Wholesale Changes?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Juggernaut, Aug 28, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Cricistan's Pehlwan

Feb 17, 2010
    Pakistan's performances in this test series, in fact for the last few months have been 'below par' to use the term loosely.

So as Rameez Raja put it many months ago during the tour of Sri Lanka I think it's definitely time for whole sale changes to our test squad to at least make us competitive in the short term.

Our batting has been absolutely atrocious. I'd stick with Salman Butt at the top simply because we have no other choices. Not the way to go about it but beggars can't be choosers.

Taufiq Umar, Younus Khan and Fawad Alam need to be brought back into the team asap.

Taufiq has done reasonably well in domestic cricket over the last few years. He has decent technique and a good record with Pakistan. He at least deserves another crack at the highest level.

Younus Khan has a fantastic record in test cricket, he's a wonderful fielder and should be reunited with Moyo at 3 and 4 for Pakistan. Younus even at this late stage in his career will provide some much needed grit and graft in the middle order.

I think with him in the middle order the pressure on Yousuf will be considerably less and may just allow him to play with a little less on his mind.

Fawad Alam is a good fielder, a committed cricketer and despite his supposedly dodgy technique has scored runs when given the chance. Just like the Younus the lad has a bit of grit and determination about him.

Azhar Ali in my opinion has done enough to be given further opportunities at the highest level. He needs to improve his game in quite a a few areas but he can only do that by playing more games. His ground fielding and catching is very good. There's definitely enough to work with there.

A lot of people are a bit miffed with Umar Akmal. But remember this: he is talented, of this there is no doubt. A century on debut in foreign conditions in a difficult situation is not to be sniffed at. Also if you doubt his talent remember what got him into the team in the first place. The lad pummeled and I mean pummeled Australia in Australia with the A team in both versions of the game.

He needs to work on his temperament and his fielding yes but but getting rid of him altogether would be unwise.

As for the wicketkeeper slot Zoni needs to get fit quickly and get back in the team. No need to explain why: the alternative is Kamran Akmal.

The bowling is good not great. Certainly not the best in the world. Gul needs to get back as quick as possible. He is still our best third seam option. Despite this I don't think we should give up on Wahab just yet. He should continue to be in the squad at least.

We should stick with Ajmal as the spin option. Raza Hasan has talent but I think we should be having a look at Yasir Shah aswell. He's been good over the last few domestic season. He's doing well for Pakistan A in Sri Lanka in 50 overs. I dearly hope he continues his good form in the longer version of the game.

Last but not least fingers crossed some of our A team players have a great couple of first class games against Sri Lanka A and force themselves into the reckoning for senior selection. Hammad Azam had a great day with the bat recently. I hope and pray he takes the longer version of the game as seriously.

Your thoughts?

2. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    Great post,what is there to say ? I squarely place the blame on Ijaz Butt's selfish ego.Just recall Younis Khan.

Do you see other teams with such a dictatorial chairman ? They are peripheral figures,the selection committee MUST be given priority.

Huge lack of quality,we need a overhaul of First Class cricket and get these FTBs to play on seaming wickets(hell,it werent even seaming out there) and get that technique 110% right otherwise dont select them.Also,its a lack of mental strength.As soon as we are put under pressure,we self-destruct and go into panic mode.

Cant blame Yousuf for not performing since theres a lot of rust to be shaken off.The rest have no excuses in a pitch with no demons at all.74 all out along with the other pathetic scores is not good enough for a Test nation,even Bangladesh and Zimbabwe wouldnt sink without trace like this.

I shudder to think what'll happen vs South Africa.Steyn and Morkel will be licking their lips !

3. sheikh

sheikh Emerging Player

May 10, 2010
    The problem is the first change bowler. We have used Wahab but he was rather ineffective in this test match. So we definitely need a very good first change bowler if we are to compete. I agree fawad and yonuis must be selected to the test team. End of the road for Imran Farhat, so we need an opener who can stick around and protect the team from the new ball!!!

And we need to get rid of these flat tracks in Pakistan to challenge batsmen's techniques and build temperments!!

4. sheikh

sheikh Emerging Player

May 10, 2010
    If this those 7 pakistan players are found guilty of match fixing, then they should indeed be thrown out of the side. Wholesale changes must be made in the team as well as in the administration!!

5. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    Well it means that whole sale changes would be necissiated by circumstances.

6. amir51

amir51 Youngsta Beauty

Aug 29, 2010
    Please, no more recycled rejects like Hafeez, Iqbal, Misbah and Taufeeq.

YK needs to be brought back ASAP. Fawad deserves a run in the team to show what he is made of.

7. pakfan

pakfan Youngsta Beauty

Feb 21, 2010
    Team of non Match fixers and youngsters :-

Azhar Ali
    Umar Amin
    Fawad Alam
    Younus Khan
    Shahid Afridi
    Shehryar Ghani
    Zulqernain Haider
    Yasir Arafat