Wasim Akram reveals PCB fitness tests’ reality

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Jan 16, 2017.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Bowling legend Wasim Akram on Friday revealed a funny incident of how fitness tests of players are carried out by Pakistan Cricket Board .

“I had a fitness test back in 2000,” said Wasim. “I had a problem in my groin and they were checking my shoulder. They asked me to throw the ball. I was thinking what is the relation of throwing a ball with my groin? I threw the ball out of the stadium. They told me I was alright; no one checked my groin.”

The incident came to light during the post-match analysis on PTV Sports of the first ODI which Pakistan lost to Australia by 92 runs.

The former left-arm pacer was accompanied by former Pakistan fast-bowler Shoaib Akhtar, former captain Rashid Latif and former batsman Mohammad Wasim.

Shoaib, on the point of highlighting the real problem with Pakistan cricket, said that Mohammad Irfan, the towering fast-bowler, who had to return to the country because of his mother’s death, was not completely fit for the Australia series.

“I saw Irfan in Lahore and told him he was not fit,” said Shoaib. “If I could discover that in half an hour then anyone can. He gave his fitness trial after being selected in the squad for Australia. And they were using the same redundant techniques for checking his fitness.”

Shoaib also said that the problem lies within the system of the PCB and not in players. The performance on the field is just a reflection of how bad things are in the board.

“We still have the same trainers; the mindset is the same. You cannot improve things like this. I can see things deteriorating from here onwards. I didn’t want to say this but I am totally hopeless,” he said.

“Inspiration will provide you with talent till a certain point. If you do not have a system after that, if you do not have fairness, there is no justice, then average people start taking over and talent starts to disappear,” he added.

Wasim then highlighted right-hand batsman Umar Akmal and all-rounder Imad Wasim’s withering fitness.

“I observed that Umar was not fit,” said Wasim. “He was setting his shirt again and again [to hide his belly fat]. I feel Imad has also put on weight. Both of them I believe were dropped from their Bangladesh Premier League team matches. Now who is supposed to check their fitness levels when they were not with the team?”

On a lighter note, Wasim also talked about former left-hand opener Saeed Anwar of how he managed to come out fit in all tests during his playing days.

“When we used to have fitness tests in our time, who would come out on top always? Saeed – because he would befriend all doctors. We would keep training and he would get away by showing the medical certificate,” he explained.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1294785/wasim-akram-reveals-pcb-fitness-tests-reality/

2. London_Lahori

London_Lahori Tracer Bullet

Feb 18, 2014
    Haha, classic technique.

3. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    He should also reveal about players faking injuries. Especially his on the morning of 1996 QF against India.

4. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Haha Saeed Anwar the don

5. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Silent assasin. What a batter he was though!

6. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    Huge allegation on a hero of yours. Do you have any evidence to back this claim?

7. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Class...personified

8. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    He is not my hero.

9. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    He is a Pakistani hero and one of the biggest legends of the game.

I don't care what your opinion about him is. All I asked you is if you have any evidence to back your allegation that he faked an injury before the 1996 WC quarterfinal match against India.

10. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Both Wasim and Shoaib referred to "they" who carries fitness test in Pakistan Cricket Board.

I'm not interested to know are "they" (names)? Should've named and ashamed them.

11. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    The whole local system is absurd and outdated from top to bottom. No wonder the standards of our on-field gameplay lag behind even from some of our Asian counterparts.

12. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011

its not an allegation, its true. Its on record. google it.
    He has fixed 2 WCs for us 1996 and 1999 final. He was in Qauyym report. We call him legend but the biggest match fixer in Pak cricket history.

13. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    I googled. Nowhere did I find conclusive evidence of him faking an injury.

And how did he play the 2003 world cup if he had fixed a knockout game and a world cup final on previous occasions?

14. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/232541.html

Allegation Two: Withdrawal from World Cup 1996 Quarter Final

3. In the Bangalore quarter final against India during the 1996 World Cup, Wasim Akram decided at the last minute not to play the match. This according to vice-captain Aamir Sohail was fatal to the outcome of the game as he was asked to captain the side five minutes before the toss.

