Warner century helps Australia clinch series win

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by hazharoon, Jan 22, 2017.

Warner century helps Australia clinch series win

by Haroon Ahmed
Jan 22, 2017 at 6:41 PM
  1. hazharoon

hazharoon Youngsta Beauty

Mar 10, 2016
    david-warner7595.jpg

Game analysis

Change of captains, but no change of fortune. Pakistan ODI captain, Azhar Ali returned today, but the toss result was the same. Australia won the toss, and elected to bat. That’s 4/0 to the hosts in that regard.

I watched the first two overs and immediately tweeted ‘this is a 350+ pitch’. The pitch looked as flat as a pancake. A flat pitch combined with a quick outfield is the perfect recipe to a 350+ score.

Usman Khawaja and David Warner took strike to start the innings. Mohammed Hafeez was the Pakistani opening bowler.

I thought the decision of bowling the first over with a spinner was a poor one. Although Hafeez has generally done well against left-handers, I believed the best chance for Pakistan to pick up wickets with the new ball was with the pacers.

Junaid Khan and Mohammed Amir have been bowling wonderfully throughout the series; why not give them the maximum opportunity to exploit their good form? Azhar should have at least given the first over to a pacer to see if there was movement early on, if their wasn’t, he could have given the second to Hafeez. He didn’t, and as a result it set a defensive tone to the innings. It also meant that when Junaid eventually came on to bowl, he was in a defensive state of mind after Hafeez had gone at 7 runs per over.

I also didn’t agree with the field placing’s on Hafeez’s bowling. He bowled the opening over to two un-set batsman yet there was a long off in place for both. An easy single was allowed down the ground. It’s defensive captaincy, which allowed the batsmen to get set. Warner did, and made the Pakistani bowlers pay.

The powerful left-hander loves the Sydney pitch. He scored a test hundred at the SCG on day 1 before lunch, and today motored himself to 130. He partnered with his captain Steve Smith to put on 120 runs for the second wicket.

Late cameos from Maxwell and Head eventually propelled Australia to 353. Along the way, they were given many free passages. The Pakistani fielding was atrocious with several catches going down. In addition to the missed chances, the ground fielding was terrible.

I remember in Amir’s second over, he bowled four dot balls to Usman Khawaja. The fifth delivery should have been another dot ball, but instead was fumbled by the fielder, which allowed an easy single. The sixth delivery eventually went for four. It’s little things like this that make a difference. This was very early on in the game, and it set the tone for the whole innings.

Chasing 353 was always going to be a tough ask. Things started off on a bad note as captain Azhar Ali nicked to slip in the second over. The in form Babar Azam joined the belligerent Sharjeel Khan at the crease. The pair put on 73 for the second wicket at over a run a ball, until Babar skied one to the deep. Hafeez demoted down the order to number #4 came in and looked at ease right away. Meanwhile, Sharjeel continued his form blasting the Australian bowlers to all parts. To chase such a total, it was imperative Sharjeel gets going, as he is the only free-scoring dominant batsman in the team.

Sharjeel got going, but eventually lost his wicketin the 17th over just as Pakistan were building momentum. Ex-captain Malik joined Hafeez at the wicket. Hafeez was looking positive and rotated strike well, but I felt the pressure of dot balls from the other end resulted in him losing his wicket. After the Sharjeel blitz, the game should have been manageable. The Hafeez-Malik partnership was to blame. At the time of its departure, it was the slowest partnership of the match striking at 4.90 runs per over.

Umar Akmal arrived at the crease with the RR close to 8.5. Once again, he came in with a difficult task. When is he going to get a chance up the order? What made it worse was he had a lethargic partner at the other end that was in no mood to score. An uncharacteristic innings from Shoaib Malik, a man who I feel generally calculates chases well.

The lower order failed yet again, but came in under extremely difficult circumstances. Imad showed intent, whilst Rizwan failed, again.

I thought the placement of fielders by Azhar was particularly poor. Sharjeel, not known for his athleticism was fielding along the boundary in the death overs. He was then moved to point, a position held for the best fielder in the team. Azhar has held the ODI captain position for over a year, yet isn’t aware of such basic flaws. As I mentioned earlier, it’s the little things.

