worldwide aura and recognition. King of entertainment who produced many memorable moments. The guy invented free hits before ICC lol.

Will always remember 2009 final at lords, was a great day to experience live at the ground. Big man big occasion big crowd and he delivered. Lived life to the full.

3. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Cricistani

Jun 10, 2011
      Who cares about your criticism when you think bhatti and anwar are his replacements lol.

And lol at 2009 wc was the best.. no wonder you shouldnt be taken serious.

Check 99 tour of india, his second test and first away test, scored 140 odd.. i still think that is one of the finest overseas knock by a Pakistani batsman

And then in Kanpur in 2005,absolute carnage. If you havent seen those innings then you dont even know Afridi

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      I think he is extremely blessed by God because if you look at his overall stats they are just okish but God has been too kind to him which is why he has such a big fan base. I think he is probably the biggest superstar Pakistan has produced after Imran Khan.

5. zkhan427

zkhan427 Cricistani

Oct 2, 2012
      I can see why someone would see that as the most memorable/best/biggest afridi moment. He gave us many to remember but that semi final and final really were special knocks from him. Well constructed and responsible innings.

6. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      I know but at the end of the day they were short innings not proper long innings to show his real talent.

7. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
      That Six off Tait straight over his head.

8. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
      Also, Lee in Australia off the front foot.

9. Express Pace

Express Pace Cricistani

May 11, 2012

My favourite Afridi innings.

Love him or hate him, he is a superstar.

Whenever Afridi comes out to bat, you always think the team is in with a chance, even now.

10. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
      ^ the look on Indian faces. Priceless.

Afridi did in Kanpur what Akhtar did in Kolkata. pin drop silence.

11. Ahson8

Ahson8 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
      I said 2009 is the best I HAVE watched him bat, and that's because I started following cricket 2007 onwards and properly watching 2009 onwards.

And stop putting words in my mouth man, I've always said Anwar is mediocre.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    12. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Cricistani

Aug 31, 2011
      AP using some sexy words in this article. You write well and here I thought you were just another uncle :p like Munna

13. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
      I wrote this almost a year ago. :p

14. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Cricistani

Jul 24, 2012
      Most of us who are in our 20s and 30s when asked about our favourite cricketing memories will mention Afridi.

Thanks for the good times Shahid!

15. Bilal123

Bilal123 Cricistani

Dec 11, 2010
      In an era when there was Wasim, Waqar, Inzi, Razzaq, Shoaib Akhtar and Yousuf. This man would come out on top in terms of star quality.

He attracted so many crowds by himself. It was always interesting to see how people would just stop and watch games just for his batting then switch TV off or leave ground when he's gone.
      Can't think of any other player in my time who had this effect.

16. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cricistani

May 29, 2010
      I watched cricket because of him only!
      @SwingNSeam

17. London_Lahori

London_Lahori Cricistani

Feb 18, 2014
      Been watching his videos on YouTube before I go to sleep last couple of days.

I'll miss him, really feels like the end of an era and a large chunk of my childhood.

18. London_Lahori

London_Lahori Cricistani

Feb 18, 2014
      One of my favourite test matches of all time, watched every ball.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    19. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
      Cracking innings. The shot at 5.15, into the golf course lol. One of the biggest ever sixes. Murderous hitting.

20. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
      One of my favourite games, CT v India. Quick innings in a tight chase to change the game. Listen to the noise

21. zkhan427

zkhan427 Cricistani

Oct 2, 2012
      First cricket series I followed. Great memories

22. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
      one of my all time favourite too!

23. Mohsin

Mohsin Cricistani

Feb 21, 2010
      God where does the time fly...i was in high school, my friends (indian) and i would take the p1ss out of each other whenever our respective teams were playing well. Everything in life felt insignificant whenever Pakistan played.

Remember waking up for that final day, Pakistan still on the back foot with a win (a needed win to draw the series, looking unlikely)...but then...

