Why Pakistan players are mentally weak?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jan 4, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Title says it all, in your opinion what's the cause?

I think lack of cricket in Pakistan is the biggest reason and also pitch in domestic doesn't help the cause. We need batting friendly pitches, for batsman to learn how to bat and bowler to make effort to take wickets.

What I dont understand is that why PSL isn't helping when it comes to handle pressure. Our players simply dont know how to counter attack - WHY?

@axl100mph @Sultan Yusuf @ShokoTolo_LoloMoto @KingOfDoosra @Shahzad.Firdous @mohsin88ali @godzilla

Thought?

2. thair9999

thair9999 Youngsta Beauty

Oct 17, 2010
    No it is due to our overall situation. We are all have a victim mentality and believe in biggest conspiracy theory that everything ever bad happen to Pakistan is someone else's making. So instead of making ourselves batter we always try to find excuses to blame it on someone else.

3. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Well said.

Sent from knowhere.

4. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    It's got VERY little to do with lack of cricket and pitches, as those are only surface problems.

Our biggest problem is the same one we face as a nation.
    We just don't accept the ramifications of our decisions. When we don't admit doing anything wrong, we don't do anything to improve it as well. Hence the lack of evolution in our thought process.

Sent from knowhere.

5. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    PSL won’t help. We hyped Talat up to the moon after a few boundaries against non regulars, but because no one else apart from Babar was doing well the fans got desperate without taking into consideration that Malik looked like Virat Kohli in PSL.

As far as being mentally weak is concerned, I reckon Misbah has rubbed it on to Asad and Azhar who are already timid players and other youngsters have become used to collapse which is bad because teams suffer a bad collapse once every five years, now we have suffered 5-6 huge collapse in space of two years and many other collapses, in every match they have seen a collapse they are always fearing the worst and in that mindset someone starts another collapse.

6. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Yes, completely agree, Asad Shafiq kept on saying there is whole series left we will win during NZ series, a person who admits mistakes and then analysis mistake is a very wise person, I mean you do what you want, keep brushing it under the carpet you will be dropped eventually and that’s what you’re afraid of.

7. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Thanks, and do you know what's the saddest part?
    The fact that Shafiq and others like him are SOO afraid of being dropped that they don't change any flaw in them.
    Which, if they did do, would have allowed them more success at the highest level.

Take Shahid Afridi for an example.
    The guy had such immense talent that he should have ended with some 13-14k runs in ODI'S + 500+ wickets.
    And some 4-5k runs + 200+ wickets in Tests.
    But that didn't happen. Why? Because he refused to EVOLVE.
    He was still the rough diamond on his last day of international cricket just as he was on his first.

Sent from knowhere.

8. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Then why we have produced cricketers like Zaheer, Imran, Javed, Wasim, Waqar, Anwar, Inzy and Yousuf etc (if we dont do anything to improve)?

New generation comes announce themselves in Intl cricket with a bang, but then once team look and workout on them, they dont do enough hardwork to encounter them. This is the issue in my book.

9. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Same thing what I said in post #8, if they're the worse then how come we have produced exceptional cricketers?

As I said, I dont think our crickets these day work hard enough to stay relevant in Intl cricket. Players in the 80's and 90's would always vouch for the fact that Imran, Javed, Wasim, Waqar would work harder than anybody in the nets on their skills, fitness. Why dont I see this attitude today? What do our current set of players do in their down time against from being busy on social media?

10. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Im actually surprised in someone like Asad Shafiq. Given my experience of people who grow up in megacities they are usually pretty tough and proactive.

Growing up and becoming a successful cricketer in a city like Karachi which is one of the toughest cities on earth required real mental toughness.

Anyone who has played even a basic level of cricket in England will really feel the heat playing even tape ball against Karachites.

Growing up in such a city isnt easy, having to navigate through a tough cricket culture against other hardened individuals also cant be easy.

So how the hell are these guys always failing under pressure?

11. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    We have a thread open to discuss this :D

https://cricistan.com/threads/why-pakistan-players-are-mentally-weak.48285/

12. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol! Well played @Del

13. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    On a serious note, I had this thought yesterday and really wanted to discuss this disease.

14. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Where is the highest Test scorer of Pakistan in this list. Among all the players mentioned he was one of the toughest when it comes to mental toughness.

15. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I was referring to older generation of 80's and 90's that's why purposely didn't mention him.

