1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Who is our best Test spinner of all time?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Don Quixote, Apr 25, 2017.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Who, according to you is our best ever Test spinner?

Where does Yasir find himself, according to you?

2. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    Shane Warne.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3. DW44

DW44 Youngsta Beauty

Mar 24, 2017
    Sohail Tanvir

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

4. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Yasir is not even the greatest Pakistani. I would rate Saqlain (although he played less), Ajmal and Kaneria all above him. Now dont quote me with stats. Thanks.

5. Ahson8

Ahson8 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 9, 2012
    Yasir's way better than Kaneria. The other two were better yes, but Ajmal turned out to be a chucker.

6. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    No kaneria did it on flat pitches against some very good attacks. Also, Kaneria was hard done by dentonic.

Yasir stats are way inflated.

7. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
  8. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    We were so lucky to have witnessed some quality players like anwar,inzy,yousuf even ijaz ahmed, saqi, razzaq, afridi, was, waqar, shoaib.. everyone a match winner.

Wth is this nonsense now. Not a single likeable player or someone who can win you game singlehandedly

9. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Ijaz Ahmad seriously? Guy was a joke of a batsman.

10. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    The axe man.. lol

I remember one of his inning in lahore where Pakistan chased something like 200 in 26 overs and he murdered indian bowlers. He scored few hundreds against australia as well.

11. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Yasir is good but at this moment he had played very less games to be considered our best spinner. I would say it is between Saqlain & Abdul Qadir.

12. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Oh wait, i cant believe i forgot Qadir

Qadir 1
    Saqi 2

13. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
  14. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Three centuries in Australia and six in total against that ATG Aussie team. That's big time.

15. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    It's between Saqlain and Qadir. Both were great to watch, thinking bowlers, innovators and they took wickets for fun.

Ajmal was no less a prolific wicket taker and bowled in far more batting friendly conditions than either of them, so he is up there too. However the question marks over his action will always hover over him like a cloud, especially the way his career was ended.

16. Don Duckman

Don Duckman Tracer Bullet

Apr 7, 2014
    I don't see why they should. He was cleared in 2009, 11 and then banned after rules change. Under new rules, Murali, Harbhajan etc... would also have gotten banned.

Ajmal clearly has the best numbers for a Pakistani spinner.

17. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    lol, given how savage pak fans are abt yasir, makes me wonder if the internet was around in qadirs time what kinda comments you guys would be leaving.

dont mean to be harsh but a lot of "fans" have no idea about the technical skills or psychological toll it takes for these guys to perform under this incessant judgement.

saqi, yasir, mushi, qadir, kaneria imo (wont go into justifying it unless anyone really interested)

18. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    I'd agree with a few here that Qadir and Saqi are up there. However, Mushy must be in the mix too.

People forget that mushy played in the time that the two Ws were at their prolific best. Those two would leave very little in terms of wickets available to other bowlers. In addition, the
    Pak bowling strategy at the time revolved around pace bowling. Any wickets the spinners took were usually a bonus. Even then, mushy had a phenomenal couple of years in the mid 90s.

Compare this to Danish and Yasir. The whole bowling strategy revolved around them and they had very little competition for wickets (yes I know Danish had akhtar around, but his appearances were sporadic).

By the law of averages, batsmen have to get out at some point and being the only go to bowlers in the team, Danish and yasir would pick up a lot of wickets by default. You'd often see figures of 5-150 or closer to 5-200 (esp with Danish). Those may be 5-fers but pretty empty 5-fers

19. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Yasir Shah, Saqlain, Qadir, Mushie and Ajmal are the contenders. Saqlain was the best in limited overs cricket and so was Ajmal. In tests, I would go with Mushie or Yasir Shah as leg spinners are most successful in test cricket. Havent seen Qadir to comment on him, but he was very good too.
    Kaneria only had stats with no glamour attached to him.

20. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    I don't think Saqlain had much impact in Test cricket compared to ODI cricket. Did Qadir and Mushtaq and Saqlain win games for us almost singlehandedly like Ajmal and Yasir?

21. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Saqlain and Mushtaq and Qadir did infact and were much greater in class as compared to today's cricketers!! The standard of cricket has gone down considerably but still, Yasir and Ajmal are class bowlers!!

22. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Yes Qadir won few games against England & WI. Against England he took a 9fer also in one innings.

23. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    As someone mentioned earlier before we had wasim waqar and then shoaib who used to take a major chunk of wickets and spinners were only for run rate control or secondary job. Nowadays everything is left to spinners.

Besides i remember saqlain once got 3 or 4 consecutive fivers against India in India which shows how good he was. He doesnt have stats to back him but whoever watched him will say that he was one of the best in the world of his time.

24. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    Although Qadir's name will go down in history as the man who kept the cupboard of leg-spin bowling open, I feel he is always vastly overrated by Pakistanis and general viewers alike.

He was truly a magician with the ball but for someone who averaged a whopping 47.58 away from home, he sure thinks of himself too highly. He receives applaud for being a straight-talking individual but every time I've heard him speak, he has always made excuses of any lapses whilst simultaneously insulted any other spinner's performances via pejoratively referring to them as "hard-working", implying unimaginative or mundane. And let's not even talk about his narcisstic tendency to talk about himself in the 3rd person!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/1072043.html

This is a recent interview he did with Umar Farooq. I really wanted Farooq to ask about the reasoning behind his dire performances against India (an average of 70 in India from 8 bowling innings). If you believe I am relying too much on pure statistics, ask yourself why Imran Khan (never one to meekly surrender his principles) - his primary supporter through his career - was forced to drop him at the constant pleading of Javed Miandad, for two much lesser-known conventional spinners in Tauseef and Iqbal Qasim for one of the tensest matches in Pakistan's history - the Bangalore Test of 1987. The answer is crystal clear to me.

25. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    My rating:

Saqlain > Ajmal > Mushy (childhood hero) > Qadir (truly like watching his bowling style but he overrates himself far too much) > Yasir (could move up easily) > Kaneria (is the highest wicket-taker but I always got the impression he took wickets more out of persistence and batsmen becoming tired/looking to accelerate rather than for any real bite in his bowling).

26. Jeetu

Jeetu Youngsta Beauty

Feb 7, 2017
    No one really mentions Iqbal Qasim. Yasir Shah has good chance to earn this spot.
    spinners.jpg

27. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Qadir =Saqlain = Mushie > Ajmal = Yasir Shah = Afridi> Kaneria.

Yasir Shah has potential to improve so much more and deliver 500 wickets for Pakistan in the future in my opinion,. Yasir Shah will become better and better with experience!!
    I seriously believed in Afridi's potential as a test bowling allrounder. His bowling is massively underrated in my opinion and he would have been the best cricketer of the world had he played test cricket consistently!! But, having survived for 20 years is a massive achievement and you cant just survive without being any good!!

@SwingNSeam

28. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    I would go with Saqlain.

29. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    I think Saqlain Mushtaq, Mushtaq Ahmed and could have been Shahid Afridi as well!! But, if I have to pick one, its Saqlain although Mushie runs very close!!

30. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Saqlain Mushtaq any day any time

imo he revolutionized off spin bowling

31. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    In some people's opinion, Saqlain was a better limited overs bowler than test bowler and Mushie was probably better at tests but Saqlains performance specially in that Chennai test in which he bamboozled Sachin twice with doosra made him a good enough test bowler too!!

32. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Yasir Shah has regressed alot in last 2 years but just as he was getting back to his best, this last test match against Bangladesh got called off due to Corona!!

33. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Shane Warne is the best of all time. A true genius.

34. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    OP is asking best spinner for Pakistan

all time I would rate Anil Kumble as best leg spinner of all time :D

35. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Yeah I know just wanted to put all time great also there.

36. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Abdul Qadir was the best leg spinner ever..

If he had the benefits of today's umpire and DRS, he may have taken more then 700 wickets in test.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

37. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
    How do you explain away the small matter of his dismal record against India?

38. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Doesn't have too.

Every bowler/batsman will have a team where he will be below average and for Abdul Qadir India was that team.

I still believe that DRS might have helped Qadir to do better against India too.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

39. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Abdul Qadir and then Yasir Shah

40. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Saqlain and Saeed Ajmal were top notch too specially Saqlain but they are more useful in limited overs cricket than test cricket whereas leggies are more better in test cricket!! Mushie was the best in my opinion as a test spinner!!