Who were the 10 greatest cricketers of the last 40 years?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Harsh Thakor, Jul 11, 2017.

Who was the greatest of these cricketers?

1. Viv Richards

16.7%
  2. Imran Khan

50.0%
  3. Wasim Akram

16.7%
  4. Brian Lara

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Adam Gilchrist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sachin Tendulkar

16.7%
  7. Shane Warne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Ian Botham

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Jacques Kallis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Malcolm Marshall

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Glen Mcgrath

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Richard Hadlee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Muthiah Muriltharan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Sunil Gavaskar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Javed Miandad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Younus Khan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Dale Steyn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Inzamam Ul Haq

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Waqar Younus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Kumar Sangakaara

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Harsh Thakor

Harsh Thakor Cricistani

May 5, 2011
    One of English longest serving cricket writer’s, Scyld Berry, has named West Indies master blaster Viv Richards as the best player he’s witnessed in the past 40 years.
    This English summer will mark four decades covering cricket for The Telegraph for Berry, so to commemorate his ruby jubilee, the veteran compiled a list of the best 40 players during his tenure.

This is the top 10

1. Viv Richards
    2. Imran Khan
    3. Shane Warne
    4. Malcom Marshall
    5. Ian Botham
    6. Sachin Tendulkar
    7. Adam Gilchrist
    8. Jacques Kallis
    9. Brian Lara
    10. Wasim Akram

Since it is about Test cricket, I agree with most of the selection/order.

To me unfair that Sir Richard Hadlee was excluded from Berry's top 10..No bowler let alone paceman so single.handedly bore the brunt of such s weak bowling attack or team .Statistically to take 330 scalps in 60 tests he was even better in than Marshall or Imran from 1978-88.He also had more 5 and 10 wicket hauls than any paceman.

At his best he was a more than competent batsmen having a test hundred against the mighty West Indies.In test cricket Hadley should rate marginally ahead of Wasim Akram as a cricketer and overall arguably by a few inches ahead of Botham. and McGrath in test cricket.Major omission.See how high Imran rated Hadlee.

To me what gave Imran the cutting edge was His greatness as a leader.The other one was his performances against the best team of his time,West Indies.In his peak to me Botham was 2nd to only Sobers and arguably by a whisker a greater match-winner at his best.

No all rounder ever equalled Bothams superlative effort in 1981 Ashes and 1980 Jubilee test.Imran was not at his best both with bat and ball but still overshadowed Botham in series in England in 1982 and 1987.After taking 5 wickets Botham was more likely to score a hundred or fifty than any allrounder, bar Sobers ,Kallis or Miller, At his best Botham as a pure cricketer was the equal of a Tendulkar or Viv Richards.

Still one factor that may go against him is that he was at his best when many great players went to work play in WSC Supertests and Botham faced 2nd string Pakistani and Australian teams.Still as a pure allrounder by a while sketch Botham was ahead of Imran in conditions of England and Australia.

Almost impossible to separate the likes of Imran,Viv,Warne,Tendulkar who may not be separated even in a photo finish. Viv could intimidate opposition or change the complexion of a game more than anyone, Imran shaped a nation's destiny to reach it's highest pinnacle of glory more than any cricketer ,in the manner of a great military general,Warne was the ultimate match-winner and Tendulkar simply took cricketing achievements to their greatest height,defining the modern game more than any player.

Tendulkar missed out as a match-winner but in terms of longevity was the ultimate giant.Most experts give Sachin the edge over Viv and Imran because he virtually defined the modern game and faced more pressure than any cricketer ever,If it was only test cricket then I would personally place Lara above Tendulkar and Viv who could single handedly turn games for a weak batting side like no batsmen since the war.

Lara took creative genius to it' s ultimate height and could register mammoth scores with more frequency than any batsmen ever.I rate home a better match. Winner than Tendulkar at his best.Viv had the advantage of playing for a champion team.Combining ODIs Wasim may rate above Lara ,Botham and Marshall . in test cricket as a cricketer Marshall is just inches below Warne, Viv, Sachin and Imran.

Of Sycld Berry's selection my tentative re-shuffled order is below,one for test cricket and one for test and O.D.I. combined.I assert it is tentative and I will work on a more detailed analysis.I feel it may be unfair to only consider test cricket.I am critical of Berry placing Botham ahead of Tendulkar in a test rating ,excluding Lillee and Hadlee and also ranking Lara so low.Applaud his choice of Viv though.Botham was close to the best ever cricketer in his peak but lacked the element of overall conistency and was not at his best against the best team of his day,the West Indies.

Botham from 1977-81 could have been almost at no in only test cricket but never forget he had an advantage of playing against weaker teams in the Kerry Packer era like Pakistan and Australia.

Below is my reshuffled list of Berry's selection

Only test cricket.

1.Shane Warne
    2.Brian Lara
    3.Sachin Tendulkar
    4.Viv Richards
    5.Imran Khan
    6.Malcolm Marshall
    7.Ian Botham
    8.Jacques Kallis
    9.Wasim Akram
    10.Adam Gilchrist

Test and O.D.I

1.Viv Richards
    2.Sachin Tendulkar
    3.Shane Warne
    4.Wasim Akram
    5.Adam Gilchrist
    6.Imran Khan
    7.Jacques Kallis
    8.Brian Lara
    9.Ian Botham
    10.Malcolm Marshall

If I had to add players of my own in the test section Richard Hadlee would be either at 8th place and Dennis Lillee in 7th position.That would eliminate Adam Gilchrist and Wasim Akram.I would place Hadlee at 9th place instead of Ian Botham in combined test and O.D.I. and replace Marshall with Glen Mcgrath.Sunil Gavaskar came within a whisker of joining likes of Tendulkar in best test match 10 while it was the same case with Javed Miandad in combined test and O.D.I.

