What is so special about Wahab Riaz?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Top Spinner, Mar 17, 2013.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Top Spinner

Top Spinner Tracer Bullet

Feb 27, 2013
    1)No outswinger
    2)No inswinger
    3)no reverse swing(thanks to 2 new balls)
    4)No dimension
    5)sami has more pace
    6)he is not genuine allrounder
    7)not much height
    & so on......
    so what is so Special about Wahab????

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  2. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
  3. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Can reverse and can bowl with pace. Is wayward yes but since he's in the squad, why not play him?

4. FTB

FTB Emerging Player

Dec 16, 2012
    Nothing to be honest, yes he bowls quick but so do Sami/Talha. The way i see it Riaz is just a left handed Sami( may actually be worse than him). Hope both Gul and Irfan are fit for the next ODI or we might be chasing 300= again.

5. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    How many wickets has Gul taken in the first two games?

6. FTB

FTB Emerging Player

Dec 16, 2012
    Gul has been awful and ideally i wont have in my playing eleven. However if it is between Gul/Riaz than i would go for Gul cause at least he wont go for almost 100 runs while the other pace bowlers are keeping things economical.

7. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    Riaz has the potential to be destructive on his day. His biggest issue is consistency. He needs to work on that.

8. Top Spinner

Feb 27, 2013
    that is what "fans" demanded from Sami for so long,but in vain.

9. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010

Umar gul went for about 7.5 an over in the 2nd ODI when everyone else was under 5.

10. FTB

FTB Emerging Player

Dec 16, 2012
    Well Riaz went for 9.3 an over and in the process broke the Pakistani record for most runs conceded in a match. So to me both guys shouldnt be in the team but if i have to pick one out of the the two than i would pick Gul.

11. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Gul keeps on bowling rubbish in many matches on the trot without taking wickets or barely taking 2/3 in 5 matches.

Wahab atleast deserves 2-3 matches to prove himself.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  12. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    This pitch was completely different then the one in the last match. 400+ runs have been chased on this ground. Gul might have gone for over a 100 here. No harm in giving Wahab a couple of matches when Gul has been given a long run and stunk it up.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  13. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    I think they will pick Sohail Tanvir in next match..

14. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    That wouldn't shock me. Get all the BFFs together.

• List
  15. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    tbh gul shouldnt be in the ODI team either. Im sure we have better options.

16. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Wahab is not the best bowler around but he is not as bad as sami. Also don't judge based on this pitch. It was batting paradise and everyone got smacked around. No bowler got any help apart from Junaid and irfan in first 10 overs. Wahab has potential to becomea decent bowling all rounder. Remmber if Amla was not dropped by Hafeez, we may have been sat here praising Wahab. He was made victim of bad fielding, good pitch and some very streaky boundaries from Faf who swung at everything. U need to watch the bowling to be able to judge it, not just look at figures

17. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    The pitch was batting a paradise..I dont think anybody should argue with that...but his performance had mostly to do with his wayward line and length, and not pitch so much. For ex:
    [​IMG]

18. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Quote the dropped catches and the streaky boundaries too.
    Trust me he did not bowl as bad as the figures read. Also he went wayward trying to outsmart the batsmen with yokers and wider bowls. By the time he bowled the 43rd over AB was batting on a ton and there were only 10 fielders in play due to Irfans injury. Basically more pressure on bowler to hit the right areas as he knew if he gets it wrong he will be punished. Even Hafeez went for 8.5 an over imo u should be having a go at him. He had a much worse match than Wahab

19. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    The dropped catches offa Wahab should have been taken and credit to wahab for creating those chances. But one thing Hafeez and co didnt do, on a regular basis, is stray down the leg..bowl at least 1-2 wide balls an over, low full tosses, width...I mean ya gotta be doing something wrong to get hit for 94.

20. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    Well you can't blame him for inconsistency, how consistently is he selected to play??

21. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    I think he should be given the rest of the series to play and make a statement.