4. In cross examination Wasim Akram said he was injured. In his statement before this honorable court strike bowler Waqar Younis said that it was not the normal practice for injured players to travel with the team.

5. Team physiotherapist Dan Keisel in his statement in court said that Wasim was allowed to travel to Bangalore because the injury was minor. He said when he examined him in Bangalore the day before the match Wasim was sure that he would be fit to play, keeping in view the importance of the game.

6. Aamir Sohail stated that Wasim had told him he was fit and will be playing even the night before. But at the last instant on the day of the match, he said he could not play.

15. London_Lahori

Feb 18, 2014
    That's not evidence, people pull out of games on the morning of games all the time, it happens.

He could easily have aggravated it during the warm up, we see it all the time in football.

16. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    but this is Pakistan team which has history of controversial incidents in mega events

17. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011
  18. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    You are right Bro. And to be fair it is not even possible to give conclusive evidence in such cases. But just imagine for a second the magnitude of this particular game. Pakistan the defending World Champion is playing quarter final of a World Cup against its arch rival. First ever WC knockout match between them.

Do you think a Captain like Imran would withdraw himself from such a huge game? He was injured throughout WC 1992 but still played. I am sure he would have played this game even if he was on bed rest. And Wasim withdrew just 5 minutes before toss.

All the staff and his teammates have huge doubts over his injury claim. And they testified in front of Justice Qayyum. Why would they doubt Wasim if it was a genuine injury?

Wasim faked this injury I don't know why. Maybe he was paid for this or was threatened but the injury was not genuine.

19. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    Conclusive evidence? More like mere allegations.

All that says is that Wasim was sure he would be okay to play the night before the match but pulled out on match day. Couldn't it be the case that Wasim really wanted to play the QF match against India and was being overly optimistic about his fitness until the actual match day when he realised he simply wasn't fit enough/hadn't recovered enough to play?

I wouldn't call it faking an injury as much as selfishness.

One bit from that link that made me lol (unrelated to the allegations):

"In one-day cricket bowlers never bowl bouncers" - Rashid Latif.

lol can someone please give this memo to Wahab as well?

20. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011
  21. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011
  22. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    People just getting carried away for no reason, there may have been some very innocent reason for his bloated belly, such as constipation, wind, a lazy bladder or even pregnancy!

Very shallow Wes!

23. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    If what Wasim is saying is true, then Waqar's strict attitude towards fitness was most probably a waste of energy.

These are professional athletes and fitness for them shouldn't be just going to the training sessions. It should be made a lifestyle for them... and not just them but all the domestic and club players as well.

24. London_Lahori

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree it's suspicious, what should have happened was a scan immediately after the game to prove the extent of the injury.

25. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    It should come from within the player himself. If the mindset itself is to bunk training and fitness sessions and gorge on biryanis frequently, then no fitness coach in the world could help.

Kohli is probably the fittest cricketer in the world today, all due to sheer hard yards. There is no substitute for that.

26. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    Comes as no surprise. Pakistan cricket has an almost non-existent fitness culture. Whilst the likes of Imran and Waqar pushed themselves hard fitness-wise individually, there is nothing but unprofessionalism regarding fitness and nutritional standards at domestic and grassroots level.

Inzamam used to have a verbal contract with his domestic team that if he scored a hundred he didn't have to field but could sleep on a charpai in the ground.

27. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    The PCB will never change. The difference between then and now is that players like imran, waqar and wasim spent time on their fitness themselves. I remember wasim once saying that waqar and him used to train so they are fit enough to bowl 25 overs in a day.

That required thinking about your game, planning and strategy. The current lot seem content to blame the pcb. If you want to be the best, you have to learn not to rely on the pcb. Those buffoons will never change.

I haven't seen a bowler in recent times who looks like he's aiming to compete with the best. There's doesn't seem to be that level of commitment or aspiration. Sad state of affairs

28. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011
    All they talk about .. coach is strict or captain is strict .. boohoo mommy