[VIDEO] Interview Thread (Waqar Younis interview - upd # 13)

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
  2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    This guy sounds wise to me. Seems like he has vision and knows what he's doing.

3. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    very good, excellent hire. well done IK.

4. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    How PCB hired this guy?

He's too good for us.

5. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    He went over everything. We will have a provincial set up with second 11 teams, inter city and then clubs. He talked about the merit in selection of provincial sides and inter city. When you have open trials at U-16 and U-13 or even inter districts what happens is nepotism flourishes. Now they will select inter city and age group teams using the stats of club cricket. We have around 3000 clubs but 2000 are ghost clubs meaning they only have a vote but play no matches and have no facilities. They will kick them clubs out after doing scrutiny although they have an idea of whose playing and whose not. They are going to select independent businessmen who will be impartial as heads of provinces. As for inter city they will have to select on club performance so nepotism is reduced. Same provinces must also select on performance as the best city team from each province will play the other 5 teams. For example, Quetta, Pindi, Peshawar, Lahore, Multan and Karachi may win the inter city tournament in their province so this will lead to a direct tournament between these six teams. A provincial side will then select the players. The system has been corrected, you have a solid structure with honest people at the provincial level and then underneath that they have fixed the system so nepotism cannot happen. We have more talent then New Zealand and even Australia. I was looking at stats in Sheffield Shield and I was genuinely shocked to find most batters averaged low 30s or in 20s. Same for Nz. England is a rich country hence why 18 teams but even then England is not a good test team. In India yes they have 36 teams but many teams have low standards of cricket hence why you see India struggling on away tours but that gap is closed because they have the IPL, lots of money, a population of 1.2 billion and a cricket craze. I'm still bemused at those people who suggested that all the TTFs will be arranged in these 6 top teams. Wasim clearly stated U-19 cricketers will be taken along in this structre. Also he mentioned age group cricket and high performance centres including coaches, health trainers and Psychologists. In these training centres guys will enhance their skills. Most batsman don't get to play on a bowling machine. I know many people in Pakistan prefer cheaper methods like slab training but there is nothing like facing a bowling machine. It's like facing a international bowler. Why do our batsman start jumping when pace goes above 145 kph? In 2003 Nick Knight played 100 mph as if it was 100 kph. The difference between a international batsman and the rest is they do not have this issue where at higher speeds they lose the ball, I'm happy each province will have its own performance centre where age group cricket will be able to enhance there skills and the FC side can also use the facilities.

6. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017

7. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    But if you listen to the media, then he's shown as a monster who is here just to fill his pocket and destroy our cricket.I don't understand why haters like SYH and others start doing character assassination of people they dont even know?

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    I'd pay him well because he's worth it. If Pakistan wins world cups, ICC Test championships then Pakistan will gain lots of money and a good reputation. A narrow minded person will always have a small thought. He won't understand a large thought. I just hope all cricket lovers boycott these type of journalists. They are hurting Pakistan. People like them will focus on coach, captain and selection comitee. Bhai we have had almost 20 captains, coaches and selection comitees since we won world cup last. Problem is in domestic cricket. Why has Australia won 5 world cups? Because they have strong domestic cricket. SA is another team that has strong domestic system, they always dominate. New Zealand has a very small population and small interest yet they have produced good standard teams. England has not been as successful but still they increase competition through overseas players.

9. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Wasim Khan issues stern warning to PCB officials

The Managing Director (MD) of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Wasim Khan has issued a stern warning to the board officials while talking about the future of Pakistan Cricket, in an interview on local channel PTV sports.

The MD stated that Pakistan lacked a decisive plan in the past which is being currently rectified. He said there would be no room for officials in the board who did not want to embark on this journey.

“One thing we haven't had in a very long time at the PCB is a five year direction. I've set us a very ambitious task for us as a cricket board and that is to make us one of the most successful and credible cricket boards in the world,” said Wasim. “If people don’t want to come on this journey then they are in the wrong place. Taking those grey areas away is really important.”

Wasim also revealed his frustrations against the media and people, whom he claimed focused on the ‘wrong’ things.

“The biggest frustration for me since I have arrived has been the fact that people don’t want to focus on what you are trying to do. People want to look and focus on other things. People want to talk about salary, they want to talk about that apparently I have been given a big house; you know all the wrong things. It’s that sort of thing that frustrates you,” he said. “We want to move Pakistan cricket forward. We have so much potential but we have to move the mind-set. Media has a big role to play. I am not saying that in the past things have been rosy in the PCB they haven’t been.”

The 48-year-old unveiled a new format for the selection committee which would comprise of six provincial head coaches, who would report directly to the chief selector. However these coaches would report on opposing players rather than their own players.

“The chief selector uses those six head coaches as his eyes and ears. So you don’t have a formal selection committee. What happens is that these coaches will write a report on each other’s players. So they don’t write about their own players, so there is no pressure coming from above,” he said. “There are different models you can do. Let’s do things differently. Let’s think outside the box.”

The MD also announced a renewal of the domestic calendar that could potentially cater to international demands.

“Your schedule of first class cricket has to support international cricket. We need guys going into test matches having played a decent amount of red ball cricket. We need them going into T20 international cricket having played T20s. So the selectors are selecting from a format,” he said. “There is a narrative for everything we are going to do going forward.”

Khan unveiled the rebranding of the National Cricket Academy (NCA) as the High Performance Centre (HPC). This rebranding would include the addition of psychologists and nutritionists to meet the international demands of athletes.

"The NCA will be re-branded as a High Performance Centre. Nutritionists will be brought in to ensure players eat food that athletes should be having, rather than biryani and daal chaawal," he said.

‘Entire season of HBL PSL in Pakistan is not practical’

The MD made it clear that domestic cricket will be given importance in the future. He revealed that many players asked to stay in England but were strictly told to come back and participate in domestic cricket.

“Some of the players playing in England asked us if they can stay there, we told them no. They have to play first-class cricket in the new system in September to be available for selection," he concluded.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/wasim-khan-issues-stern-warning-to-pcb-officials

10. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
  11. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Rashid has has asked some good question and same goes for Doc. On contrary, Shoaib has nothing to say but "bring smart people, energetic, brave & modern cricketers", which means indirectly that hire me. Such a waste of spot.

That said, I must say, I'm impressed with Wasim Khan, he talks sense and I wish that even if he can implement 60% of what he said, then it will be a massive accomplishment. Best of luck man.

12. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
  13. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016