Wahab Riaz: Deserved selection?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Juggernaut, Aug 17, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Cricistan's Pehlwan

Feb 17, 2010
    Now I've been reading quite a few comments all over the internet that Wahab Riaz doesn't deserve a place in the test squad. Many have used the term 'sifarshi', a few have brought up the Lahore/Punjab-Karachi issue.

My personal opinion is that Wahab actually merits a place in the test team. Whether he should play ahead of Tanvir as Guls replacement in the 3rd test is another matter.

But I think the fact that his performances with the A team have been pretty outstanding make a huge case for his selection and this is despite his poor domestic season.

The fact is that the likes of Tanvir Ahmed, Mohammad Rameez, Asad Ali, Mohammad Talha, Junaid Khan, Tabish Khan and all those other contenders for a place in the test squad lack what Wahab has:

1. Experiance with the A team in foreign conditions.
    2. Good performances with the A team in foreign conditions.

Now I'm not saying that Wahab is a better bowler than all of the above or that he'll blow England away if he gets his chance. What I am saying is that his invaluable experience with the A team puts him ahead of all others.

Stories of his dad paying a selector etc. etc. aside I'm not one of those complaining that he's in the squad.

The same actually applies to Azhar Ali. Not a great domestic season but siginificant scores against Australia and Sri Lanka away from home with the A team in my opinion meant that he was more ready than others to play Aus and Eng in England. Hindsight may say otherwise but the point still stands.

If anyone didn't deserve a place in this team out of the new guys than Umar Amin would be him. Fawad Alam, Asad Shafiq had better cases for selection. People are talking about Naved Yasin aswell but remember he was injured.

Your thoughts?

2. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Well, the tour selection committe is the best judge and they should go with who ever is bowling better in the nets. I would prefer Tanveer Ahmed becuase he is seem bowlers just like Anderson in the 1st test who bascally moved the ball off the seam..... but by not having seen either of them, can't say anything for sure.

3. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Wahab made it to the test team cause of his good bowling performance in odi. I think he also impressed the selectors in the practise game.

Amin was chosen cause he was pretty impressive with the Pakistan A team.
    Ahzar Ali i believe got in cause they had a practise game at the NCA where he scored century in each innings.

4. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
    Read my post again mate and this time take your time.

I'm not arguing who should play in the 3rd test, Wahab or Tanvir.

I'm arguing Wahab's case for selection in the test squad.

5. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
    Actually not that impressive.

He was poor against Australia A. He had one score of 150 against Sri Lanka A and nothing much else and a poor domestic season at that.

Hell he didn't even impress in the Asia cup.

Selected ahead of Fawad and even to a certain extent Asad Shafiq who scored IIRC 1000 runs in domestic cricket? I don't think so.

6. cricfreak

cricfreak Emerging Player

Jul 6, 2010
    well i guess wahab riaz is a deserved selection ..

but umar amin is the most baffling selection of ém all .. especially when we hav other good players in domestic like azeem ghumam / fawadalam / asad shafiq ...

7. LBW

LBW Youngsta Beauty

Jul 18, 2010
    give him a chance to show us what he is worth in international cricket

8. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Well here's a confusion. We all know how most of the people who know about cricket and have played it, including our selectors to coaching staff and players themselves, dont think too highly of our domestic cricket. Hence selectors and coaches tends to prefer those who they think seem talented, spot them and draft them into the team. To be fair, two of our most successful young cricketers in the past few years were selected based on sheer talent and not based on performances in domestic cricket. Case in point: Mohammad Aamer, Umar Akmal or even Mohammad Asif. Sohail tanvir to an extent. So whats this fuss about domestic stats? Sohail Khan took so many wickets but when he was given the chance he was mediocre to say the least. Compare that to Mohammad Aamer who was spotted by Wasim Akram in a pace competition and has made it big in few years since then without playing much domestic or first class cricket.

9. AHMAD\

AHMAD\ Youngsta Beauty

Jun 22, 2010
    Nope...Tanveer Ahmed is the more deserving one. PCB should have sent Imran Ali, Sohail Khan or Tabish Khan in place of Wahab Riaz. There is nothing extraordinary about him. He might utilize condition but I highly doubt he'll be successful. He seriously need to work hard with line and length to become a sort of 135+ mph bowler.

10. Yaser

Yaser Youngsta Beauty

Apr 8, 2010

And on the contrary most of the current crop bar those mentioned fit the 'talent' criteria with said mediocre First Class stats and the results are clear. Its ultimately a 'hit and hope' scenario, which carried Umar Akmal only so far, and has left the latest debutants seriously exposed.

The current English policy is to select on sustained performances at First Class or how well they've adapted to the A team.

The glaring examples would be Chris Schofield previously, and currently Rashid.

Both made their debuts at a similarly young age, the former discarded after being out of his depth, or more potently being unprepared for international cricket. Rashid could well have gone the same way but His performances are very good at the A level and with Swann occupying the spinner's role, the hierarchy seem intent on rectifying a past mistake without the need to rush Him in.

Swann Himself was selected young, older than the other duo but still young, wasn't prepared for imternational cricket, performed at the First Class level and is now arguably the premier bowler, if not all-round cricketer, in the world at the present who spearheaded England's charge to the World T20 success.

As for the man in question, He's been successful with the A team - compared to Sohail I don't know but suspect more - so deserves the chance, though the choice as both are debutants isn't clear.

Sami is an infamously succesfully domestic bowler whose Test average surpass that of a very good batsmen, so maybe that will sway the ultimate decision.

