1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Which of these bowlers you wouldnt want to face?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Disco Lemonade, Dec 18, 2009.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    We will compare two bowlers of 80's 90's and 2000's and ask the posters who would they like to face as a bowler. The first ten replies will be taken, and the bowler who is least likely to be faced will move onto another round and will be compared with another bowler.

2. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    WAQAR YOUNIS

[​IMG]

OR

ALLAN DONALD

[​IMG]

3. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    I would rather face Allan Donald, both the bowlers were lightning fast at their peak. While Donald would also scare me, Waqar would just break my toes and his swing along with the speed will be too hot to handle.

so

Donald - 1
    Younis - 0

4. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    It's a very interesting question and both bowlers were incredibly quick. However I have to agree with you that I'd rather face Donald because Waqar could bowl yorkers on demand and would target batsmen's toes.

That's before we even start to consider the way he could swing a ball, especially the way he would make the old ball loop the loop on the way to the batsman. So Waqar wins this one for me!

Donald - 2
    Waqar - 0

5. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    Without a doubt Waqar, his ability to consistently bowl those toe crunching yorkers and an excellent exponent of reverse swing. However both players are class in there own rights.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  6. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Offcourse, Waqar Younis. More for his ability to injure me then to get me out. Who can forget the delivery he bowled to Brian Lara in Peshawar, it required the calibre of Lara to save himself from that vicious inswinging yorker, although he couldn't save the timber from being shattered.

I meant this delivery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGAt6p4htsc

7. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010
    There is more behind this dismissal than just being an awesome yorker, It started from Peshawar test (1st of that series) where Waqar was dropped and Akrem played Shahid nazir instead (for some very messed up reasons that i m not going to go in details now) and Nazir took out one of Openers and Chandurpaul in his first 2 overs and I was like thats going to be challenge for waqar to get back in.... luckily Nazir didnt keep up with the first two good overs in Peshawar in rest of game and Waqar got played in Rawalpindi

In Pindi, you can tell from the way waqar was running in, that he wants to prove a point, beautiful run up, legs almost hitting his hips in his run up....charging in and he got Cambell caught at point and then Lara had to face the final ball of the over.....Waqar ran in and dropped one short which lara mistimed to midwicket with a Pull but still got enough bat to get him 3, Then came the next over, When Waqar charged in ( having 3 slips, Point and Wasim at Mid Off) and pitched one up outside off and Brian smashed him through covers....4....waqar bowled another pitched up out side off ball...and smashed again.....4 more....3rd ball of the over was also similar line, pitched further out side off and this time Lara's drive got him 2....at that time Saeed anwar who was at shot square leg...pointed to waqar that 3rd slip should be removed to put it in the huge off side gap and one could hear from a better quality video that waqar said "Naaa Naaaa Rehn Dey" ...meaning, Waqar didnt want 3rd slip removed.....then he went back and gave Brian that ball.....that amazing yorker, for which he has been setting BCL for last 3 balls....He had him driving throughout the over and then gave him the KILL BALL.......amazing bowler, to me the best fast bowler of 90's....I have so many awesome memory from this guy!!!!

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 8
    • List
  8. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    What a great bit of history there bouncer, I enjoyed reading that. I often wonder about the lead-up to some of the wickets I see rushing by me in montages.

That's why watching cricket live and being a party (in a way) to the planning behind a wicket is such a great experience.

9. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    I'd face Donald too.

I like my toes.

10. mmkextreme_1

mmkextreme_1 Talented

Jan 20, 2010
    I rather face Donald any day rather then Waqar..I don't want to shorten my cricketing career lol..if your toe is broken and keeps on..and that is just the yorker..the massive inswing Waqar got into the right hander..I remember watching that delivery he bowled to Ponting and got him for zero..simply unplayable...

• List
  11. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Waqar is the reason I started watching cricket. I remember Waqar had the ball in hand it was the last wicket most likely the last ball the over as well and I believe one run was required. They kept showing two girls or ladies praying.

