1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Which batsman would you select in all-time XI facing express pace?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Harsh Thakor, Oct 23, 2020.

Who would you choose in all-time XI playing express pace bowling?

1. Sunil Gavaskar

100.0%
  2. Sachin Tendulkar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Saed Anwar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gundappa Vishwanath

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Graham Gooch

100.0%
  6. Donald Bradman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Inzamam Ul Haq

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Viv Richards

100.0%
  9. VVS Laxman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Virat Kohli

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Virendra Sehwag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Majid Khan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Mohinder Amarnath

100.0%
  14. Younis Khan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Brian Lara

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Rohan Kanhai

100.0%
  17. Rahul Dravid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Kumar Sangakaara

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Javed Miandad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Alan Border

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Harsh Thakor

Harsh Thakor Youngsta Beauty

May 5, 2011
    This is my selection of batsman I would choose for a World XI to face express pace on fast track.I have not only considered statistics but also skill in playing pace,particularly short-pitched deliveries.

Sunil Gavaskar-Ultimate embodiment of technical skill who mastered likes of Imran and Andy Roberts without a helmet.Not successful against Lillee or at his best agaisnt the Carribean pace quartet but still has to his create a double hundred and 2 centuries against them and a flawless 90 on a bad wicket at Ahmedabad.

Graham Gooch-Proved his prowess on fast bouncy tracks on the 1981 tour with a 153 at Kingston and 115 at Barbados,averaging over 57 overall.At Leeds played arguably the best tset innings ever when scoring 154 in 1991 versus West Indies.No opener played the Calypso attack better.

Rohan Kanhai-Overshadowed even Gary Sobers against sheer pace with his lightning quick footwork and infinite imagination like when scoring a century in each innings at Adelaide in 1960-61 and 115 agaisnt Lillee at his fastest at Perth in 1972.

Viv Richards -Even made great paceman look like cattle walking to a slaughterhouse.No batsman treated Lillee or Thomson with such a degree of contempt or played pace with such remorseless ease as Viv.His average of 86.2 in WSC supertsest in 197-78 testify this.

Ian Chappell- Statistics hardly reveal his true merit who averaged 50.94 at one down and 12 centuries and 4279 runs.One of the best ever exponents of the hook shot who overshadowed brother Greg in a crisis or on fast wicket.West Indies bowlers prized Ian's wicket more than brother Greg who scored 5 centuries in all games against them in 1968-69 at home ,156 out of 328 at Perth n 1975-76 and a 141 in a WSC supertest in 1977 .Michael Holding valued Ina's 449 runs against them in 1975-76 more than Greg's 702,in giving them the battering of their lives.

Mohinder Amarnath -In 1982-83 in the history of test cricket no batsman performed better facing express pace.1st facing Imran in Pakistan he aggregated 593 runs scoring 2 centuries at an average of 73.Later in West Indies displaying the guts of a great military commander he scored 593 runs at an average of above 66.Never seen a batsman play pace as courageously or with such skill or tenacity,resembling an army ressurecting itself from the grave.

Adam Gilchrist-Pounded top South African attacks in the way no keeper has ever done with the bat.The ultimate match winner who created impact of a dynamite.

I may have been unfair to Tendulkar and Lara or even Border and Ponting but in my personal view in terms of tenacity and pure skill against the bouncing delivery these batsman stood out.At express pace Greg Chapel often floundered against the rising delivery,often top edging them like in 1979-80 or 1981-82 .Lara and Tendulkar wee the ultimate geniuses but at times uncomfortable against short-pitched deliveries at express pace.DonBradman was also not at his best facing bodyline while Hobbs and Hutton were not full tested.

2. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Sunil Gavasker cannot be the ultimate because he used to wear a specially made helmet hidden under his sun hat. He acted as if he is not scared of pace - which he sure was.

And hence, everyone else on your list steps aside when the ultimate king stands up - and that’s no one but the great Viv Richards.

He truly and practically proved that he was never scared of pace and he was a great player of pace.

3. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    Who else would you choose in team against express pace?Name other 6 batsman

4. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    Did he ever face his own West Indies quickies or at his best against Lillee and Thomson at their fastest.Unlike Sunny he did not have to face the West Indies pace battery.

What are your other choices?Do select and name kindly.

5. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Typical thread to hype up Indian players.

6. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Facing Lilly, Thompson and Hadlee on Australian and NZ pitches that were not covered overnight WITHIOUT a helmet is more than enough of an indicator that if Viv had to face his own Black Thunder of a bowling attack, he would still not wear a helmet. If he didn't do it in Australia then he passes the ultimate test.

Against pace bowling, my other choices would be,

Mohinder Amarnath
    Greg Chappell
    Dean Jones
    Martin Crowe
    Inzimam
    Ricky Ponting

7. Harsh Thakor

May 5, 2011
    Great choices appreciate.Still why no Gavaskar?Ian Chappell?

8. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Probably Gavaskar makes it to the list too. His batting has that grit where he wouldn't easily give away his wicket. Just like Amarnath.

Ian Chappell turned out to be idiot in his post cricket life career as a pundit, so he loses his worth as a sportsman in my opinion.

The rest in my list were fearless warrior batsmen who would not be intimidated no matter who the bowler was.

9. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    of all the batsmen i have seen, i think Ricky Ponting was the best against express fast bowlers.. he also struggled at times but he used to take on pacers like no one else.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

10. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    there are/were batsmen who didnt really get scared of pace bowling but at some point did struggle against it. Ponting for example i saw did struggle a bit against shoaib and bond. Same with Inzi who usually would get into terrific positions for the pacers but saw him getting uncomfortable against harmison's bounce in england.
    Wasim akram is usually in awe of Martin crowe's stance and told both waqar and himself felt to struggle against him, that was both his and waqar peak.
    Waqar i remember praised Aravinda de silva often.
    Then i guess no one would dispute regarding King Viv.