Welcome to Cricistan -- We'd love your feedback

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jan 20, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    That's a very good point Husker and I'm sure both sites can both push each other to make improvements, competition is always good as they say. The existence of Cricistan can only help improve PP and vice versa.

One example that readily comes to mind is the outdated look of PP, now I'm not saying this to criticise PP because I designed the current look (of the forums) and colour scheme of PP so I'm not going to bash my own work. However that was 5 years ago!!

I'm sure guys like Nauman, Zee and feather will confirm that one of the biggest problems we ALL had when we were at PP was that the homepage has always been very ugly but there was no real motivation to do anything about it.

I've heard on the grapevine that after Cricistan launched, PP have started a drive to modernise their site and that includes a brand new homepage which will be launched later this year perhaps as early as the T20 World Cup.

When you see the new PP homepage the first thing that will come into your head will be Cricistan. I've heard they're going to have a picture slider and a video slider as well as having a video section on the site itself. They'll probably also have a latest threads box on the homepage like Cricistan does too.

That's what I mean by more Pak sites being good for existing sites like PP.

So yes Husker, there's no reason whatsoever why both sites cant co-exist and flourish.

2. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Good going Genius. So your work is outdated and mine is ugly...how rude! While the current PP homepage might not be the best looking it was an huge improvement plus the concept to promote so much content was brilliant only if it was used properly. It draws massive amount of traffic toward PP.

I should definitely mention Ali's hard work here. He is someone who previously designed the PP current homepage and also coded the content management system. He is obviously a very important part of the Cricistan team who helped shape Merc ideas into the current Cricistan homepage and again improved the code of the content management system that Cricistan uses.

Anyway I think we have talked about PP enough. I really do wish them the best and that is good news that we are finally able to motivate the new team members of PP to do things to remain the premier Pakistan cricket site.

Let's focus on Cricistan. Let's do something shocking just like the PCB. Lets ban ourselves for a week :-D

3. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Well you told me yourself that aesthetics weren't your primary concern when you were designing the PP home page. Plus your design for the Cricistan homepage was just as fugly, you should be glad I stepped in and rescued us :))

Here's an inside scoop for all you Cricistanis, Feather gave Ali a template for the homepage and Ali was about to work on it when he contacted me via MSN. I almost had a heart attack when I saw how ugly the homepage looked so I asked Ali to ignore feathers design. :D

Ali is a fantastic coder who I drove round the bend with my constant requests to move pixels from here to there! I think he was ready to kill me on more than one occasion but eventually he brought my ideas to life and we have the current design, which I dont think is too shabby and even feather must realise it's much better than his version

:cool:

4. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    I think I am going to introduce a new policy to Cricistan team that should put an end to this horrible situation which we find ourselves like Pakistan cricket. Team members giving statements without much thought. Always trying to be the "Captain".

Time to use my super admin powers like Mr. Butt to ban you indefinitely. You will be able to appeal the ban or I will simply over turn it once people keep asking me where is that guy who always kept talking about himself...oh that reminds me. Didn't you use to be a big Akhtar fan?

5. tdigi

tdigi Youngsta Beauty

Mar 19, 2010
    I like the transparency you guys have here. Gives people like me a little insight into the "behind the scenes" work which goes on to make a site successful. Keep up the good work and please don't ban yourself :D

6. Temptation*

Temptation* Youngsta Beauty

Mar 18, 2010
    Ah, I see. thanks for the clarification. :)

7. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    @tdigi

We're trying not to take ourselves too seriously. We're just running a website not the CIA

8. Inferno

Inferno Youngsta Beauty

Mar 19, 2010
    Some of the videos aren't working mainly the IPL ones.. and Asifs 5for vs Aus

9. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    We havent started to promote our youtube content at all yet but somehow lots of our videos are getting reported, hmmm :rolleyes:

10. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    We are going to move the videos to our own private server. Please give us couple of days to resolve this issue with the videos.

11. Boi

Boi Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    Hmmm...nice layout! :)

12. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
    One of the best forums iv been on. very well organised and very much up to date.

13. Yaser

Yaser Youngsta Beauty

Apr 8, 2010
    very nice site - very 2010-, a shame it wasn't used at PP; epecially as they have the far superior member count. :)

14. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    That has happened over 10 years give this time and I am sure you won't be disappointed :p

15. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Thanks for appreciating the site, we're only 10 weeks old at the moment. Give us some time and the site will grow. We've already jumped over 14 million places in the Alexa ratings into the top 1 million sites in less than 3 months. Not bad going and Insha Allah we're only going to get better.

Anyway yaser welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay.

16. attidude.asif

attidude.asif Emerging Player

Mar 8, 2010
    No videos update....... Again same wid news....

17. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    There has to be cricket being played for news to be updated :)

18. attidude.asif

Mar 8, 2010
    hey it should b everything going around cricket..... not just cricket....
    and what about the videos..... cricinfo... got all the news of players getting injured and stuff like that... its being a local site.... we expect more..... inside news...

