VAR - Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Sportistan' started by Munna, Jun 25, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    We have been seeing VAR coming into play on numerous occasions in this world cup and it has been chaotic sometimes for instance just now in the Portugal and Spain games.

Some decisions have been overturned, some have been reviewed and stayed as per referee's original decision.

We saw some controversial decisions as well and some were not even considered to be reviewed.

With knockout games starting soon, these VAR decisions might break millions of hearts.

So is it a good or a bad addition to the game?

@Donal Cozzie @Fireworks11 @Prince Pathan @Mohsin @ASLI-PATHAN @Passionate Pakistani @Red Devil @KingOfDoosra @zkhan427 @Patriot

2. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    The idea is good, but its use should be limited to certain events i.e

Penalty appeals
    Goals with a hint of offside

Thats it, game should be allowed flow aside from this. The unfortunate reality for me though is that FIFA are so corrupt there is absolutey zero doubt in my mind that VAR is being used to restrict referee's freedom to make decisions, the Ronaldo incident today being a prime example. I'm not one for conspiracies but there's no way anyone can tell me that the referee today wasnt told to issue a yellow instead of a red. Its either no foul or a red, cant be in between.

I also think the referees should have received actual match practice. Not fair to throw refs into a WC when their only experience with VAR has been training camps.

3. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    There's also a lack of consistency. Today every single decision was analysed, whereas Serbia had an absolutely blatant penalty denied vs Switzerland and it wasnt even looked at by VAR.

4. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    VAR should take a leaf out of crickets book and give each team 2/3 opportunities each to ask for VAR when they think they deserve a free-kick/penalty (and obviously the look will automatically look at any yellow/red card issues).

5. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  6. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
  7. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    A good concept but the way it’s being run is a total farce. Players conning the ref and literally appealing for everything, persuading the ref.

Lack of consistency, firstly it takes ages for the ref to make the VAR call, the game has long moved on. It ruins the natural momentum in a game.

And finally, the actually decision making even when VAR has been looked at is a shambles, Denmark v Aus game, for the Aussie penalty no way that was a pen, guy wasn’t even looking at the ball - similar to the Iran farcical penalty today. There have been many cases where penalty has been given after a VAR review and it really isn’t a penalty! Griezmann v Aus is another one that comes to mind. If you’re making the wrong decision even after VaR then what’s the point.

It would be total chaos and controversy if VaR ruins a KO game. You can imagine the tempers flaring.

8. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    Var shouldn't be used for lines man jobs. Because their only job is to check if its on or off and if they need VAR to make their final decision then why not replace them with robots

VAR in general is a good idea but it should be limited to fouls only.

9. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    As Amrabat said, "VAR is shit!"

I don't like the idea that the referee gets to decide when one team get a decision reviewed. Cricket is a perfect example of how to use a Decision Review System. Give each team a quota of one or two referrals per match.

Also, in my opinion VAR should only be limited to checking whether a ball has gone over the line or not and for offside goals.

10. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    Seems like a good idea but it's really ruining the flow of the game. It should have very strict time restrictions. 15-20 seconds should be enough to check if a decision is obvious...if it isn't obvious then they should keep it moving.

11. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    The one issue I have with VAR is that its always going to be subjective. Unlike in cricket where you have clear cut lines, assistance of ball tracking, snicko, crease lines, and now LED bails... football can't have these features to assist when the referee is judging a committed foul.

Its always going to be subjective.

12. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Still on the fence with this. They need to speed up the process when it comes to making the final decision. Don't want it to break up too much of the play

13. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Few more decisions in the CL last night. I seen one of the Athletico Madrid ones and that was a good decision not to award the penalty after the review. Was handled pretty quickly too. The contact was clearly made outside of the box

Not seen the other ones yet but for Schalke the monitor broke down and it took extra time before the decision was eventually made.

Think there were a total of 4 decisions in last nights games, definitely something we are all going to have to get used too