What is wrong with being cheap?

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Del, Jul 11, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    In this economy wherein you work hard for your money, you should try to safe money as much as you can. For instance look for groceries & food items on deal, check gas price before you refill and do your due diligence before spending money.

However, there is a school of thought, which believes that you shouldn't do all this and shouldn't be cheap. If you cant meet both ends and save enough then just make more money.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this subject.

2. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
    I think what you mean is when someone has to pay for some special party. They are ment to go all out and not care for money. To me it feels like it has to be a bit of both. You gotta obviously save your money but make enough for you to satisfy your significant other. Has to be done with planning not mindlessly.

3. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    That is being frugal not cheap.

4. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    Nothing wrong with the examples you gave imo being cheap is when you spend too much effort in order to save very little.

5. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    I think it depends upon the society

In Pakistan i have noticed how everyone wants to show off. They will use there wealth and all to do it.
    If you dont show off, wear clothes which are less flashy or have a hole in your shirt or shoe people will find you cheap and judge you. Now it depends on the person whether he cares for criticism or not.

In canada i remember, people dont care, they mind their own business. They dont care what you wear or how much wealth you hold.
    I remember i had classmates who would come to school in ripped shoes or had shows that were fixed with duck tape. No one gave a rats ass.

6. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Have you been in Canada?

7. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    I agree with Major, in Pakistan there is a lot of show off. And it shows why we are in this state.

I would like to be 'smart' with spending money. i also do believe though that 'sasta roye baar baar, mehnga roye ek baar'.

8. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016

So why would one care about 'show off'? If you're financially strong than it shouldn't matter right? I mean if you're financially stable than why you want to prove it to others? In fact I wouldn't do it, because this could means that I'm inviting unnecessary trouble and need to spend more on security of my family and myself.

9. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    yes,

10. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    dont expet rationality from Pakistanis.

in Pakistan having money means having respect,prestige and some power. Here people beleive that if you do not show off your money or assets you wont get respect. Infact thats how people treat each other here. THey dont show respect to the one with less economical resources.

11. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    No I hear you, but my point is, if you show off than you become easy target of thugs. People shouldn't complain if they're robbed - its given in our society.

12. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Which city?

13. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    brampton lol

14. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I have friends living in Mount pleasant area. I reckon its one of the best area's in Brampton. Rest of the Brampton give you feeling like you're in Indian Punjab.

I live is Mississauga, here though we have more Pakistani's. Personally, after few years would want to move to Oakville.

15. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    oh nice,

you did your schooling from there?

and HAVE YOU TRIED BAMIYAN KEBAB???????????????????

16. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, I came here when I was 18- lol, went to school, then Uni, then did specialization.

Yes, go often go to Bamiyan, but Watan is very similar. Bamiyan at Dixie and Eglinton is very close from my office. So we usually go for lunch.

And for Desi we usually go to silver spoon - best for takeouts.

Would you mind me asking, any plans of coming back to GTA? Why did you leave in the first place? Achieved everything you wanted to?

17. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    i was young than, like 16 years old.

dad got a posting in the embassey in India, so went there with family.

Then moved back to Pakistan.

It was abig mistake leaving. Life was soo calm

No coming back, my card also expired..

Btw karachi kitchen had goood biryani back then in 2011.

18. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I see...

Yes, Karachi kitchen's biryani is good too. For BBQ, our go-to places are BBQ tonight and Cafe De Khan. Not sure if you ever tried those or not. But if you ever come to GTA again, then msg me here, maybe we can get in touch.