Which left-handed batsman performed best against express pace in tests?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Harsh Thakor, Sep 26, 2020.

Which left handed batsman performed best against genuine pace in test cricket?

1. Brian Lara

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gary Sobers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Graeme Pollock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Saed Anwar

33.3%
  5. David Gower

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Gary Sobers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kumar Sangakaara

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Alvin Kalicharan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Alan Border

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Wasim Raja

33.3%
  11. Adam Gilchrist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Graeme Smith

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Sanath Jayasuriya

33.3%
  14. Clive Lloyd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Harsh Thakor

Harsh Thakor Emerging Player

May 5, 2011
    Very Strangely although Brian Lara ,Gary Sobers and Graeme Pollock were the best left-handed batsman ever they wee not the best performed against genuine pace.Potentially they may have been at the top but statistically they do not equal the performances of Wasim Raja,Alan Border and David Gower or even Clive Lloyd.

If I had to stick my neck out I may give the mantle to Wasim Raja because of his outstanding record facing the best West Indies bowlers home and away in 3 series to average over 57.He overshadowed the likes of Zaheer Abbas,Majid Khan and Javed Miandad all but enabling Pakistan from drawing a rubber on what was arguably the best side in the world in 1977.Dubious umpiring robbed Pakistan of a famous win at Barbados in 1977.His batting revealed subtle artistry with resolute determination like a poet and Tiger blended into one.Averaging 57.44 and aggregating 517 runs was no mean feat facing Croft,Roberts and Garner at their fastest.Overall he scored 919 runs at an average of 57.43 facing West Indies

Just a whisker behind my choice would be David Gower because he was not only the most prolific in the Carribean in the 1980's but also successful against top Australian pace bowling in 1982-83,1985 and 1989-90..I can never forget the effortlessness with which Gower drove,hooked or cut the Carribean pace battery at its best on their soil averaging 43.88 and aggregating 743runs.He was equally effortless tackling the likes of Lille and Lawson down under in 1982-83 to avergae over 44 as well as in 1990 when facing likes of Rackerman.No batsman was as prolific in the Carribean statistically in the 1980's.His unbeaten 154 at Kingston in 1981 was a true classic.In and against Australia he averaged around 44.

In 3rd place I would place Alan Border who averaged more than anyone in the Carribaen against the top attack in 1984averaging over 74 and also consistent at home in 1981-82 averaging around 67..However not at his best facing Imran or Wasim.Overall averaged 39.4 against West Indies ,finding the Calypsos harder to face at home,on bouncy strips.At Trinidad in 1984 literally ressurected Australia from the grave like no left-hander ever did.

In 4th place my choice is Clive Lloyd who was more prolific than any batsman facing Lillee and Thomson at their quickest in 197-076.He averaged 46.9 aggregating 469 runs with 2 centuries.Also scored a super 197 n.o in WSC supertest at home in 1979.I can also never forget his brilliant 151 facing Imran at Barbados in 1977.

Adam Gilchrist was outstanding facing likes of Wasim and Alan Donald and at his best facing the lethal South African pace attack.

Significant that Lara never scored a test century against a great express pace bowler with Mcgrath fast-medium and only scoring centuries facing Wasim or Donald in ODI's.Pollock did not face the quickest Australian bowlers in 1966 or 1969-70.Sobers was not so prolific against top pace in Australia and was only at the top against Fred Trueman and Brian Statham in 1966 and John Snow in 1968-69.

2. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Your choices are very good but my choices are Saeed Anwar and Aamir Sohail opening partnership...

3. cricfreak

cricfreak Emerging Player

Jul 6, 2010