What is this "Mera Jism Meri Marzi" nonsense ?

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Passionate Pakistani, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    Now they started this nonsense in Pakistan as well.

If you really care about women then pass some legislation or some law from parliament.. there are more than enough women in parliament and judiciary.. what is this mera jism meri marzi nonsense ?

Do they not understand that this jism is not ours but amanat from Allah, for both men and women and should be used only how the Almighty told us to do ? (well, at least for muslims)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    People going against the very basic of our faith. Wth is wrong with us ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    I'm all for women empowerment and equality of rights but this slogan is so wrong on so many levels. This will only undermine and sabotage the feminist cause, and they would have only themselves to blame.

4. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Apr 26, 2011
    This is wrong totally wrong.

5. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Western influence taking over Pakistan. This slogan is just totally messed up.

you see all sorts now, Valentine’s Day is also celebrated there.

6. Bella

Bella Youngsta Beauty

Jan 24, 2010
    What does it mean?

7. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    My body My choice

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    the problem is people going extreme and in the process they are actually hurting not only their body and themselves but people around them will get interested in doing so to their body as well (like smokers interest other people to start smoking because for them it makes them look cool or whatever)

9. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    basically people now wanting to do plastic surgery and other dumb things which really aren't necessary

I mean changing hair color and hair styles is ok and go with the latest fashion trend but IMO if the trend of plastic surgery comes here, thousands of youth going to f up their life. Because the mindset here is if its being done by certain someone then they should do it as well.

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    As you are seeing, the negative things are becoming more popular as time goes.

11. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    so true man

I interact with my western friends and being selfish is encouraged now. I just stay quiet cuz I tried to make one understand and he got very confused lmao sadly

12. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    what are your thoughts on this @Bella

this is a safe place this forum to discuss and express anything btw

13. Bella

Bella Youngsta Beauty

Jan 24, 2010
    I am totally out of the loop, I have no idea what it is all about. I have had a very quick look at twitter and saw such different opinions about it.

One guy says "The slogan fails because it can be interpreted in so many ways, just provokes & polarizes ... diverts attention from the very issues it claims to preach. How about#MeriZindagiMeriMarzi (my life my choice), less provocative and keeps us all on point."

One woman says "#MeraJismMeriMarzi means opposing:
    rape
    sexual harassment
    child marriage
    physical abuse
    lack of healthcare
    domestic violence
    human trafficking
    bonded labour/slavery
    Opposing this statement means perpetuating a culture that produces all of the above."

I would love for people to explain more fully their posts as I have not got enough information to give an informed response.

14. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    welcome to our confused society

I bet those who are doing that hashtag dont even know what that word actually means lmao

15. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cornered Tiger

Oct 5, 2014
    Well the organizers stated last year that it means the latter. they highlight that its not sexual liberation but a form of women rights and women protection of their body which is sexualized, abused e.t.c. Ofcourse explaining it is useless since those that dont support it will not stop not supporting it just by explaining it to them.

The guy is also not wrong. The slogan is ill conceived since it directly translates as my body my choice, which in our society or in any of the societies ranging from russia to sudan aka non western, will find it offensive and will not listen to any excuses. However as i stated before that it wouldnt matter if it was mera jism, meri zindagi, meri e.t.c meri e.t.c. those that dont want to support it, will not support it.

The thing is that right to march and right to protest are fundamental rights and they cant be stopped as enumerated by bar councils, political parties and the high court as well and it will happen however the condition is that it must not have posters that can be controversial which the organizers have assured government and courts that they will abide to the rules. The more worrying factor is the calling of many crazy mullahs who have declared jihad on the march and have repeatedly asked their drones to stop them and considering the ineffectiveness of Pakistani administration, if mullahs come then they wont be able to do much and it can create an incident which will make us a laughing stock internationally. Lahore and karachi might go well but islamabad is a worry due to alot of seminaries being there and the mullah burka trying to showcase some semblance of power.

it is imperative that the march must not have slogans or posters that are gender abusive in nature or vulgar and the administration must fulfill its executive duty to provide protection to all those that wish to utilize their constitutional fundamental rights.

As for conspiracies and jews and western agendas. Well if you are conspiracy theorist then by all means they are all true and all our problem are foreign conspiracies and the elite including the army plays an important role in implementing them, cant have one without the other and if you are not a conspiracy theorist then ofcourse the conspiracies are rubbish.

As for the march being from a single strata of society and not being class homogeneous while that may be true to an extent but i would say it doesnt delegitimize the message they want to send which is women rights. Symbolism can go a long way and women protesting for rights is a good symbol even if from one strata of society as the concept is adhered to as a whole and it must be stated that alot of time you need the educated class to get the ball rolling.

