Which Pakistan side was most unlucky in the history of the world cup?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Harsh Thakor, Apr 11, 2019.

Which Pakistan side was most unlucky in the history of the world cup?

1. 1975

12.5%
  2. 1979

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1987

25.0%
  4. 1999

25.0%
  5. 2011

37.5%
  6. 1996

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 1983

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Harsh Thakor

Harsh Thakor Youngsta Beauty

May 5, 2011
    Although winners in 1992,Pakistan teams of 1975,1979,1987 and 1999 were more worthy of being winners.

In 1975 Pakistan came within the brink of defeating the eventual champions,West Indies.Chasing a target of 266 runs the West Indies virtually looked dead and buried at 203-9.Creating a sensational twist in the plot the last pair of Roberts and Murray enabled Pakistan to scamper home .West Indies escaped from the depths of despair while Pakistan faltered at the brink of glory.Earlier Pakistan looked cruising home at 170-4 to a victory target of 274 runs to win with 20 overs still to go,against Australia before a sensational collapse.West Indies twice defeated Australia with more conviction than they beat Pakistan which is noteworthy.

In 1979 in the semi-final against West Indies inspite of facing a daunting target of 294 to win Pakistan looked like cruising home at 176-1 with Zaheer Abbas and Majid Khan taking the great Calypso attack to the sword.Sadly after the departure of Zaheer and Majid the Pakistani batting simply capitulated.I feel ikt was major mistake sending Haroon Rashid at no 4 instead of Miandad or Asif Iqbal which slowed the scoring rate considerably.Earlier ina group game aginst England it lost by a paltry margin of 14 runs agiainst England at Leeds.Pakistan gave West Indies a mauch more formidable contest than England did in the final which speaks for itself.

In 1987 Pakistan were hot favourites registering famous wins against England and West Indies.On the day of the semi-final they simply lost their peak form and were defeated.They beat England so emphatically who were the runners up to Australia in the final which speaks for itself.

Somehow I feel Pakistan were unluckiest in 1975,followed by 1979,1987 and 1999 in that order.

Pakistan man to man were arguably the strongest team in 1975 and were robbed of famous win against the champions West Indies.Not to reach the final was really cruel fate.

In 1979 Pakistan were more deserving than England for a place in the final and should have won the semi-final.I would have backed Pak to defeat England in the final.

In 1987 Pakistan was the best team but were just past their best by the time of the knockout stage.

In 1999 they were arguably the atleast the 2nd best if not the best team but often did not play to their potential.Still reached the final unlike unlucky South Africa.

In 1999 Pakistan reached the final but totally disappointed fan sin the final.In the league stage it defeated the eventual winners Australia and came within the skin of their teeth in defeating favourites South Africa.

With more luck Pakistan may well have won the 1975,1979,1987 and 1999 editions,If you asess the talent of their sides .Pakistan had the strongest batting line up in 1975 and 1979 and on both occasions wee on the verge of topling champions WEst Indies.

2. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    I think it has to be between 1987 and 1999.

3. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Contrary to popular opinion, i think 2007 was the unluckiest. We developed a very good odi team from 2004 to 2006 under Bob Woolmer and Inzy and just before WC we lost Shoaib and Asif which completely ruined the morale of team and then that dodgy loss against Ireland. Still break my heart. I completely stopped following cricket after 2007 until that t20 WC in England.

Didnt even follow the first t20 wc properly either.. just knew that misbah ruined it for us lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Agree with. 99 mein final mein Australia takra gaya jis ko rokna namumkin tha kisi bhi team ke liye!!

5. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Agree with this one too! I think 2007 has to be the unluckiest! Inzi had built a very strong team in his tenure that beat major teams~

6. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I still remember how everyone in Pakistan was rooting for Aus in semifinal because we thought that will mean an easy win for Pakistan. Lol

7. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Think ww were achieved number 2 in rankings in both odis and tests before England tour.

8. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    yes we were No. 2 in the test and odi rankings before the Champions Trophy. At CT, Shoaib and Asif were banned for drugs, they missed the world cup as well.

9. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    Dont think so, 2007 team had achieved what it could. we played alot of cricket in the sub continent, and achieved good results here. overseas, in australia and england we were average.

10. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    We were not average in England or South Africa. We were winning in England when Daryll Hair came in our way. In South Africa, we won the final test cus of Inzamam and Shoaib Akhtar. When we faced Australia, our team was completely new but still did well. After all, no team has won in Aus for long then how do you expect a young team to do well in Aus! After Aus tour, we swept india in india and india had some very big names like sachin, dravid, laxman, ganguly, sehwag, dhoni. We humiliated England at home too!! Biggest disappointment for me was Inzi did not remain captain for 10 years and team he created got involved in controversies and lost players as a result otherwise Inzi had left behind a great force to work with!!

11. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
  12. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    It has to be 1987. We should have won that WC easily. In the Semi Final against Australia Imran was wrongly given out in a chase and that was cause of our defeat to Australia who was just a team of rookies. Also in Australia's innings Saleem Jaffar conceded 17 runs in the last over and Pakistan lost the match by the same margin if I remember correctly.

13. Harsh Thakor

Harsh Thakor Youngsta Beauty

May 5, 2011
    Still Pakistan did not bowl or bat at their best against a relatively weaker Australian team.Remember the pathetic start losing 3 wickets for a mere 38 and the manner in which the best bowlers were taken apart by the Aussie batsmen.Ofcourse Australia was talented but Pakistan was not itself on that day .Infact more pressure of playing at home unlike previous world cups.To come within a threshold of defeating champion West Indies in 1975 and 79 was an achievement in itself.In

14. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    2011, pata nahi konsa jaddu India neh kia.

15. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Youngsta Beauty

Apr 16, 2010
    Shoiab and Asif?

In '99
    We had Wasim and Waqar on their peak. Shoaib and Asif don't hold a candle in front of them.

We had Inzi at his Peak we had Razzaq at his Peak. We had Muhammad Yousuf and Moin Khan in prime form - We had Ijaz Ahmed in great touch - we had Saqlain the magician. I mean that team was something else.

I remember trying to make a fantasy team to pick the top players from every team but no matter how hard I tried, I had 8 to 9 players only from Pak.

Losing that WC was totally unexpected. The entire world knew it was walk in park for us with THAT kinda team.

16. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    Koi jadu nahi, hum underpressure agaye thay, just like 1996.

17. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
  18. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    In 99, there was no Waqar! Shoaib was at his peak in that World Cup!!

19. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Shoaib and Asi9f were the best bowlers of their time! We had a settled combination. This was our one day combination:

1. Salman Butt / Asim Kamal
    2. Kamran Akmal
    3. Younus Khan
    4. Inzamam
    5. Mohd Yousuf
    6. Hafeez
    7. Razzaq
    8. Afridi
    9. Arshad Khan
    10. Shoaib Akhtar
    11. Mohd Asif

20. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    I agree it was a dream team. We lost because of our over confidence.

21. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Match karwa lo

1. Saeed Anwar
    2. Wajahatullah Wasti
    3. Razzaq
    4. Inzi
    5. Mohd Yousuf
    6. Azhar Mehmood
    7. Moin Khan
    8. Wasim Akram (C)
    9. Shahid Afridi
    10. Saqlain Mushtaq
    11. Shoaib Akhtar
    V/s.

1. Asim Kamal
    2. Kamran Akmal
    3. Younus Khan
    4. Inzamam (C)
    5. Mohd Yousuf
    6. Hafeez
    7. Razzaq
    8. Shahid Afridi
    9. Shoaib Akhtar
    10. Arshad Khan
    11. Mohd Asif

22. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Imagine Razzaq bowling to Razzaq~

23. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    Agreed. In 99 we lost to a better team on the day, in 87 we lost to a team because dickie bird gave Imran out mistakenly which he admitted later and apologized to Imran.

24. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    NO Jadu, our batters where just lacking guts, would have won easily had we shown the spirit which we showed during 2017 CT.

25. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Youngsta Beauty

Apr 16, 2010
    In ‘87, we didn’t even reach the final. How come we can even consider it to be THE UNLUCKIEST WC?

Yes it was unlucky - Miandad’s wicket was the key but he was bowled by, I think it was Ried, on a very good full length ball. It was a well earned wicket.

But before that, Salim Jaffar (the a-hole is now a national team selector) had given 18 runs in the last over.

In 1987, giving away 18 runs in an over is equivalent to giving 50 runs in an over in this day n age.
    It was unimaginable in those days to give these many runs in an over - I mean that was freaking 32 years ago in a full size ground with 80 meters boundary.

And eventually those 18 runs were the exact difference between the two teams.

Yes it was a very sad day for Pak fans but I wouldn’t call it THE UNLUCKIEST WC for Pak.

26. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Reason for our 2011 loss was that we did not play Shoaib Akhtar in place of Razzaq. If Shoaib had played in place of Razzaq and if he had even picked just 2 wickets, India would have been allout for 200 instead of reaching safe 260~~

27. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    They are always under pressure.
    Apparently Imran was batting like ballistic missile before being given out wrongly, Tauseef got Injured, Saleem Yousaf got Injured, Mudassar Nazar didn't play and Imran miss counted the overs hence why Jaffer bowled last over.