19. BoomBoom786

BoomBoom786 Talented

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi to all!! I already know many here such as KingUsama92, Boi and Sohaib789:D

Good to see you here guys.

20. Captain

Captain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 26, 2010
    Can we kindly have a subforum under cricket to discuss cricket bats/pads/gloves/equipment/bowling/batting, etc that way we can gather information regarding where to get good stuff from, possible discounts via other member's connections etc, and discuss on whats the in stuff whats the out stuff what to avoid buying etc, and discussing batting tips, bowling tips etc, and esp for those of us that actually play league/club cricket to interact with others etc. the main cricket section that exits can remain for official cricket. ty for reading, and hopefully is considered, plus i think this will bring lots of people to cricistan as well, as people (especially those abroad) are looking for help/advice etc on these matters.

ps: i posted this under the feedback subforum, but it didnt show up :(

21. Majid Khan

Majid Khan Youngsta Beauty

Mar 27, 2010
    I'm relatively new to Cricistan.com, but want to say it is a great discussion forum on here and refreshing to see some quality cricket discussions, where people are actually putting some thought into their posts trying to make a point - rather than simple one/two line posts which neither add anything interesting to the discussion nor make any relevant point.

I have found on another Pakistan cricket forum, that it seems that nowadays to have been taken over by the SMS / Twitter generation, where people do not want to spend more than a minute making a post and less than 30 seconds reading one -- this is why you get threads with 60/70 replies in no time, but try reading through it and there's hardly anything relevant or worth discussing.. just a load of smileys and you get the impression that its a kids site. Not quite the mature, sensible and intelligent level of discussion that used to be on there, I regret to say.

Good to see the standards on Cricistan are much higher, I would appeal to the Mods to try to maintain these high standards and we would rather have threads with 10 quality responses, making points which are well thought out and intended to add something to the discussion , rather than 100 replies of mostly SMS/twitter-like gibberish.. with a load of lols and smileys.

22. Poison

Poison Youngsta Beauty

Apr 19, 2010
    Was wondering where you big boys had dissapeared to. Looks a quality forum to be honest, well done so far. ;) And I'm going to have to agree with you regarding the policies on PP.

23. Zain

Zain Youngsta Beauty

Feb 14, 2010

The polls are still missing. :rolleyes:

24. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    You've hit the nail on the head, the thing about Cricistan at the moment is that I know if I click on a thread with a new post then 9 times out of 10 I'll be glad I did.

I hate pages and pages of laughing faces and txt talking!

25. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    You must hate the match threads then :))

26. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Match threads are fine because they're designed to be an informal chat type thread. But on regular threads it's very annoying.

27. kingusama92

kingusama92 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 17, 2010
    You are spot on on the basis of your viewpoint.

However, this is something that is very hard to maintain. As a forum grows and more members join the level of discussion usually deteriorates. This is just the way it is.

If a forum wants to grow these things will have to be accepted. Now I am not stating that a forum should allow things to get childish but there has to be some tolerance otherwise no growth will occur.

During the growth stages - the quality of mods is truly tested. Discipline is key as a competent mod will eradicate most of the nonsense. Mercenary and the lads are quite competent in my opinion. :)

28. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010
    what about PM's?

29. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    We do plan to activate them just doing some reorganization (few new things etc). Should be final by June / July.

30. NorthStar

NorthStar Youngsta Beauty

Jan 30, 2010
    Must say, love the Nuke Festival T20 theme for the front page ... it looks awesome!!!

31. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    ^Thank you. Hope that will make u visit the site again. We look forward to hear ur views on the forums..

32. Champ

Champ Youngsta Beauty

May 29, 2010
    I have been logging in here since a long time but unfortunately/fortunately just registered (unfortunate because it took me some months to finally register and fortunately because I am here now ;).. look forward to posting with you all and I must say really like the site, Good job.

33. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Cricistan is absolutely wonderful!!

Cricistan is absolutely wonderful!! Keep it up guys!;)

34. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Thanks a lot guys. Hopefully you will enjoy your stay here...

35. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    mods can we use the paki word here without it being derogatory ?

36. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    Why do you have to use it?

37. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    To be quite honest I used the word very often in my High School days and this word is often used in the US by Pakistanis or least here in NYC. I only stopped using it once I was made aware what the word meant in the UK.

I guess we will have to discuss this...however large amount of users are from UK...so I guess we will have to get their opinion on the subject too.

38. Amar

Amar Youngsta Beauty

Jun 4, 2010
    can we have notifications in cricistan?
    for example some has commented on your post so you should be notified of that....

39. iHammad

iHammad Emerging Player

Apr 2, 2010
    Brilliant site, keep it up!!!!!!!!! :cool:

40. attidude.asif

Mar 8, 2010
    hi ..i forgot my paasword..... how do i get it now???? thank god i m logged in my laptop....but i need at work as well..