What are your memories of the 1992 WC win, 18 years ago today

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Mar 25, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I wasn't really an avid follower of cricket until 2003 but I remember the 1992 WC win as well as anyone else. My secondary school was around 80%+ Pakistani so it was a total riot. Especially since 99% of the teachers were native English.

Our geography teacher was a big cricket fan and that day we spent most of the lesson talking about the match and pointing out that his team lost!!

What are your memories of that day?

2. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    I was very young at the time. The only thing i remember is that i was visiting Lahore with father for some Horse & Cattle show and came back to Karachi on the same day and as we entered i heard someone saying Pakistan won the World cup and then celebrations outside.

3. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Favourite moment was removing Lamb and Lewis by Wasim Akram. The euphoria coupled with relief was just something out of the world. The screams of joy, the thanking of God.

And as soon as Ramiz Raja took the catch, People started pouring out on the streets to congratulate each other. I still remember quite vividly that people started distributing sweets. The feeling was nothing like ever felt before.

“The world coming down the flags are up ,whose gonna be number one whose gonna takes up the cup….”

And we couldn't concentrate on our studies in school as the euphoria refused to die down for quite sometime.

4. AZK

AZK Emerging Player

Mar 3, 2010
    none, I was eight at that time! but my chacha had the Imran's Tigers video, I remember I used to watch it all the time.

5. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    I'm afraid I can't contribute much to this thread because I was only two at that time......

6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    I remember when Miandad and Imran were batting together, they were going at a snails pace. It started to rain in Karachi the and that too is a rarity. I was around 10 then and all us cousins booked it for the garden and started playing cricket for the next hour or so and when we came back, Inzi was on the crease and the last overs onslaught was just taking shape. We didnt move after that I guess. But winning the cup was just brilliant. It was ramadan also I remember. Just fantastic stuff that.

7. Cricket_King

Cricket_King Guest

Wasn't born during the WC but have seen the dvd of the final about 10 times :))

8. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    I was only 8 months old at the time, so cant if i have any memories watching it live but have seen the video of it many many times including the Imran Khan acceptance speech lol

9. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    Ya all you all who missed the boat on this epic tournament on a baseless excuse that they were either not born or too little, should definitely take this case with your parents. In many a court you could be privy to a heavy compensation.

10. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    This 2010 WC reminds me of 1992

11. Joseph K.

Joseph K. Youngsta Beauty

Jan 24, 2010
    Unfortunately it does not. We don't have any heavy weights in this team. Where are Miandad, Imran, and Rameez in this team? It is extremely shallow in experience department. Australia know how to dismantle an inexperienced side, they did that to us in '99 although that side had incredible depth and enthusiasm. We had beaten Australia in the group game by 10 runs and then went on to lose the final in spite of everything. That was one game that really really hurts. Australians exploited our inexperience. Only a win today can heal that pain. That is when I stopped following Pak cricket. If we beat Australia today, when Australia seem unstoppable like we did in 1999, when they are favourites like we were in 1999, when they are on top after easily winning the group game like we were then. Only a win today can heal that pain. They are a better team toady, in 1999, we were the better team, this is the main difference and it might cause a lot of problems.

12. namak

namak Youngsta Beauty

Feb 16, 2010
    There is a difference between this 2010 WC team and the 1992 WC team. I remember watching the semifinal, and losing hope. Imran Khan made 44 of 93 deliveries. In the 30th over, the score was less than 90! (fans today would have crucified such a performance). The match meandered along sluggishly, and when Salim Malik was out, I felt that it was all over. The New Zealand score appeared insurmountable at that point. But nobody told the Pakistan team that it was impossible. They never gave up. Inzimam played the innnings of his life, with the support cast of Miandad, Akram, and Moin Khan firing the team into the final. That team did not give up.

The team today, gave up when Hussey hit the first six. It was written on their faces. Both teams were lucky. The team in 1992 refused to give up, and hence, they won. The team today, gave up.

With regards to the memory of the final, I bunked school that day to watch the match. It was even until Akram's magical over, and then you could see, the fight had been knocked out of England.

13. TAK

TAK Youngsta Beauty

Feb 15, 2010
    i think it was the very early years of sky sports, perhaps even the first year...?

it was definitely the last year of the old english first division, which my other beloved team won, defeating those filty lancastrians to the tape

sky had a complete toffee nosed ponce of a young presenter called colville, yes i know he is still there!

for those of us brought up on classic bbc tv cricket commentaries sky's coverage seemed tacky in the extreme, thankfully this has improved!

brick sized mobile phones were just hitting the streets, i remember sid lewis the black english pace bowler used to be in one of the ads for these new miracle inventions and his punchline was something like "hello goochie," referring to the moustachioed english opener who later went on to endorse a revolutionary hair replacement product

prior to the tournament starting we were devastated to hear that waqar younis, whom we heard great things about would not be playing

i can't recall too much about the opening games, (we had to stay up all night to watch the games) expect that we started very very poorly inculding a loss to india and i'm pretty certain we needed the west indies to beat the aussies for us to qualify for the semi-final

the 2 semi-final i can remember a little more clearly

south africa were conned out of a final place by a ridiculous, (pre-duckwoth/lewis) scoring system in a rain interupted match against england

our semi-final was on a blustery day as i recall and the match saw the emergence of a chubby, clean shaven multani lad whose perfectly paced partnership with the great javed miandad saw pakistan home

in the final i remember imran came in at 3 and played a long steady innings

botham opened for england and i remember him walking back to the pavilion shaking his head in anger and disbelief after the upmuire ruled he had knicked to the keeper, even my mum hated botham!

akram taking the wickets of chris lewis and alan lamb in successive balls effectievely won the game for pakistan

and the rest is history

one of my favourite moments was the embrace at the end between the javed mindad and the imran khan

they were some great nights staying up all night watching pakistan

14. MoiN

MoiN Youngsta Beauty

Jan 29, 2010
    I was just one at that time...... :D ;)

15. Cricket_MN

Cricket_MN Youngsta Beauty

Mar 25, 2010
    No, there is a big difference between the 1992 team and this one.

1992 team would snatch victory from the mouth of defeat.

2010 team is pretty much the opposite.

16. d0gers

d0gers Youngsta Beauty

Mar 22, 2010
    My experience was pretty similar, except I was in Lahore. 10 years old, had chutti from school. I watched over at a friend's place since he had a dish antenna and got Prime Sports. At some point we started our own tennis ball match outside though I can't remember when. Every time I see highlights of the Pakistan innings I swear that I can remember watching everything live, though it could just be me remembering some other time when I watched the highlights!

The coverage was a bit spotty at the start of the England innings and there were problems getting the live feed. This was around when Stewart got dismissed (which btw is the fastest I've ever seen a batsman walk after nicking one) so we resumed our own cricket match. Then we'd quickly run in on hearing huge roars, which occurred for Hick's and Gooch's dismissals. It was when Lamb and Fairbrother were settled in that we ended our game and came back inside for good. Then of course Akram came on to bowl and the rest is just a blur.

For the 1999 final I was in Abbottabad on our way to Shogran on a school trip. Going to the mountains helped a great deal in forgetting that abysmal display.