Umar Akmal v Mickey Arthur Saga - UA given three-match ban and a 1 million rupees fine (Post #47)

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Ahson8, Aug 16, 2017.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012

LAHORE: Cricketer Umar Akmal on Wednesday accused Pakistan Cricket Team’s head coach Mickey Arthur of verbally abusing him before throwing him out of the team, ARY News reported.

Speaking to media in Lahore, the middle-order batsman who was dropped from the Pakistan’s Champions Trophy Squad, said that the head coach not only used foul language but even asked him to play in some club team instead of coming to cricket academy.

He maintained that he was dropped out of cricket academy after being given “unnecessary warnings” by the coach.

Akmal claimed that the ugly episode was witnessed by chief selector Inzamamul Haq and a number of other senior players but none stopped Arthur.

He added that he requests Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to take notice of coach’s behaviour.

Mickey Arthur has rubbished all the allegations leveled by Akmal and said that he only asked Umar Akmal to improve his performance.

“Umar Akmal wanted to use Grant Flower’s services for batting,I told him he must first earn the right go and play club cricket .since he is not under a PCB contract anymore. He needs to prove himself before he uses our support staff,” said Arthur.

He added that he never stopped him from using the academy but only stopped him from using the services of support staff “until he earns the right”.

On the other hand, PCB has decided to issue a show cause notice to Umar Akmal over the presser.

https://arynews.tv/en/umar-akmal-mickey-arthur-presser/

2. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Surely he has shot himself in the foot here.

3. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Oh god. Here we go again.

4. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
  5. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    We obviously don't have the whole story here, but abusing anyone is incorrect if he's trying to fix his mistake

6. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
  7. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

Umar Akmal is literally coming across as a cry baby now. Pathetic to say the least.

No wonder our players can't develop their game especially when they get told off from doing the same mistakes since their debuts.

As 'apparently' according to Mickey this is what he told him: "Umar Akmal wanted to use Grant Flower's services for batting and I told him he must first earn the right so go and play club cricket."

"Umar Akmal can not expect that the support staff for contracted players are at his back & call, go back and play, train with the clubs."

The South African meanwhile has hit back at Akmal’s allegations saying that he has never stopped the batsman from using the services of the NCA but has only asked him to refrain from using the services of the support staff.

“Umar Akmal wanted to use Grant Flower’s services for batting, I told him he must first earn the right. Go and play club cricket since he is not under a PCB contract anymore. He needs to prove himself before using our support staff,” Arthur commented.

“I never stopped him from using the academy, I told him to not use the services of our support staff until he earns the right. Umar Akmal cannot expect the support staff for contracted players to be at his beck and call, go back and play some club cricket,” the South African added.

http://sport360.com/article/cricket/...foul-language/

8. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012

9. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't see anything wrong in Arthur's comments.

“Umar Akmal wanted to use Grant Flower’s services for batting,I told him he must first earn the right go and play club cricket .since he is not under a PCB contract anymore. He needs to prove himself before he uses our support staff,” said Arthur.

He added that he never stopped him from using the academy but only stopped him from using the services of support staff “until he earns the right”.

Seems to me, Umar is not only doofus, but also a liar.

10. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Time to finally close the door shut for Akmal.

11. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Where is the so-called 'abuse'?

12. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    There is nothing abusive in showing somebody mirror and give him reality check. Maybe he thinks moaning in media might going to yield way to him.

13. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Maybe he did feel abused that's his own interpretation of events and he is entitled to them.

The sad thing is that there are 4 international cricketers in his immediate family so he isn't a naive youngster who doesn't know how to handle the media. Couldn't any of his family,friends,colleagues or agents advise him that calling out the coach of the side that the champions trophy and is currently a very popular figure in pakistan would ensure that he totally burnt his bridges? I mean what was he expecting would happen.

14. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    Abused the baby with big ego or not... Arthur did the right thing.

15. Karachi-King

Karachi-King Talented

Jun 4, 2011
    nah he's already shot both on 10 separate occasions each

there's no foot to shoot at for him :))

no wonder there's no footwork.

16. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    What level of intellect do you expect from an illiterate person?

17. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Does he have an agent or somebody around him that knows how to handle the media? It's frankly embarrassing

18. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Regardless of whether he was wronged, this will only make it harder for him to return. He is not very smart and continues to get attention for all the wrong reasons.

19. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011
    this guy has mental issues. Player like Fawad Alam deserve to be in the test squad more than him and is patiently waiting for a recall. He either whines to Imran Khan or Afridi. He's a nut

20. harsha

harsha Youngsta Beauty

Nov 17, 2013
    absolutely hilarious :D :D :D

21. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Media press was his last resort to get a short-cut but that's backfired now. Obviously he thinks he's the king of Lahore and can walk anywhere but you got to give credit to Mickey.

22. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    I have a feeling some of it is a misunderstanding due to something getting lost in translation. Arthur was probably trying to light a fire under Umar's backside for him to work even harder to get back into the team.

Also highlights how some of our players are not mentally strong enough. Surely a grown up man should be able to handle some tough words from their coach.

23. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I doubt it!!!

24. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    LAHORE August 18: The PCB strongly condemns the reckless statements made by batsman Umar Akmal with regards to his omission from the ICC Champions Trophy squad.

While making frivolous allegations against the national team management, Umar has made a bogus attempt to deviate attention from his own failings. Umar was given as many as seven chances to improve his fitness and match the standards of his teammates, laid out by the team management.

Umar was given a program to improve his fitness like other players before the West Indies tour and after he failed the tests in Lahore, he was left out of the team.

After clearing another test before the squad selection on eve of the ICC Champions Trophy in England, Umar was included in the eventual 15 member squad.

The PCB wants to stress that the team trainer conducts fitness tests of squad members before each international assignment and the tests before the Champions Trophy were conducted as a continuation of the policy.

Once again Umar failed to attain the desired level of fitness and the team management was left with no option but to drop him from the squad.

Head Coach Mickey Arthur had placed Umar in his white ball format plans and gave him repeated chances for redemption, unfortunately though the batsman remained incapable of reaching the requisite fitness level.

The PCB awaits his response to the show cause issued to him yesterday and hopes that in the meantime, the batsman will refrain from making baseless allegations.

http://www.pcb.com.pk/press-release-...legations.html

25. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Could someone post the transcripts of his tweets here in this thread.

26. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    [​IMG]

27. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
  28. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    @s_h_a_f I read these on the day he tweeted them, just that I couldn't be asked to write them in English here for those who can't read Urdu.

Seeing the thread with no response, I think I made a wise decision to not waste my time and energy typing it all as I've done on others before.

29. Fourth Umpire

Fourth Umpire Youngsta Beauty

May 24, 2017
    Tough time for Akmal because Geo Karachi lobby is in charge right now. He needs to tough it out and wait for a proper PCB chairman to take over

30. Fourth Umpire

Fourth Umpire Youngsta Beauty

May 24, 2017
    No coincidence that Mikey Arthur has a problem with Akmal and Arthur coaches Karachi. Connect the dots people. Don't believe everything.

31. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Umar Akmal comeback unlikely: Aamir

Pakistan former captain Aamir Sohail has blamed both the Pakistan Cricket board (PCB) and middle order batsman Umar Akmal over the escalation of recent controversy.

The Pakistan cricket has been embroiled into yet another scandal, after Umar Akmal’s allegations of abusive language used by Pakistan Head Coach Mickey Arthur.

“In my view, there is little doubt in the fact that Umar Akmal is doing this out of frustration at the manner in which his career is progressing so far. There was a lot of promise in his career at the onset but that has failed to materialize and not been fulfilled,” wrote Aamir Sohail, quoted PakPassion.Net.

The former opening batsman added that the PCB was at fault too, as the board failed to ‘mentor’ Akmal.

“The PCB on their part have also been lax in the way they have failed to provide support to the batsman. If he had any drawbacks or faults in his skills or personality, then they should have mentored him in a proper way,” he said.

Sohail said that Umar Akmal has ‘greatly diminished’ his chances of making a comeback into the team.

“I also believe that Umar Akmal’s chances of making a comeback into this team under the current Head Coach have been greatly diminished by his outburst as now there may be an element of personal like or dislike in selection matters.”

http://www.brecorder.com/2017/08/21/365726/umar-akmal-comeback-unlikely-aamir/

32. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    dont take it personally we are just sick of umar akmal.

33. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Aren't we all lol

34. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    No player is bigger than the game: Sethi

LAHORE (Dunya news) – Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Najam Sethi has hinted on taking a stern action against Test cricketer Umar Akmal. He was talking to Zainab Abbas during the popular Dunya news show Cricket Dewangi.

