What's with all the Misbah bashing?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Ahson8, Dec 31, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Surprised to see so many people bashing Misbah and blaming him to be the main factor in our recent ODI losses. People seem to have a problem with both his batting & captaincy in ODIs.

As far as batting is concerned, he is our highest run scorer in ODIs this year with 493 runs at an average of 37.92. His career avg. is 42 and his S/R is in the 74.10 which is not bad by any means. He plays the role of an anchor which is needed immensely for this Pakistan team given its tendency to collapse.

As far as his captaincy is concerned, he has led Pakistan in 32 games, won 20 and lost 11 with a win percentage of 64.51% and W/L of 1.81. After Inzamam ul Haq's tenure as captain, he has the second highest win percentage and W/L by a Pakistani captain (highest is Shoaib Malik with 66.66 and W/L of 2.00). In comparison Afridi's win percentage was 54.54 with a W/L of 1.20 and Younis Khan's win percentage was 38.09 at W/L of 0.60. I didn't see any captain bashing threads when these guys were captains so why are these bashing threads popping up now?

Some people may still argue that he has not won us as many ODI SERIES as they would have liked, so lets compare Pakistan's performances in ODI series and tournaments with captains after Inzi:

Shoaib Malik:

Won ODI series vs SriLanka 2-1 (neutral)
    Lost ODI series vs South Africa 3-2 (home)
    Lost ODI series vs India 3-2 (away)
    Won ODI series vs Zimbabwe 5-0 (home)
    Won ODI series vs Bangladesh 5-0 (home)
    Won Triangular cup involving Pak, Ban, Ind
    Failed to reach final of Asia Cup
    Won ODI series vs West Indies 3-0 (neutral)
    Lost ODI series vs SriLanka 2-1 (home)

Younis Khan:

Lost ODI series vs Australia 3-2 (neutral)
    Lost ODI series vs SriLanka 3-2 (away)
    Reached Semifinal of Champions Trophy
    Lost ODI series vs New Zealand 3-2 (neutral)

Mohammad Yousuf

Lost ODI series to Australia 4-0 (away)
    (Afridi was captain in 5th match)

Shahid Afridi

Failed to reach final of Asia cup
    Lost ODI series vs England 3-2 (away)
    Lost ODI series vs South Africa 3-2 (neutral)
    Won ODI series vs New Zealand 3-2 (away)
    Eliminated in semifinal of CWC 2011
    Won ODI series vs West Indies 3-2 (away)

Misbah ul Haq:

Won ODI series vs Ireland 2-0 (away)
    Won ODI series vs Zimbabwe 3-0 (away)
    Won ODI series vs SriLanka 4-1 (neutral)
    Won ODI series vs Bangladesh 3-0 (away)
    Won ODI vs Afghanistan (neutral)
    Lost ODI series vs England 4-0 (neutral)
    Won the Asia Cup
    Lost ODI series vs SriLanka 3-1 (away)
    Lost ODI series vs Australia 2-1 (neutral)

Conclusion: It is not understandable why Pakistani fans hate Misbah so much. He has a fantastic record as ODI captain and is doing a fine job. There are people who think he uses 'defensive tactics' but he is still winning games as stats don't lie.

I can only think of two reasons why he is bashed:
    i) He replaced Afridi as captain causing Afridi fan-boys to become jealous
    ii) He led us to quite a few series wins earlier on as captain and when we started losing series again he started getting criticized.

People need to realise he brought us back on the winning track and started to win ODI series for Pakistan. It's not as if before him that Pakistan were regularly winning ODI series, so cut the man some slack and give him the backing that he deserves

Stats source: ESPNcricinfo's Statsguru

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 8
    • List
  2. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    The only reason why people hate him is cause of his batting. People want sixes and fours, that is why Afridi has got a huge fan following.... He hits one four people go crazy and dont care what he does after that, and they want him to be captain....

Have you ever noticed that when AFridi was captain, most pakistani's never care about his captaincy style, they dint care whater he is aggresive or defensive, but as soon as Misbah becomes captain, people look for excuses, excuses that make no sense and have got nothing to do with captaincy(like that recent drop catch of dhoni, or when he selected Malik for the t20 series against England), they will say many ridiculous stuff just to have Misbah kicked out, they won't care if some indian is insulting there captain, they would join them.....

Fact is, Afridi was way more of a defensive player, but people had no problems with him, because Afridi was making them happy by hitting 4s and 6s once in every 5 games... People never noticed that how Afridi is a selfish player, a player who only plays for his reputation......

and forget Misbah, even when Younis Khan led our team to the T20 championship, how much respect did he get?

Now adays many people talk about Misbah as if hes the worst captain ever, and act as if Pakistan were world champions before him, but Ahson Afzal made a very good OP, telling us what the situation was before Misbah's captaincy and how it improved when he took charge......

