1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

What's your Pakistan and New Zealand combined XI

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Dec 18, 2009.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    This was a very close series between two evenly matched teams and in the end a drawn series was the fairest result. If you had to pick a combined playing XI from both teams, who would you pick? My choices are below...

Imran Farhat - Before this series started I didn't think Farhat would be the standout opener from either side but with 268 runs and an average of 53.60, he's head and shoulders above the rest. I think this is more of an an indication of how poor the opening batsmen have been for both teams than a pat on the back for Farhat.

Salman Butt - He only averaged 30.50 but it was still more than any other opener (except Farhat) and his crucial century partnership with Farhat helped to save Pakistan from an embarassing series defeat.

Ross Taylor - With an average of 60.20 he batted really well against some hostile bowling in a low scoring series. Although he normally bats at 4, I know MoYo wont budge from that spot so I've put Taylor in at 3.

Mohammad Yousuf - A poor series from the new captain but that's mainly due to the high standards that he has set for himself. It was a choice between Yousuf and McCullum and MoYo got the nod for his past record.

Umar Akmal - A star is born, this time Umar shone far brighter than young Aamer but in future series Aamer may come back strongly. Umar was the best batsmen from either side and that too by a long distance. Only one real failure in 6 innings is more than any Pakistan fan was hoping for.

Daniel Vettori - Danny only bats at even numbers and he's far too good to bat down at number 8 so he comes in at number 6. He had some good outings with the ball but it was his solid and unrelenting batting style that got him into this XI. Vettori is someone who really knows the meaning of putting a price on his wicket.

Kamran Akmal - This is the third time that Kami has averaged over 50 in a test series, the last time was almost 4 years ago against India in 2006. Kamran is slowly coming into his own as a batsman and the Australia series will be a real test of his patience and technique. After his match saving knock in Mohali, I said that Kamran was going to become a genuine batsman-keeper and whilst that's yet to happen he's definitely on the right road to realising that dream. As for his keeping, I cant remember him making any notable mistakes so that must mean he had a good series with the gloves too.

Shane Bond - If it wasn't for Shane Bond, Pakistan would've taken this series 2-0 with ease. In the first test New Zealand were able to match Pakistan's bowling firepower thanks to a fired up Bond. However in the next two tests they were clearly missing the killer instinct that a quality express pacer brings to the mix.

Ian O'Brien - Ian's had an unremarkable career before this Pakistan test series and our fragile batting line-up made him look a lot more potent than he really is. I'm not surprised that he's retiring because I dont think he could repeat this performance against most other batting line-ups. At least not on tracks that are more batting friendly. However despite that fact, he HAS had a cracker of a series and deseves to be in this line-up.

Danish Kaneria - Sometimes he looked world class and at other times he looked completely harmless but then that's been the story of Kaneria's life. He took 13 wickets @ 20.69 and looked to be much improved from previous outings so it was a successful series but then how will he perform against stronger batting line-ups?

Mohammad Asif - Asif has had a fantastic series, every time he had the ball you felt that something was about to happen and on most occasions it did. To watch Asif bowling you wouldnt think that he'd ever been away but as mentioned above, will he be able to repeat this sort of performance against stronger batting lineups? Only time will tell.

Ok that's my XI, what about yours?

2. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
  3. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Aamer in place of ian o brien

4. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
    Wow, great stuff.

Why the bump?

5. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Yeah why the bump? Am I missing something here?

6. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    :)) i was bored, so decided to bump this thread which was on the very last page of the site.