Last week, Umar Akmal had lashed out at Mickey Arthur, the head coach of Pakistan cricket team, for allegedly hurling abuses at him. Sethi said that Umar Akmal had violated his contract and a breach in code of conduct would not be tolerated.

However, he was particularly lenient in expressing his views about the central figure of the 2010 spot-fixing scandal, Salman Butt. He said that the test opener had shown remorse and should be allowed to represent the country again.

The newly appointed PCB chairman announced that PCB was to take relevant decisions regarding women cricket affairs. Moreover, Sethi was hopeful that he would put an end to nepotism in Pakistan cricket circuit which will bring talented players forward. He was also hopeful about bringing back international cricket to Pakistan.

http://dunyanews.tv/en/Cricket/402426-No-player-is-bigger-than-the-game-Sethi

35. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Akmal submits reply to PCB’s show-cause notice

LAHORE: Batsman Umar Akmal submitted on Wednesday his reply to the show-cause notice issued to him by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) following his media outburst against head coach Mickey Arthur.

The middle-order batsman, who recently alleged that Arthur had verbally abused him in front of Chief Selector Inzamam-ul-Haq, arrived at reached Gaddafi Stadium to submit a written statement in response to the show-cause notice sent to him.

Briefly addressing the media at the PCB headquarters, Akmal said, "I had been tolerating the ‘abusing’ for long".

He informed that he has recorded his statement regarding 'what happened', adding that he has been treated unjustly since the last few years.

"I couldn't tolerate the unjust behaviour anymore," said Akmal, hoping that the PCB chairman is 'just' with him.

Akmal has maintained his stance that he continued to “suffer injustices” at the hands of coach Arthur, which prompted him to speak out finally.

His criticism is not aimed at the PCB; instead, he only raised questions after suffering verbal abuse from the coach, he said.

[​IMG]
    PCB issues show-cause notice to Umar Akmal

[​IMG]

The batsman added that he has always respected the system and is submitting the reply to the show-cause notice despite not being in the central contract.

Akmal had also claimed that he was dropped from the team after an unjustified warning, and that he wanted to inform the PCB regarding the behaviour of the coaching staff.

Arthur, however, had rubbished the allegations and said the batsman was not telling the truth.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/154916-umar-akmal-to-submit-reply-to-pcbs-show-cause-notice-today

36. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    The only reason he is doing this is because he knows he won't play for Pakistan whilst Arthur is Coach so he is trying his level best to remove Arthur,Some poor people don't even get a chance to play for Pakistan yet look at this Shahzada,He has played 2 real match winning Innings as of Yet 94 against Australia and 100 against Afghanistan,He isn't talented he is just another Pakistani Batsman,Below average and mediocre.Why do we need him? He is trying to remove the best coach we have had since Bob woolmer.

37. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Talking to the reporters on Wednesday after submitting his reply to a PCB show-cause notice, Umar demanded that he explained his actions and said he had to take a stand against how he was being treated for the past three or four years. “I am hopeful that the issue will be resolved properly and I will accept whatever the PCB decides on the matter.”

The batsman said that he had nothing against the board, but head coach Mickey Arthur's behaviour had become ‘intolerable’ which ‘forced’ him to go public with his grievances. “Arthur used abusive words for me in the presence of both Inzamam-ul-Haq and Mushtaq Ahmad, which is really painful and highly embarrassing for me as a cricketer, who has played for the national team,” he said.

In his written reply to PCB’s show-cause notice, Umar says the head coach insulted not only him but also the entire nation. No one has right to abuse and hurt anyone’s self-respect. “It is not written anywhere in the law that any person has the legal authority to hurt [someone’s] feelings and self-respect and to disgrace and abuse a Test cricket in front of chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq, NCA coach Mushtaq Ahmad and others,” his reply says.

He further says that he has produced excellent results for Pakistan and was shocked and disturbed to hear such words from the head coach. “Arthur has not only abused me, but also the PCB, my nation, country and its flag, which is not tolerable for any Pakistani,” he writes.

Umar adds that his training schedule was fixed with batting coach Grant Flower but when he reached the National Cricket Academy, the coach refused to work with him. “He ordered me not to use NCA and the staff and told me to play club cricket, which I have been whether I am in any contract with the PCB or not,” Umar says and adds: “My timings were fixed with Grant Flower for practice but when I reached there, he refused to practice saying he did not have orders to work with me.”

He also requested PCB chairman Najam Sethi to take notice of the issue and have it investigated properly. “If found guilty, I will apologize to Arthur, but would want the head coach to do the same, if he is proved to be at fault. I have complete trust and faith in my organisation that it will solve the issue efficiently, as it is a matter of honour, dignity and pride of nation,” he writes.

http://nation.com.pk/sports/24-Aug-2017/umar-akmal-sticks-to-stance-against-arthur-in-reply-to-pcb

38. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    PCB forms committee over Akmal-Arthur rift

LAHORE (Dunya News) – Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Saturday formed a committee to probe the allegations against Pakistan cricket team head coach Mickey Arthur levelled by Umar Akmal reported Dunya News.

The committee consists of director cricket operations Haroon Rasheed, director media Amjad Bhatti and GM legal affairs Salman Naseer.

During the probe, statements of Umar Akmal and Mickey Arthur would be recorded, while Chief Selector Inzamam-ul-Haq and National Cricket Academy (NCA) Head Coach Mushtaq Ahmed could also be summoned.

If Umar Akmal is found guilty of violating PCB’s code of conduct, he can face punishment as decided by the committee.

http://dunyanews.tv/en/Cricket/402996-PCB-forms-committee-over-AkmalArthur-rift

39. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Umar Akmal takes U-turn, blames mental strain for Mickey Arthur outburst

New Delhi: Following Pakistan cricketer Umar Akmal is one tedious job for any fan. Days after his outburst against Pakistan national team coach Mickey Arthur, the batting talent has taken an U-turn, blaming mental stress and duress.

On Saturday, Pakistani media reported that the 27-year-old, in his reply to the PCB show-cause notice, admitted to breaching the players' code of conduct and promised he will not behave in such manner in future.

He has reportedly written to the PCB that his outburst was a result of mental duress and pressure.

Last month, the controversial batsman claimed that coach Arthur had verbally abused him in front of chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq. He also claimed that senior players did not stop the coach when he was being verbally abused.

Akmal in his first reply had called on the PCB Chairman Najam Sethi to appoint an independent committee to probe the incident and said he would be willing to serve any punishment if found guilty of misbehaving with Arthur.

Sethi appointed a four-member committee to probe the matter and was not satisfied with Akmal's reply and subsequently issued him a second notice giving him ten-day time to respond.

The source said Akmal had consulted his father in law -- former Test leg spinner Abdul Qadir -- who had advised him to avoid a confrontation path with Arthur and the board.

"Qadir advised him to accept his mistake and seek pardon. Umar in his reply has said that he reacted the way he did because he has been under lot of mental strain and duress in recent months but he had gone to the national cricket academy after getting permission from batting coach Grant Flower," the source added.

http://zeenews.india.com/cricket/um...train-for-mickey-arthur-outburst-2040988.html

40. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Umar Akmal 'regrets' media outburst against Mickey Arthur

While Pakistan batsman Umar Akmal stands by his words against head coach Mickey Arthur, he has admitted that he might have been wrong in approaching the matter in the manner he did - a public outburst in a fiery press conference last month. In his response to the second show-cause notice issued by a three-man PCB committee, Akmal said he wasn't aware his actions were a breach of the players' code.

The tone of Akmal's response was significantly more conciliatory than earlier statements he had made on the subject. In a vague explanation, Akmal wrote that he "unaware" about any breach of code, and did what he did "unintentionally in the heat of the moment". A source close to the player confirmed to ESPNcricinfo that the batsman still held his ground about his claims about Arthur but "regretted" going to the media to talk about his fallout with the coach.

The committee was formed to probe Akmal's allegations that the head coach had used abusive language with him. The claims are yet to be verified, but the PCB found him to be in breach of its code of conduct despite being a non-contracted player. According to one of the committee members, Amjad Hussain - who is the PCB's media director - players who are not centrally contracted with the PCB but are part of the domestic circuit are still compelled to follow the players' code of conduct which is enforced at every level.

Akmal had promised to apologise to Arthur should the committee find him guilty, but also made it clear he expected the same from Arthur if the verdict was in his favour. Calling himself a national cricketer who had "produced excellent results for Pakistan", he said that the law did not allow any person to hurt the feelings and self-respect of another individual. He concluded by expressing full faith in the PCB to resolve the matter efficiently, as it was one "of respect, dignity and pride of Pakistan and its nation".

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20657264/umar-akmal-regrets-media-outburst-mickey-arthur