What's wrong with Pakistan? We've lost 10 International games in a row!

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Feb 19, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Traditionally one of the most annoying things about being a Pakistan fan was that the Pakistan team is so unpredictable. One day we can lose to Bangladesh and the next day we can floor Australia.

Whilst that can be very frustrating it also comes with a certain sense of awe and expectation which even stuns non-Pakistan fans into silent admiration. The amount of times I've heard my non-Pakistani friends say things like imagine if the Pakistan team ever became organised and professional. Who would stop them?

However over the last year or two Pakistan have been completely predictable. You can bet your house on them losing, no matter how great a position Pakistan get themselves into we are just one session away from losing any game!

Now we're on a 10 match losing streak at international level and it doesn't look like it'll end any time soon.

We've only won 1 test match out of the last 17 tests and we've only won 7 out of our last 24 ODIs. There's nothing upredictable or exciting about those figures. The only form of the game where we've been doing well is T20 where we've won 7 of our last 10 games.

So what's wrong with Pakistan? Why are we losing?

2. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    * Lack of unity and education among the players.
    * Lack of proper leadership at PCB.

3. MALLHI

MALLHI Youngsta Beauty

Feb 18, 2010
    One word. Self Belief!!!

We have totally forgotten to believe in ourselves. There was a time when Pak used to win matches from nowhere and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat when everyone had written them off (we witnessed that throughout the 90s) but that self belief has vanished since long. NOw, even if we manage to put ourselves in winning positions, we somehow find a way or two to lose.

AS they say, winning is a habbit and so is losing, and i guess we have developed this habbit of losing unfortunately. I think the Sydney test has also played a part in this team's mental toughness, since that loss, they have played pathetically and hardly looked like a winning team!!!

The only solution to me is to give more and more yougnsters chance and have a strong and attacking CAptain who is not afraid of losing!!!

4. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Just about everything is wrong with Pakistan at the moment. Wrong chairman, wrong selectors, wrong players, wrong captain, wrong uniform... wrong board.

5. MALLHI

MALLHI Youngsta Beauty

Feb 18, 2010
    Whats wrong with the Uniform? :)

6. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    It is made by non-professionals like AJ, it looks like a shamiana, compare it to our t20 Slazenger kit, the current one pales in comparison. Supposedly AJ is our temporary kit manufacturer.

7. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Cricistan's Pehlwan

Feb 17, 2010
    A mismanaged board, poor planning on the part of the board, poor selection, mostly mediocre players, little or no desire or unity among the players, theres quite a few more.

It's a depressing situation.

8. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    Lack of leadership. This very same team with the same individuals with a good captain will win the same games they just lost. Currently this team has 3-4 "captains" trying to run the team conspiring against each other and underminig whoever is in charge. Its nothing new in pakistan cricket but we are experiencing a serious drough of talent.

9. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    As stated by some of you above, I think it comes down to two things self-belief/confidence and leadership.

The interesting thing is that they're both connected. A confident team that believes in itself is easy to lead and a strong leader makes any unit believe in itself. I dont think it's possible to have one without the other.

A lot of people point to Imran as an example of a dictator who shaped a team in his own image but they overlook the fact that he was allowed to do it by the players in his team. Imran inspired them with his own performances and so they wanted to play under his leadership, they trusted him to do the right thing more than they trusted any of the alternatives.

An example of a 'supposed' strong leader who didn't have the support of his team is Younis Khan. There's no doubt that YK wanted to emulate the great Khan but he did two main things wrong. The first was that he didnt inspire the team with his own performances and the second was that despite acting tough he kept making statements contradicting his supposed steely determination. Too often YK said things like 'I cant drop so and so because he's a senior' or the infamous 'why should I open, why doesnt someone else open' remark.

YK wasnt the dictator he fancied himself as nor was he as ruthless as he wanted everyone to think he was. YK needed to be liked, the permanent smile, the jokes and the self-deprecating humour didnt fit the role of wannabe dictator.

Despite being a good captain tactically, YK lost the support of his team and his board because he couldn't strike a balance between being liked and being tough.

10. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    The streak is over, but I still feel there is a huge battering for us coming up this year in England (as I said, T20 cricket is a joke and we can still defend our title with the tulla players we have, it's the test matches I'm worried about).

11. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Cricistan's Pehlwan

Feb 17, 2010
    Agreed.

And the ODI's too.

In order to compete with England in England we have to drop the dead wood and get a few other players in. As far as the batting goes Malik, Misbah, Farhat, Faisal Iqbal are not cut out to play at the highest level.

Kamran Akmal should be given an extended rest. Give Sarfraz an extended opportunity to try and cement his place in the test sqaud.

There are a more than few promising batsman biding their time in domestic cricket that should be give the opprtunity to show that they can do a better job than some of the current clowns.

12. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    Our batmen won't be able to cope with the swing during the summer, I don't see Pakistan beating either England or Australia. Tough times ahead for a team without much confidence.

13. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    I was just talking to my cousin in Lahore today. He met Mohammad Yousaf at a private small 10-15 people dinner. My cousin told me that Mohammad Yousaf talking very freely to his acquaintances about the Australian trip who asked him the reasons of the debacle.

According to Mohammad Yousaf, as soon as Ijaz Butt announced that Yousaf will not be retained as captain after Australian trip during the 2nd test, things started to go hay wire. Everybody in the team started to think that HE will be (and should be) made captain and started to not follow Yousaf's lead. Yousaf said that the statement made by Ijaz was totally ill timed and gave birth to 6-7 different captaincy candidates.

If true .... and I am sure it is true, it is so unfortunate!

14. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Here is my personal opinion. Everything starts with PCB and it ends there. PCB is the foundation on which everything is built. This foundation is very weak and every time there are changes within PCB they try to lay a new foundation.

You can build a strong beautiful house or a tall building. Soon there will be cracks and there is nothing that can be done then. I have seen the very best look clueless when they are up against a good opponent. Strong captain or leadership skills are completely over rated in my opinion.

We need a strong Pakistan Cricket Board. Which holds the Selectors accountable and the selectors hold the coach and the players accountable. Resources need to be provided so weakness can be over come.

Every player should be given a set of guidelines which could be very simple. Always run in toward the ball. X and X players should always pat a bowlers back. X and X players need to do these things. A coach works with the entire team on what to do once your in the middle.

I think we need to go football way. This thing about seniors and captains is killing our cricket. Anyway in my opinion everything starts with and ends at PCB doors.