In the end, Pakistan lost the opportunity to win the ODI series and gave away a 3-1 lead. The final game on Thursday will be a dead rubber, and hopefully the last time we see some faces in the Pakistan jersey.

Player ratings

Sharjeel Khan – 8/10

After a 50 in the previous game, Sharjeel continued his form and blasted his way through to 74. When the bowlers bowled short, he pulled them. When they bowled full, he drove them. It was the kind of innings Pakistan needed to even have a sniff at chasing the total down. It lasted longer then his previous innings, but sadly not long enough to cause Australia any problems. It was an entertaining innings while it lasted, but to be considered as one of the elite batsmen, these are the kind of innings you must expand on.

Azhar Ali – 2/10

Azhar played his second game of the ODI leg after returning from a hamstring injury. He made sure his presence was felt, but not in a positive manner. His bowling option decisions, field placing’s and overall captaincy was extremely poor. Add to that, his batting failed. With every game that goes by, Azhar is proving he is not ODI captain material.

Babar Azam – 6/10

Babar Azam yet again looked a million dollars. He played a straight drive early on in his innings, which demonstrated his good form. It’s a shot that he’s trademarked. His innings at one stage was looking impressive as he rotated strike well. Once again, he got bogged down and threw his wicket away. His lack of ability to rotate strike against the spinners is a glaring issue in his game. It is the one factor that can stop him becoming a great batsman. He didn’t play the situation well today. His partner hit a six a few balls prior to him deciding to play a slog sweep to the leg side, despite a fielder being placed there.

Mohammad Hafeez – 6.5/10

Relived of the captaincy duties, Hafeez entered the wicket with Pakistan 88-2. He started off positively rotating strike with the odd boundary. The demotion in order looked to favour Hafeez as he was away from the moving new ball. I feel his game is suited to the lower order. He is a brilliant player of spin bowling, and he will face a lot of it at these positions. I feel he lost his wicket today due to his partner creating a lot of pressure on him.

Shoaib Malik – 5/10

In a nutshell, it was a very poor innings from Malik, probably the worst since his comeback in 2015. He hit the odd boundary, but in between let immense pressure build upon him and his partners due to a lack of strike rotation. He let the run rate get out of hand. His strike-rate was low, but he hit a few boundaries at the end to compensate for that. In the end, it ended with a leg side slog caught on the boundary off an off-spinner. It was an innings ever so reminiscent of ex ODI captain Misbah ul-Haq. I was very surprised with the way he batted, as chases are an area where Malik usually excels in. He is however allowed to have the odd bad game, and this was the exception, rather then the norm since his comeback in 2015.

Umar Akmal – 4/10

Umar once again entered the crease with a difficult target. When will he get the chance to bat up the order, as his peers have gotten numerous times? Yes he played poor, but he’s extremely unlucky to enter the crease under such situations almost every time. His game is designed for top order batting. Umar has demonstrated numerous times during the course of his career that he cannot calculate a chase. He simply doesn’t have the cricketing IQ for such an art. He’s not calm and calculative under pressure situations as the likes of Dhoni, Hussey & Bevan were. Umar is a dynamic batsman, and one of very few in Pakistan at the moment. His batting has regressed tremendously, but still deserves to be in the team, due to a lack of other options.

Mohammed Rizwan – 3/10

It was a similar story for the stand in keeper. Rizwan kept well and took two neat catches behind the stumps, but his batting let himself down once again. He looks awful against spin and hasn’t improved since he’s joined the Pakistani ranks. He at this point is not worthy of being called an international batsman.

Imad Wasim – 5/10

Imad had another poor game. His bowling seems to have been worked out by the Australian batsmen. His over-reliance on the arm ball is hurting him as he’s become way too predictable. He must learn the art of spinning the ball. He played a short cameo at the end of the innings, which demonstrated his all-round ability.

Mohammed Amir – 4/10

It wasn’t the best of games for Amir. He has played a lot of cricket the past year or so and I believe he deserves a rest. His bowling performance at Sydney was the worst figures he’s ever registered.