I remember, whilst were were searching for the final 2 wickets and time fast running out for us to get them, my friend called to see if i was free to go out and me telling him to **** off and hanging up the phone, such was the tension lol (after we won i explained and apologised of course).

24. Mohsin

Mohsin Cricistani

Feb 21, 2010
      I remember this match, again back in high school. Sunday, day game...after a good bowling prformance, we (as usual) tottered with the bat, 30odd for 3...my mum and i went to my late uncles house where i continued watching the match there. Afridi was SMASHING them, leading us to victory...then my mum came into the room with my aunty to say she was going home and whether i wanted to come or watch the rest of the match (though everyone knew the answer to that lol)...literally the next ball Afridi got out. My uncle and i were like to me mum and aunty 'look what youve done, he's out now' as if it was their fault lmao

25. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    26. Express Pace

Express Pace Cricistani

May 11, 2012
      Afridi has some serious natural power.

27. London_Lahori

London_Lahori Cricistani

Feb 18, 2014
      Haha @Mohsin yeah school and 6th form days for me those series from 2004-2006 were.

Used to be hyped and have our very own Pakistan v India afterwards.

28. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
      In New Zealand, 2011. Brutal power.

4 years later, 2015.

29. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      I was a huge fan between 2004 and 2007, he was arguably the best ODI player for Pakistan in that period. Woolmer brought the best out of him.

I remember putting together an Afridi vs Saqlain bowling stats thread in around 2003 where people were laughing at me. I was contending that if Afridi gets to bowl 10 overs every game then he could hold his place on his bowling alone. I even repeatedly wrote to Woolmer with Afridis bowling stats till Woolmer responded and said that the stats were interesting and they were looking at them.

Not long after that Afridi suddenly started bowling his full quota, before then he had mainly been used for a few overs per game and was mainly seen as a batsman who turned his arm over. I'm not saying it was entirely because of me but I like to think I contributed. Woolmer was great like that, he would listen to the fans and take their ideas seriously if the numbers added up, he loved his numbers.

I still enjoy watching Afridi smashing it out of the park today. His 50 for Zalmi the other day brought back great memories.

I hope he has a great international retirement but continues to play for domestic leagues.

30. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Cricistani

Aug 31, 2011

Think this is the most fanboyism I will do today, posting one of my old videos in an Afridi thread

31. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      I remember one of your post on pp when you were an afridite, about how many world records he holds.. or something like that.

32. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
      Ideal Pak team should have Saqlain as frontline spinner and Afridi as allrounder if the wicket is supporting spinners, otherwise Razzaq comes into the team in Afridi's place, Aamir Sohail is the 6th bowler in the 90s team. So ideal bowling combination becomes Wasim Akram, Waqar Younus, Shoaib Akhtar, Saqlain Mushtaq, Afridi / Razzaq and Aamir Sohail

33. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
      for post Wasim era: Shoaib Akhtar, Mohd Asif, Gul, Arshad Khan, Afridi/ Razzaq, Hafeez.

34. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
      for post Inzamam era: Shoaib Akhtar, Mohd Asif, Gul, Ajmal, Afridi / Razzaq, Hafeez.

35. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
      for Misbah era: Irfan, Gul, Wahab, Ajmal, Afridi / Anwar Ali, Hafeez,.

for current era: Amir, Irfan, Hassan Ali / Asghar, Wahab Riaz, Yasir Shah, Hafeez.

36. Patriot

Patriot Cricistani

Oct 8, 2014
      remember this one, I was literally praying "Please dont hit a six" cuz I knew he would try to hit sixes when there was no need :p

37. Patriot

Patriot Cricistani

Oct 8, 2014
      This game was epic. One of the best Test matches I have ever witnessed

38. Patriot

Patriot Cricistani

Oct 8, 2014
      you guys remember this, I think Abdur Razzaq should also get a separate thread

39. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      The comparison was for Saqlain in the twilight of his career when both his knees were gone and he wasnt the same bowler anymore. There's no way peak Afridi could outbowl peak Saqlain or walk into any team ahead of Saqlain.