What's the need to upgrade your phone if it works?

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Del, Feb 22, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I really dont understand why people change their smart phones so frequently these days. Of course, smartphone makers and carriers would have you believe that you need to upgrade your smartphone at least every other year, maybe more, but you don't really need to.

If anything, there's really only one reason to upgrade your smartphone — to get the latest and most secure software available, whether it's Android or iOS. But other than this, if you phone is up and running fine then whats the need to upgrade it?

I hear this all the time not only from kids but also from geezers nowadays that I need to upgrade my phone.

Something similar happened today, when a colleague said she need to upgrade her phone. And I asked, didnt you do it like 6 months ago, and she said, yes, but there is new model available now. Then my second question was, what are you requirements? What do you use your phone for? She said, web browsing, youtube, text and calling — and then I asked, so your existing phones doesn't do all this? She was embarrassed and said, it does but I still want a new one and start laughing and then I was like ...

[​IMG]

Seriously, I dont get it. Do people change their phones unnecessarily due to peer pressure, or to maintain a particular status or because they dont know how and where to spend their money?

Thoughts...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    I don't get why people so OTT when it comes to phones.

I had an old phone back in uni and my mates would joke around with me/rib me about it (how I'm an old man etc). I don't care though.

Even now, got a Nokia Lumia. Does exactly everything everyone else's phone does. Why should I waste money on a phone that does the same things but just more well know. The constant upgrading and love of phones is stupid imo

3. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I couldnt agree more.

As I said in OP, I think people do it due to

A) Peer pressure
    B) Maintain certain status
    C) Because my friend/colleague upgrade, so now I have to do it too.

Plain stupid.

4. Gotham Cronie

Gotham Cronie Youngsta Beauty

Jan 14, 2015
    For some people, the camera upgrades are worth it alone.

5. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    People have certain passions.

Some might spend all their money on phones, others on the latest cars, others on something else.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

6. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    brilliant thread @Del

apparently some people have this mindset that if they don't have the latest model / brand then they aren't up to date with this world and people will make fun of them.

Insecurity in ever aspect of life.

Though some do it because they just want to have that latest model and some have addiction regarding latest phones. I've personally seen my ex co-workers spend all their month earning on a dumb phone because they badly needed the new model even though their old (not really old) model was working super fine.

ps: and before any idiot here labels this a desi thing, stop. its not

7. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    my first mobile was Nokia 6600, ran that bad boy for over 10 years. Miss it still

then got a samsung mobile, first touch mobile. Then bought Nokia XL because it had a large screen and back then I would watch all the tv shows/movies on my phone

in 2015 I won online competition and they gifted me iPhone 6 which is still with me and working super fine and I love it

8. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Why not just buy a mirror?

Lol.

I think contract companies allow you to swap the phone otherwise them people who buy new phone every year need lessons on how to spend money.

9. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    I change my phone every 3/4 years. I am not a fan of spending more than $300-400 on a phone. So I usually get a year old model of top of the line phone. Currently using s6 edge, bought it when s7 was already in the market. Previously had Htc top of the line phone. This strategy works fine. No need to get the latest model and spend extra bucks.

10. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    When I first bought a mobile, I used to change it every year. Mostly because we had 12 monthly contracts and they gave you a new phone with the new contract.

But more recently I've only been changing every 2 or 3 years. Mainly (as @Gotham Cronie said) because of camera improvements or better internet.

4G is a world apart from 3G and let's not even talk about Edge and GPRS. I bet most of you dont even know what those are.

11. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Because they like to spend their money on it. New phones get better updates too.

12. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    This is the main reason nowadays. Camera is one of the top features of a smartphone. Everyone takes loads of snaps.

End of the day it’s a personal choice, same reason why people upgrade their trainers, coats, cars, consoles, everyone has their own desire and passion.

13. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    People have different priorities in life, sure I get it, but no amount of explanation can justify this "fazool kharchi" in my books.

And secondly I dont get this obsession of photo's/selfie's and status update on social media via smart phones - who are these "farig log"?

14. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    100% agree man

this obsession of posting selfies especially in male species is ridiculous. I can understand from a female point of view though.

15. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Indeed bro.

Its just shows me that how many people are out there who have nothing better to do. I mean is this the best of your time?

I literally know a guy, who updates his facebook 10 times a day. Once I called him and ask, hey man listen, I dont need to know what time you got up today, what you ate in bf, followed by lunch and in dinner. I also dont want to know what did you do in gym today. So whats the point of updating all this garbage? And in response he did nothing but language and asked me "sab khariyat tu hai, aj itna tappa hua kio hai tu?"