Wahab - Why does he keep getting picked

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Saein, Mar 19, 2016.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    No variety, no brain. Why this guy keeps getting selected? Every time he comes to bowl, he lets the pressure of by bowling filth. His wrist issue is identified many years ago and the chap don't give a damn to improve his skills. Until this guy is in the playing eleven, don't expect Pakistan to do good in these tournaments.

2. Zeeraq

Zeeraq Talented

Apr 28, 2012
    Not a good option for LOIs should be kept for Tests only.

3. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Agreed. If he's been selected because of that spell against Aussies then someone should go and slap Waqar.

4. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Wahab has good spells now and then and switches on the passion now and then. It keeps him in the team until he looks like he might be dropped then the switch comes on again.

I'd much rather have a Junaid or a Sohail Khan playing here. Also I haven't seen him take a leader of the bowling attack role. He just gets on with his business.

5. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    For rest of the games we should play with Sami and Imad/Nawaz instead of Wahab

6. CricketFan96

CricketFan96 Smooth Operator

Aug 4, 2012
    Pakistani players don't learn.

When has Wahab ever won us a match? He either does half of the job or does really badly. But who is going to drop in when you have clowns running the place.

7. Zeeraq

Zeeraq Talented

Apr 28, 2012
    Sohail Khan could be a much better option for T20's and eventually in ODI's as well.

8. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    There's a real Dil Dil Pakistan attitude about Sohail that I've always liked. He seems to put everything into every ball and every spell.

9. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    He is like Hafeez, performs once and then gets picked a dozen times. Mediocre and rubbish most of the time, brilliant once in a while.

10. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Agree, I hope he gets a run instead of mediocre Wahab. Sohail is also pretty good at bowling yorkers and at death bowling.

11. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    hes not smart enough or adaptable enough, especially in these conditions, pak really need to swap wahab, irfan for nawaz, imad. better batsmen and fielders, its a no brainer really.

12. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    There are many questions that need asking..

13. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    He is just brainless. keep spraying short pitch and or wide boundary balls.

14. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    Imad should be playing instead of him today. but don't know why Waqar loves him so much.

15. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cornered Tiger

Oct 5, 2014
    Brainlessness is his greatest weakness..it's predictable at this point that batsmen are ready for it.. Pacy short ball. That is it. I was against him in t20 bcz I knew that's the length that you do not bowl in t20. Left handed pacy back of the length will get clobbered slog leg side style and that's exactly what's happening.. The thing is that he has no plan b. He is very dependent on plan A and while that may work in odi ( needs to develop batting and death bowling) and tests its doesn't work on t20 when batsmen are attacking you and want runs.

16. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    I was one of the few who wanted him out and i was attacked by aggressive wahab fans. I think they have got their answer now. One of the most over rated bowlers in the history of Pak cricket.

17. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    There's no better option available right now to be fair.
    A fit and in form Junaid with Amir would make a good combo. Until Junaid gets back to his best again Pakistan won't have a good line up I'm afraid.

18. Questioner

Questioner Talented

Jul 1, 2013
    You can't play Sami and Riaz in the same game.

19. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    The only team he can play is Model town gymkhana under Kamran Akma captaincy:)

20. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    It's ok putting your all in to a ball but I don't think he gets the ball to do much. His problem is that the few times I have seen him he's not got much out of the pitch or conditions and you can't always rely on Yorkers because inevitably his length will go off now and then and when you have nothing else going for you then you will get pummelled

21. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    He's fine for limited overs cricket, he's not going to do much in Tests in UAE.

However we're playing in seaming conditions for the next year and he will be a handful because he gets deceptive pace off the wicket.

22. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Mindless bowler. Don't get the obsession with back of the length bowling.
    You have wasim there Waqar and imran Khan yet u can't learn.. Lol ok

23. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Yeah your right. I just hope JK gets his groove back and Yasir develops his limited overs skills. Could be a good line up then

24. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    I have been against his selection in T20Is for quite some time (I will still support him for ODIs however) but the bigger question we must ask is what kind of things is Waqar teaching him?

Waqar Younis, one of the greatest bowlers of the yorker in history, certainly the pioneer of using it as a consistent weapon in Tests and yet it seems as if Wahab's length has gotten shorter and shorter over the years. We saw it in NZ where he was getting hit by tailenders, then in the Asia Cup and now in the World Cup.

If Waqar wants to capitalise on the potential that Riaz's pace provides, he needs to take him aside and give him an aggressive talking to.

25. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011
    Well first of all why leave tanvir aside, The guy performs well in every t20 league but not selected for pak team. Its all personal BS, that the captain and coach have their own personal agenda. This is the reason that our team is sinking. Sohail Tanvir is a far more superior t20 bowler than wahab and sami. We know that our spinners use to control the run rate ( like how indian spinners did ) but we are resting Imad wasim. Its the coach and Pentium 2 processor brain Afridi.

26. Top Spinner01

Top Spinner01 Tracer Bullet

Feb 27, 2013
    thread is about Wahab not Dale Steyn. ;)

27. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    He has never improved. Never.

28. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol. Battig fails against India &spinners fal on a turner.

Blame Wahab.

29. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    When did he get an upgrade?

30. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011

LOL ... Its an outdated technology ... In 19 years thats the only outdated version upgraded.

31. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011
    I dont believe that Lala saying we never read pitch condition, its raining !! you had ample time to check regardless you have to play one spinner atleast. go with the winning combo, Hafeez scored well, he should've gone one down. I still feel the game was in our hands, when 3 wickets fell, have we fielded tight, stop those singles and doubles.... Wahab is not a t20 player..... anyway we still are leading in the table. I FEEL THIS WAS A GLDEN CHANCE TO BREAK THIS BLOODY JINX!!! ... i read somewhere in the afternoon that imad wasim will be dropped and i felt like kicking myself!,

32. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    He is a good bowler but had an off day today.

33. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    He has too many off days, kinda like like Hafeez

34. shainz

shainz Talented

Apr 8, 2012
    Sohail tanveer is better bowler than wahab riaz at least he has lot of variations up his sleeve

35. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    In the team based on two overs he bowled to Watson last year. I don't understand what is our obsession with pace and aggression, even at that time not like his pace and aggression won us anything but just because he looked good he has had the license to be in the team.

Then again you cannot really fault him. Our captain awesome himself has been in the team for 20 years based on once in a year performances.

36. Hamaad Manzoor

Hamaad Manzoor Youngsta Beauty

Mar 17, 2016
    I wish that spell against Watson had never happened