Wahab, Umar Akmal, Shahzad and Iftikar called for Fitness Test

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Apr 9, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    @mirzaiqbal80: PCB's cricket selection committee has called four more cricketers for the fitness test. These are Wahab Riaz, Umer Akmal, Ahmed Shehzad and Iftikhar Ahmed.Pakistan's 15 members World Cup squad is expected to be announced on 18th April.

Hope Wahab is selected. He has the X factor and better option than Shinwari/Junaid etc to have in squad.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    The little old man who lives at the corner of my street also loves to play cricket, can we also send him for fitness test?

Seems like every lullo panjo, chota mota is going to give fitness test.

And for UA it should be called fatness test and not fitness test.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    I hope UA does not drink water before the fitness tests.

4. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    I would take a risk and send both Wahab and Umar to the WC. Both matchwinners on their day.

5. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    So was Afridi, maybe we can call him back too.The reason we kept a non performing afridi was that people believed that he was match winner on his day.

6. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    And usually all these choke in pressure situations in vital games and only shine in dead-rubber, which is of no use.

I have seen this pattern so many times that I have lost the count.

7. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Surprised to hear this from you. It's a very, very bad take.

Wahab hasn't been a match winner in a long time - leaks runs and cracks under pressure usually. We kept him in the side for too long after WC 2015 because of that one spell...that didn't even win us the game.

Umar, the less said the better. He's a crap batsman and has no longer got it. Plays too many dots and is a shady character.

8. Gotham Cronie

Gotham Cronie Youngsta Beauty

Jan 14, 2015
    Ridiculous. He's won several matches in recent times for the opposition.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Gotham Cronie

Gotham Cronie Youngsta Beauty

Jan 14, 2015
    Looks like fake news?

10. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    PCB has said this isn't true.

11. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    If u deep it, Afridi is probably still better than Imad and Shadab so it’s not a bad shout.

12. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Wahab was on song in PSL. He’s competing with Junaid/Shinwari, they two aren’t exactly match winners are they.

Umar has had a good PSL and just scored a couple of centuries (I think) in the Pakistan cup. We need some attacking batsmen in the squad and umar is one. Besides Fakhar, the top/middle order batting is predominantly filled with slow batters.

13. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    Imad is far more consistent as a batman than afridi, though imad is a nothing bowler.Shadab is still very young and is still developing.We lost someone like Imran Tahir to SA because he was never given any chance as guys like afridi were playing for Pak.Its a fact that except for brilliance in few matches, afridi achieved nothing.

14. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Wahab is always on song in PSL and then we see what happens in games. He bangs it in short again and again and again.

Umar is a clown and he couldn't pull together a single decent innings against Australia, where Abid, Haris, and Rizwan scored 100s.

15. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    We have too many accumulators, from Imam to Haris to Babar to Malik to Hafeez. You're not going to take a team full of accumulators to the WC and win in modern LOI cricket which is why we need to take Umar Akmal to the WC in spite of his failings. Depending on Fakhar, who won us Ct, to provide the lone spark in every game is bound to fail.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Whispering Death

Oct 5, 2014
    I am so done with players that have the "X factor" .. Its nothing but a fancy cool hero sounding name for players who perform once every ten innings and showcase some "swag"..

All these X factors, super stars, swags, attacking, angry are just cover for what they really are. Useless.

And there is a lot of X factor in the group of umar akmal, shahzad and wahab.

After the abundant reserves of the X factors we still wonder why we are a mediocre team.

17. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Pcb have denied this news.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• List
  18. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    People focus too much about what U Akmal does in domestics, we all know when he plays for Pakistan he is useless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Akmal, Shehzad expected to be called for a fitness test ahead of the World Cup

PCB Chairman, Ehsan Mani has approved management’s request to send an 18-man squad to the World Cup, as a result, Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad are expected to be called for a fitness test.

The selection committee has decided to call four more players for the fitness test, which will take place on April 15 and 17, ahead of the biggest cricketing event in the world. While the selection committee will have a meeting on April 15, 16 and 17.

Apart from Akmal and Shehzad, Wahab Riaz and Iftikhar Ahmed are also expected to take a fitness test for a spot in the World Cup squad.

According to sources, the selection committee will supervise the whole fitness test, Mohammad Hafeez and Imad Wasim have to clear the fitness test to get a berth in the squad.

On the other hand, fast bowler Mohammad Amir is likely to be in the initial squad, however, he will have to prove his worth during Pakistan’s one T20I and five-match ODI series, otherwise, Wahab Riaz would be a strong candidate to replace him.

The series against England in England will be essential for the World Cup preparations, the selectors are interested to try out new talent, Abid Ali and Mohammad Hasnain alongside the big-hitting batsman, Asif Ali.

The chief selector, Inzamam Ul Haq will announce Pakistan’s World Cup squad on April 18th. While the mega event will take place in England and Wales from May 30th to July 14th.

https://arysports.tv/akmal-shehzad-expected-called-fitness-test-ahead-world-cup/

20. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    LOL so they will include Wahab Riaz in the World Cup with zero international match practice? Not even going to give him the England series?

The last time he played limited overs cricket was against India in the Champions Trophy, 2 whole years back.

21. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    And those 100s led to how many wins? That's was some of the most selfish batting I've seen in a while.

22. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    It's not like Umar was batting at 150 SR trying to score quick hundreds - he got out in the same way he always does, heaving to mid-on. Point is that at least they piled on runs.

And idk, I didn't watch, but I really don't think Abid and Haris's 100s were that selfish. They were at nearly 100 SR - it's up to the later batsmen to score runs quickly. They're opening / coming in at 3.

23. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Piling runs at a slow pace is not good enough in modern LOIs as was clear in the way Aus made a joke out of chasing our totals. It is those last 20-30 runs that often make all the difference which doesn't require batting at 150%. Secondly, the batsman who can play aggressively and hit boundaries changes the other team's calculus as fielders are pushed back and singles/doubles become easier to come by for the batting team in addition to psychologically demoralizing the other team. You can't always quantify that in just individual scores. BTW, i agree that Abid looked really solid.

24. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    I have posted this theory before but to me it seems quite sound and reasonable.

Our most recent ICC trophy wins have a couple of things in common.

Firstly they were played in England. So is this world cup.

Secondly Ahmed Shezad was selected for the opening matches before being discarded. This happened in both the t20 and champions trophy.

Therefore to me it makes complete sense to select him in another ICC tournament being played in England, for the first match only before subsequently dropping him.

The selection and subsequent ousting of Ahmed Shezad is a critical part of our tournament success story.

25. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    In all seriousness - I never thought I'd say this but Wahab should be selected.

He can singlehandedly run through and intimidate an opposition.

He should be in the squad but only selected when the conditions are right and if there a back to the wall type situation where we need some xfactor.

26. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    The question is, is he still the bowler he was between 2010 and 2016?