Man I fell in love. I wish someone could point to a video of the above match on youtube or something.

Definitely wouldn't want to be facing Waqar.

• List
  12. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    oh boi!

7 - Donald
    0 - Waqar

so Waqar moves onto the next round..

Which of the following two you wouldnt want to face..

CURTLY AMBROSE
    [​IMG]

WAQAR YOUNIS
    [​IMG]

13. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    Tough one isnt it? :D it is choosing between your toes or head to be honest :D

I would rather face Waqar here, although it will be hard managing his swing with the old ball, i can atleast get into position, knowing that 5 out of 6 balls of his over will be yorkers. But with Ambrose you have a 6 foot fast bowler with an angry beastly face, menacing eyes, who will be at you after each delivery (Bouncer directed at your head at a rapid pace), staring at you as if saying "you survived this delivery".

1 - Waqar
    0 - Ambrose

14. iDone

iDone Youngsta Beauty

Jan 25, 2010
    2- Waqar
    0- Ambrose

;)

15. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Cricistan's Pehlwan

Feb 17, 2010
    I'd rather play Waqar here than Ambrose.

I'd rather get hit on the toes then on the head if given the choice. :D

Plus for all Waqar's menace he doesn't match up to Curtly Ambrose, and thats saying something. When you have a 6ft 7inch giant running towards you bowling immaculate line and length, trying to pshyc you out with those silent yet deadly stare's and genuinely trying to knock your head off I'd take Wicki bhai's toe crushers anyday.

Ambrose 0
    Waqar 3

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  16. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Yeah I'll face Waqar too, I'd rather walk with a limp than get carried off in a hearse!

Waqar - 4
    Ambrose - 0

17. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    I think I can handle Ambrose's bounce ;) . Bring it on buddy!

With Waqar, it didn't matter what type of pitch there was (with Ambrose, atleast you would have had some let off on low-bounce pitches).

• List
  18. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
    At over 2 metres tall I don't think it really makes a difference to a bowler like Ambrose what the nature of the pitch is.He's still going to get bounce.

Have you seen the Mohammad Irfan video? He's bowling on the slow low pitches of Pakistan and yet extracting a fair amount of bounce.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  19. namak

namak Youngsta Beauty

Feb 16, 2010
    I wouldnt want to face Ambrose. In terms of hostile spells, he was up there. I would face Waqar

20. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    I know, I know. It wouldn't make a hell of a lot of difference, but even then, I have my helmet, my arm guard, etc; what do I have for my toes :D ?

21. Juggernaut

Feb 17, 2010
    LOL Fair enough.

22. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    Waqar - 5
    Ambrose - 1

4 more votes to go.

23. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
  24. Zeeraq

Zeeraq Talented

Apr 28, 2012
    I would rather face Ambrose, Bcz I am not good with yorker deliveries :p

• List
  25. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Prefer getting hit than getting out, hence like to face Ambrose.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  26. Zeeraq

Zeeraq Talented

Apr 28, 2012
    Haha same as me;)

27. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    So its

Waqar - 5
    Ambrose - 4

1 vote to go

28. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Both Ambrose and Waqar were beasts, both would hit me, Waqar on my toes and Ambrose more likely on my face or on my chest. Both would break bones. Both would get wickets.

So the choice for me is whether I'd rather break my toe or my ribs/face/jaw. I'd rather break my toes personally so I'll be facing Waqar.

29. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    id rather face Waqar than either Donald or Ambrose
    Waqar was what 5'11/6' and pitched it up, the other two were tall quick bowlers (Donald was 6'4 i think) who could generate alot of bounce.
    i simply hate facing really tall quick bowlers, would rather have my toes at risk than my fingers, chest or head when facing Donald or Ambrose

30. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    Ambrose moves onto the next round...

31. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Both Donald & Ambrose are great bowlers & on any given day it will be preferable to watch them bowl to others but let me ask everyone one simple question;
    " On a flat track who is more likely to trouble you, a bowler with pace & moving new ball or a bowler with pace & deadly banana swing?"

On a bowler friendly pitch Balaji, matthew hoggard or even Abdul Razzak will be handful, hence I evaluate a bowler by his performance on a flat/batsman friendly track & with due regards to Donald & Ambrose, I'll be much more happier to face them than a Waqar.

32. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    You mean this?

33. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    its a simple answer, it is only my opinion and having played cricket i just know i always hated facing tall fast bowlers :) A flat track would make no difference to a batsman of my ability (or lack of ability)
    Waqar rarely utilised the bouncer, im willing to bet if he pitched it up i would drive and miss probably getting clean bowled, if i missed any of Ambroses or Donalds delivery well theres more chance the ball would actually hit my upper body.

34. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Frankly I am unaware of how many tall fast bowlers you have played till now, hence it will be unfair of me to judge your ability or your views.

I have played few in my days & trust me when I say that barring the first few deliveries where I am try to gauge the pace & bounce of the pitch, rarely have I found the bounce discomforting. I find tall fast bowlers who have bounce more easy to handle by camping on my back foot as their natural length is back of length which is most of the time not going to hit your stumps meaning you can leave lots of deliveries.We can score hell of lot with horiizontal bat shots.When they try to pitch it up, they have to release the ball bit early which cut their pace down & allow you the extra seconds to adjust.

With bowler like Waqar whose natural length is up-to the bat it is bit more complex. Need to play lots of deliveries due to the length of the ball, drives become risky too. Hence it is preferable to batsman against taller bowlers, at least for me & my family.

35. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    isaacking it is only a personal opinion on who we'd rather face you dont have to go into detail explaining your point of view, if you prefer taller quicker bowlers than thats fine, i dont :)
    for what its worth i played youth county cricket so i have played against some decent competition :) still cant face tall quicks though, probably why i was a bowler :p

• List
  36. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    WaQaReD!: As I said I am not judging your view or ability & reason for my giving a detailed account of how to handle a Tall fast bowler was to explain that bounce & pace will rarely undone a batsman.

Worse batsman against bounce was Steve Waugh but rarely did he gave away his wicket to bounce.

37. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    I guess you don't know much about the history of West Indies cricket

That might explain why you said Gary Sobers was not an all rounder.

38. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    I really hate to sounds like ALL Knowing, like you know who.

Here are the Fast bowlers of West India & their tricks, you will not find the Bounce was their main weapon.

Wesley Hall: The originator of West Indies fast bowlers. in his era, considered to be one of the greatest

Charlie Griffith: Partner of Wesley Hall, signature play-The 'lethal yorker'

Colin Croft: One of the greatest, outswinger, inswinger delivery, can take wickets on any pitch.

Anderson (Andy) Roberts: One of West Indies premier fast bowler during the 70's

Joel 'Big Bird' Garner: One of the most difficult bowler to score runs against, very economical bowler.

'Whispering Death' Michael Holding: The quickest of 'em all, defeat batsman with sheer speed, and incredible accuracy.
    Malcolm Marshall: Arguably West Indies greatest fast bowler, a combination of speed and unplayable line and length delivery.
    Curtly Ambrose: Similiar to 'Big Bird' Joel Garner in terms of delivery, one of the most lethal 'yorker' An economical bowler.
    Courtney Walsh: Not as quick as 'Holding, Gilchrist, Patterson and/or Marshall, but the most durable, took most test wickets amongst West Indies fast bowlers.

Food for your thought is Sunil Gavaskar an Indian Batsman's stats against West Indian & He played most of these bowlers without a Helmet, underlining the fact that bounce was not their main.

I can teach you more about West Indian but I don't waste my time of judgmental & possessed geeks.

