Waqar misses out on Australia job

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Jul 25, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

Waqar Younis is no longer in contention to become Australia's new bowling coach after being turned down this week following an interview. Cricket Australia is searching for a replacement for Craig McDermott, who vacated the position in May, and Waqar was keen to take on the position and work with Australia's emerging crop of fast bowlers.

The Tasmania bowling coach Ali de Winter is another contender for the role and was given the chance to audition as the stand-in mentor on the recent one-day tour of England. Interviews for the job did not take place until after the squad returned from that trip and Waqar said on Wednesday he was no longer in the running.

"I was interested but it didn't work out between me and Cricket Australia," Waqar told ESPNcricinfo.
    "It didn't really work out. They did interview me. I guess what I'm offering and what they're looking at are two different things. I don't know, I haven't really asked them the details but that's how it stands at the moment. It has just been in the last couple of days."

Waqar took 373 Test wickets for Pakistan during a 14-year career and was considered a master exponent of reverse swing, and has since then served as bowling mentor and head coach of Pakistan. Now based in Sydney, Waqar said he remained keen to become involved in coaching in Australia in some capacity.

"I'll probably be looking to get into the system here in Australia and do some work here, maybe with the younger guys," he said. "The whole [Cricket Australia] talk has just finished now so I've probably got to start thinking about different things.

"I'm coaching one of the franchises for the Sri Lankan Premier League and then I've got the Twenty20 World Cup, I'm going to be doing commentary, studio work back in Dubai. I'm pretty full-on in the next few months."

Waqar was the highest-profile candidate to publicly declare his interest in replacing McDermott, who delivered impressive results before quitting after only one year in the job. James Pattinson, one of Australia's most promising young fast bowlers, said during the England tour that he would like a former Test player to be handed the position, but whether that happens remains to be seen.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/s/showP...e&itemTitle=Waqar misses out on Australia job

2. SA123

SA123 Talented

Jul 23, 2012
    Would have been good for Australia, but not for us, facing them soon.

3. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Interview probably let him down ( see Waqar Younis commentary threads for examples :p)

Realistically, Waqar has sound cricketing knowledge but I dont think he is fully aware of the modern mediums for transferring that knowledge. Cricket Australia probably want an innovative coach who can implement new ideas and techniques to drive the team forward. Waqar doesn't seem like that kind of coach IMO.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 5
    • List
  4. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Tough luck, but as DeadlyVenom pointed out, its the innovation and probably the play cautious/defensive mindset that he lacks that could have got the refusal. If he had that bit working for him, he might still have been with Pakistan.

5. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Apr 26, 2011
    Waqar was an outstanding player but he is no where near a good coach. Very good decision by CA.

6. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Yes exactly.

7. Saein

Saein Smooth Operator

Sep 4, 2010
    CA like any other professional set up makes decision on job skills not on personalities. Btw why Waqar was applying for bowling coach job, when he denied similar proposal /position for pakistan cricket team. Lol his ego only applies when dealing with his native country pakistan. Typical licking gorra sahib personality:facepalm

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  8. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
    Not all great players are great coaches so good job by CA.

9. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    Following the incident last year, between afridi and waqar, i dont think CA wanted something like that to make one of their players to go on conditional retirement...

10. munirnadeem

munirnadeem Emerging Player

Aug 9, 2011
    Only in Pakistan can these guys get a job as the main Coach.

11. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Waqar has said it many times, that now as he lives in australia, he wants to take the coaching job there...

Had he been pakistani coach, he would have to spend alot of his time in pak then with his family...

12. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Whatmore and Fountain arent Pakistani either.

13. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    But whatmore and fountain dont really have a problem ib staying away from family for long

14. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011

:facepalm

15. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Yar tum har time facepalm q kartey rah tey ho?? Mujhe confuse kar dey tey ho

16. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    I know this thread is bit old but from what I hear Waqar was a great coach. I was recently in Pakistan and heard this from couple of guys who knew what was going on behind the scenes. It seems it was the player power that kind of caused waqar to quit his job with the PCB and PCB being a very unprofessional body.

I don't think waqar was at fault and I believe it is cricket Australia who is at loss not Waqar.

• List
  17. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Now adays, everyone pretends that they know whats goin on behind the scenes

• List
  18. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Why do you think that all the blame lies on waqar and nothing on afridi?

19. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    I don't think it is all about Waqar vs Afridi...it has more to do with PCB being a very unprofessional in their handling of matters even though players were involved the fault end of the day lies with the PCB who is their employer.

20. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    ^^ intokhab alam's name comes into my mind

21. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    Im not saying it all lies on waqar, but its waqar whos going for the job here not afridi

22. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    What is wrong with applying for a job? didn't whatmore apply for the job the first time around and not get it?

23. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    Feather

Absolutely nothing. Its usually people with no jobs and not even a prospect of a job in the near future that find faults in applying for a job.

24. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Invictus sad as it is...this isn't just how one person thinks. It seems to me most Pakistanis think that way. Somehow applying for a job and being rejected isn't handled well. All of a sudden it becomes a matter of being 'barra chota' or 'izzat'.

He lives in Australia and he has a service to offer. I have no doubt in my mind he will get a job with one of the states. I do not have children but I do not find anything wrong with the fact you want to be close to them. With PCB you can never be sure if you have a job today if you will have a job the next day. I am sorry but there is no way I would put up with that if my family was involved and it is good of waqar to leave the role himself.

• List
  25. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    hahaha that's pretty standard behavior among us.

Besides the points you raised there is also another issue. The number of jobs available at the international level are very limited and the competition is intense. Qualified coaches, ex-players, legends of the game all compete for the same handfull of positions. The hiring boards also want to hire a guy at this level with some type of track record since its a position where they can't take any risk. This makes the positions available to you that much scarce. That is why you see people like Gillespie going to Zim to coach in a T-20 league. So if a position comes available you have to go for it.
    If I had the choice I won't work for the PCB either. All this country and loyalty talk is easy but when you are put in completely stupid positions at work through no fault of your own day in and day out without any regard for your well being how long will you put up with it ? He has a family to raise and kids to feed. Kids on the internet with opinions don't put money in his bank account. It's a game at the end of the day that is it. He has to do what is good for him and his family.

26. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010

I was even a bit surprised.. pleasantly surprised even when he did take the jon in 2010 after being treated very unfairly by PCB in late 2006. There used to be a video on YT between Salim Altaf and Younis which now has been taken down.