"Umar Akmal is a complicated guy" : Brendon McCullum

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Mar 11, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    BMac seems to have taken Akmal jr to town.

"Umar Akmal is a complicated guy"

"He's had his troubles. He's had well documented troubles"

"If he was to stop playing now then it would be fair to say he has underachieved as he is an incredible talent"

"Sometimes you have to be honest with yourself and be receptive to feedback you get".

2. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    Love his brutal, honest comments about this idiot.

3. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Akmal out of the team (lol doesnt even travel with the team)...team starts winning

mmh

4. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Smooth Operator

Jul 17, 2017
    Didn’t Baz say he’s messed up in the head.

lol if it’s true.

5. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    if someone like Brendon is saying something like this about you then its time to hang up your boots and start your career elsewhere

He will never learn from his mistake, still arrogant, wannabe and someone who starts grouping in the team. Glad Brendon kicked him out

6. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    Baz is just jealous of Umar's incredible talent. The guy got a test hundred on debut in Baz's country whereas Baz can only be good enough to be a T20 hack.

Umar gets unnecessary hate from even his own countrymen which is such a shame. He is the only batsman in Pakistan who has the potential to break all of Kohli's batting records.

7. Energy

Energy Whispering Death

Apr 22, 2012
    Baz is being too kind. No other franchise will pick Umar Akmal next season if Lahore drop him. Ultimate embarrassment.

8. Phenom

Phenom Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2017
    I think Umar actually has mental issues.I remember during the Carribean tour of 2013 he suffered epileptic seizures in the flight.

9. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    Beside all these attributes, another big one which has always be associated with him is "Talent". However, I never saw anybody explaining that what is talent?

Does talent mean charging down the wicket to a fast bowler and hitting him over mid wicket, mid on or straight over his head for a 6? Because if that's what it means, Afridi is much better player than Umar Akmal. And by the same note, Afridi won many game compare to this buffoon in 90's for Pakistan, so does it make him more talented? I guess there is no need to derail this thread and explain how "talunted" Afridi is, its well documented and we all know.

On contrary, if talent means identifying your weaknesses, growing over them and establishing a niche for yourself in the team, trying to play to your strengths and not having mental lapses then surely Umar is far away from talent. Yes Umar was very talented when he hit Shane Bond for sixes 8 years ago, but now he has been ruined by team management, Misbah, Waqar or even some believe by himself.

What was there to ruin? Waqar may not be the most equipped coach around, but he was spot on when he said that "Umar is his own worst enemy. He doesn't want to work hard, he doesn't want to put in the effort, he doesn't want to get fit, and it's embarrassing.

Talented players don't ride much on their luck, but most this Umar's innings, wherein he made runs, he gives AT LEAST ONE CHANCE before he even scores big.

Is that talent?

That just means he banks on his ability to hit big and hit himself out of trouble and score a breezy 30 and 40 and then depart with a pained expression.

In that regards Afridi is not much different if not better because at least Afridi can bowl.

Umar is the worst example of talent we believe in Pakistan.

The dude is NOT talented at all.

Sure he can hit big, but so can Sohail Tanveer. Now you tell me is Sohail Tanveer Talented?

It's been 3 years when he was shown the door from the national team after the world cup. Any good player would take this time to improve himself and get back into the team. The sad thing is we don't even have competition in batting as our batting standards are even worse than Bangladesh. All these years I was hoping against the hope that he would learn and improve his batting and make a comeback, but certainly there is no light at the end of the tunnel, and we should better look towards others.

10. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Talent is simply defined as an ability of a batsman to do stroke making which is different from Power hitting that Afridi and Sammy Possess. Akmal does posses stroke making ability with no apparent weaknesses in his technique however there are mental blockages that forces him to play brainless or high risk shots when subjected to good bowling and fielding pressure from the opposition team

11. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    one thing I would say is different coaches and captains ruined him buy asking him to change his approach. I remember during Younis reign he was given free license to go but when Afridi became captain he was asked to block deliveries and take his time, this messed him up massively imo

12. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Yes YK managed him well.

13. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    But he flunked in both the roles - no?

I remember he complained that I am asked to changes my style, thats why Waqar asked him to play his natural game, but he couldn't deliver.

He wanted to play at no.4 that's why I believe Afridi would've asked him to play accordingly, but he had no idea how to construct long innings.

14. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Umar Akmals innings under YK

15. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    Every player PAK has produced had initial success in this carrier, but latter he has been found out. Same happened with Umar, but he had no work ethics, never worked hard on this game and never tried to overcome his short coming. Therefore, he has be deteriorated to the point that cross leg slog has become his go to short.

16. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah, and what else has he done in 1000 other game he played? this team on countless occasions.

17. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    I don't agree that he was found out. He does not have any known technical issues. He has been responsible for his own destruction. There are batsman who have technical issues and get found out by good bowlers but in his case most of the time he lost his wicket by throwing it away.

18. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    Only somebody know doesn't understand the game would say that he's not been found out. Checkout how IND and SL trap him with leg and specially SLA bowlers. He is almost a walking wicket against SLA.

As captain, you block his go-to short, don't give him away easy single, block boundaries, build a little pressure and that's it - he will gift his wicket to you in no time.

Of course, apart from this, he's brainless too.

19. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Smooth Operator

Jul 17, 2017
    Put on any randomn left arm spinner and he is a walking wicket.

He has technical issues but at the same time he has all the shots.

20. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    He does, but lately what I have noticed is that he is getting out on his big shots.

Sometimes it his hits look totally miss time and on other occasions doesn't contain enough power.

21. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Never heard any experts saying that he has technical issues other than cricistani experts. He may be more vulnerable to SLA but even KP has had some history of getting out more frequently to SLA. Inzi was kind of bunny to Kumble. Technical issues are when batsman lack certain feet movements or head positions or dealing with outside off stump or unable to handle a moving ball. I agree with your assessment on captains blocking the go to shot but that is where the temperament comes into play more than technique.

22. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    Some players are good against pace but have serious flaws against spin (which is the case with Umar).

Playing both, pace and spin is a art, but if, as a batsman, you are weak in either aspect than it will be considered as "technical issue", sir. Unable to read spinners, not able to get to the pitch of the ball, don't know when to come out to hit a leggie, and after getting frustrated dancing down the pitch only to do the following is called "technical issues".

upload_2018-3-12_12-36-28.png

And to make things even worse, as per Waqar's quotes that, "he doesn't want to work hard, he doesn't want to put in the effort, he doesn't want to get fit, and it's embarrassing" - is icing on the cake.

23. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Agree, he is still one of the most talented batsmen in Pakistan. His issues are mental. It is not clear if he can recover from it. I've always felt like he'd be great to have at the top to open instead of the way he has been thrown around up and down the order.

As for Baz, he also threw his team's bowlers under the bus at their last loss and didn't take any responsibility for himself not helping his team score a competitive total or chase down a total. After that statement, i don't put much stock into what he has to say when it comes to criticizing his own teammates.

24. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    And this guy was supposedly our ABD

LOL

25. MecnunK

MecnunK Youngsta Beauty

Oct 21, 2015
    UA has no idea how to pace his innings , what the match situation is and to adjust accordingly. From what I have seen of him I dont think he has anything special, has failed every time I have seen him bat (Albeit a while back) plus the personality issues so good riddance.

26. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    When he came into the National side he was good actually, but then you suppose to grow in your carrier from the point you start. This is true in every aspect of live, regardless of cricket. And this is where he has failed big time. He use to play pace very well, was able to rotate strike without issue, running between wickets wasn't bad and short selection wasn't horrendous as well. In 2018 compared to 2009, he has been deteriorated to the point which is unbelievable. Back in 2009 nobody could make a prophecy what we witnesses today. He confidence is gone, running between wickets is worse than Inzy, carrying easily 10/12 KG's extra on his body, his go-to short has become cross leg slog, has no work ethics, not ready to do hard work, not ready to accept his mistake. There is not even a single positive, which you can associate with this guy at them moment. The way this guy have fall down is epic, I have never seen such slump ever.

27. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    I remember the epic battles he and Yousef had with Bond in NZ in 2009. He definitely hasn't fulfilled his potential because of partly his own issues and partly the way he has been handled.

28. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Spoiled brat. I am quite surprised Babar Azam is a cousin of these lads. Comes across as a true gentlemen and a sober batsman.

29. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, he has been mismanaged but it doesn't give any justification of this his game which he possess today or does it?

30. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    Bhai, please don't jinx Bobby darling.

31. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Nothing justifies his own issues. At the same time, the captain/coach have to work with players with issues and disparate personalities to get the best out of them. I don't believe that happened either which is unfortunate for a country that has had so much difficulty finding decent, aggressive batsmen.

32. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    For now. That’s how they all start off.

33. Del

Del Tracer Bullet

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, I second you, his captain and coaches didn't handled him well too. But now collateral damage has been done and I am not certain if he is mentally and physically strong enough to come out of it.