• List
  22. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Man I just told u. Dropped catch. A fielder less. Streaky boundaries. They all make a difference between respectable figures and those filthy ones we saw today. Its true without a doubt that he was wayward but he is no worse than Gul

23. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    I already took the dropped catches into account and acknowledged it above. But what does those other things have to do with him being wayward....that's something he was bowling and then conceding these many runs? Anyway in post#21 I said he should be given the rest of the series to play...he shold come back strongly in at least one of the games.

Gul is not good enough for ODIs...but I dont think he would have done as bad as wahab...hence its only fair to give Wahab an extended run (till the end of the series at least) so call him out. But disgusting performance by him none-the-less.

24. FTB

FTB Emerging Player

Dec 16, 2012
    I am sure Riaz will get the next two matches considering both Irfan/Gul are unfit. I hope he does well in them but i am not too optimistic .

• List
  25. chacha kashmiri

chacha kashmiri Youngsta Beauty

Mar 15, 2013
    sadaf and ehsan would probably be more innovative options but wahab offers something gul doesnt and that's his aggression

He hasnt kicked on as predicted after that wc semi against india when he took akhtar's place

26. chacha kashmiri

Mar 15, 2013
    If you look at their averages esp in tests then sami and gul are alot more alike then it seems at first glance

27. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Lol how can u be sure he would not have done so bad? The last time I remember watching them bowl in the same innings I remember watching Gul getting tonked all over park by Sehwag whilst Wahab owned the same batsman with an inswinger and bowled half the side out single handedly. That too in a semi final vs India in possibly the biggest game u can think of against the likes of Kohli, Tendulkar, Yuvraj and Sehwag. Gul bottled it and Wahab excelled. Now ur here comparing him to that trash lmao

28. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    ok..as many games and years gul have been playing..has he been hit for these many runs before? Keep in mind guls bad in ODIs.

29. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    No he hasn't. But Gul had a lot of bad games too. Honestly just taking it on the chin, Gul is terrible, Wahab also played bowled but was unfortunate, could have been different on another day. If u want to compare the two, Mohali comes to mind and u can see who the better player is

30. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Wahab does also only get 1 match and is dropped later whereas Gul gets 10 bad games, but is still there since he is a "senior".

You need to give Wahab a fair run.

31. Top Spinner

Feb 27, 2013
    Wahab will never be consistent bowler

32. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    He will never be a consistent bowler if you only give him 1 match and drop him later on.

Gul has never been consistent, but is almost never dropped.

33. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    lol why are you just not accepting Wahab had a pretty bad game. I keep saying Gul should be replaces..but if his replacement is going to be as bad, if not worse..then whats the point?

I hope Wahab comes good in the next 2 games. Otherwise, Alhumdulillah we have other bowlers ready to go.

Yeah the Mohali match for Wahab was great, but how long are we supposed to give Wahab chances based off that? I mean its just like kamran Akmal's fans who keep bringing up the Karachi test match innings (which was great), but that was a long time ago. If that's the case, then we can argue that Gul had a great match in the recent history and should never be dropped.

Team comes before any player. If the player aint performing...its time to bring on the next one.

But I would give Wahab 2 more games at least.

34. Top Spinner

Feb 27, 2013
    Wahab is not raw talent,actually he is flawed talent

35. Raf Pragmatic

Raf Pragmatic Banned

Jan 7, 2013
    Sohail Tanvir and Abdur Rahman should come in the place of Wahab riaz and Malik. At least, replace Malik.

36. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    I think Waqar`s departure has hampered his progress.

He has no one who can give him advice. No senior bowler and no coach(M. Akram doesnt seem to do much).

37. chacha kashmiri

Mar 15, 2013
    He's never been given a run in the team in place of tried and tested players like gul

His scatter gun approach is similar to akhtar, as is his wicket taking ability

38. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Then we will be another batsman less and Sohail Tanvir is just rubbish.

39. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Is Tanvir in the squad?

40. Top Spinner

Feb 27, 2013
    what about junaid and Irfan progress,but we have to acknowledge that Wahab is less talented Lahore phaaaast bowler