Warne asks to move IPL from India

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Princ3_CharmiN, Feb 18, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Princ3_CharmiN

Princ3_CharmiN Guest

SYDNEY: Shane Warne says threats of a terrorist attack have him "thinking twice" about playing in this year's Indian Premier League, reports said on Thursday.

Fresh security worries have surfaced ahead of the field hockey World Cup later this month in New Delhi, the Twenty20 cricket tournament in March-April and October's Commonwealth Games.

The developments have prompted the Australian legspin great to urge the organisers of the IPL to consider moving the tournament if threats of a terrorist attack are proven to be credible.

"The threats have certainly got me thinking twice and is of deep concern to athletes across a number of sports," Warne told the British daily.

"If the threats are proven to be real, then organisers of the IPL may look at moving the tournament.

"We moved it last year at short notice and it can be done and there is no way organisers will risk the safety of players and officials."

South Africa remains the most viable option as they hosted the IPL last year due to safety concerns in India relating to the country's general election.

"I love the country and I'm committed to the Royals but obviously if I'm given the advice (that) it's unsafe that will prompt a serious rethink," Warne said.

http://thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=98957

I wounder what will happen if there is some sort of blast in the middle of ipl?

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I think it's too late to reschedule the IPL now and I hope it goes ahead without any incidents. That doesn't mean I'll be watching it tho. The fact that in England, the home of cricket, not a single channel bought the rights to show it on TV is the real indication of how popular this tournament is outside India.

They're having to show it for free on youtube so what does that say?

3. 12thman

12thman Youngsta Beauty

Feb 15, 2010
    That's actually a good point raised there, if the IPL was a global success Sky tv and other broadcasters would be rushing to get the highest bid in. Had youtube paid them for the rights then it would have shown that the IPL is becoming a success. But this is a desperate ploy for Modi and Co to show hide the fact IPL isn't a global success to prevent investors from not showing any interest in the league.

4. Princ3_CharmiN

Princ3_CharmiN Guest

The only people who really watch ipl are Indians weather they are inside India or out side. There are billion people in India and ipl will make some sort of money off of them not to say huge money. Who really wants to watch 2/3 stars in the playing 11 and rest are just taken of the streets of India. Only international players are being payed some good money and rest of those 7/8 players in the playing 11 are probably payed few thousand.

Indian isn't what they put up on tvs, I want people to see the real colors of India. Am not saying something should happen during ipl, but God for bid it does then India will taste their own medicine. India have been and are still trying to destroy cricket in Pakistan.

5. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Cricistan's Pehlwan

Feb 17, 2010
    Ehsan Mani was absolutely villified for saying that India was unsafe for international cricketers participating in the forthcoming IPL.

Maybe the organisers will be more willing to listen to the white skinned non-Pakistani that is Shane Warne. They're more likely to sit up and take notice then they would if the comment had come from a Pakistani/Sri Lankan/ Bangladeshi.