Sure, lets add him in the list too, but question still stand, why resilience is missing in current lot?

16. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    An army of sheep lead by a Lion is better than an army of Lions lead by a sheep. You got the point?

17. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I understand, but didnt everybody say that Afridi was "attacking" captain?

18. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    He was an attacking player but not attacking or good captain. After Imran the only good captain I saw was Younis Khan but it was our misfortune that he was too temperamental.

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I think beside Imran and Younis nobody is/was deep thinker of the game. Nobody had or have ability to change things around, all our captains wait for things to happen, rather than FORCE them in their favor.

20. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Yes that's a big factor.

21. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Admitting that there is a problem is the first step forward.

Our players always like to blame the problems we have on the pitches in Pakistan, the merit system, no international cricket being played and so on.

What Shan Masood said at the press conference yesterday was the perfect response to all of these excuses. Just go back and work on your problems. ATG players have always mentioned that the best coach is the player himself. You know yourself better than anyone else does. If you know you are weak against short balls then do something about it rather than crying about it. If you have been dropped because you're constantly getting out by similar deliveries, then do something about it. If you have been dropped because of your wayward bowling, then go back to domestic cricket and work on your accuracy.

It's easily blaming other people. It's hard to accept one's own shortcomings.

22. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Youngsta Beauty

Apr 16, 2010
    Underlined above nails it.
    As I stated earlier, does the coach or public or team mates or his wife asks Kohli to spend extra time in nets and in gym to stay on top of his game? NO! He does it with his own will.

Our players have an attitude issue towards their game, and they seem to be only good in raising their collars and giving sajda's after hitting a 50 against Afghanistan.

23. thair9999

Oct 17, 2010
    This is why we can count our greats on figures (and only one hand needed). Those greats did work hard and evolved as needed. Talent can only take you so far, and in international cricket the players you play against are not "Mohalla, gully players". They will learn about you and exploit any flaws they can find, so you have to evolve as well. New generation players need to stop blaming and start focusing on improving. The new generation have so many facilities that were not there before and still they can't improve.

24. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    What you're saying I have said the same (I dont see hunger and drive in younger lot to improve either), but I disagreed when you were generalizing and painting everybody with the same brush. That's why used some names.

25. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Pakistan as whole as learned the art of adjusting to the given situation and that is what we are able to see in Players too. Be it cricket,squash or hockey are everyone is happy in its own well.

The never dies fighting spirit of Imran lead team is no where to be seem and that is what is hurting Pakistan rightnow. Pakistan is soft too sweet kind of team that it like by their opponents. IF other don't dislike you when your are winning then surely there is something very wrong about you as a winner.

26. thair9999

Oct 17, 2010
    You are absolutely correct that I should have refrain from generalizing. Same as you I don't see drive in younger players anymore.

27. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    On contrary, Shan's attitude is a breath of fresh air :).

28. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Victim mentality and ofcourse financial situation before being selected.

29. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    they play for themselves, thats the simple answer.

cricket is their bread and butter. just like any other normal employee, they try to save face as much as they can in hard times.

latest example, haris sohail running back to Pakistan

30. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Long and short, they don’t care. The generation that started with the Shoaib maliks, abdul razzaq’s, hafeez on to akmals, Azhar, Asad - they are all interested in securing their places for the next match. That’s it.

This is why I say we need to build a team around a nucleus of players that have character, guts and fight. Shadab, Fahim, Fakhar, Hasan Ali. These are the players to take the team forward

31. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    No Babar?

Shadab and Fahim are imo best type of T20 players but Tests isn’t for them, Hassan Ali is our Ajit Agarkar maybe if he’s does great he’ll reach Umar Gul level, average players who over a long period of time will have average stats but in our mind we will think they are better.

32. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Stop making assumptions, how would you like it if someone accused you of something you never did?

Or maybe I’m naive but one thing is for sure when Australia or England player gets injured everyone believes it and no one says oh they are running away even on tough tour because they realise injuries do occur.

33. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    umm....dont they play for the money ?

34. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    They do.

35. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    so earning a good chunk of money is a big deal and anyone doing that would want it to last longer and people generally take the easy route and be lazy about it which results in face hiding, excuses and stuff

36. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Okay, lol, I get it now.

Cheers,

37. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    I think Sami is probably one of the most mentally weakest player ever. Guy has everything but no brain and no mental toughness. What a waste

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk