Virat Kohli

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Bruce Wayne, Aug 1, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Smooth Operator

May 22, 2012
    This guy is the freak of the cricketing world in ODI's at the moment. His stats are literally unbelievable. I never saw the early days of Sachin, Ponting, Jayasuriya or Ganguly but he has way more hundreds than them after 86 innings. Simply spectacular! 12 out of his 13 ODI centuries have come in wins as well - Overall career average of over 52. At home its 50.66 and away 45.70 + he's just 23 and ain't even hit his peak yet. This has to be the best purple patch of any player to have played the game. This year in just 15 matches he has got more than 1000 runs at an average of 77.15 an absolutely sensational cricketer despite his attitude but oh well a legend in the making undoubtedly.

Kohli.jpg

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 9
    • List
  2. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    A Legend In Making!

Just wish we had players like him :(

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  3. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    People have normally compared Kohli and Umar Akmal together due to the fact of their age and similar time of debut in international cricket.

For Kohli everything has worked majorly because he has a decent enough technique and knows the difference between attacking and accumulating (meaning playing according to the situation on hand) more better. More importantly, he also makes sure that once he's got a start around a 40-50 odd he doesn't just give up or throw his wicket away and rather see his team home or carries it out and gets a big score like a 100 atleast. That shows he has the attitude to score big and not just think of good quick 20's, 30's or 50's and job done.

For India, they've always been able to produce better batsmen and he is one of them despite being still only just 23 he's racking up so many tons and another such name that comes to mind is Alaistar Cook who again has been doing so in test cricket for England and racking up centuries.

It's also been a help for him to be having guys like Tendulkar and Dravid around who would've shared some experiences with him of theirs over the time he's had the chance to play alongside them as it's a major boost to have such players on the side who can advice and just by watching them you can learn so much.

Kohli is currently miles ahead of some players in his age group and from here can only get better as he's still got plenty of time on hand. The form he's currently in can be quite devastating for the opposition as Pakistan faced it back in the Asia Cup when he scored 183 his highest ODI score in ODI's to take India home.

For the coming time, he's a perfect player that India have who's started to peak for them at the right time and can become more better with more he plays unless he hits any lows.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 5
    • List
  4. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    Omar

Kohli has great temperament. He is mature beyond his experience. The difference between him and the rest of the cast be it Umar or Rohit is temperament. Because of his temperament I can safely see him having a great test career too.

• List
  5. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Yep I agree that's something I didn't mention directly as I said having the likes of Tendulkar and Dravid around and seeing the temperament level they have, he's surely taken a note of that and he's got that which like you said sets him apart from the likes of be that Umar or Rohit.

• List
  6. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Here's a better look of his progress over the years.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343870974.900293.jpg

• List
  7. s2k

s2k Tracer Bullet

Mar 23, 2012
    I will judge him when he makes runs in Tests.But he has great temperament that was well known to all cricketnfans who follow domestic cricket.I think all here are aware of the incidence shortly before he was selected for the u19 wc team.

There is a difference between a good strokemaker and a good batsman.Thats the diff between Kohli and Akmaljnr

8. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    All I know is every time I turn around...he has scored a century. Can't be a bad thing least not for India.

9. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    This kid will be the main stay for the Indian team for the next 10 years in all formats of the game. He has the temperament to do it and the work ethic to go with it. As long as he doesn't do something stupid.

• List
  10. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    We do, they arent getting the support that would make them a superstar

11. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    What type of support do they need?

Ok, so Umar Should bat higher up in ODIs and be in the Test Squad(Not First XI, SQUAD)

But when they get enough time to play, what do they do then?

The Misbah creates pressure excuse is too old now.

If they really are so good then they should be able to play well in pressure too.

12. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    Umar isnt the only talent we have,
    Players like ahmed shehzad and hammad azam and junaid khan are being side lined and arent getting enough time to prove themselves

13. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Ahmed Shehzad is way over hyped IMO.

Hammad Azam should get time to settle and atleast be in the squad.

Cant believe that they dropped Hammad And Junaid.

14. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    Ahmed shehzad isnt over hyped!
    A 19 year old has 2 centuries in 19 odi games and can do so much more, and u say hes over hyped!!!!!!
    He was dropped for disciplinery issues, and virat kohli is known for his disciplinery issues, i say the bcci have taken their initiative and used the talent thay have very well!

15. nad786

nad786 Youngsta Beauty

Jun 14, 2010
    Ahmed Shehzad is a huge talent he needs to be given chances and not dropped every now and then. He has a dicipline issue and it needs to be addressed in a different way or other wise another potential legend will slip through our fingers. As for Kholi i admit he is a good batsman but when people already start calling him a cricketing great, when he has not gone to places where the ball swings like a boomarang like England, Australia and South Africa and scored big hundreds is beyond me. Everyone knows Indian batsman can't play the moving ball and Kholi is no different.

• List
  16. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Yes Over Hyped.

The way he plays is horrible.

Either he is not allowed to play his natural game, or he is just not good enough.

17. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    Who r u kidding??
    Clearly You've never seen him play...
    So im not gonna argue with u.

18. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Im not denying that he is good talent, but you guys are hyping him up like he is the new Viv/Lara/Sachin Etc.

19. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    He maybe not be lara/sachin/viv richards, but he'll be a big name in the future and his name will be amongst the greats inshallah one day, cuz he has the talent!

• List
  20. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    The amount of hundreds he's got already is phenomenal. You've got to believe he's a class player when you're pushed to bat at No.3 so early in your career and you make that position your own. I hope he will go on and have a decent test career atleast if not a high-profile one or else there will always remain question marks over his ability.

• List
  21. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    For that,

Hafeez has to bat lower down the order- Unlikely

Younis Retire - Likely

• List
  22. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    And hafeez will have to stop trying to take over the selection comitee and getting rid of talents like him as well!

23. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    the other guys dint have these inflated avgs cus pitches these days are roads. kohli cant bat on a seaming, spinning pitch against the likes of Asif, Amir, Junaid, Ajmal, Afridi. he is overrated

24. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    What a pathetic post...

He was good in Australia.

He tonked one of the best bowlers right now, Malinga.

• List
  25. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    The fact that he is Indian and not Pakistani dont make him over rated.

I believe that many Pakistanis feel that the Indian Batsman is no better than ours, but thats wrong.

• List
  26. Sir John

Sir John Tracer Bullet

May 25, 2010
  27. straightdrive1

straightdrive1 Youngsta Beauty

Jun 19, 2012
    Kohli is one of the best batsman in the World right now,accept it or not,he just keeps on getting better.

He can bat on seaming,swinging,spinning tracks.

• List
  28. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    he has yet to do it against Asif, Amir, Junaid, Ajmal, Afridi, Rehman, Hafeez on a seaming /spinning wkt

29. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Asif, Amir Did have one great tour which was in England.

They are banned now so forget them and move on, unlikely that they are gonna make a comeback.

Ajmal is the only one who Kohli will struggle against.

He will take Afridi to cleaners and Junaid may do decent against him.

• List
  30. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011

i think he scored 180 against a Pakistani bowling lineup including Ajmal,Afridi,Hafeez and Gul.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  31. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Yep 183.

:(

That still hurts..

32. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Kohli is one of the future greats in ODIs at least. The Indian Cricketing management really helped groom this kid from his early days and the results are there for everyone to see. I personally don't like him for his over the top attitude but boy can he bat or what?

At this juncture there is no comparison between him and Umar Akmal. Kohli is way ahead in terms of scoring big runs consistently.

• List
  33. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    That was on a flat pitch. i said a turning or a fast bowlers pitch and then see what he can do. His face off against Ajmal was a short one and real battle will be in a test match when he has to face Ajmal all the time. Pak has so many gud spinners and they will trouble him on a turning wkt.

Asif and Amir were destined to become one of the all time best pairs in the mode of Wasim / Waqar. Amir was improving he had a gud t20 WC and had done well whereas Asif had demolished so many teams in past most notably indian greats in 2006 test series . he picked 11 wkts against sl to win us a series in sl. then he had 19 wkts on SA tour in 2007 at an average below 20. he had 107 wkts approx in 23 tests which were amazing stats

34. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Played Very Well In The T20 Yesterday.

35. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    68(48)

11 Fours and 1 Six.

36. Satyagraha

Satyagraha Youngsta Beauty

May 11, 2012
    Just another Indian FTB. He's good

37. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

11 centuries in 82 innings.. this is absolutely fantastic.. A century in less in almost every 7th inning.

• List
  38. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    kohli has these stats in an era of absolutely flat pitches and not having faced best bowlers of his time too much whereas sachin had those stats when there were green pitches everywhere and Wasim and Waqar were at their best. let kohli face more of Asif, Amir, Ajmal, Rehman, Afridi then we will decide

39. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011

can you pls forget about aamir and asif.. i dont understand your obsession with those two bowlers.. they are done and dusted.
    btw you keep on repeating yaself that Kohli hasnt done anything on Green Pitches..what about aamir ans asif..they were also only good on green pitches.. it works both ways..atleast kohli achieved much more than what those two have.

regarding afridi,ajmal,Gul etc.. he took them to cleaners as well in his worldclass knock of 183.

Not to forget that he scored a century against Aussies in tests and then destroyed Malinga in VB series.

plus he is just a youngster.. so pls learn to appreciate rather than repeating the same Green pitch thing.

• List
  40. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    i dont rate Gul, cheema as world class bowlers so dont give me that he scored 183 against a quality attack it was our 2nd grade attack and he scored only once he will be easily found out by his masters Ajmal and Afridi and Hafeez they are too smart bowlers than Aussie bowlers who are nothing infront of these class acts. kohli is yet to score in a test against the likes of Ajmal, Junaid Khan and Rehman so wait and then rate him!
    and u r asking me to forget Asif and Amir the best bowlers of the past decade who have achieved far more than kohli could dream of Asif and Amir have ripped apart best batting lineups. Ask kohlis seniors who were made to show like sitting ducks in karachi against lethal Asif in 06 or ask lankans whom he picked 11 wkts against or ask quality SA lineup whom Asif troubled whole series with 17 wkts in 3 tests at an average of 19 or ask Aussie and English batsmen whom Asif and Amir tormented whole of 6 tests in England, ask tendulkar who was bamboozled by Amir away swinger in champs trophy 09, ask dilshan and all the world class batsmen against whom young Amir showed his talent in t20 WC 2009 his debut tournament