Hasan Ali – 8.5/10

Unlike his fellow pace-men, Hasan registered his best bowling performance. He took a 5-fer on an extremely flat pitch showing his versatility and strength as a bowler. His death bowling skills are extremely impressive and will play a big role for Pakistan in future. He deserved a 10/10, if not for his fielding. He dropped several catches today, which was surprising as he’s usually a safe pair of hands.

Junaid Khan – 3/10

Junaid alongside his U-19 partner Amir both registered their worst ever ODI figures. He went at over 8 runs per over in a wicket less effort. He did however yet again have a few chances dropped off his bowling, which would have resulted in better figures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2017
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      Clinical performance from Australia.
      @hazharoon you need to stop backing Umar. Some people just don't learn...

2. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
      terrible performance by 90% of the team. another good write-up @hazharoon

The target was a huge one but with the start sharjeel got us off to it was not impossible on that pitch.

3. hazharoon

Mar 10, 2016
      Maybe am a bit biased to him, but he's the only batsman in this team capable of rotating strike with ease whilst able to hit the big shot. Who else can?

Sharjeel hits well but can't rotate.

Hafeez always gets bogged down. Check his SR.

Azhar, less said the better.

Babar can't rotate against spin.

Sarfaraz cant hit big vs pacers.

Rizwan. Terrible against everything.

Asad. #lols

and so on........

Umar is the only one in Pakistan.

4. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
      Umar struggles to rotate strike against spin just as much as Babar. He has been especially poor against left arm spin and leg spinners. Struggles to hit big against them as well. That painful knock against Sodhi and Santner last year comes to mind. That's why if theres anywhere he should bat is at the top of the order where he is more comfortable playing the pacers.

5. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
      People talk about misbah but azhar,malik,hafeez and babar all are crap in middle overs. Pakistsn can afford one of thee kind 0

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

6. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
      Only batsmen who fit the bill for ODIs from this Pakistan team are Sharjeel, Sarfraz and Babar. Rest are just pathetic.
      Even Sarfraz though is very unreliable, he throws away his wicket very often. His batting is average at best. However even average will do for Pakistan at this moment in time

7. hazharoon

Mar 10, 2016
      Agreed. But that's the biggest problem our team have. All upcoming batsmen are top order batsmen.

8. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
      Umar is a proven rubbish. yet u say he has the tools of power hitting so thats y he shud b retained. lol. to hell with the tools if he cant use it. He shud b axed. Give other youngsters some chances and he will b eventually forgotten for sure.

9. hazharoon

Mar 10, 2016
      I watch domestic cricket.

I can't find anyone in PAK who has the ability to hit the ball big.

Only ones really are Hammad and a few openers, Ahsan Ali, Shahzaib etc.

10. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      Give them chances. Umar must b axed.

11. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      Isn't Ahsan Ali a classical opener ?
      Wouldn't say he is a big hitter.

We could take a punt with Shahzaib at 6.

12. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
      No.6 should belong to a technically and mentally tough player.

A player who can change gears if he comes in last 10 overs, gives you quick fire [email protected] or above, can clear the rope at will and take your teams total from 230 to 320.

Moreover, its duty of your no.6 to bail you out from a situation of 170-5 in 30 overs. He should bat till 50th over to make sure that teams total reaches to 280 or above.

That the reason why AUS, ENG and IND have players like Maxwell, Stokes and Jadhav etc.

I'll let you decided if Shahzaib falls in the same tier or not :).

13. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
      He's a free flowing batsman. If he could get it together, he'd be the ideal partner for Sharjeel. But he doesn't know his strengths and weaknesses yet hence the inconsistency.

14. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
      Lower order from 5-8 never operate alone, they need reliable partners just like the top order. If you bank on one player to deliver in every game for you, he's bound to fail because of the risk involved. Every team has 3-4 reliable lower order strikers which gives leeway for failure.

15. hazharoon

Mar 10, 2016
      No he is a big hitter. Well, I'd say he is similar to Sehwag. Not a slogger, but has the power to clear the rope and score quickly. Hasn't matured.

16. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
      Yes, but one player has to be core of your lower-middle order. Others would have to bat around him and support him but again, he has to be either in situation of 230-240 in 38-40 over mark OR in case of a collapse when your team will crumble at 160-5 in about 28-30 overs. You're no.6 becomes even more imperative when you're chasing 300+ score. This was the point I was trying to make and raised the question - can Shahzaib be that player for us?

17. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      Its not like we're brimming with options tbh.

18. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
      I know, we've dearth of clutch players, specially big hitters in lower middle order.

If Shahzaib performs well in PSL, then he should be given a go, if not in ODI then in T20 at least to partner with Sharjeel. He can't do worse then other openers we've tried. But certainly not the ideal for no.6.

Maybe Umar can be tried for WI series and if shows not even iota of improvement, then he should may way for somebody else. Million dollar question is, who this somebody can be - I don't know but maybe Yamin or Hammad can be tried. Because I don't see any other player in domestic who can hit big.

19. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
      Not necessarily.

I don't know if Shahzaib can be that player but if he'd fare much better at 5-6 than at the top in the long run.

20. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
      That's your opinion.

21. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
      Do you mean tried at number 6?

If you do, we brought back Umar Akmal for the West Indies series in 2013 after the Champions Trophy too.

It's 2017 now and he still hasn't secured his spot in the team....

What does that tell us?

22. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
      Tell us that we've dearth of players at no.6, which suppose to be your finisher.

Tell us that we don't have big hitters who can clear the ropes at will and when team needs.

23. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      And the most important thing it tells us is that some people never learn...

24. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
      How do you know? Newer Pakistani Cricketers grew up in the T20 era and idolizing Afridi...

You mean to tell me there isn't ONE out of so many cricketers in our domestic setup that can't hammer the ball?

You're crazy if you want to "try" Umar Akmal once again..

It hasn't been working for so long, why the hell would it work now?

25. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016

How do you know? Newer Pakistani Cricketers grew up in the T20 era and idolizing Afridi...

You mean to tell me there isn't ONE out of so many cricketers in our domestic setup that can't hammer the ball?

Maybe there is an army of lower order hard-hitting players who grew up in T20 era and 'idolizing Afridi', but apparently whenever I see domestic One day or any T20 tournament I never witness any such player(s). All I see wild sloggers like Afridi, who hit to boundaries and ditch their team in a back hole. If you've seen players who can hammer the ball and are roaming on streets of Pakistan then would you care elaborate some names?

You're crazy if you want to "try" Umar Akmal once again..

It hasn't been working for so long, why the hell would it work now?

This is why I said, he can be given another series against WI and if he doesn't fare the boot him out. I like to see if under Mickey's watch he can prove his worth.

26. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
      Why would you, you're too focused on giving Umar Akmal multiple chances at the same spot he still hasn't secured in almost 8 years now.

Shahzaib Hasan and Khalid Latif come to mind..

If we are giving Umar a chance then it should be in place of Azhar at the top opening.

27. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
      Yes, because I still believe that he can be given at least one last chance. When the likes of Hackfeez, Malik and Azhar can have such a long leeway then he can be give one last series - of course it will be subject of how he performs in PSL plus his fitness.

And I'm sorry but I don't buy this logic of slotting openers at no.6 and vise versa, as you suggested for Umar.

28. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      It worked wonders for Rohit Sharma & Dilshan...

29. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
      Piyar Ahson, please compare the said players with ours.

30. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      Might be worth a shot.

31. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
      I'm all in for it, but you and I we both know it isn't going to happen. In Pakistan cricket we don't look "out of the box".

32. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
      Excellent post, and a good answer to those who wanna try this TTF U Akmal again and again.

33. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
      8 years isn't good enough?

You didn't know know Dilshan, Sharma, Sehwag etc would be as dangerous as they are/were at the top before they were put into the opening slot... Nobody knew.

How can you say for certain it won't work for Umar?

Having Umar at the top is the only reason Pakistan should persist with him.

No more number 6, because he's a failure at that number.

34. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016

8 years isn't good enough?

Already has said enough on it, so not going to beat the bush anymore.

You didn't know know Dilshan, Sharma, Sehwag etc would be as dangerous as they are/were at the top before they were put into the opening slot... Nobody knew.

How can you say for certain it won't work for Umar?

Having Umar at the top is the only reason Pakistan should persist with him.

No more number 6, because he's a failure at that number

Refer to post # 32.