If Misbah should be dropped, then haters should go look for some valid reasons, and not come up with childish excuses.....

Misbah's anchor role has helped us many times, the way he stops the collapse of wickets from one end, and forces the bowlers to bowl bad deliveries. I think it was Tim Southee who once mentioned in an interview that Misbah as a batsmen really frustrates bowlers, because of the way he defends the ball and it gets really difficult to pick up wickets then.. Whenever some team takes Misbah's wicket you should look at the way they celebrate, they celebrate as if they have won the match, because they know that once Misbah is gone, it gets abit easier for the opposition to start taking wickets again..

So people only hate Misbah just cause he doesn't entertain them with fours and sixes. Its the same reason why people dislike Azhar Ali, Younis Khan and some what Mohammad Hafeez.

Misbah is still required as a batsmen and as a captain in the ODI team...

edit: i would also like to add, remember how people bashed Misbah for adding Malik into the team(england limited over series), they even wanted Misbah out of the team for his selection, but then when malik was selected under Hafeez's captaincy, no one reacted the way they did when they found out that Misbah added him in to the team.. This is just one of the lame excuses many haters were using at that time, just to have him kicked out from the team

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  3. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    Good Thread, Good Post, Some posters making sense but i have had enough of these haters, they are not nuetral, they just support a single or a few cricketers and if another cricketer comes in his favorite cricketers way then they start launching attacks. Such as someone here hates Asad Shafiq. And even when he heard Asad was injured he seemed happy and said ---- cricketer should replace him at No.6. Not worried about Asad getting well soon, not worried about Pakistan losing a cricketer for an important tour but worried about his favorite cricketer. As you have seen i maybe a Misbah supporter but i try to be as nuetral as i can. I support Pakistan.

Coming back to Misbah, people just hate that he replaced Afridi as a captain and lost us Mohali, yet Mohali wasnt Misbah's fault only.

Ahson Afzal shahrukh619

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 6
    • List
  4. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Anyone who bashes Misbah doesn't have to be a hater. Criticism is part and parcel of any sport and needs to be taken constructively.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 11
    • List
  5. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    Energy bhai, your a sensible poster but unlike some others on other forums and a couple here as well as classmates bash and bash and hate and hate.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  6. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    No one hates Misbah but when he is not upto the mark then he will get his fair share of criticism as any other player. The main reason why I personally criticize him is his safety first approach. He had taken out the flair out of Pakistani Cricket which made our Cricket so exciting to watch during the 90's & early 2000's.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  7. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    If he deserves credit for our test revival, he deserves all bashing for ruining our odi team.

And tbh he should have some shame and just retire from odis. His absence will be felt only by oppositions.

Another thing, he is 39 now not 24/25, just stepping on Akmal,Haris and other young batsmen places in team.

And its not only him, same goes for Younis and Afridi.

8. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    1. He is 38 yrs old, seccond I totally agree but he doesnt deserve to be called tuk tuk

9. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Misbah has been the scapegoat for a few of our big game losses in major tournaments (T20 WC2007, WC2011). These have tarnished his LOIs reputation significantly.

His criticism is fair in LOIs where he appears to go in to his own little world during a chase, blocking up an end. (example: T20 vs England this year).

• List
  10. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    see, there is something called a sensible poster who is neutral but there are also idiotic posters on PP who are cyber bullies who can only call him tuk tuk

11. Shahzebayub

Shahzebayub Smooth Operator

Feb 3, 2012
    Everyone knows what is misbah(tuk tuk) aj kal tuk tuk ka zamana gaya usay odi aur t20(retiere) chor deni chaiya

12. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
    Some people will never learn

13. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    criticizing is a different thing, but asking an inform player and and a better captain then the ones before him to retire and giving childish excuses shows that how some desperately hate him....

You barely see anyone criticizing Misbah's batting, all they say that he is defensive, thats it, many can't elaborate furhter.

14. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
    Adnan is getting too emotional

15. Chishti

Chishti Formerly 'Winsome'

Jan 27, 2012
    A very well article by Ahson Afzal i already beleive that Misbah is most capable captain after Imran Khan. He led his team very well and doing it in current moments too.
    I like him but i also criticize him if he makes a mistake as he did in 1st ODI to used Irfan in death stages of game whilst he was not good enough, but actually we've to admit that Misbah is human and to err is human, look at Afridi has no sense has no idea that what he can do for his team but he likes to do what his fans want. Semi against india, we not lost only because of Misbah. Younus and Afridi also culprits.
    I was watching 2007 T20I VC on Star cricket and i was surprised to see that Misbah hitting 4s and 6s while our team was about to defeat. His strike rate was over 130 in both matches against India and he fought lonely till the end in both matches. How many matches gifted by Afridi?