• List
  39. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Unfortunately you don't sound all knowing. That's the problem....maybe in your head you do but to everyone else, it is quite clear you aren't! I hate to break this to you but your chips are far too high for your own good. Anyway your list below has once again exposed your own lack of knowledge, like you did when you said Gary Sobers wasn't an all rounder!

Already you are backtracking. Before you were saying 'pace and bounce' and now you are changing just to 'bounce'. Seems like this is going to be a typical 'Isaacking' conversation with constant backtracking, sidestepping, skirting, and avoiding with no attention paid to the facts or the truth.

He was huge. 6ft 3 and with lethal pace. Several batsman were injured after facing his bowling. Just ask Ted Dexter how many bruises he had on his chest and rib area after facing him.

He may have had a yorker but those of us who are old (not me) or have read the history of West Indies cricket will know of his vicious bouncer. Give Nari Contractor a call and he'll tell you about it! His bouncer ended his career!

I won't say anything here Just quote you his cricinfo profile, which maybe you should have read before using him as an example...

' Wisden overview
    "Crofty," a West Indian team-mate once said, "would bounce his grandmother if he thought there was a wicket in it." In a relatively brief career lasting just five years, he established a reputation as one of the most chilling of fast men, with no compunction whatsoever about inflicting pain. '

And I'll show you this video:

Had one of those dangerous bouncers in the history of cricket. I'm really sorry but you should do some research before posting nonsense. Imran Khan described a spell he faced from him as one of the most dangerous he has ever faced!

Huge guy. Absolute beast. Tall, fast and mean!
    As you can see here, was very effective with short bowling:

He did have a very good yorker but being 6ft 8, could really crank it up and do some chin music as well.

Again a very tall bowler at over 6ft3 and by all account he consistently used his height to generate some lethal bounce of the pitch. I can't believe I am even wasting my time telling you these things. You are so ignorant it is unbelievable.

Check out this vicious over from 1981...

Agree an absolutely sensational bowler. But to day he didn't use bounce is like saying the world is flat. He had an almost unplayable bouncer. Like this one...

So earlier in this thread you were saying that you'd rather face Curtley than Waqar because Waqar would get you out and Curtley would hit you. Now you are saying Curtley didn't use bounce? You must be a mental case! I don't use those words lightly. I think it's better for you if you stick to the Pavilion and don't talk about cricket. You know as much about cricket as I do about rocket science.....zilch, nothing. And views like 'Curtley Ambrose didn't use bounce' only highlight that. More evidence....

Again showing your ignorance. Walsh bowled incredibly fast and what stood him out from Holding etc was that he maintained that pace for many years, almost throughout his career. Do you remember hm breaking Prabakhar's nose in 1994? Watch this video...

You are either a windup or a mental case. Don't know which but for the sake of your family and friends (if you have any), I sincerely hope it is the former!

Thanks Grandma.

However I don't take lessons from ignorant people. If I wanted to learn more about West Indies cricket than I already do, I can assure you I wouldn't go to someone who says 'West Indies fast bowlers didn't use pace and bounce' or 'Gary Sobers was not an all rounder'. I'd go to someone who knew what they were talking about. You, quite clearly, don't. That's like me going to Cambridge University and delivering a lecture on Rocket Science......just like you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to cricket.......I'd know just about the same when it comes to rocket science. So rather than make a fool of myself, i'd stay quiet. I suggest you do the same on the cricket forums from now on. There are a lot of people here who know a lot about cricket and you are totally out of your depth. It's for your own good.

40. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    @ Hashibaba :Funny thing about you is that you are simple,plain fool who thinks that bounce of a Tall fast bowler means bouncer.Sorry but bounce of bowler & bouncers are 2 different concept in batting but I am not doing to waste my time of a judgmental fool like you to explain them for you.

When you don't have the smallest of idea about what I was discussing what made you jump into the discussion & prove your foolish? Let me remind you, as usual it was simply your fixation about my posts.

Get some help please for you are becoming pain in my .............. you know what.