The thing is that this entire thing is great to watch from the stadium as a third person view since it has revealed the reality of many many people in our society from all stratas, from all aspects, from all corners and if you are not here and have no interest in coming back then dont even bother to delve deep. just enjoy life. :D :p

16. Bella

Bella Youngsta Beauty

Jan 24, 2010
    Thank you for your response. It was very interesting. I am all for women's rights and their right to demonstrate and march. I agree that it hs to be handled very well without vulgarity and with dignity or they sabotage their cause.

I saw this article online and I think she explained it very well too.

@saiyan0321

“Mera Jism Meri Marzi.” My body, my will? My body, my rules? My body, my choice? Sometimes, Urdu plays peek-a-boo with the most suitable explanation. March 8, 2019, Aurat March of Pakistan was a momentous event. Its significance was reduced to a few “vulgar” placards, one of them finding mainstream prominence and notoriety–in uneven measure–in March 2020. Much outrage is being voiced. Talk shows have turned into mud-wrestling matches. Sermons are being posted. Judgments abound on Twitter. In a world where attention to truth is transient and verdicts are hasty and long-lasting, I’m not surprised at the rashness to repudiate the Aurat March slogan that has two words that sound like drum rolls of war for emancipation from patriarchal ethos, virtues of “decency” and “decorum”, and distancing from religious injunctions of modesty: mera (mine) and jism (body).

The intention is to change things for the better, to make every corner of the male-dominated universe safe for females and the weak and the oppressed, to list the grievances, to hold the perpetrators responsible, to demand accountability, to make immediate and long-term justice not a fight of genders but a fundamental human right. Not much will change without the sincere and full cooperation of those whose sensibilities, mindsets and attitudes manifest as the humiliation, harassment, abuse, violence, rape and murder countless females, children, and persons weaker physically or otherwise suffer all over Pakistan. Women's issues are highlighted. The real solution is impossible without male acknowledgment of those issues, acceptance of responsibility, and inculcation of mental and behavioural changes to redress and rebuild. There are countless wonderful men. Standing with women, they will be instrumental in changing undesirable sensibilities, attitudes, and practices.

A perplexing reality is the existence of countless women who are so used to the status quo of covert and blatant discrimination and the slow disintegration of their minds and hearts that they go into a tauba-tauba mode rallying against those females who dare to speak up. It is not us against them. It is not a fight of the good and the bad. It is not a revolution to break the family system. It is not a crusade to upend the culture. It is not meant as disrespect to injunctions of religion. The Aurat March is for those who cannot speak or protest when deprived of their rights, and are abused, beaten, raped or killed. The slogan Mera Jism Meri Marzi is for all those females who suffer in silence, live unnoticed and die without answers.

Without confusing it with western “debauchery”, it is important to understand the meaning. It is not bra-burning of 1960s. It is not a reproduction of the 2012 free-the-nipple movement in the US. It is not a demand for a licence to wear “immodest” clothes or to have premarital sex. Before taking a stick to the western mores corrupting our females, exhale, pause, and think."

17. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cornered Tiger

Oct 5, 2014
    your welcome

Indeed and as i said, they have explained it alot and i stand by it that those that dont support it will not support it no matter what however the slogan missed out. Slogan are supposed to be those choice few words that reveal an entire history by simply speaking them. They are neither meant to be philosophical paradoxes requiring intellectual thought process nor are supposed to be difficult. Easy to understand by all and explains an entire history or struggle. When you have to explain a slogan, the slogan has failed which is why slogan making is a very difficult job and is given to the best of the best often leaders who highlight their leadership skills by making such.

Let me highlight an example. "yeh jo dehshatgardi hai, iskay pechay wardi hai" now this controversial slogan simply means army is behind terrorism. No two questions about it. why i used this? bcz its controversial, very controversial yet does not require explaination

"Pakistan ka matlab kiya la illaha illal laho" this means Pakistan is meant to be an islamic republic where Islam reigns supreme. Nobody will say no wait it means XYZ.

"Tabdeeli ah nahi rahi, Tabdeeli agaye hai" which means that the very challenging of status quo is a change. A layman will get that

All these slogans have two things in common. They are very easy to understand i.e even a layman can get it and second they highlight a history.

Now compare this to the slogan of "Maira jism, maire marzi' and you can see why the slogan is struggling and requires explanation and frankly now its become an ego battle. They dont want to change it bcz they will see it as a step back and a defeat and the other side is pouncing on it repeatedly and using just this to debase a movement.

Agreed. It must be handled very carefully and absolutely without vulgarity.

18. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Men need to stop taking this the wrong way. It could perhaps be worded better but it basically means that it's not right for sexually frustrated men or men who cannot control themselves to touch women. It's not right. I don't know how I'd justify that to be Frank with you.