My shuffled order with my own additions of players belonging to the same era.

Only test cricket.

1.Shane Warne
    2.Brian Lara
    3.Sachin Tendulkar
    4.Viv Richards
    5.Imran Khan
    6.Malcolm Marshall
    7.Dennis Lillee
    8.Ian Botham
    9.Jacques Kallis
    10.Richard Hadlee

Test and O.D.I

1.Viv Richards
    2.Sachin Tendulkar
    3.Shane Warne
    4.Wasim Akram
    5.Adam Gilchrist
    6.Glen Mcgrath
    7.Imran Khan
    8.Jacques Kallis
    9.Brian Lara
    10.Richard Hadlee

I would apologize if there is element of bias in terms of separating Tendulkar,Imran ,Warne and Viv in test and Warne,Wasim,Tendulkar and Lara in combined.cricket .With critical analysis one may understand why Lara is arguably the king amongst batsmen in test cricket in the sum total of his scores evaluating strength of opposition,situation in which innings scored,playing conditions and impact on match.

No batsmen scored more mammoth totals like Lara or had as high an average percentage score out of the team's total.Viv Richards never had to carry the brunt of such weak side's batting as Brian and in contrast played for a team of world -beaters.Just look at Lara's 5 best innings in test cricket which throws light on his greatness.

In terms of pure bowling artistry or creative genius no paceman was ever the equal of Wasim Akram who was the equivalent of a magician. Wasim was the ultimate champion amongst O.D.I. bowlers.In his peak Wasim could overpower every great bowler even in test cricket.The greatest batsmen like Lara found him the hardest to face.Dennis Lillee was the epitome of agression and perfect skill,Wasim and Lara the ultimate geniuses and Adam Gilchrist in his era was like the Viv Richards of his time making the impact of a bulldozer.No cricketer could at his best turn a game or intimidate opposition like Viv Richards who revealed the aura of a great emperor.

Viv was the king amongst batsmen in O.D.I.cricket turning games more than Tendulkar or Lara.In peak era even in only test cricket Viv was the best of the last 50 years.He fell out only on consistency.Shane Warne did more to shape arguably the best team ever than any cricketer and won more matches than Imran or Viv.In terms of pure cricketing art by a whisker he was the king of them al.Imran was the greatest leader of them all who defined nation's cricket or shaped it's fortunes to reach the top of the pedestal more than anyone.In many ways Hadlee was the equivalent to his country what Lara was to his team spearheading a relatively weak attack of a weaker team.

Statistaically Kallis was the king as an all-rounder but lacked the x factor and did not turn the complexion or shape games like Imran, Viv, Warne and Sachin.On pure stats he could well have been at no 1.At his best Botham was close to the greatest ever and could turn game more than any cricketer.Sadly his form declined after 1982 .In the 1980 Jubliee tset and 1981 Ashse Botham even overshadowed Gary Sobers and from 1977 was on par with Viv Richards and Dennis Lillee as a cricketer.

No paceman amongst right arm bowlers were as complete as Lillee and Marshal, the former classically complete,the latter a genius.Lillee took cricketing agression to its highest zenith and was the epitome of fast bowling perfection while Marshall took innovation or creative art in pace bowling to a degree no right arm paceman ever achieved.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    @Harsh Thakor It is good to see you back on the forums and posting again. I have just made some changes to your post as in putting it in paragraphs which is easier to read and keeping the names, teams in bold.

3. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cricistani

May 29, 2010
    1. Imran Khan
    2. Wasim Akram
    3. Shane Warne
    4. Saeed Anwar
    5. Steve Waugh
    6. Inzamam
    7. Shoaib Akhtar
    8. Saqlain Mushtaq
    9. Gilchrist
    10. Shahid Afridi
    11. Mark Waugh
    12. Mohd Yousuf
    13. Kevin Pieterson
    14. Freddie Flintoff
    15. Aamir Sohail
    16. Younus Khan
    17. Misbah
    18. Mushtaq Ahmed
    19. Michael Vaughan
    20. Trescothick
    @SwingNSeam

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  4. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Cricistani

Sep 1, 2010
    Where's waqar?

5. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Cricistani

Sep 5, 2010
  6. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    No Mohammad Hafeez as well?

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Member

Jun 27, 2017
    wheres bumrah and yadav

learn cricket buddy

8. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    bumrah and yadav, seriously? playing on which side?

9. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Cricistani

Jul 17, 2017
    Over the last 10 years
    Smith
    Kohli
    Root
    Williamson
    Starc
    Boult
    Philander
    Cook
    Angelo Mathews
    Amir(Perhaps,have to stick a Pakistani in)

Over the last 20 years
    ABD
    Hashim Amla
    Younis Khan
    Ricky pointing
    Sangakarra
    Ntini
    Akhtar
    Brett Lee
    Abdul Razzaq
    Kallis

Over the last 30 years
    Wasim Akram
    Allan Donald/Ambrose
    Waqar Younis
    Glenn McGrath
    Shane Warne
    Murali
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Brian Lara
    Inzamam ul haq
    Steve Waugh

Over the last 40 years
    Viv Richards
    Ian Botham
    Imran Khan
    Richard Hadley
    Kapil Dev
    Javed Miandad
    Alan Border
    David Gower
    Michael Holding
    Malcolm Marshall

Keepers:
    Quinton De Kock
    Adam Gilchrist
    Ian Healy
    Jeff Dujon

Look at how the quality has superierized as we go down the generations.

10. Double Agent

Double Agent Member

Jun 27, 2017
    your biased if you think wasim marshall waqar imran mcgrath our better

11. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Over the last 10 years:
    1. Younus Khan
    2. Misbah
    3. Amir
    4. Yasir Shah