Why is Zafar Gohar consistently ignored???

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by sabeeh, Mar 1, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. sabeeh

sabeeh Youngsta Beauty

Feb 23, 2015
    A very good bowler for all formats for me. A left arm bowl who can turn the bowl and varies his pace would have been great addition for Pakistan team inplace of Imad in Onday. He could have been the replacement of Rehman in tests.

I know he was selected once for the test match against SRL and he missed the flight, dont know what happened...... and after that he was never selected again. Again a very good bowler who should have been playing for Pakistan for last 2-3 years. A gun fielder and a handy batsman as well.

Your thoughts?

@Mercenary

2. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Also Mohammad Asghar?! Where is he??

3. sabeeh

sabeeh Youngsta Beauty

Feb 23, 2015
    Asghar is a good bowler but not as good as Zafar.

Asghar is with Quetta team and play for National bank in domestic matches. He hasnt done as well as Zafar in shorter and longer format.

4. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
  5. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Both are talented. Both criminally ignored.

6. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Could be two reasons.

A) Stupid selectors (including CS) dont even know him.
    B) Neither he is Inzy's nephew nor holds any connection within PCB.

Zafar is one of those spinners in Pakistan who can actually spin the ball, which is spinners primary job.

7. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    I've heard many times generally left arm spinners are not as special. Asghar I remember got zilch success when he played a tour game in WI. I'm not Imams fan exactly but he seems to be a player picked on ability look how Fakhar was exposed in SA whilst Imam played very well so fans need to stop criticising Inzi.

Considering our poor spin stocks both of them deserve a chance along with Kashif Bhatti in longer format for shorter format It's time to be quirky and introduce Usama Mir, Abrar Ahmed, Ibtisam and Umer Khan.

8. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    @sabeeh

I have no idea. Just looked at his domestic stats. His batting doesn't seem to have matured so maybe they prefer bowlers like Shadab and Nawaz who can bat as well.

Having said that he should definitely be playing PSL. Same for Raza Hasan. Hammad Azam is buried down the order and not given a chance too.

9. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Asghar is ordinary. Even Umer Khan is better.

Zafar is the biggest turner of the ball in the country

10. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    because both are bad.

11. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Just caught up with todays games and Gohar played today. He turns the ball so much. Hard to see why he's ignored so much.

12. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Gohar deserves to be in the squad. He's a much better bowler at this point than both Imad and Shadab. He should get a long look in the Aussie ODIs with Shadab resting. We need 2 excellent spinners in ODIs. That has been a formula for success for the Indians with Kuldeep and Chahal leading them.

13. sabeeh

sabeeh Youngsta Beauty

Feb 23, 2015
    He is a classic left arm spinner with a beautiful action.
    I remember he played one game last year against Peshawar and took 4 wickets. His ball in that match to Sammy was an absolute beauty. He didn’t play afterwards as Samit Patel was playing with Shadab as spinner.

I feel he is not selected because of discipline issue. As I said before he missed his flight to reach uae when Yasir got injured and he had to play. He missed the flight for what reason, not sure. Regardless he should have been playing with Shadab in one days.

14. sabeeh

sabeeh Youngsta Beauty

Feb 23, 2015
    Absolutely......but I am sure it’s not going to happen

15. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    He's a better bowler than Imad and Imads batting has not matured or improved enough to warrant his continued selection as an all rounder.

Gohar should definitely be playing ahead of Imad. Based on the limited opportunities he's gotten, Gohar is the best spin bowling talent we have.

16. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Imad played some scintillating innings against South Africa. He currently has hit a 50 every 6 innings ( more than decent given his batting position) and bats at a very high SR.

His bowling is not the most threatening but overall he keeps control and has a low ER.

For some reason Imad is usually the first player people want to axe but his performances have been pretty good.

17. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I missed that series, I was just basing it on the poor batting form I've seen in the PSL.

18. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    In t20I his space in the side is safe. He has such wonderful stats in the format thats his batting doesnt even come into the equation!

19. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    The thing I appreciate about imad is he plays better against better teams. That's a rare quality.

20. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    I will never select a spinner who cant bat.