Waqar, Wasim, and Yasir nominated for Pakistan Civil Awards

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Mar 11, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Former Pakistan captains Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram, and leg-spinner Yasir Shah have all been nominated for Civil Awards by the Pakistan government.

ICC Hall of Famers Waqar and Wasim, who were each recognised in the Pride of Performance awards during their playing days, will be conferred with the Hilal-e-Imtiaz, Pakistan’s second-highest civilian award, while Yasir will be bestowed the Sitara-e-Imtiaz, the third-highest civilian award.

Wasim and Waqar, who sit at Nos. 2 and 3 on the all-time ODI wicket-taker’s list, broke many records during their playing career, both individually and as one of cricket’s most fearsome new and old-ball pairings. They have been recognised not just for their feats on the cricket field, but for their work since retiring as commentators and broadcasters.

Yasir has only played 35 Tests and 19 ODIs, but has arguably already joined them in the pantheon of Pakistani greats. Against New Zealand last year, he became the fastest bowler, in terms of matches played, to take 200 Test wickets. He holds the record for the best figures by a Pakistan spinner – 14/184 v New Zealand.

“The three are deserving recipients,” quoted a release from the Pakistan Cricket Board. “Wasim and Waqar are highly-respected commentators and have played their role in enhancing the image of Pakistan and cricket as broadcasters, while Yasir has had a lion’s share in Pakistan’s major Test wins in the recent past.”

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1093955

2. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Wasim, Waqar grateful to receive Hilal-e-Imtiaz

[​IMG]
    Pakistan’s former captain, Wasim Akram is grateful to receive Hilal-e-Imtiaz for his priceless services for his country in the field of cricket.

The living legend received the prestigious award on the Pakistan Resolution Day, March 23, for which he is thankful for the people who believed in him.

The Sultan of Swing took Twitter to express his gratitude for being honoured by the government of Pakistan.

“I would not have received without the love and strength of the people who believed in me right to the end,” he wrote. “I’m am so grateful to accept this award and I am honoured that I could serve my country to the best of my ability.”

Here it is, the award I would not have received without the love and strength of the people who believed in me right to the end. I’m am so grateful to accept this award and I am honoured that i could serve my country to the best of my ability #HilaleImtiaz pic.twitter.com/OWsyS5DOwv

— Wasim Akram (@wasimakramlive) March 24, 2019

Waqar Younis, the other part of the tear away fast bowling pair called two W’s, also received the award on the same day.

On the other hand, Waqar Younis thanked Pakistan and dedicated the award to the heroes and victim of Christchurch.

Thank you Pakistan for the honor of Hilal-I-Imtiaz on the prestigious #PakistanDay.

I am dedicating it to the victims & heroes of #ChristChurch and to PM @jacindaardern for setting new standard of harmony & love. May multicultural understanding and humanity prevails #Peace pic.twitter.com/YxM73wQi6I

— Waqar Younis (@waqyounis99) March 24, 2019

The two W’s have been regarded as one of the most lethal bowling pairs of all time, who change the course of the game within a spell.

https://arysports.tv/wasim-akram-grateful-to-receive-hilal-e-imtiaz/