What are your political views in a general sense?

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Don Duckman, Dec 28, 2016.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Don Duckman

Don Duckman Tracer Bullet

Apr 7, 2014
    Should citizens be allowed to own and use guns? For hunting or for protection? Is it justified to shoot a thief on your property?

2. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Im already finding myself being less progressive, when I hear the word non-binary I want to shoot myself.

3. Bella

Bella Youngsta Beauty

Jan 24, 2010
  4. Bella

Bella Youngsta Beauty

Jan 24, 2010
    I am tired of hearing about safe spaces,sjw's ,radical feminists ,critical race theory,Intersectional theory,white privilege etc. The list is very long and it really infuriates me that this is being taught in some schools.
    I have definitely changed some views and I have always been told I am too much of a 'liberal' by some people that know me.

5. Mad Genius

Mad Genius Cornered Tiger

Oct 6, 2014
    So I'm the only one in top right quadrant

6. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    Same as you, amusingly. Pretty sure I was left wing a couple of years back on this :D

7. Don Duckman

Apr 7, 2014
  8. Don Duckman

Apr 7, 2014
    @Markhor What are your thoughts on Macron?

In a year marked by the emergence of the populists, it's nice to see an educated young progressist with good debate skills. I don't agree with all his ideas but he is one of the best current politicians to hear debate.

9. Bella

Bella Youngsta Beauty

Jan 24, 2010
    CNT_-_La_Barrera_Inexpugnable-1.jpg

10. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    I don't know much about Macron's policies but it is encouraging to see progressive insurgents on the rise. The right don't have a monopoly on populism.

11. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    Regarding the point about becoming more conservative with age - for me it's been the opposite journey. I grew up during the New Labour years and was very disillusioned with Blair/Brown for a number of reasons such as Iraq, introduction of tuition fees after promising not to, terrible record on civil liberties, corruption scandals like Cash for Honours and the failure to rebalance the UK economy which is still heavily reliant on banking and the property bubble in the South.

In 2005 and 2010, I was anybody but Labour. I swallowed all the right-wing myths pedalled by the media about how Brown's overspending caused the recession, people on welfare must be scroungers etc.

Since around 2012, I became more politically engaged, found alternative media and have realised the utter hypocrisy of the right in the West - especially the UK and US. They talk of balancing budgets yet both the Conservative Party and Republican Party have failed to do so. The last Republican President to balance the budget was Dwight D. Eisenhower ! The Conservatives first pledged to balance the books by the end of the LAST Parliament but now they won't even achieve that by the end of THIS Parliament. Yet the media never speak of "Conservative profligacy" and question Tory economic competence from a party that called for FEWER banking regulations.

The Republicans talk of limited government yet want to regulate what a woman does with her own body. The Conservatives who preach the gospel of rolling back the state have done nothing about the mass state surveillance at the GCHQ Snowden exposed. They want strong borders yet EU immigration has reached record levels under the Tories. And who was it that did amnesty for illegal immigration in the US ? Saint Ronald in the 1980s.

Worst of all, they speak of free markets yet support crony capitalism. Banking and energy are two examples of industries dominated by large multinationals who have crushed community banks and small energy firms. If ever there was an example of the need for strong state regulation. How can you complain about government welfare when you turn a blind eye to corporate welfare ? If you're against wasteful govt spending, why not criticise how we subsidise Big Oil by the billions ?

The issue is the print media in the UK is so tilted to the right. Nearly all of UK newspaper proprietors are privately educated billionaires who barely pay any taxes. Traditional media limits the scope of debate to such an extent that if you hold an economic position to the left of the neoliberal Financial Times/Wall Street Journal consensus you must be some wide-eyed Maoist Communist.

That's not to say I don't have my critiques of the left. I'm not against free enterprise and acknowledge capitalism has lifted millions out of poverty in places like China, India, Vietnam and elsewhere. The effect of trade deals on manufacturing jobs in the West has been somewhat exaggerated. I'm not against grammar schools as some are.

Neither am I reflexively anti-military intervention as some on the left are. I was appalled at how many Milosevic apologists there were on the left in the 1990s. The likes of Galloway and Chomsky cry themselves hoarse about the spilling of Muslim blood at the hands of NATO since 2001 yet were silent when their ideological kin in the Yugoslav Army were massacring Muslims by the thousands in Bosnia.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  12. Don Duckman

Apr 7, 2014
    On the one hand, you are criticizing subsidies and lack of small state policies (because the right doesn't apply them), on the other you are criticizng the ''neoliberal'' lobies. What is your actual opinion on the matter?

13. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
  14. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015