11. Yaser

Yaser Youngsta Beauty

Apr 8, 2010
    Its usually the 150+ kmh bowlers that struggle with line and length, whilst those that focus on it or extract the most out of conditions such as Anderson and Gul bowl around 135 - which is fairly average for most Pak pacemen anyway . . except Asif who's a prime example of how using sheer skill opposed to speed - one of the slowest pacers around - is ample.

12. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
    So far so good from Wahab Riaz. 2 wickets on debut. Keep it up young man.

@ Disco Lemonade:

Umar Akmal wasn't selected based on talent alone. He was selected after a fantastically successful tour of Australia.

He pummeled Australia A on that tour with centuries left, right and center.

His domestic stats were pretty good as well before he joined up with the A team

As I speak Wahab picks up another one. Pietersen this time. What a beauty!

Wahab isn't looking like a so called sifarshi now is he? :D

13. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    llol and we all critise wahab.

14. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
    Wahab has another one!

Morgan gone. Wahab 4 for 16 on debut.

Good bowling from Riaz.

15. Yaser

Yaser Youngsta Beauty

Apr 8, 2010
    He resembles Zaheer both in looks and has a very similar action. During the last test He was a dead-ringer with the beard. Hopefully the career will be better than Zaks , though he's been very succsessful on his own merit.

There is a very Gulesque problems with no-balls which needs rectifying.

16. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    He becomes 9th Paksitani bowler to take 5fer on a debut;

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

But if you look at previous 8, none of them had really long test careers.
    Code:
    Bowler       		Tests    Wickets
    Arif Butt     		   3        14
    Mohammad Nazir		  14        34
    Shahid Nazir                15        36
    Mohammad Zahid               5        15
    Shahid Afridi               27        48
    Mohammad Sami               34        84
    Shabir Ahmed                10        51
    Yasir Arafat                 3         9
    Lets see if Wahab Riaz can break the trend!

But... in any case, very well bowled.

17. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
    A 5 wicket haul against a decent England line up on what is supposedly a batting pitch bodes very well for Wahab.

Lets hope he puts further pressure on Gul for that 3rd seamers spot.

18. pakcricketfan

pakcricketfan Youngsta Beauty

Jul 9, 2010
    TBH, I wasn't really in favour of Wahab's selection in the first place because he had a poor domestic season and I felt that his selection was injustice to the top performers of the season. Also, his outstanding performances with Pakistan A happened almost 12 months ago!
    So I wasn't really convinced. BUT I'm happy that Wahab proved his selection right and me wrong! :)

You made a valid point about Wahab being a better choice as he has experience with the A team in foreign conditions- something that all the other contenders lack (except Talha).

19. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
    Yes but Wahab also has good performances with the A team under his belt unlike Talha who decided to change his action in between the tours IIRC.

20. pakmufc

pakmufc Guest

Well he silenced all those that questioned his selection for now. The question is, can he continue or is he a 1 test wonder?
    As they were both looking to make their debuts, I personally would have chose him over Tanvir and a lot of it has to do with age. I believe Tanvir is 35 and Wahab 25? We will get more out of Wahab over the next few years than we would out of Tanvir. We need to look at the bigger picture.
    I hope it also gives Gul a kick on the backside knowing that he has some competition for that 3rd seamer spot.

21. pakcricketfan

pakcricketfan Youngsta Beauty

Jul 9, 2010
    Talha, too has had a few good performances with the A team here and there.. But he is not consistent enough.
    His a good bowler IMO..if only he could find ONE action and stick to it!
    The guy has had 3 different actions up till now! He and NCA are really having a hard time coming up with an action that wouldn't cut down his pace and keep him injury-free at the same time!

22. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
    Well he has another chance now with the tri series and 4 day games in Sri Lanka.

23. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    As much as I want Pakistan to win the next test I think Amir should be given a rest. Our batsman havent made it easy for the bowlers and if he continues to bowl he will get injured. Tanvir Ahmed should also be given a chance to prove himself in his place.

As for Wahab Riaz being selected is a matter of opinion. He has been on the brink of selection for a long time and he did take the opportunity with both hands in the 1st innings. We have some good bowling reserves like Mohammad Talha, Sohail Khan, Sohail Tanvir, Mohammad Irfan, Aizaz Cheema etc who should all be given chances in the Pakistan A games.

It doesnt hurt to be spoilt for choice, the only thing we need to look at is can these bowlers field or at some point replace our batsman which Gul, Aamer, Ajmal and Wahab have all done for us so far as well as take wickets lol :D

24. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    Tanvir is 31 lol

25. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
    Thats very subjective especially if you've never seen them bowl.

26. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    I do watch Pakistani domestic cricket when i get the chance so have seen all these players bowl :p

27. pakmufc

pakmufc Guest

You know what i mean though?

28. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    Yh but 31 isnt too old, Looking at Australia's bowling pace attack they average around 30 age wise. Nannes is one of their better bowlers and he is 34. Harris just made his debut a few months and has been been brilliant but he is also a similar age to Tanvir.

We have a habit of bringing in youngsters that have raw talent but then we drop them after a couple of months if they dont bowl like Wasim Akram. We should also try some more experienced players who with their experience can do well and can last for a few years. If Tanvir bowls well he could still play for another 4 years or so and looking at current pace bowlers only Gul has been playing for Pakistan for 4 years. He rightly deserves a chance after being the highest wicket taker at domestic level which tends to be the selection criteria in most countries.

29. LBW

LBW Youngsta Beauty

Jul 18, 2010
    He may have not deserved selection but he played well and now its wrong to drop him