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  16. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    For yesterday Misbah was at fault with India getting to 227-6 where at one stage you have a side reeling at 29-5 and then you drop a sitter and let the guy score a unbeaten 100. Pakistan has this problem from a long time where they'll have the opposition on rock bottom but then you'll let them make a comeback in the game by either dropping simple catches or making wrong calls on the field and bowling front.

P.S: Just to make it clear, I'm not a Misbah hater just raising an obvious point regarding yesterday's match.

17. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Yes he made some mistakes last match. Should have allowed Junaid and Gul to bowl their full quotas
    Should have not allowed Dhoni & Raina to settle

But there are some quotes from people like:
    Misbah cannot play ODI cricket
    Misbah is a selfish player
    Misbah is an extremely defensive captain
    Misbah is the sole reason for our recent ODI failures
    Misbah is the worst captain in the world
    Misbah's captaincy is similiar to Mushfiq
    Misbah has done nothing for our ODI team

Etcetera

Which are truly unwarranted comments, based purely on hatred.
    Misbah is SELFISH? Oh come on, he (along with Afridi) rebuilt this team after the spot fixing fiasco
    How can he be a defensive captain when he wins you games?

• List
  18. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    I'll admit; he was the only reason why we lost that England match

• List
  19. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    I stopped reading after this because it's simply not true. I hate Misbah because of the attitude he's brought to the team. This pathetic attitude which takes away all the fire from all the young players. There's no aggression or passion in these players eyes. Not to mention, he's lost us several games because of his miscalculated chasing.

I appreciate Shahid Afridi for the numerous games he's won us, but I by no means think he should be in the team. Nor do I "go crazy" after he hits a four. Get your facts straight and stop generalizing the way everyone feels about everything.

• List
  20. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    its a fact, its the only reason for people disliking him, rest are just excuses.. Its the same reason why Azhar ali is disliked, and untalented players like Afridi are called legends....

21. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    I'm telling you straight up that I don't like Misbah for what he's done to the team. It has nothing to do with 4s and 6s. How can you call it an excuse? That's downright disrespectful, IMO.

I also don't think Afridi is a legend.

22. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Dont know

Why shahrukh619 always bring Afridi in debate while defending Misbah!!!

We will never know.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 5
    • List
  23. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Afridi is not untalented, he won us games in his prime, Sharjah 2011 is the most recent one that comes to memory

24. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    @OP

We won a series against Ireland - Bangladesh - Zimbabwe and Afghanistan :clap

Misbah is a legend of a captain.

Won against SL only because of Afridi's performance

25. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    ^Bangladesh at home, can be troublesome. Ask India, SriLanka, West Indies & NZ?
    The rest are minnows, yes but I listed minnows for other captains too

26. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    lol, so we lost all the rest of the games because of Misbah not because of Afridi's poor performance....

27. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    We are talking about Misbah's captaincy here - not of Afridi's performance.

EDIT: I dont rate Sri Lanka that high anyways.

28. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    LMAO :rofl

Hate?

He is just not good enough for ODIs and thats just a personal opinion of mine and some others.

Nothing else.

29. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I will never understand all this comparison between Afridi and Misbah.

Misbah is a mediocre player at hid best and thats it. No one will remember Misbah once he retires, but many will remember Afridi, and iam not talking about his teen fans, iam talking about cricket experts.

Afridi is a star player, Misbah is just a mediocre player when he is at his best.

Comparing misbah with afridi isnot just comical and stupid but also criminal.

Such posters lose all credibility.

30. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    ur the one whos saying we won cause of Afridi, then what i posted was related to what you posted

31. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    star player :rofl avg of 21

32. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    I don't understand why these threads turn into Misbah v Afridi..

Why can't I hate both? :p

If I criticize either I get blamed to be a supporter of the other... :fp

• List
  33. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011

Check the posts.

Shahrukh cant defend Misbah other than bashing afridi.

It seems like Misbah Appreciation is inversally proportional to Afridi criticism according to this clueless posterm

• List
  34. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Dont hate,

Just dont like any of them like me. :D

• List
  35. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    The hillarious part of the issue is that Afridi and Misbah are best mates. and their fans are often arguing against each other and calling the other player for various things.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 6
    • List
  36. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    Okay - i am wrong on this part.

What about the rest of my post?

37. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Sri Lanka is also a good team, lets not forget they were the world cup finalists...

38. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    take alook at the number of useless sh*t you have posted around.......

39. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    shahrukh619 - Misbah is a legend :clap

• List
  40. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    Afridi will be bought into discussion, because most haters are afridi fans, and they want to see cricket with fours and sixes.... Besides these people also rate afridi higher then Misbah, and many of you also bring afridi and misbah into discussion when its not required...

Afridi gets away with what ever he does, while Misbah is bashed so much that haters what him retire and use excuses like a drop catch.